Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread, have some terrible pics!

Zark the Damned posted:

Early for me this month, but Oath Completed. Had trouble with lighting and levels were all over the place, so apologies for the worse than normal pics.

Objective markers. Claiming I Rolled a 6! for them. Bright green numbers to stand out on the battlefield!

Fighter type guy. Jurnal is his scarred face, chipped sword and battered shield (which I couldn't seem to get a good shot of)

Paladin. Also has a duelling scar, crazy psycho eyes and emo black lipstick. (mainly because the cast basically had no mouth and I overexaggerated it...)

Will be spending time this month assembling and prepping stuff to paint (whatever free time I have that isn't eaten by Nuclear Throne anyway...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

They look great, just needs a contrasting color on things like the pouches. Grey, black or brown would look fine. Or purple...

Marines that are tall and not power squatting, unf. :shlick:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
New thread! drat, I need to paint more models...

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

They look great, just needs a contrasting color on things like the pouches. Grey, black or brown would look fine. Or purple...

Marines that are tall and not power squatting, unf. :shlick:

Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll try something like that :)
Legs are based on these, really good quality: http://evilcraft.eu/product/chaos-legs-mixed-set-no-i/

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I made a thing.

Fully magnetized. I have the other two weapons as well, but still painting them up. I'll likely go back and add a few details here and there, but I just wanted to knock it out into tabletop condition quickly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Fantastic! I love it. Looks better than tabletop to me. My (well-off) friend who has me paint much of his stuff wants to get a Titan...I'm seriously considering just having him buy a Chaos one as payment for building and painting a loyalist one for him.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

HardCoil posted:

Awesome new OPs OP :D

I finally made a bit of progress, got these painted:

I spent a lot of time converting them, so I'm really disappointed by the how blotchy the paintjob came out. I think it's mainly because I used a base colour that was too light, modelled the clothing on the arms and legs quite poorly and tried too many new things at the same time.

these are amazing! <3 tacticool marines

What model are they?

Lord Humongus posted:

I just want to wow people.

you need to rebase, the model is 100x better than the quality of the base imo

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Moola posted:

these are amazing! <3 tacticool marines
What model are they?

Thanks.

They are Evilcraft legs converted to have pants on the upper part. Torsoes and mag pouches are sculpted from scratch and greenstuff cast. Shoulderguards and guns are Puppetswar (shoulderguard has greenstuff cast insignia added). Heads are FW Night Lords heads. Arms are from scratch.

So quite a bit of work to make 5 guys :/

They were supposed to be a Kill Team squad, but the game I was in seems to have died :(

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nice!

in the same boat too, hard to find kill teamers

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Did somebody say Kill Team?

I'm looking forward to finishing these legionnaires up; once I wash up the metals and hit all the details I'll honestly be perfectly happy with them.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Here's one of my Kill Teams:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Great thread. I was going to start painting minis with the intent of getting into playing warhams eventually, but not any time soon. I have a squad of Tau fire caste mans on the way, and I need to get the bare bones basics in terms of brushes, paints, and tools.

I know I don't need $65 worth of CITADEL WEB BUNDLE BRUSHES! but I also don't want a 12 pack of garbage Testors model sets either. I'd like a happy medium of brush quality, somewhere between an angels pubic hair to a skavens taint pubes.

ESSENTIALS:

A #2 sable brush for base coating, a #1 sable brush for detail, and a #0 for fine detail. These will all be sable hair brushes.

A wash brush, dry brush brush, and maybe some other utility brush I'm not aware of. These will by synthetic hair.

A pair of dikes for cutting parts off sprues.

A hobby knife.

Does this sound like a good basic kit to start painting when my space mans get here?

EDIT: What is a less expensive alternative to the :lol: $30 diagonal wire cutters GW offers? Snap On makes tools that expensive.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 16, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Got my airbrush back from repairs this Friday so I've been working on Stormtroopers from my Imperial Assault box and decided to redo Darth Vader as well though I'll need to build the highlights back up on him.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Bachtere, how did you get that mossy rock effect for that boar mini? I've got a few minis set up for that it I didn't know how to go about it.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Bachtere, how did you get that mossy rock effect for that boar mini? I've got a few minis set up for that it I didn't know how to go about it.

