Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge fan of the purple and teal. The way you picked them out on the lightning bolts works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

VolatileSky posted:

If I'm wrong on any of that please correct me, but that's been my understanding.
Nope, as fare as I've always learned it, this terminology is incorrect.

The problem is that you're only looking at opacity, where the terminology needs to also account for consistency. What's the difference between a "glaze" and a "filter?" Consistency. Both are semi-transparent, but a glaze is thick enough in consistency that it stays where you put it. You "paint" with glazes, you "wash" with filters. Filters are designed to flow freely and allow you to tint an entire area quickly and easily.

The difference between a "filter" and a "wash" is largely one of opacity. Washes are specifically designed to flow into recesses and dry in such a way as to accentuate texture. But most washes have a filtering effect in that they change the color wherever they are applied - it's just that that color change is more pronounced in recessed areas. But you are correct in that washes tend to essentially be high-opacity filters (or perhaps filters are high-transparency washes?).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also, god drat that teal-and-purple looks nice!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Felime posted:

A more bluish wash may read better as silver than purple. And I might start with a bright silver instead of gunmetal, wash fully, then highlight back up.

Yeah, blue is probably best. I just really like purple. Thanks.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried camoflague on my Hind by masking with blue tac and I am disappointed

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm a huge fan of the purple and teal. The way you picked them out on the lightning bolts works really well.

Also a big fan of those colors, and feeling envious about how good they look.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, blue is probably best. I just really like purple. Thanks.

Purple is a cool as poo poo color and I love it as a shade for browns, gold's and bronzes. Unfortunately it would probably take over a silver. You could certainly try anyways and report back.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Felime posted:

Purple is a cool as poo poo color and I love it as a shade for browns, gold's and bronzes. Unfortunately it would probably take over a silver. You could certainly try anyways and report back.

I tried purple on the leadbelcher'ed sigmarines from a few posts ago thinking it would tie the purple together. They turned into pinkmars instead, Blue works a treat as always.

Purple wash is great for skin tones though, the Blood duders from earlier have liberal amounts of purple wash in the recesses of their skin.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Here's my attempt at Fabulous Bill

Not sure if the rubber gloves thing is hokey or awesome. What do you guys think? I tried to make the cane marble like in the index, and this is my first attempt at flesh tone on a face.

Sorry for the blurry images. Galaxy core prime has a doodoo camera.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

Silver scales: black base, gun metal, purple wash, gun metal over the raised parts, highlight with silver?

Jumping in here with a minor suggestion: Vallejo Model Air has a metallic medium-dark blue color, 71071 Artic Blue (sic), which I like to use as a base color for silvers that I want to have a blue cast. Of course, that's based on my usual method of layering starting with the darkest color first; your method might differ. But that shade, with progressively lighter silver metallics drybrushed onto it, might give the kind of sheen you want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not sure if the rubber gloves thing is hokey or awesome. What do you guys think? I tried to make the cane marble like in the index, and this is my first attempt at flesh tone on a face.

Rubber gloves are awesome. And I love the bright green goo in his vials. The picture isn't great but the paintjob looks good!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Hard to get a decent picture of these shiny bastards without it either being too bright and reflective or too dark and hard to see.

Presenting the Stormpast'els.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Rubber gloves are awesome. And I love the bright green goo in his vials. The picture isn't great but the paintjob looks good!

Thanks! :yayclod: The weird thing about the gloves is I mentioned it just as the idea came to me, and my friend just so happened to have a pair that exact color in his paint box, and tossed em to me.

Sealed the deal. I'm just a pro at second guessing weird ideas after the fact.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Made a base before i even started applying paint to my redemptor dread.

I should probably invest in a whole bunch of those shades/washes from army painter and vallejo in order to have my "dirty poo poo up" arsenal completely stocked. time to hit the nerd store tomorrow!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Felime posted:

You could certainly try anyways and report back.

As much as I'd like to, I'm pressed for time with this model. It's for a gift.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Jumping in here with a minor suggestion: Vallejo Model Air has a metallic medium-dark blue color, 71071 Artic Blue (sic), which I like to use as a base color for silvers that I want to have a blue cast.

I might do this. I was gonna check a shop tomorrow to see if their Scale 75 stuff is back in stock and they've got most everything else. At the very least I have use of a metallic blue for other things. Thanks.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Kingdom Death Warlord

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I might try making that blue more pale but otherwise, it's a nice spot of colour!

