Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've been basing my 15mm FoW infantry lately, and am in the middle of painting my Dropzone Commander (10mm) stuff...I'm amazing at how much less space an entire army takes in the smaller scales. And with me going to historical gaming shows in the UK recently and for the rest of the year I can definitely see myself getting an army of something, in some period, at some point.

It's even funnier to think that as I was reorganizing my model stuff recently I came across a couple of A4-size sheets of magnetic sticker, and I was thinking 'what the hell did I get this for??' - and eventually I realized it's to put on the underside of my FoW and 6mm stuff so I can magnetize them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

krushgroove posted:

I've been basing my 15mm FoW infantry lately, and am in the middle of painting my Dropzone Commander (10mm) stuff...I'm amazing at how much less space an entire army takes in the smaller scales. And with me going to historical gaming shows in the UK recently and for the rest of the year I can definitely see myself getting an army of something, in some period, at some point.

It's even funnier to think that as I was reorganizing my model stuff recently I came across a couple of A4-size sheets of magnetic sticker, and I was thinking 'what the hell did I get this for??' - and eventually I realized it's to put on the underside of my FoW and 6mm stuff so I can magnetize them.

Bonus point: magnetized bases in 15mm and smaller can usually be used for fridge battles. Don't try with 15mm elephants though!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That sounds a hell of a lot better than fridge checkers!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

A friend of mine is using those trays combined with a soft case for his models. I think I may switch over as well - my foam trays work well for Epic (6mm) but my 10mm Warmaster stuff is just too heavy for the trays to properly support. Those hard trays would work well - it's too bad they aren't about an inch shorter, though. All of my cases are Sabol-sized and only fit up to 13" wide.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Not sure if this has been posted or not, I haven't seen it skimming through the thread but my ageing eyes may be failing me yet. The chaps over at WAMP are running a kickstarter to fund production of their own lines of kolinsky sable brushes.

Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wamp/wamp-select-series-paintbrushes

Called the 'Select Series', the basic entry level pledge is £20 (disregarding the obligatory £1 to open up add-ons) and you get 4 brushes as their 'starter set' - another £7 gets you brush soap and the choice of a bamboo roll or a brush case. They're UK based too which I was surprised at, I always thought the WAMP lot had set up in the US but apparently I'm completely wrong. Free postage is in there somewhere too.

Thought you guys may be interested. I certainly am, my W&N Series 7 brushes are beginning to look a little worse for wear and could do with replacing with something new and shiny :toot:

This post was not sponsored by WAMP, honest guv :)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

krushgroove posted:

Now I'm thinking there should be a storage/transport section of the OP...considering this is thread is mostly about wargaming painting!

It would definitely be useful. It has always bothered me how expensive storage options directly marketed towards miniatures seem so overpriced to storage for other things. I've almost always made or found alternatives for storage as a result, and I have known several people in the past that just don't care about their painting because they don't want to shell out the cash for that storage and just chuck their plastic in a bin. Keeping things organized can help out your painting workflow and backlog management as well that is great. I can't wait to organize my bones 1 and 2 minis. Part of the reason I don't work with them as much as I want to right now is because they are all just kind of in a huge box mixed up together so I have to dig around to find what I want.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm happy to do a write-up on various ways of storing models, starting with the cheap end (egg cartons with toilet paper, takeaway containers and shoe boxes), up to something like KR cases (which is all I'm familiar with), but if anyone wants to have a stab at it feel free to post it and I'll add it to the OP. I have no idea about Sabol (sp?) cases and if anyone is actually a Battlefoam fan it'd be helpful to have a few sentences about the major brands of model cases.

I'm working on a 'what brush to use' section right now, but these are the things I'd like to add to the OP at some point:
magnetizing
pinning
storage/transport
basic sculpting, if there's any call for it

...is there anything else? I don't necessarily want to use Dr. Faust videos for everything - I want to give sort of equal coverage to the big YouTube channels, even GW because the OP can't ignore that GW exists - but I'm happy to do that for now, in addition to a basic write-up that includes 'what you need' and 'how to do it' in a bullet point type list. Additionally, if there are any video guides that anyone thinks could use a written guide, feel free to post it up. Not everyone has the time to sit through a long video and it may be easier to skim words to get the basic info.

