Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone have a face painting for dummies tutorial?

I feel like I've advanced enough with my painting skill that I should start practicing on doing more than just relying on washes for faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

I feel like I've advanced enough with my painting skill that I should start practicing on doing more than just relying on washes for faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN_8KnoNbcA

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

jesus WEP posted:

if i created a tmm zenithal with black metal - steel - silver, is there a contrast or ink that will make it look gold? or are metallics too cold, and it’ll end up looking a bit green?

It depends on your base colors. If the steel paint you're using is very blue, it'll come out greenish as the end result. Most standard silver paints should produce a solid gold effect though. I particularly like Snakebite Leather for an almost brassy-gold.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok so that video may be a little hyper detailed for what you asked for but the volumetric light theory in the beginning is incredibly helpful. If you follow the painting portion in the last half of the video you can see that he starts with the dark-medium tone they layers up to the highlights. I took that recipe idea on the last couple faces I painted, which arent phenomenal but ok for tabletop quality, and ran with it. Start with a dark-medium skin color, then on the forehead and upper cheeks layer on a mix of that base mixed with a brighter skin color then highlight on the forehead with that brighter skin color.

I'm still learning to paint faces but once it sorta clicked it became super fun instead of this horrible thing that I dreaded doing.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Floppychop posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-human-skin/

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Main thing I'd like to improve is painting feminine faces. I can do masculine decently well since it turns out chunky highlights and stark contrasts work well for the chisled jaw/cheekbones of the stereotypical 80s action star. Not so much on anything else.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

Main thing I'd like to improve is painting feminine faces. I can do masculine decently well since it turns out chunky highlights and stark contrasts work well for the chisled jaw/cheekbones of the stereotypical 80s action star. Not so much on anything else.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HhI2CFk

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

BELIAL, GRAND MASTER OF THE DEATHWING hell yeah

Looks awesome. Is that skeleton horde contrast for the armour?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Looks awesome. Is that skeleton horde contrast for the armour?

I'm this case I did Ushabti Bone, recess shading with Seraphim Sepia, and then a highlight of Screaming Skull.

I also tried it on another model with Skeleton Horde over a bone color and got a similar result so :shrug:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
After testing out three or eight paint schemes I've finally decided how I'm going to paint my elves.

New edition, new army!

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 7, 2021

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I am absolutely retarded. I was looking at the GW painted tech priest and was thinking the white lines on the hood are so sharp they must have a really good house painter...well off to struggle to emulate that.

Not that I am unhappy with the results but the next day when I realized that they were transfers I nearly ran headfirst into a wall.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tbh I think painting that free hand on a curvy surface like that would be so much loving easier than getting a transfer to lay flat, flush, and even on that hood or on the hem of a flowing robe

Just like mix white ink into white paint so you get some flow and opacity.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Picked up a couple STC brushes and what I'm noticing right away is the drybrush has fewer bristles more tightly packed together.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

This is great. And I love that it points out an 'eavy metal paintjob as what not to do.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I bought a filing cabinet from Ikea that works well for my abhorrently large collection of paints

There's three drawers filled with paint like that and then one of brushes, one of basing materials, and one that I just keep gloves in. I like trying out paint and different colors
Is that a Helmer?

Mini and nail nerd poo poo do have a lot of overlap, huh.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, I use a 5 in 1 make-up trolly to store all my warhammer poo poo and it’s amazing. The cantilevered top part is great for the things I use all the time (like brushes and tools and such), the compartments are great for organising everything from all my paints and water effects, to basing materials and spare bases and so on. I can shove it in a closet or the attic/basement when I don’t need it out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DressCodeBlue posted:

Is that a Helmer?

you joke but I totally realized this and have leaned into it and have been practicing manicures on myself to prep for when my niece gets older. So far nothing past how to smooth and buff nails but I'm so drat close to painting my own nails as practice

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Is that a Helmer?

I looked up nail art tutorials when I couldn't find a good miniature-centric guide to painting gradients with a sponge. I can't speak to the reverse but there is absolutely a wealth of information out there that is extremely useful to nerd poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batch painting seemed like a more efficient idea to get 4 assault intercessors done quickly. But then again I'm also pretty slow at painting these guys because i'm a little too detail oriented on literal throwaway troops that I'm just going to have sit on objectives to get shot at. However, the humble obsec troops win games and these goofballs punch above their weight as space wolves. So yeah, putting in the usual amount of effort feels good. It's a simple but effective method of blocking out all the colors, pin washing the grey armor, touch ups to make sure everything looks clean and in the lines, then a sloppy drybrush of white. The pin wash and touch ups take the most time but it;s totally worth it.

I'll get the transfers done later but man, two days and I'm only 90% of the way done with 4 dudes.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Batch painting seemed like a more efficient idea to get 4 assault intercessors done quickly. But then again I'm also pretty slow at painting these guys because i'm a little too detail oriented on literal throwaway troops that I'm just going to have sit on objectives to get shot at. However, the humble obsec troops win games and these goofballs punch above their weight as space wolves. So yeah, putting in the usual amount of effort feels good. It's a simple but effective method of blocking out all the colors, pin washing the grey armor, touch ups to make sure everything looks clean and in the lines, then a sloppy drybrush of white. The pin wash and touch ups take the most time but it;s totally worth it.