I saw your cross-post in the bad thread. No one seems to reply to image posts unless it's a new bigmar or someones loyalist marines. Makes me mad >=(

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Thank you, yeah I didn't think people would really care, but then I guess that's why this thread exists :v: Just wanted to see what people who didn't necessarily paint their stuff thought. :shrug: I tried to dirty them up a bit with nuln oil, then bring it back up again with the same color.

Does the marbling in the cane translate, or does it just look messy? I think it looks alright, but I think that's because I know what I intended. The picture might be too grainy to tell though. I'll try to get a better picture once I get home from work.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 12, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pics are a bit grainy, yeah but i can still see it there. I think it looks good! Keeping the lines some what muted is nice and subtle and it doesn't try to compete with the vials on the top of him

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished my first unit of Primaris Intercessors!

Edge-highlighting black is very time-consuming. Guess I probably should have chosen a different chapter back in 2006.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Those mans crisp like chips.

:fsn:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished my first unit of Primaris Intercessors!

Edge-highlighting black is very time-consuming. Guess I probably should have chosen a different chapter back in 2006.

Awesome. And agreed on the black, I changed my chapter to the Raptors RG successor because every black mini was taking me days and I want to play :v

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Still got some minor detailing to do, as well as running the fiber-optics in the remaining seven swarms in this batch.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

dr_ether posted:

Finished Kingdom Death Warlord

This looks great man, well done

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-Postin'

Made a start on Inquisitor Greyfax today. Bit of speed painting session to this point but I'll probably spend as long again fixing the highlights.

Need to tidy up the metals a bit and try again at dotting the pupil.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Anyone have any tips on tinting Stormraven canopies? I'd like mine to be green instead of regular clear canopies.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

SRM posted:

Anyone have any tips on tinting Stormraven canopies? I'd like mine to be green instead of regular clear canopies.

Lots of medium and a drop of green ink might work.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe try the gem paints or some stained glass effect paints?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

Airbrush the underneath with acrylic medium to make a tacky surface.

Airbrush them with a green ghost tint 50/50 with medium.

Done

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SRM posted:

Floor polish + food coloring. I experimented with it on some lenses for a Monarch Henchman 21costume and it works beautifully.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Quick paint job of Brainpan and Memory for Guild Ball.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

My buddy recommended always painting the inside of a canopy. Not sure how well that would work on a tint though.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

SRM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH1ffArWJ-4

Ever seen this?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I wasn't sure where to share this, but I guess this makes sense seeing as its conversion/basing fodder. GW has reached the final stage of their skull fetish by releasing a plastic set that is literally nothing besides hundreds of skulls. So if you've ever been building something (presumably not from GW) and thought 'wow this could really use like 30 skulls' now you are all set!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ashcans posted:

I wasn't sure where to share this, but I guess this makes sense seeing as its conversion/basing fodder. GW has reached the final stage of their skull fetish by releasing a plastic set that is literally nothing besides hundreds of skulls. So if you've ever been building something (presumably not from GW) and thought 'wow this could really use like 30 skulls' now you are all set!

No joke, that set looks pretty great. The other basing sets are cool too.

I saw that, I was just curious if there were any techniques that didn't require me buying a bunch of stuff I can't find at my FLGS.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

SRM posted:

No joke, that set looks pretty great. The other basing sets are cool too.
It's actually cool to be able to get something like a bunch of genestealer skulls or a big monster skull to use in a project, it was just sort of amusing because GW has always been big on skulls and now we have a kit that is just 100% skulls. To be honest I could probably have done with fewer than 150 human skulls in exchange for some other bone parts though. What does Khorne do with all the bodies, anyway? Does he have a fast-food empire?

The other two basing kits are pretty cool, especially the one that promises flexible plants you can apply to any shape.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

What does Khorne do with all the bodies, anyway? Does he have a fast-food empire?

Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne, Internal Organs for a lovely khornish pastie.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ashcans posted:

I don't think I've seen a deal from any other company that sells as many or more skulls for less.

Wow. GW actually has something I want to buy!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ashcans posted:

The other two basing kits are pretty cool, especially the one that promises flexible plants you can apply to any shape.

For plants, I personally prefer etched brass, but that's partly because you can get a much wider variety of plants, and they don't look quite as silly as the GW ones. The skulls are definitely a good deal though, unless you only need a handful (in which case Secret Weapon is probably the better buy since they're $15 for 50).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

What do they do with all the other bones in the 41st millennium?