I also still have Bulbasaur's various guides that I need to get the images from, put onto Imgur if needed, then transfer to the new OP, so if anyone wants to do that (as in, transfer any pictures if needed and give me the BB code ready to post in), that would be really helpful.

And finally, post the link to the new thread in any of the game threads you post to!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

berzerkmonkey posted:

A friend of mine is using those trays combined with a soft case for his models. I think I may switch over as well - my foam trays work well for Epic (6mm) but my 10mm Warmaster stuff is just too heavy for the trays to properly support. Those hard trays would work well - it's too bad they aren't about an inch shorter, though. All of my cases are Sabol-sized and only fit up to 13" wide.

If your magnetizing and don't care about one of the short edges not having a side wall you could just cut off an inch of the tray with a utility knife or dremel to get them to fit. They're cheap enough it would be worth trying at least.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
CA glue or white glue for gluing flock to bases? If white, should it be watered down?

I used watered down Elmer's for the sand and rocks on the base, and then another layer of thinned Elmer's to seal it but I want to add some flock to that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dremcon posted:

CA glue or white glue for gluing flock to bases? If white, should it be watered down?

I used watered down Elmer's for the sand and rocks on the base, and then another layer of thinned Elmer's to seal it but I want to add some flock to that.

White glue. I don't thin but many do. I'm phone posting or I'd link it, but look for the terrain tutor on YouTube, he just did a review of best flocking methods.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just use white glue and I always thin. I thin it for the same reason I do paints; it makes it flow better and helps prevent giant globs of glue getting stuck in some parts that don't totally dry clear.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PVA / Elmers, not watered down at all... ok maybe just a touch. But not by much. Once all my base bits and glued on, I'll go back over with a thinned out PVA / Elmers & future floor polish mix to seal it all down.

This is before I undercoat, the base is always the first thing to get painted because I'm a messy drybrusher :v:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I use tacky glue mixed with cheap craft paint/inks. But I also make all my basing supplies and do all my basing after I paint which is not typical for mainstream fantasy/scifi stuff (very common in historicals). These aren't good miniatures, or good pics but they are an example of what I'm talking aboot:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Should I use the purpose made Army Painter primers or can I get away with Rustoleum or Krylon automotive primer? I also seem to remember a Krylon line that is made for painting plastic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Should I use the purpose made Army Painter primers or can I get away with Rustoleum or Krylon automotive primer? I also seem to remember a Krylon line that is made for painting plastic.

As long as it's just primer and not paint and prime. Rusto 2X and Krylon ultra flat both work well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

...is there anything else?

You're missing something pretty important from the OP, and you're gonna kick yourself when you see it

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

You're missing something pretty important from the OP, and you're gonna kick yourself when you see it

...is it...one of the placeholder things like the lonely 'The' that's kind of awkwardly floating in the text? I'm seriously sleep-deprived today so I won't catch anything at the moment.

e: ooh I found it! As penance I've added another video in that section!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 17, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'd only bother with Army Painter if you're basing an army around one of their colors. I used their Crystal Blue for my Ultras, but I've used Krylon black and white primer for everything else I've ever painted.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

krushgroove posted:

I'm working on a 'what brush to use' section right now, but these are the things I'd like to add to the OP at some point:

Is this a what type of brush size to use for certain applications or is this more of a run down of brush brands and types?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Super 3 posted:

Is this a what type of brush size to use for certain applications or is this more of a run down of brush brands and types?

