Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Harry posted:

I thought they handled things really poorly with Fisk. I really thought he was going to get away at the end of the season and become the actual Kingpin. I don't think he ever truly won at any point, and they'd kind of do some random ham-fisted approaches to show that he was in charge, and then almost the very next scene would show he wasn't.

As mentioned earlier as well, his evil plan of tearing down the shithole slums was kind of dumb. Atleast try to run the angle that it was to gain control of some valuable [whatever] and be evil with it bit.

Well for one thing, he wasn't really in charge, he was part of a collective with other powerful members. Gao and Nobu were both more powerful with more powerful backers, the show makes that plainly clear.

In addition, it wasn't an "evil" plan for tearing down the slums. It was just a plan, it is what he wanted to accomplish because he thought it would make the city better. Fisk thought he was the good guy until the very last episode. Again, the show makes this extremely clear. Having him to do it to gain control of some MacGuffin to be evil would not fit with the character, and would also just be stupid because why do we need more MacGuffins.

Edit: I feel like the people that have a problem with the Kingpin are projecting what they expected/wanted in the Kingpin into the character and then complaining that stuff doesn't make sense to their own version of Fisk, instead of understanding who the Fisk we actually got in the show is. Complaining that he didn't have some super overarching evil objective for Hell's Kitchen is just stupid if you actually watched more than 10 minutes of the show.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Harry posted:

Yeah he gave the speech, but by this point his power has taken a massive hit, his partners are dead/gone, and half his money is as well (I can't remember if he manage to salvage that). He did manage to orchestrate the getaway I guess, so they will probably just be like "oh all his money and power is back".

It's not about what he has left. It's about the fact that he knows who he is now. If you think that the new Fisk with clarity of mind cannot recover what was lost and be stronger than ever you missed the point.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Small touch I liked was that "The Power Broker" was the only visible book when Fisk was speaking with Urich. Speaks very well to Fisk's ambitions with re-designing NYC.

I didn't notice that, that's amazing.

Fisk wasn't nearly as evil as Robert Moses though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Matt was recovering from being at death's door roughly 10 minutes before that fight

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

nelson posted:

I meant the last episode fight, not the one after he fought Nobu.

I was referring to that fight as well and exaggerating regarding the 10 minutes thing. You don't recover from almost dying to being fully in fight shape within a day or two.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Stugazi posted:

In the early part of the season, specifically the shipping container scene, he was a wholly different character than he was the last couple episodes when anyone he encountered put hands on him without much trouble (extra dimensional ninjas and super powered fatasses aside).

It's a great show and I am sperging out about these details. I hope for next season DD maintains a certain baseline and if he's gonna get stomped on the competition is overwhelming in number, has an unfair advantage or has their own explicitly defined super powers.

Sperg out on the correct details then such as the increasing amount of injuries and scars and the fact that Nobu almost loving killed him just a few days before that last fight with Kingpin. Meditation healing only gets you so far.

These complaints are so weird.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

I guess it speaks to the realism the show is trying to invoke that we're having conversations about this. I saw Age of Ultron yesterday and everyone in it took at least one hit that should have shattered all of their bones and they were all just fine.

Sure but that's comparing apples to Norse God Oranges. Matt has heightened senses, in every other respect he's just a really fit, well-trained dude like Hawkeye.

Thor is Thor.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

wormil posted:

They were fantastic characters but that doesn't mean their contribution to the story was worth the amount of screentime given. I would rather some of that time be given to a main character.

This post is blowing my loving mind. Read it and somehow try and make sense of it at your own peril.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Rarity posted:

Ben dying was the only way his story arc could have ended. He's an old school reporter invested in a dying medium doing a type of journalism that is a dying art. Ben's type of journalism doesn't work on the internet not unless he's writing articles like 'Top 6 Possible Identities of Daredevil'. Ben represents the whole of print journalism, there's no place for him in the modern world so he had to die just as newspapers and magazines are dying.

Sorry, no. The story needs tightening up, someone was given way too free a hand with this. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but they need a much clearer vision going into season 2. Really if its not one of the two main characters what is the point of even showing the character? The only two people who should appear on my screen are Matt Murdock and Wilson Fisk.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

wormil posted:

But ultimately none of that matters to the greater point of whether these character's storylines went anywhere, because they didn't. They are dead, their plotlines ended, and everything they tried to accomplish was for naught. A characters value to the story is not dependant on how interesting they are.