The actual technique for the basing is layered cork for height, something called Sculptamold for the generic texture of the ground, and super-glued flock on top of that. I snapped this picture of the Maggoth Lord I'm working on, same idea. I like Sculptamold a lot, I want my bases to be very organic, it does that naturally. Same stuff I used for the entirety of the griffon/cockatrice diorama base.

As for the painting, a lot of washes, and I wasn't too concerned with getting the green of the moss on the non-flocked portion of the base. I went back to the original picture and cropped out the base, and only resized it a little so you could look at the painting in detail.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks! I started with the cork like you, but I used some ballast for texture. It's probably too large but I'm learning basing so no big deal. Do you glue down your flock before painting the base?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

big_g posted:

I'm currently working on a 1:48 scale WWII Corsair.

First off a coat of shiny shiny aluminium.

A coat of future and hair spray later some base colours added to the mix.

Could you go into more detail about how you got this look above? I am new to painting but this is exactly the blue I want to get for a model I have.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
New tank for a new thread! It's a Hobby Boss 1:48th scale T-34Sorry about the shittastic photo quality.

Sadly, all the decals that came with the kit were wrong, either completely made up or meant for a different model of T-34, and I don't usually do 1:48th, so I ended up with no decals at all.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ensign Expendable posted:

Sadly, all the decals that came with the kit were wrong, either completely made up or meant for a different model of T-34, and I don't usually do 1:48th, so I ended up with no decals at all.

You paint the internals but don't hand-paint the markings to make up for the bad decals? It's like you don't even care about history.

(satire)
It looks good.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I made a thing.

This owns and is one of the best titan legions (besides Crucius, which owns the hardest)

Sulecrist posted:

Here's one of my Kill Teams:

These also own

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Great thread. I was going to start painting minis with the intent of getting into playing warhams eventually, but not any time soon. I have a squad of Tau fire caste mans on the way, and I need to get the bare bones basics in terms of brushes, paints, and tools.

I know I don't need $65 worth of CITADEL WEB BUNDLE BRUSHES! but I also don't want a 12 pack of garbage Testors model sets either. I'd like a happy medium of brush quality, somewhere between an angels pubic hair to a skavens taint pubes.

ESSENTIALS:

A #2 sable brush for base coating, a #1 sable brush for detail, and a #0 for fine detail. These will all be sable hair brushes.

A wash brush, dry brush brush, and maybe some other utility brush I'm not aware of. These will by synthetic hair.

A pair of dikes for cutting parts off sprues.

A hobby knife.

Does this sound like a good basic kit to start painting when my space mans get here?

EDIT: What is a less expensive alternative to the :lol: $30 diagonal wire cutters GW offers? Snap On makes tools that expensive.

That sounds like a good starter setup there, although you don't need the sable hair brushes to get started. You can use normal natural hair brushes for your normal painting duties. I also like natural hair for a wash brush, it seems to hold the liquid better for me. X-acto knife is your go-to hobby knife.

You can get cheap side cutters from any train, model or hobby shop, just don't cut right up to the part with them and use your knife to trim away the nubs. As long as you're careful you can use a big Stanley blade to do the cutting off the sprue, then use your smaller knife to get the nubs off.

See the first part of the OP for a longer list of things you might want to consider getting, there's a few things you haven't mentioned, like glue, etc.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I use a pair of $3 cuticle cutters from Walgreen's.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

rantmo posted:

I use a pair of $3 cuticle cutters from Walgreen's.

I use Radio Shack clippers because they have a lifetime warranty (lolololol).

And I usually paint with Testors brushes these days. Sometimes I break out a Windsor and Newton Scepter to do detail work but things under a 1 or 2 usually don't hold enough paint for my tastes.

Also Faust did some videos on starter hobby stuff that are good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2y8wIJCS-k

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

How is the color scheme looking on this Old One? I'm freehand painting (this is a sloppy tonal blocking - blending to come later) and going for vibrant / high contrast because I will be varnishing for table top use (which always mutes everything).