The size answer is almost always the largest one you can get away with.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Re: useful info in the OP, for the "where do I get models from" section, here are some USA-based stores to go alongside The War Store (which is an excellent store):

Miniature Market http://www.miniaturemarket.com/
FRP Games http://www.frpgames.com/
Discount Games Inc http://www.discountgamesinc.com/
Noble Knight Games http://www.nobleknight.com/
Scale Hobbyist http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ (not so much a mini-related site, but has plenty of paints & tools)

I've ordered several items from all of these sites (and The War Store, too) over the last year or so, and can highly recommend them all to other US-based goons. If I get a chance I'll also dig up some eBay-based retailers that have given me good service, and put links to their eBay stores up too.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wamp/wamp-select-series-paintbrushes

Called the 'Select Series', the basic entry level pledge is £20 (disregarding the obligatory £1 to open up add-ons) and you get 4 brushes as their 'starter set' - another £7 gets you brush soap and the choice of a bamboo roll or a brush case. They're UK based too which I was surprised at, I always thought the WAMP lot had set up in the US but apparently I'm completely wrong. Free postage is in there somewhere too.

If I'm reading their kickstarter with shipping to the US and conversion they look cheaper than buying winsor's of the same size.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Did I ask for too much attention? Sorry!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Re: useful info in the OP, for the "where do I get models from" section, here are some USA-based stores to go alongside The War Store (which is an excellent store):

Miniature Market http://www.miniaturemarket.com/
FRP Games http://www.frpgames.com/
Discount Games Inc http://www.discountgamesinc.com/
Noble Knight Games http://www.nobleknight.com/
Scale Hobbyist http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ (not so much a mini-related site, but has plenty of paints & tools)

I've ordered several items from all of these sites (and The War Store, too) over the last year or so, and can highly recommend them all to other US-based goons. If I get a chance I'll also dig up some eBay-based retailers that have given me good service, and put links to their eBay stores up too.

Fantization miniatures ( http://www.fantization.com/ ) is great as well especially since they carry a good amount of European miniature manufacturers that few other places in the states seem to touch.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Super 3 posted:

I'll add brands in the near future but after the paint section is the new brush section. It's mostly what type of brush to use as well as different types of brushes. The only brand mentioned so far is GW, and not really in a fully positive light.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I really like Raphael 8404 brushes.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'll add brands in the near future but after the paint section is the new brush section. It's mostly what type of brush to use as well as different types of brushes. The only brand mentioned so far is GW, and not really in a fully positive light.

Cool I'm in the place looking for some brushes and I don't want to pay Winsor prices but I also don't want crap. So i've been looking around on Amazon for something in between. So far i've settled on a set that are 'model painter' brand I found on Amazon but I can't really find any reviews on them?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Don't forget to mention brush care. I have been using the same Utrecht brand kolinsky sable brushes size 0/3 - 3 for the past 8 years and its largely because I clean them and reshape the points after every painting session with this stuff:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/the-masters-brush-cleaner-and-preserver/

The only brush I have destroyed more or less is the size 3 Pokorny brush I received from the 1st Dwarven Forge kickstarter and it has more or less died from drybrushing 10 sets worth of dungeon and cavern tiles. Dry brushing is seriously hard on your brush.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Humongus posted:

I'm not that good on comments and critiques apart from 'that looks great/cool/sportin'' - and the picture you posted looks good, at least good enough to put on the tabletop. Assuming you're planning to field a squad or army of those guys, at some point you have to step back and think about how much work you're going to put into the 9 other guys in the squad, hold the model out at arm's length and declare yourself happy with what you've got. Remember that most gaming areas are badly lit (compared to a photo studio) and you're going to be looking at your models from about 3-5 feet away for a whole game, so you don't need to have magazine-quality work on every model you've got.

Super 3 posted:

Cool I'm in the place looking for some brushes and I don't want to pay Winsor prices but I also don't want crap. So i've been looking around on Amazon for something in between. So far i've settled on a set that are 'model painter' brand I found on Amazon but I can't really find any reviews on them?