This guy understands TV shows. Hell, he's cracked the secret to writing, and even - dare I say it - life in general.

We who die are worth nothing.

Fin.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mr.capps posted:

i like the group of people who think they are "genre savvy", but only see stories are as a bunch of actions done by characters and plot as a wavy line while ignoring the important things like motivation, characterization, theme, and whether or not the story has tim curry

wormil posted:

I agree those characters added something to the show but they were not main characters, not even returning characters.

Look on my works and despair.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mr.capps posted:

what are your opinions on tim curry

:mediocre:

Just kidding, he's shiny and chrome.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Nerdist is reporting that the new showrunner has been referring to season 2 as "Daredevil vs Punisher"

Oh my god this is even better than I could have hoped

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Gyges posted:

Why does Foggy not care then? I'm fine with Matt, or really any of the characters, not being affected by Nobu's death. But considering all the justified poo poo Foggy and at other points Rosario Dawson give him about his activities it should have been discussed. Especially when Foggy was super pissed right after finding an almost dead Daredevil who turned out to be his best buddy Matt.

How would Foggy know? That doesn't make sense. Unless you're making the assumption that Matt told him exactly what happened in some offscreen conversation, because I don't remember him doing so onscreen.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Heathen posted:

For one, I doubt Marvel just scraped together five properties and pitched them to Netflix en masse only to go "poo poo, we didn't think this through."

Secondly, the only "Iron Fist in limbo" rumor I could find starts on CinemaBlend who links back to a birthmoviesdeath.com article written by Devin Faraci. For those who don't remember Devin Faraci is the is the guy who tweeted that the then upcoming Daredevil show was very bad. Then when the show came out and everyone loved it he briefly went with "oh I haven't seen it I'm just passing along what I'd heard" defense, before he eventually started outright insulting people.

Daredevil had an entire episode dedicated to Stick, The Hand and the Beast so I doubt they're changing their minds now. This all sounds like standard internet clickbait bullshit.

Was about to do this detective work myself because this sounded like bullshit, thanks for doing it first!

How can a show even be in "limbo" when it doesn't begin shooting for another year anyways.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Electra is going to be so annoyingly cliche isn't she. Are they going to flirt while they fight?

Yes this is definitely a thought that would go through my head after the first season.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

He does though

My understanding was that he doesn't get physical with her, but does so with other women in front of her which obviously would gently caress you up.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

If they don't go full Mortal Kombat with Iron Fist I'll be disappointed.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

OK finally we have something approaching an actual trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2hbejO75s

Purple Man confirmed creepy

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

All the twitter reactions I'm seeing for the Jessica Jones episode are really positive, though they do say its crazy dark. Still, not sure you would expect any negative reactions from the comic con crowd but it seems like a decent sign.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

JESSICA JONES PREMIERES IN FIVE AND A HALF WEEKS, WHY IS THERE NOT A PROPER TRAILER YET, goddammit Marvek

Was coming to post the same. I kind of expected a trailer over the weekend or today after the initial buzz of showing the pilot at NYCC.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm definitely going to watch it, but the lack of any actual footage from the show, combat scenes, etc. makes me think they are trying to hide something. And that something is "it is bad". I'll probably be wrong, but the trailers they have shown off so far have fallen completely flat for me and made me less interested than I was before.

This doesn't make any sense because if you cannot construct a great 2 minute trailer out of 13 episodes of footage you are talking about the worst show ever made, which we know is not going to happen.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know what you're saying, and I think the show will be pretty good, but screening something at a Comic-con doesn't mean poo poo. They'll show lots of awful stuff that gets a standing O.

The near positive reaction from every writer that saw it does mean something.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That doesn't come up for me, here's the Netflix post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

Holy poo poo.

I have no other words. Hurry the gently caress up november 20.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The quick flash of a scene where you see 4 people hanging themselves as she runs in to help . . . jesus christ.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I guess they just wanted a strong hook

Wow, you've cracked the secret code for what trailers are supposed to do.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Deakul posted:

The production looks surprisingly cheap and Ritter looks bored as hell.

