Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Great thread. I was going to start painting minis with the intent of getting into playing warhams eventually, but not any time soon. I have a squad of Tau fire caste mans on the way, and I need to get the bare bones basics in terms of brushes, paints, and tools.

I know I don't need $65 worth of CITADEL WEB BUNDLE BRUSHES! but I also don't want a 12 pack of garbage Testors model sets either. I'd like a happy medium of brush quality, somewhere between an angels pubic hair to a skavens taint pubes.

ESSENTIALS:

A #2 sable brush for base coating, a #1 sable brush for detail, and a #0 for fine detail. These will all be sable hair brushes.

A wash brush, dry brush brush, and maybe some other utility brush I'm not aware of. These will by synthetic hair.

A pair of dikes for cutting parts off sprues.

A hobby knife.

Does this sound like a good basic kit to start painting when my space mans get here?

EDIT: What is a less expensive alternative to the :lol: $30 diagonal wire cutters GW offers? Snap On makes tools that expensive.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Should I use the purpose made Army Painter primers or can I get away with Rustoleum or Krylon automotive primer? I also seem to remember a Krylon line that is made for painting plastic.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Rotten Cookies posted:

Why is this not in the OP?

No, but that is a kick-rear end OP for the thread.

I MUST SCREAM BUT I'VE NO MOUTH!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Sulecrist posted:

I just finished painting my first thousand points of these marines. I still need to add a couple of details here and there (OSL on a Techmarine, chapter badges, that kind of thing), but everybody's got their first coat of varnish and they're ready for my first all-painted 1k game this weekend. I'm especially happy with how my faces are coming. Here are the last three models I finished:

These look very good. Are they from a homebrew chapter?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out which non-gun arms go with which gun arms. Couldn't they be assed to letter these things so I don't glue a gun arm and try to force the wrong non-gun arm on? I have no way of knowing other than 'yea that looks OK I guess.' Also, are Tau shoulder pads supposed to consume the entire non-gun arm? Literally the only thing showing is the wrist and hand.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm certain I hosed up the gun arm - no gun arm ratio by probably 60% Without any markings on the sprues it is impossible to know which arms go with which, and relying on the assumption that whatever arms are across from each other are pairs is bad. If it wasn't for the huge shoulder pads my shoddy matching jobs would be a glaring problem to many a neckbeard. There has to be an easier way to learn how to match arms.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
If I over primed my hams, can I dump them in a bucket of simple green and get the spray paint primer off? How should I dilute the simple green? Will I simply dissolve my hams?

What if I'm gay?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Indolent Bastard posted:

Simple green will remove primer, will not damage hams, you are and have always been super gay.

Yay.

Do I simply empty a bottle of simple green into a bowl and soak my hams? I want to make sure I don't need to dilute it, and I need to know how long I should let them soak.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

JerryLee posted:

Use a container with a lid. It's not toxic but it does have an odor. You want something that you can close with a good seal and leave for however long it takes.

As for how long that is, you can check it as often as you like but there's no reason not to leave it overnight at least, unless you are super desperate to begin (re-)painting.

I am talking about stripping plastic minis, not metal. I don't want to discover my minis are a soupy slick of polymers on the surface of the simple green in the morning.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I think I'll stop obsessing about it and paint them first.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Post 9-11 User posted:

No need to dilute the Simple Green at all, raw dog those models right into the bottle. Pour it over yourself.

I'm pretty sure I've tested resin, too, in there and nothing was harmed.

I got a Mason jar, filled it half way with PURPLE POWER, and raw dogged my hams in that poo poo. The primer on the bases came off in about 5 minutes, but I think the stuff on the hams themselves is being a bit more stubborn. I"ll let it sit in there until my paints get here, then take an old toothbrush to them.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

krushgroove posted:

Great, thanks. This is about infantry, btw, I'm pretty comfortable with vehicles/bigger stuff (yay tanks) but not so much with infantry. I have some red ink on the way and will try gloss coating the infantry and doing some washes to do the blacklining (to save time).

You can do, I used Ghost Tints on the worm-type monster I posted earlier in the thread and paints on the kraken model. With the Ghost Tints (which are candy colors, which are basically inks in gloss medium) it was just black and white over grey, then the candies over most of the model:

With paint you have to do really light coats of the base color until you get the effect you want. You have to be patient because the color darkens as it dries so I try to do one coat over everything and see how it is before putting on any more. This is panel lining on vehicles with one coat of base color, the effect with zenithal priming is similar:

Tell us about painting the anus of that worm.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
:toot: Got a positive GW customer service story :toot:

My Tau paint bundle was supposed to be here on Saturday, but it didn't show. I called GW customer service on Monday at around 500 central (open past average hours!) and told them my problem. The guy looked into it and said that the partnered shipping service with UPS/USPS is having trouble. UPS delivered the paints to the local USPS office, but the USPS wasn't taking the delivery for whatever reason. GW then refunded the shipping, and placed a new order for the same paints and gave me FEDEX 2 day shipping, which should be here tomorrow. I checked my mail today, and my original package arrived. I got a free set of Tau paints on the way and I didn't pay shipping for either.

All in all, great GW customer service experience.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

The best thing about painting Dreadfleet is the endless detail that no one will ever see or notice, lovingly painted by me.

Put it behind glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Hollismason posted:

Is it okay to talk about casting in the thread or not, because I've been trying to downsize some specific models and am having no success getting anywhere with it.

How'd ya get that title?