I'll get the transfers done later but man, two days and I'm only 90% of the way done with 4 dudes.

Those are some good looking space wolves. Can't wait to see them at 100%. I love the frosted chainsword teeth.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I looked up nail art tutorials when I couldn't find a good miniature-centric guide to painting gradients with a sponge. I can't speak to the reverse but there is absolutely a wealth of information out there that is extremely useful to nerd poo poo.

Nail art tools are often very similar to hobby tools but cheaper. Sponges, files etc are really useful. There's also tools for making dots on nails (looks like tiny ball-bearings with handles) that can be used for sculpting certain shapes.

Miniatures paint shakers are exactly the same as nail paint shakers from the same factory with a different sticker on, and more expensive. The list goes on. Brushes tends to be more expensive for make-up though in my experience.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I don't know about makeup brushes for detail and such but get the cheapest (like dollar store) contour make-up brushes you can find, they're PERFECT for drybrushing and far cheaper than any dedicated one.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Pretty happy with the progress I've made so far. This is my 5th mini since getting back into the hobby after lots of years off. There's still a long way to go, but this is the first guy I'm actually kinda pleased with how it turned out. Still need to add the base I'm working on, but didn't want to wait to post.

Also like the way my ghetto lightbox has improved my picture taking.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished a few more.

A noble dandy

A big birb

I like the raven particularly, the feathers on the wings were wet blended from purple to blue at the tips and I think it came out really well.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted up some metallic red Sekhmet for my 30k Thousand Sons:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished some 10mm peasants, but still waiting on bases

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hixson posted:

I painted up some metallic red Sekhmet for my 30k Thousand Sons:

that is an extremely nice candy red

i want to eat them

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

finished some 10mm peasants, but still waiting on bases

god drat. you have to give us a breakdown on your process. incredible work.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Jumping late onto skin talk, has anyone tried Vallejo's Face/Skin Set? I like the variety it apparently seems to offer but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it in practice. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PHCPTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XwTdCbA0MWT3Z?th=1

it looks like there's also a face painting set and slightly more comprehensive skin tone set, if anyone's tried those? Right now I've been relying on mixing straight primaries + white which has been much more of a pain in the rear end than I anticipated so I'm pretty eager to get some dedicated paints for skin.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 8, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Koramei posted:

Jumping late onto skin talk, has anyone tried Vallejo's Face/Skin Set? I like the variety it apparently seems to offer but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it in practice. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PHCPTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XwTdCbA0MWT3Z?th=1

I have this set and I like it well enough, but I still struggle getting it right. Some look decent enough, some look spraytanned.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have the malefic skin tone set and it's pretty drat good.

However, my favorite neutral skin tone right now is medium skin tone with some Iraqi sand layered on then some pale skin tone mixed with that for highlights. I bought Iraqi sand to paint parchment but it works really well as a skin layer, so I wasn't too far off technically

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

punishedkissinger posted:

god drat. you have to give us a breakdown on your process. incredible work.

the eyes are the trickiest part, and i always do them first, followed by the face.
i made a little tutorial on how i do it. pretty sure ive seen this technique for 28mm

here's are the minis with the supports removed

1. prime black

2. base coat the eyes white. no need to be careful on this step, just go hog wild. add a second coat if it doesnt dry pure white.

3. add the pupils. this is the trickiest part. your paint needs to be thin but not watery. the brush is so small and the amount of paint on it is so tiny it will dry quickly. if it gets too dry, you won't be able to paint the pupils properly. if its drying to quickly use a bit flow improver

3a. if (when) you gently caress it up, you can possibly correct it without starting over by applying white to the sides. i only get it right about 50% of the time

4. carefully restore the black base coat around the eyes

5. basecoat the skin around the eyes. allow just a sliver of the black to remain around the eye

6. finish the skin. compared to the eyes/face, the rest of the minis is easy peasy

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted some more MCP, someday I'll even play with them maybe!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the eyes are the trickiest part, and i always do them first, followed by the face.
i made a little tutorial on how i do it. pretty sure ive seen this technique for 28mm

here's are the minis with the supports removed

1. prime black

2. base coat the eyes white. no need to be careful on this step, just go hog wild. add a second coat if it doesnt dry pure white.

3. add the pupils. this is the trickiest part. your paint needs to be thin but not watery. the brush is so small and the amount of paint on it is so tiny it will dry quickly. if it gets too dry, you won't be able to paint the pupils properly. if its drying to quickly use a bit flow improver

3a. if (when) you gently caress it up, you can possibly correct it without starting over by applying white to the sides. i only get it right about 50% of the time

4. carefully restore the black base coat around the eyes

5. basecoat the skin around the eyes. allow just a sliver of the black to remain around the eye

6. finish the skin. compared to the eyes/face, the rest of the minis is easy peasy

incredible thank you!

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, that’s amazing. 10mm pupils, good lord. I stopped doing eyes at all with my 28 mm stuff because I was loving it up so much.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Been painting some freeguild dudes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vampire.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have ink recommendations? For brush painting initially but maybe trying out with one of those battery powered air brushes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have the vallejo game ink set and it’s okay but any liquitex or daler rowney acrylic inks ive bought since then are much much richer and more intense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just bought a daler rowley starter set and while I havent used it yet it does come in very impressive bottles complete with eyedroppers.