Basically you don't need to get Kolinsky sable or even sable hair brushes, if you're looking for good, long-lasting brushes there are good synthetic brushes from the major brands. Just get one brushes suitable for acrylics and don't get the cheapest stuff you can find. I'm sure I have some old Model Painter brushes still kicking around but mine are 15-20 years old so I can't comment on them really, and they've probably changed supplier since I got mine.

nesbit37 posted:

Don't forget to mention brush care.

Brush care is already in the OP :) I did just add it today, though.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Great thread so far guys keep it up. Finished up some Stormtroopers from my Imperial Assault box and all I have to say is thank god for airbrushing white or else I would've lost my goddamn mind (I almost did after seeing the mold lines after I applied the white). C&C is always welcome.

"Set blasters to stun!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I'd only bother with Army Painter if you're basing an army around one of their colors. I used their Crystal Blue for my Ultras, but I've used Krylon black and white primer for everything else I've ever painted.

Agreed. Also, their primer does not stand up to any sort of handling without chipping. Whatever they do to Krylon (I just use the regular stuff, not the primer) gives it a much better bond to the model. Krylon will take abuse, while the AP stuff barely holds up to game handling. In the future, if I'm doing a large army, I'm just going to use my airbrush - I can go over the Krylon and have the added benefit of ensuring I get a good color match.

nesbit37 posted:

If your magnetizing and don't care about one of the short edges not having a side wall you could just cut off an inch of the tray with a utility knife or dremel to get them to fit. They're cheap enough it would be worth trying at least.
Didn't think of that - I'll take a look at that option.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lord Humongus posted:

I didn't respond, honestly, because the photos didn't seem as clear as the last batch, and I really couldn't see the differences, if any from what you'd done with the claw guy and bolter dude. I saw you had a big rock he was kind of jumping off, but it looked like it wasn't finished.

So uh. I guess it looks good?

And to follow up on krush, whatever it is you're doing, it needs to be obvious enough that it a) stands out from a distance of a couple feet away and b) distinguishes models from each other. So one guy as a follow up is cool, but try painting a squad at a time with a *pronounced* unique thing that makes that squad cohesive and different from your other squads. Maybe one squad is standing on rocks in acid puddles, but another squad is walking through a field of brightly colored aquarium plants. A 3rd squad might have armor so scorched and pitted it doesn't really look green anymore. Whatever.

Composition can be more powerful than technique in terms of the overall success of your color choices and conversions. Some of my favorite squads were basically 3 colors and involved a lot of half-assed washes and drybrushing on my part.

And don't worry about attention. There's times when these guys won't stop loving talking about solvents for 6 goddamned pages and trying to speculate on what brand of local floor polish is equivalent to what Ukrainian lighter fluid or whatever.

A guy asking about stuff he painted is a welcome relief.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Agreed. Also, their primer does not stand up to any sort of handling without chipping.
Can confirm :( Even after multiple coats of varnish, a number of my Ultras have chipped paintjobs and it breaks my heart.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Does anyone have a recommendation for drybrush brushes? (Preferably ones that are available on Amazon)

I need some for terrain and figures.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The Sisko posted:

Great thread so far guys keep it up. Finished up some Stormtroopers from my Imperial Assault box and all I have to say is thank god for airbrushing white or else I would've lost my goddamn mind (I almost did after seeing the mold lines after I applied the white). C&C is always welcome.

"Set blasters to stun!"

Looking awesome dude.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

dexefiend posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for drybrush brushes? (Preferably ones that are available on Amazon)

I prefer flats

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

dexefiend posted:

The OP was just updated today with brush suggestions, as signalnoise says flats are pretty good, try a synthetic as it has good 'snap' (it's much stiffer than natural hair) and consider a chisel tip brush as well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually really like the GW drybrushes. Overpriced, naturally, but they work well.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

dexefiend posted:

I use Creative Mark Beste chisel brushes for that. Not exactly on Amazon (it's through Jerry's Artarama) but here's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the generic dick blick brand- I use them for drybrushing, alcohol paints, and oils. They last a long time and are cheap.