Finished the free-hand base coat with some two brush blending.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That blending's looking pretty great! Where's that mini from?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

That is Mashaaf from the Reaper Bones 2 kickstarter.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Does anyone make a set of UV Phosphorescent model paints? Bonus points if I can push them through an airbrush? I have ~*IdEaS*~

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hubis posted:

Does anyone make a set of UV Phosphorescent model paints? Bonus points if I can push them through an airbrush? I have ~*IdEaS*~

Vallejo. And you can airbrush them, but fluo paints are utter assholes to work with, each in its own individual way.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Going to pick up some paints for my Space Hulk minis later. I haven't tried painting anything in forever, so looking forward to it, thanks to the guide in the OP.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also Faust did some videos on starter hobby stuff that are good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2y8wIJCS-k

I've added this video and a few of his others to the OP in various places (basing, oil washes, washes, painting 15mm, etc.) - we're getting there with the content!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

wondering if anyone had a good tutorial for painting white hot metal? have a couple models I want to get stupid with.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I finished painting and basing all of the armies for the battle of five armies last week. I'll put pictures up of them all once I finish the last 9 heroes for the set. Wanted to post now because an awesome storage solution arrived for me last week and I love it so far. It's using gem trays and gem transportation cases for miniatures, taken from this blog: http://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-quest-for-perfect-miniatures.html

The hard cases are a little over $60 for an aluminum one that holds 12" worth of trays. The trays come in 1,2 or 3 inches and you can combine them with a little extra effort if needed. The 1" trays fit most of my 10mm, the 2" trays fit most 28mm minis and the 3" fit most 28mm cavalry. I just added some flex metal I had around to the bottom of the trays and everything holds fast and transports great, and it is helping organizing things for painting/basing/organization workflow.

The vendor gems on display was great as well. Two of the 2 inch trays were shattered and the corner cracked on the case by FedEx when shipping and they just sent me free replacements that arrived today.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I used to work in an electrical engineering lab and stole many pairs of side cutters made to cut and strip wire. The ones Gale Force Nine make are a little pricey, but not 30 dollars, and they are actually very good, unlike the GW ones which nick up and become lovely after snipping a few metal models.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

nesbit37 posted:

Amazing poo poo

What is are the dimensions of those trays X x Y x Z?

That thing looks amazing.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Thanks for all the critique especially thecosmicmuffet for his detailed one!!!!

I tried some new stuff with this guy is it working did I get what you guys were saying? Also white highlights so you can really see how sloppy I am!!!!!!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The internal usable dimensions of the trays are about 7.75 x 14 inches and they come in variable depths.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

dexefiend posted:

What is are the dimensions of those trays X x Y x Z?

That thing looks amazing.

Huzzah!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

nesbit37 posted:

I finished painting and basing all of the armies for the battle of five armies last week. I'll put pictures up of them all once I finish the last 9 heroes for the set. Wanted to post now because an awesome storage solution arrived for me last week and I love it so far. It's using gem trays and gem transportation cases for miniatures, taken from this blog: http://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-quest-for-perfect-miniatures.html

The hard cases are a little over $60 for an aluminum one that holds 12" worth of trays. The trays come in 1,2 or 3 inches and you can combine them with a little extra effort if needed. The 1" trays fit most of my 10mm, the 2" trays fit most 28mm minis and the 3" fit most 28mm cavalry. I just added some flex metal I had around to the bottom of the trays and everything holds fast and transports great, and it is helping organizing things for painting/basing/organization workflow.

The vendor gems on display was great as well. Two of the 2 inch trays were shattered and the corner cracked on the case by FedEx when shipping and they just sent me free replacements that arrived today.

I love this kind of storage hack. Clever, DIY, and an awesome hard case that cost less than the cardboard boxes you'd get somewhere else. Ace!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Now I'm thinking there should be a storage/transport section of the OP...considering this is thread is mostly about wargaming painting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

krushgroove posted:

Now I'm thinking there should be a storage/transport section of the OP...considering this is thread is mostly about wargaming painting!

What could be more suitable for protecting your precious jewel like creations of magic, than actual jewel cases? It's brilliant.

But yeah, transportation and storage becomes a big issue once you go past your initial couple of boxes of minis. It is one of the reasons why my two next projects are in 6mm.