Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone know if these shows are intended to be one offs, or if there is a chance of additional seasons? Seems to me like the way they are doing it is that this is structure like "Marvel: The TV Show" with each story being one of five seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Coffeehitler posted:

It is unfortunate that Fox owns Dr. Doom, so there's little chance of Luke Cage getting to perform the antics leading to "Where's my money Honey?" $300 bucks is the best reason to help a coup attempt and then put down said coup attempt. I am pretty curious if Jessica Jones is just going to be Alias, I don't remember any comics for her before that came out.

Alias invented JJ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Actually JJ invented Alias. Not long after Felicity.

Thats it turn in your mod star and gun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, the showrunners are preparing for a second season already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Tim Goodman (THR) and Noel Murray (freelance, but mostly AV Club) didn't like the screener episodes. Aside from that, all the opinions/reviews I've seen have been positive, though a lot of the critics still haven't weighed in.

Here's the AV Club reveiw B-, but it seems his problems were mostly matters of taste and nothing dealbreaking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since Netflix's model is all about adding new subs and retention, have you or anyone you know subbed to Netflix because of DD?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Midnight PST.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deakul posted:

AVClub hasn't been the best source for reviews in a while, I feel, since Sepinwall left.
The reviewers they have are all pretty biased by way of political views mostly, they basically end up letting one thing in a tv show's episode define the entire thing for them.(going by The Good Wife, Agents of Shield, and Shameless)

Just feels like they've become unprofessional in a way, immensely nitpicky, or maybe it's because they use a terrible rating system.

Bro Sepinwall never wrote for AV Club.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

Isn't he supposed to be like a lovely public defender ala Jimmy from BCS though? Or is that just something I've made up in my mind?

Nah he's like the best trial lawyer in 616.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd go with Matt over Jenn sorry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That's often because when stuff does go to court, it's because she managed to talk Spider-Man into suing the Bugle for defamation, not realising he'd have to name himself in the suit.

It's because he's black.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

This will be the first Netflix show since Arrested Development that I'll actually probably watch in less a than week. Except Kimmy Schmidt, but that was much shorter.

I remember you saying once that you weren't subbed to Netflix so did you sign up because of Daredevil? If a lot of people do that as well, things are looking good for more Marvel on Netflix. I'd be very interested to see how they model sub churn and how it correlates to original programming releases.

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess they don't have to model poo poo. They can straight up see if you sub, binge watch a show, and stay around or not. I really wish every channel had that kind of data.

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just started watching and this is already loving fantastic. General question: is there any way at all to track the likelihood that a Netflix series will be renewed? Certainly seems like the critical reviews are giving this show a good shot, I'm just curious.

So far almost everything they've done has gotten more than one season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ShineDog posted:

Being part of this defenders metaseries kind of complicates it. You could kind of view DD/JJ/LC/IF as preassured renewals of the same thing, perhaps. This is going to be running for a few years.

Yeah, kind of the way it looks now is that it's "Marvel: The TV Series" with each character/Defenders being a "season". So if they wanted to do a DD season for next year it would shoot alongside Luke Cage/Iron Fist, and if they wanted a third it would be shooting with Defenders. I have no idea how the production deal works so I don't know if this is a big deal or not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will recommend watching with a good set of headphones or stereo system, they spent a lot of effort on the audio.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really like the use of color, shadows and light.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

01x02
No loving way was that hallway fight one long take. There has to be a hidden cut in there somewhere, jesus gently caress

Yeah there are like 3 pretty obvious ones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really really hope this becomes a multiple season run, I will be super disappointed if this is the last of Charlie Cox Daredevil (outside of Defenders). I'd love to see how these guys do Daredevil and Elektra.

I think this Netflix Marvel thing is going to work out pretty well, guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e X posted:

I'd love to see this series take on Bullseye, since his abilities can be very interesting and I imagine he would be somewhere been his 616 and Max incarnations.

I just want to see the "But me...I'm magic" scene in live action.

