Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Meanwhile Devin Faraci is watching the reviews roll in, crying into the hole where his heart once was, and also his sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Look, I'm happy to concede that I haven't seen these episodes, so for all I (and any of us for that matter) know, Devin's sources could be dead on and the first four or so episodes could be limp. Wouldn't be the first time promising trailers and strong advance reviews led to a disappointing product (Star Trek: Into Darkness), nor would it be the first time Steven S. DeKnight got a show rolling after a rocky start.

Having said that, let's go ad hominem, just for shits and giggles.

Netflix Marvel: the ones about your mother's dick sucking.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
1x08: I can't even

How is it possible that I'm this happy for Wilson Fisk sorting out his issues and going public? And that I admire Mariana as much as I do for getting Fisk's back and essentially agreeing to be his Lady MacBeth?

And it sounds like it somehow gets even better. Jesus.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 11, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
BTW, earlier in the thread some of you guys were looking for a metric to predict renewal? Well, last night between 6:30 and 8:30 I couldn't even connect to Netflix, it was so slammed. I don't think they're gonna cancel something that's so popular they have to get new servers to meet the demand. This is their Game of Thrones: poo poo's not going anywhere.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Sharmat posted:

Jessica Jones sounds like a potentially really interesting character concept that would be incredibly hard to actually execute.

I've got faith after Daredevil though.

Well, let's talk about Jessica Jones for a minute. Running the room on that one is Melissa Rosenberg. She was a key player in seasons 1-4 on Dexter; big enough to co-write 3 of the 4 season finales, an honor traditionally left to the showrunner. (Of course, that position was always hilariously fluid on that show.) Then she left to handle all the scripts for the Twilight series, and at this point some of you are probably starting to feel sick. Anyway, once finished with that she created Red Widow, which aired for 9 episodes during one of ABC's mid-seasons, and probably didn't get much traction because it was painfully slow. So Jessica Jones is a toss-up.

Frankly, despite all the doom and gloom her last few projects portend, I'm hopeful. Twilight is Twilight; it's the kind of thing where you have to stick close to the book lest the base riot, so there's not a lot of room for her own voice in there. And based on what happened with Ben Urich (as well as so many other things) it's obvious Marvel's asking their Netflix showrunners to work under certain specifications; troubling in some ways, but Rosenberg might thrive under those circumstances.

I dunno. I'm sure excited to see how it pans out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Yeah basically I'm going to resist the TVIV impulse to assume the other shoe is about to drop and reveal that The Show Sucks Now and not instantly look for what ever is the opposite of a silver lining around unequivocally good news.

Not to make things weird but you're pretty much my favorite person on here these days.

(As far as I'm concerned, though: 8 was the best episode and that was written by DeKnight, so this kinda sucks. But I'll give these guys a shot for sure.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh do not worry she still gets to Sell Matt's identity for some heroin. then the fridging.

I wouldn't be shocked if they have plans for Karen besides that. The fact that it looked like they were about to fridge Vanessa, only to juke into Wesley getting gunned down by Karen, tells me they see a little more potential in the female characters than most comic book writers.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Except Ghost Rider!

Well I don't know how close he was to comic book Ghost Rider, but I thought he was fun in the second movie.

Edit: HE'S SCRAPIN' AT THE DOOOOOOOR

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 23, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Phylodox posted:

I still don't think it's fair to compare Arrow or The Flash with Daredevil. They're going for vastly different things. The CW shows are totally, unapologetically embracing the silliness and soap operatic elements of comic books. Daredevil is basically The Wire if McNulty was a ninja.

"These are for you, Murdock."

"..."

"I'm giving you the double finger. I'm saying I'm mad at you."

"Ah, okay. Continue."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Perfect casting. Can't wait.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Heathen posted:

Secondly, the only "Iron Fist in limbo" rumor I could find starts on CinemaBlend who links back to a birthmoviesdeath.com article written by Devin Faraci. For those who don't remember Devin Faraci is the is the guy who tweeted that the then upcoming Daredevil show was very bad. Then when the show came out and everyone loved it he briefly went with "oh I haven't seen it I'm just passing along what I'd heard" defense, before he eventually started outright insulting people.

Faraci's a loudmouth crybaby, but he tries to be a journalist and I'm 75% sure that he wouldn't spread a lovely rumor because he felt burned by popular opinion.

...make that 70%.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

I saw an article in the Facebook sidebar about the show, and the little preview block said December but when I clicked it the real article said Fall.

Well, you guys can stop wondering. Per Maureen Ryan's Twitter, Jessica Jones drops on November 20.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

There were unsubstantiated rumors about Ryan Phillipe being cast as Danny Rand. That would be great, but I figure if it was happening it would have been confirmed by now.

Weren't there also rumors that Iron Fist was having a lot of trouble getting off the ground? Like, enough trouble that they were thinking about calling it off? Could've sworn I heard it from this very thread.

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is that it's a weird fit for what they seem to have in mind. Jones, Cage and Daredevil all work in this small, ubran area of New York. Iron Fist COULD, but the most successful run of stories from the comics were globetrotting, dimension jumping adventures. Even his origin is a lot harder to squeeze into the Hell's Kitchen vibe, because it involves Himalayan mountain climbs and magical kung-fu cities.

