Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So thank you to the lovely people in here who suggested using purple wash to shade red; it appears to be voodoo. This thread rules.

Is there an equivalent unholy magic for blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Star Man posted:

Awesome stuff

Thank you very much indeed, this is awesome.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If you're not looking to play a game then I don't think you can do much better for cheap fantasy mans to paint than Reaper Bones, at least to try a couple and see if you want to continue painting more tiny mans.

They makes some huge, some small.

e:f,b

Bonesium is a little weird but I really can't see a better idea for trying out painting some minis to see if you're going to enjoy it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I am pretty much a hack painter and I don't post here much because of that, but just to share a little - I started with Vallejo Model Colour because they were available at a hobby store that was close to my house. I love the range of colours (they have, like, a zillion greys) but they are really fragile. If you're not careful you will rub the paint you just put on off doing another part of the model. Sometimes I have to do a coat of varnish partway through to mitigate this. That said, they really do have lovely colours.

Started recently trying out some Reaper and P3, which are definitely more robust. I think I complained in here before about how much I hate how the Reaper bottles foul. The triad system is really cool for people like me who need some help figuring out how to shade and highlight. I haven't done a lot of P3 yet but they do seem really easy to get a nice smooth, thinned coat with.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

El Estrago Bonito posted:

VMC does have one huge advantage which is that English Uniform is a VMC color and it's awesome.

*Everything* is a VMC Colour!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Electric Hobo posted:

Vallejo has a metallic medium, but I don't know how good it is. Alternatively you could get some aluminium powder and mix it into the paint. I have done it like that and it works pretty well.

I've only experimented a little with the Metal Medium (:rock:) and it does what it's supposed to, but it lightens whatever colour you mix it with, which I guess makes sense.

On the other hand Vallejo makes a Gunmetal Blue that is a dark blue metallic paint so maybe just go with that?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

w00tmonger posted:

Love the setup but its a bit overkill for what Im looking at.

As far as KR goes, are there particular bags that are better than others etc? their site always seems a bit daunting

Their site is awful but the product is great and I found their customer service fantastic. I got so confused by their site I ended up just emailing them and saying 'this is what I have, will it fit in X tray and X bag' and they got back to me right away to confirm that it would all work.

I have their Kaiser 1 shoulder bag that holds one of their card case dealios; it has been super durable and holds everything I need to take two 50 point WM/H lists out to the FLGS.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

w00tmonger posted:

So Kaiser 2 would be pretty reasonable? I wish I could find specs etc on here.

Kaiser 3?

Depends how much you need to lug around. The Kaiser 2 holds 2 of their cardcase modules, the 3 will hold (wait for it) 3. I went for a relatively small case because at the time I was taking the bus to the FLGS and wanted something compact. Plus I don't really care about having my whole collection with me every time I go.

How many card cases you need probably depends on the game you're buying the case for and how much of your army you want to transport at once. If you were playing WM/H I would guess (from how much fits into my case) you could fit the bulk of a good-sized collection into a Kaiser 3.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The thing is too that 'cardboard box' doesn't exactly cover it. It's not a shoebox. You can sit on them and they don't crush. I've been using mine for I guess going on 4 years now and it is only showing a tiny bit of wear around the hinge. It got water dripped on it once from a leaky AC pipe - right onto the cardboard, not onto the exterior bag - and it didn't get wrecked from that either. I grant you it may not be the cheapest storage solution you could possibly find, and you could probably homebuild something that works just as well, but on the other hand the KR stuff works outstanding and is, in my opinion, basically worry-free.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Literally The Worst posted:

Where the heck can I buy Vallejo online?

Miniature Market and Meeplemart have it as well, although Meeplemart is currently showing a lot of stuff out of stock.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Avenging Dentist posted:

That reminds me that I need to grab some brush-on primer for touchup and such. Has anyone used Vallejo primers for brushing on? I've been liking their VMC range a lot, but I haven't tried the primers.

I do that with all my models (I don't really have anyplace I can spray stuff). Both the black and white primers work great brushed on.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Serotonin posted:

Finished other than the shield which I can't do because my wife's not around to cut the decal out. Oh and needs some flock

Not bad considering I guess. Had to rely on washes a lot more than usual though.

If I didn't know that was a first attempt with your off hand, I would just say that was a nice looking model.

It's awesome, considering the context.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Matte Medium is not a thinner. I swear. It is basically paint without the pigment. I use it for layering to increase the transparency of the paint without making it start to flow like a wash or whatever. Thinner Medium is more like adding water in that it dilutes the paint and makes it flow more.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I have a strange request. I'm making a goal token for my Brewers Guild Ball team and I'm looking for something I can use that will look like a still. I think I can fake up the coil bit with either paper clip wire or some other wire I have around, but I need something that will work for the big metal vessel.

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of - the problematic part is pretty much dead centre here.

The whole shebang needs to fit on a 50mm base.

All ideas gratefully received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Oooh those milk cans might be exactly what I need, thank you!

I'm not quite crazy enough to build a tiny little working still.

Yet.