One thing I liked about the series is that they took fresh looks at standard comic book themes. Many pages back someone remarked that the "we're not so different you and I" speech Kingpin gave Matt over the radio was super cliched, and he was right. But how the show elevated itself was by actually making that true. Both men were heavily shaped by their fathers, who they lost at an early age. They both grew up orphans, they both love Hell's Kitchen and NYC. You do get the sense that the main difference is that Fisk doesn't have lines he won't cross, while Matt does. It also goes into the "Why doesn't Batman just kill Joker" question of principles vs. expediency. Rather than just make it a "if we kill him then we're no different from them" thing, they explore why it's bad for a hero to do what is expedient over what is right. I was a big fan of the priest character and I really liked his polluted-fountain metaphor. I though the show did a better job of explaining why heroes have a no-kill rule than I've seen, certainly in live action.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

And also Crane Mother is from Ku'n-Zi, not K'un-L'un.

Stick's good ninja clan doesn't have any connection to the hidden cities right? At the end of 07 where "Stone" was talking about Matt being ready when the doors open, those were the only doors I could think of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I really liked the actor that played James Wesley, I was really sad to see him go. He was like the most competent henchman ever. Well right up to putting a loaded gun on the table.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Right, The Chaste and The Hand are their own separate thing.

Wait, so the Hand has a connection to the hidden cities?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heathen posted:

Rachael Taylor as Hellcat? That's new. Will she be replacing Spider-Woman?

That's the supposition (but replacing Carol).

I don't know how they are going to do Jessica Jones. A big part of her story is that she was this background B-level superhero and it was that place in a well established, lived in Marvel universe was pretty important to the story. Jewel's powerset would make her a legit A-lister in the MCU and it would be weird to try and play this "well she's always been here but you've never heard of her" idea. I imagine they are going to way power her down but how do you play with the past as a superhero when there are so few superpowers in the current MCU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Well you're in luck because they did that scene almost word for word in the movie.

Never seen it never will.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I thought it was funny that the first we heard of his son was right before he got tossed down an elevator shaft. Like "Don't worry we're not taking the Owl off the table".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, well that was the first time I heard it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did like that getting a costume was whole plot point and process. I've always thought it was silly how most superheroes arrive at their costumes. Peter Parker must be one hell of a seamster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing about Kingpin is that once he puts his hands on you, you are completely hosed. D'Onofrio nailed that sense of just being a huge, unstoppable powerhouse that you cannot hope to stand up to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am glad they didn't go for the 3% bodyfat thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get why some people might not have liked the way they portrayed Kingpin, but it's about the most interesting take on a comic book bad guy that I've seen.

How many times were y'all sure they were about to say "kingpin" and then they never did.

Another thing I liked about the show is that they never really held your hand. Like, in the flashback episode where Bill Fisk sits Kingpin Jr down in front of that wall, you go, ooohh that's why he really liked that painting in episode 4 and hung it on his wall. A lesser show would've had some throwaway expository speech to Vanessa or Wesley spelling it out.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Naw, probably a Chipotle.

Also how does Matt tell the difference between them? That was my question.

They're made of different materials.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm hoping we'll see Fat Cobra in the Iron Fist series. He was a hoot in the comics.

I really, really hope they do the Fraction run for the series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luke Cage has got to be in the rest of the shows right? And Danny has to be in the Luke Cage show, along with Jessica Jones. I feel like the latter three series are going to be interconnected, it'll be cool to see if they do some Daredevil appearances

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Best of all there's no corny "YOU AND I ARE LIKE BROTHERS AREN'T WE" moment because they hardly ever directly interact. They don't know about each other, we the viewer get it but of course Fisk doesn't give a poo poo about who Matt's dad was, Matt doesn't give a poo poo that Fisk genuinely thinks he's fixing thing. It's like the priest says, Satan doesn't mean one specific dude, it's just 'the adversary', that's what they both are to eachother, their adversaries.

No there is. Fisk tells Matt they are very alike over the radio when Matt is trapped in that building with Vladimir. The reason it rose above that cliche is that one of the main themes is how similar Matt and Fisk are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's tryin' Ringo. He's tryin' real hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol, apparently she didn't catch the part that Daredevil has super powers and can tell when people are lying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I have long waited to see Iron Fist literally punch a Dragon to death. It better not be metaphorical. I want him to beat a dragon to death with his bare hands and then punch through it's chest.

Uh is there another way to become an Iron Fist?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prepare yourself for Danny to not be Asian.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think this is a dumb argument but just a tick: are you saying Karen Page and Wilson Fisk are the same age?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Law school takes 3 years.