It is a weird fit, but the point's moot because the rumor was partially debunked in this very thread, and I was even there.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 8, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That description of the first episode sounds interesting and exciting. I was cautiously optimistic about Melissa Rosenberg as the showrunner; looks like my optimistic side is winning out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
S.J. Clarkson directed the first two episodes of JJ?

She did a couple of episodes for Banshee's first season. poo poo's gonna own. :munch:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm definitely going to watch it, but the lack of any actual footage from the show, combat scenes, etc. makes me think they are trying to hide something.

Yeah, they're totally hiding something, which is why they just screened the entire first episode for NY Comic Con.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Sharmat posted:

Why is this a smiley

I made it as a joke back when I was active in CineD, and somebody bought it while drunk.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Also there was that one twitter guy lying about it and saying everyone at the studio thought it was terrible.

To be fair, Devin Faraci never said his source was the studio. He had heard it from a friend (who apparently has terrible taste) and he was passing that along.

That said, he did follow it up with the dumbest "Your mother's a whore" remark ever.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I don't think I will be fair to Devin Faraci and unrelated I heard he has a small dick.

I too have been hearing very bad buzz around Devin Faraci's dick.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gyges posted:

Wait, people hate Fury Road now? People just have no taste these days.

I poo poo you not, I don't remember which thread it was, but a couple of weeks after it came out, somebody bitched about Fury Road's boring teal and orange color grading.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And here we go: Netflix orders a Punisher series with Jon Bernthal. Steve Lightfoot -- from motherfucking Hannibal -- will run the show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

Just stumbled across a new thread title I think.

https://twitter.com/gdanielholloway/status/756296683747631104

I need a level beyond "Sold."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Apparently every episode of Luke Cage is going to be named after a Gang Starr song.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Parkingtigers posted:

New trailer. Looks rad as hell.

http://youtu.be/ytkjQvSk2VA

Ohhhhhhh my.

My my my.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Wikipedia had the first 7 episode titles.

Sure enough, they're named after Gang Starr songs.

I can't loving wait for this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gyges posted:

So is Luke Cage going to have a TV Show's greatest soundtrack album of all time?

I know you're half joking, but Cheo Hodari Coker made his bones as a music journalist (my best guess is that he wrote for Vibe), so based on that and everything we've seen he should loving murder it on the needledrops.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

howe_sam posted:

Literally my only exposure to Cheo Coker was as a talking head on various VH1 documentaries, so I did a massive double take when they announced he was going to be the showrunner.

He wrote for seasons 3 & 4 of the MASSIVELY underrated Southland, which you should check out if you have a Hulu subscription.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here, have a featurette on the music of Luke Cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmcur3INOE

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh

Oh my goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jred0SxbnK8

Listen to that score

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not feeling it tbh. Everything is on point... but Luke just trashed that restaurant way loving more than the crooks would have. It didn't look like they were threatening the owner's lives, so if it's just a robbery then the amount they could have stolen is almost guaranteed to be less than the cost of wall repair, electrical work, and replacing a streetfront window--with or without insurance.

It's :goonsay: as gently caress but really that just speaks to how high a bar Marvel has set that this poo poo bothers me.

Well, don't forget the obvious edits that were made to squeeze the scene into a 1-minute sample. It's a taste of the action; by all accounts of the reviews that are dropping, Luke seems to be a more thoughtful character than that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"50 posts? Awesome! Luke Cage must've dropped early! I wonder what goons are saying about it..."

:ughh:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Shadow Hawk Takes Flight" is one of the worst episodes of TV that I've ever seen.

And that's coming from ME. The guy who defended Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and didn't so much turn against it as he just got bored with it. You have truly hosed the pooch if you can't even win me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Accretionist posted:

I wish they had flashbacks for Danny. If he reacted to the trauma by 'switching off' and staying that way via commitment to 'being a weapon' then it'd kinda make sense for developmental stunting to emerge later in life. With the Iron Fist having failed to fulfill him, and with the opportunity to finally rest on his laurels, his mind could start relaxing and his emotions could start turning back on. His emotional character would've spent the past 15 years being tempered by exactly zero life experience so naturally he'd be a boy-man gently caress up who just wants his family, friends and penthouse back.

I think they could've sold it.

Related: I was musing about this show on Twitter and it occurred to me that they should've talked to Rand Ravich. His recent track record is, um, not enthralling (Second Chance, Crisis), but over ten years ago he did a show that covered a fair chunk of the same ground Iron Fist is trying to cover here. Life is one of the best police procedurals ever, with a weird, fascinating main character who served 12 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit and came out a Zen Buddhist.

The whole time I was watching the asylum episode, I was thinking of how much more interesting it would be if Danny Rand was more like Charlie Crews. Keeping his cool at first, biding his time, "You don't have to understand here to be here," all that poo poo, the grind slowly wearing down his resolve until he found it again. Again, I don't think Ravich would have made a perfect or even great show, but he certainly would've made an interesting one.