Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fyrbrand posted:

I actually really like the GW drybrushes. Overpriced, naturally, but they work well.

Yeah, most of the new brush line is fine, overpriced but WAY better than the old ones. Its just that they arent better than other cheaper Kolinskys. The drybrushes are legit the best I have found though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Any tips for glaze shading? I was attempting some tonight and it was either too much water and it wouldn't cover, or it was too much medium and it came out streaky.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm still rocking my old GW drybrush brushes from the mid-90s, they're that good - before they went poo poo and replaced them all with the synthetic poo poo that preceded the current brush range. If I remember, the bristles are some kind of ox hair, I dunno.. they're still going strong though.

Other than that, for larger areas I use some vallejo flat brushes (scroll down here: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-paints/brushes/3) - they've been fairly solid too but beginning to curl up at the edges (unsurprisingly, given the abuse they've received)

I've decided to pony up some cash for that WAMP kickstarter I linked yesterday, they're offering some backer achievements now too and they're only 10 backers away from the first which is a 5% discount code to use in their store for anyone pledging £20 or more. I forget the exact numbers but X number of backers will get that up to a 10% discount and so on.. so handy if you want to splurge some cash on painting supplies in the near future and whatnot.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I like the generic dick blick brand- I use them for drybrushing, alcohol paints, and oils. They last a long time and are cheap.

I've always liked the Utrecht generics. Apparently they were acquired by Dick Blick though, and there was some talk of the stores offering selections from both of their lines if i recall.
This was for studio classes rather than miniatures, but a good brush is a good brush.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Paolomania posted:

Any tips for glaze shading? I was attempting some tonight and it was either too much water and it wouldn't cover, or it was too much medium and it came out streaky.

I usually go for a 1:1:1 ratio of paint:medium:water and it does me well. Might want to try 1:1:2 if that is proving too streaky.

Having an eyedropper or two really, really helps.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Now that we have a new thread, I may as well post the reminder that Reaper Bones are super easy to mod:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Sometimes I wish I could "like" a post like that.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
that crocodile is tearing poo poo up in the pitt

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Why is this not in the OP?

No, but that is a kick-rear end OP for the thread.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rotten Cookies posted:

Well it's in the OP now! In the painting section, no less!

And thanks everyone who's said nice things about the OP. There's plenty more to come, so it'll be getting better!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Here's one to maybe include in the OP, since I think a lot of people have trouble with fire at first. Fire color theory, and the follow-up fire practical application.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Rotten Cookies posted:

I MUST SCREAM BUT I'VE NO MOUTH!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Seldom Posts posted:

Could you go into more detail about how you got this look above? I am new to painting but this is exactly the blue I want to get for a model I have.

Sure, for the main blue I just used Vallejo Air Colours airbrushed at just over 1 bar with a couple of drops of thinner and gloss varnish in the mix.

Over the Aluminium base sealed with gloss. I airbrushed the following three colours gradually panel shading towards the centre of the panels.

1. Blue "Blue Angels" (71.090)

2. French Blue (71.088)

3. US Inter. Blue (71.113)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
President Goku and Isis Of Ether those are both amazing. :h:

gently caress this kit. gently caress you, crappy kit. Yeah, I painted every loving detail item black and drybrushed it grey because it's all burned to cinders, right? I picked out some details here and there with gold and the contrast is just enough to fool the eyeballs into thinking it isn't lazy crap.

Wow, I forgot to put the end pieces to the trenches in the photo. Remember how I complained that the iron bands are all hosed up on the end pieces? I'm such a dummy I didn't realize that the trench has the same details and I didn't bother painting any of those bands gold/brass/iron/whatever.

Just paint this kit all light colors or all dark colors and drybrush it. Or don't get it, or burn it in an oil drum.