Shrug?

She seems hollowed-out, not bored, which is what her character is supposed to be. In addition look at her face in the more emotional scenes such as the police station, that's not bored.

Not sure where you are getting cheap production either.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

computer parts posted:

Seems like they are from the trailer.

This is honestly idiotic, even for these dumb rear end forums.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm certainly assuming that that's the plan. Each of them will also presumably have a specific place to stand in the moving posters they make in that same street in Hell's Kitchen with the Avengers Tower in the background, with all 4 of them standing together for the one they make for Defenders.

If Iron Fist even happens :negative:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

What possible reason could there be for you to say something like this when Marvel has a deal with Netflix and will deliver the 4 series with the Defenders capper, and now with a second Daredevil season as a bonus?

There's been tons of rumors floating around that Marvel has no idea what to do with Iron Fist, which is why they don't have a show runner or lead yet. Hopefully (probably) it isn't true.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

computer parts posted:

Notice that the original statement was about fetishizing PTSD. There doesn't have to be a sexual aspect to that, just an extreme focus.

Examining a subject is not fetishizing.

Fetishizing is one of those stupid forum buzzwords that people like to throw out there for almost everything, so when you roll in and drop that turd without any substance as to why you think it is so it drives me nuts.

mind the walrus posted:

Let's try to head this off at the pass:

fetishize-- have an excessive and irrational commitment to or obsession with (something).

Notice a few key words in that definition and understand the context and meaning. Irrational commitment. Irrational obsession. Fetishizing occurs when there is no good reason to do it. When the whole foundation of your show is based around the concept of a former superhero struggling with what happened to her, and what happens when the cause of her problems reenters her life, it's not fetishizing. It's simply the subject matter.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 23, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

You cherry-picking rear end in a top hat.

What is your end-game on being selective? To troll? To rant about political correctness gone mad or some equally vapid horseshit? To angle for a paycheck from Disney as a "viral marketer expert" ensuring that not a single TVIV goon viewing this thread has even the slightest reservation about checking out the show? Seriously I don't get why this is such a point of contention when I've done literally everything I could have to ensure that my opinion wasn't inflammatory, yet there you go trying to make it sound inflammatory.

I'm saying even if it was the sole focus that wouldn't make it fetishizing. I guess I didn't make my point as clearly as I wanted, I was saying that it didn't appear to me they were anywhere near a "line." As to the rest here, ok?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 23, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

In a vacuum you're right, but as Marvel's first female-led project it would rightfully raise an eyebrow if the entire focus was about her relationship to an abusive man. Kind-of like how nothing about Black Widow's hysterectomy and romance in Age of Ultron was bad on its own, but starts to become problematic when you realize she's the forefront representative of women in the movie/Marvel projects as a whole and all her arcs relate to who she's loving and whether or not she can be a mommy.

This is most funny because holy poo poo I actually like the trailer, want to see the show, and think overall it's going to turn out fine but you point out even a tiny reservation that isn't complete endorsement and suddenly the whole thread starts freaking out.

Agreed, but that wouldn't really make the problem fetishizing, more just a poor choice for the first female lead. Honestly though, I'm not sure what people expected knowing the subject matter of Alias.

Nobody really responded to your first post btw it was to computer parts, so you're blowing this out of proportion.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, did you guys not watch Agent Carter? it's a pretty fun show.

I did and liked it a ton. Not sure why I forgot.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Just hit page 107-108 while catching up on this because Jessica Jones is out soon. This thread is going to be totally insufferable for the whole run, isn't it?

Why are you reviving the dead insufferable argument?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

jivjov posted:

What are the odds of a surprise early release this evening? Or should I just resign myself to not watching anything til after work tomorrow?

0%

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

It's D'Onofrio. He's a well known actor, you may have heard of him before.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Edit: Never mind.

To get the thread back on track, does Shang-Chi have a lot of crossover with Iron Fist? Is there a classic story that includes both of them?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 6, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Wasn't there something with the dudes backpack or something that was a hint at Bullseye? I can't remember now.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Those are some serious assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm so confused by some of the reviews I've read because I'm three episodes deep and this is flat out terrific. Better than season 1 and I loved season 1.