I have dozens and dozens of magnets so I'll be magnetizing all of these. If you squint really hard you can see how the way I painted the end pieces don't match the larger trench pieces.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 19, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I just finished painting my first thousand points of these marines. I still need to add a couple of details here and there (OSL on a Techmarine, chapter badges, that kind of thing), but everybody's got their first coat of varnish and they're ready for my first all-painted 1k game this weekend. I'm especially happy with how my faces are coming. Here are the last three models I finished:

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well you're officially back into painting. That looks awesome.

I can't wait to see your slaanesh and tzeentch.

You might be the only one that cares, but I finished a Slaanesh marine! I like how it turned out (mostly).

Next up is Khorne.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003
Has anyone made banners that hang from a crosspiece? I'm trying to figure out how to make a pole that ends in a T-shaped join that is relatively sturdy, but I'm apparently not creative enough. Anybody have some suggestions?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SirJoeKCB posted:

Has anyone made banners that hang from a crosspiece? I'm trying to figure out how to make a pole that ends in a T-shaped join that is relatively sturdy, but I'm apparently not creative enough. Anybody have some suggestions?

I just use plasticard rods. Drill a hole through one large enough for another rod to slip through, glue in place, and that's usually good enough. Reinforcing with some greenstuff isn't a bad idea.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SirJoeKCB posted:

I made these using plastic card tubes and brass rod. The connection piece is basically a plasticard X shape with a pin going through it.

Sulecrist posted:

I just finished painting my first thousand points of these marines. I still need to add a couple of details here and there (OSL on a Techmarine, chapter badges, that kind of thing), but everybody's got their first coat of varnish and they're ready for my first all-painted 1k game this weekend. I'm especially happy with how my faces are coming. Here are the last three models I finished:

These are legit nice looking, dude. Really crisp paint job and the flesh looks great.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

I just use plasticard rods. Drill a hole through one large enough for another rod to slip through, glue in place, and that's usually good enough. Reinforcing with some greenstuff isn't a bad idea.

BULBASAUR posted:

I made these using plastic card tubes and brass rod. The connection piece is basically a plasticard X shape with a pin going through it.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot. I guess I was just hung up on using brass rods/tubing for both sections.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

These guys rule. Please tell me you're getting an Eva-01 figure to go with them as a counts-as Knight :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bad Munki posted:

Here's one to maybe include in the OP, since I think a lot of people have trouble with fire at first. Fire color theory, and the follow-up fire practical application.

This is great, perfect for the advanced techniques section! I'd seen these before but forgot all about them :)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Re: useful info in the OP, for the "where do I get models from" section, here are some USA-based stores to go alongside The War Store (which is an excellent store):

Miniature Market http://www.miniaturemarket.com/
FRP Games http://www.frpgames.com/
Discount Games Inc http://www.discountgamesinc.com/
Noble Knight Games http://www.nobleknight.com/
Scale Hobbyist http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ (not so much a mini-related site, but has plenty of paints & tools)

I've ordered several items from all of these sites (and The War Store, too) over the last year or so, and can highly recommend them all to other US-based goons. If I get a chance I'll also dig up some eBay-based retailers that have given me good service, and put links to their eBay stores up too.

I've added this info too!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 19, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Now, painted stuff - been working on a couple of projects recently...

A couple of Reaper Bones monsters for iamthespaceinvader:

The kraken will have a starfield on its back, just the details on these two left to do, then some washes, hopefully I can get them all done tonight.

and a small Eldar force:

The guy with 2 guns is fully magnetized so his 5 or 6 different arms are all interchangeable. The flyer and Wave Serpent also have fully magnetized guns...that took a while!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Sulecrist posted:

These look very good. Are they from a homebrew chapter?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

I just finished painting my first thousand points of these marines.

Stop teasing and show us the rest.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

krushgroove posted:

Now, painted stuff - been working on a couple of projects recently...

A couple of Reaper Bones monsters for iamthespaceinvader:

Is that a Ymargl strain solar-kraken?! Those guys are great!

Medium Style posted:

You might be the only one that cares, but I finished a Slaanesh marine! I like how it turned out (mostly).

Next up is Khorne.

Squee!
What's not to like? Are you feeling like the hat should have had tiger stripes on it? Or one of the legs should be zebra patterned? Because I can understand that. But maybe he's just new to Slaanesh and hasn't had time to really let his hair down yet.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

But maybe he's just new to Slaanesh and hasn't had time to really let his hair down yet.

Yeah, he's new to Slaanesh. He listens to Godsmack and drinks light beer. He only has one penis. His name is Jeff. He's working on it.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Where do you guys buy brass rods, anyway? I've checked both my local Joanns and Michaels craft stores, and I haven't been able to find any there. Hardware store? Online only?

I have a trio of valkyrie figs now, and one of them needs a polearm. Post/avatar combo, etc etc.

:aaa: Space Kraken is not an idea I considered.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Iris of Ether posted:

:aaa: Space Kraken is not an idea I considered.

Yeah I think it's a great idea! iamthespaceinvader came up with it, I'm just trying to translate his concept to the model.

BTW I get my brass rod online, but I have no railroad shop near me.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I think it's a great idea! iamthespaceinvader came up with it, I'm just trying to translate his concept to the model.

BTW I get my brass rod online, but I have no railroad shop near me.

Train shops. :downs: That would do it! Turns out there is actually one sort of nearby, so I may hit it on the weekend.

Trip report incoming on Train Shopping While Female? :v: (I'm not anticipating problems.)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Iris of Ether posted:

Train shops. :downs: That would do it! Turns out there is actually one sort of nearby, so I may hit it on the weekend.

Trip report incoming on Train Shopping While Female? :v: (I'm not anticipating problems.)

I don't know...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660745&pagenumber=43&perpage=40#post442394993

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

:stare:

Still Not Even Close to Most Uncomfortable Gaming Hobby Experience

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Iris of Ether posted:

Train Shopping While Female?

Don't. Get as far away as you can. Order online.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Okay so I've found everything I need for my jungle bases except one thing, Monkeys , I cannot find realistic simian 28mm monkey's anywhere they're all cool Monkey with a Gun, Monkey with a Hat, Monkey with a Hat and A gun.

I want some realistic monkey's , I want to add them to some terrain pieces.

So has anyone ever come across any 28mm monkeys or have any suggestions on where to buy them?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 20, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Have you considered buying a small monkey, strangling it, boiling the carcass, and then using it's bones?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Hollismason posted:

Okay so I've found everything I need for my jungle bases except one thing, Monkeys , I cannot find realistic simian 28mm monkey's anywhere they're all cool Monkey with a Gun, Monkey with a Hat, Monkey with a Hat and A gun.

So has anyone ever come across any 28mm monkeys or have any suggestions on where to buy them?

Reaper Minis has a handful. They belong to some of the familiar packs, but you can buy the pieces individually.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah their miniature pack has one or two, I picked up a good many familiar packs from them as they've got some cool little animals in there . I'm looking more for like a in motion or dynamic range. I'll recheck them though.

I forget just how large Reaper's catalogue is.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Hollismason posted:

Yeah their miniature pack has one or two, I picked up a good many familiar packs from them as they've got some cool little animals in there . I'm looking more for like a in motion or dynamic range. I'll recheck them though.

I forget just how large Reaper's catalogue is.

I think they have a walking chimp that originally went with a Tarzan figure. Beyond that, though, I think you get into hats & guns again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I know which one you're talking about. I think I'm gonna try looking into those cheap plastic animals, sure I can find something of a approximation. While searching Reaper I did come across this guy http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/latest/50031 and immediately impulse bought it.

Also people complain about miniature prices, but I've been going through train Scenery stuff and holy poo poo is this train stuff expensive.

1/64th is 28mm isn't it?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Been a while since I painted anything new for the Ultramarines and their moderately expendable IG buddies! I was able to trade a friend for one of the old Skullz Techpriests, and I had some Servitors lying around so I painted up the unit of them: