Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Southern Heel posted:

How do I maintain a kind of visual coherency while not making them look like they are all wearing a uniform?

Use a mother colour to unify all the tones and shades.

Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0OM6QwtRGm/?igsh=MW9oMjZvNWF1djVyNA==

Technique: https://youtu.be/p0nqofvkFdQ?si=rQtImTAf042xvq8y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I love Scale paints, but find myself almost never using the black, as it's literally too flat. Feels like you're putting primer down.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm wondering where the diminishing returns start to show with this many highlights. Can I get something within 99% range if I do only 1 highlight, or will that only put me at like 60% range?

Depends really.

If you’re layering your highlights, 1 highlight looks like it. 2 helps, 3 approaches a rough blend when you look at it from a foot away.

If you airbrush on that highlight, you can use the free feathering you get to help hide the transition.

If you glaze it on, it’ll be so minute you’d not notice a single stage.

Etc etc

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pro Acryl bold titanium white will change your life in terms of coverage.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That’s a real can of worms question, and hobbyists fall at each end of the spectrum and everywhere in between

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I bought some when a friend said he was getting into it. Non-heroic scaled minis are a real ball ache when you’re getting used to painting them for the first time

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mederlock posted:

Is very low humidity making dry brushing not very effective A Thing? It's bone dry where I live, and I find when I brush it off on paper towel or cardstock paper and then try to dry brush, it's so dry already that I don't seem to get the dry brush effect I see in videos.

For reference I'm using good quality mini paints with a very soft makeup brush

Don’t use paper towel, what little moisture there is in the paint is instantly removed by being absorbed so when you come to paint on the figure you’re just smearing sticky pigment and instantly getting chalk.

Advise checking out the Artis Opus channel on YouTube to see how to dry brush well.

You can keep using the makeup brushes tho

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Slyphic posted:

the first author died like two months after funding ended, and then the backup author died the next year,

:stare:

Personally, I would have no desire for the clearly cursed book in my house

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I just use medium if I need to put a layer down.

Airbrush some lahmian medium / your brand of choice and keep going.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
All these painters who deny themselves the pleasure of racks on paints that go for miles and look very pretty.

Concerned about ‘cost’ or something. Smdh.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pro Acryl is the way and the truth

Go with colour, brother

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AndyElusive posted:

So important question while on the topic: is it "Pro Ack-rill" or "Pro Ahh-crill" ?

...and what do you guys do with the little bit of dried paint that builds up on the tip of your dropper bottles after use?

The founder pronounces it ‘ahh crill’ so I went with that.

Also, I bought the dropper lids alternates:

https://monumenthobbies.com/collections/hobbytools/products/pro-acryl-alternate-bottle-lid-set-dropper

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mederlock posted:

I have the heavy body and soft body (my wife likes painting acrylic), but yeah thick paints aren't my preference, I guess. Like, it's good, I just found the Bold Titanium White had more control and a bit more opacity when you're carefully pulling it into a tight spot.

Admittedly, I am a terrible mini painter. It can likely be entirely attributed to a Skill Issue

Once I found bold titanium white, I stopped using Liquitex white ink for zenithal. When the main reason for using ink over acrylics through an airbrush got solved, the ink stopped having appeal for me

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, lockdown was tough on all of us.

:golfclap:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Scale 75 has some absolute winners that VMC doesn’t make, such as decayed metal.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
You definitely should thin citadel metallics a little, as they’re (mostly) quite gloopy. You can use water if you’d like, but sparingly.

For paid options, if you try a little matte medium (liquitex, golden, lahmian medium) it’ll help a bit as well.

Some people also like a single drop of Vallejo flow improver as a good option too.

For all of the above, I’d recommend doing not on a wet palette to start with, as you’ll want to work out your consistency as you experiment, and the wet palette will consistently be adding liquid to the equation.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That class just happens to be ‘best of the rest’

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cease to Hope posted:

retributor gold is genuinely excellent

yeah it's probably the best one they do, and it's ok, but (imo) Scale 75 Dwarven gold is a better covering, finer mica warm gold.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It’s really well done, nice!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's a good white for airbrushing with now? I guess ideally in a dropper bottle. Vallejo Air has been okay but can imagine better, does Pro Acryl play well?

Yep, thin it down like any other paint, and it owns.

BizarroAzrael posted:

And is there a crackle paint out there? Ideally black? I've been trying Green Stuff Worlds but the darkest they have is brown and it's thinner than GW Mordant Earth so harder to get big cracks from, or generally vary the sizes.

Go to any art supply store and buy a pot of crackle medium for :10bux: and mix whatever colour you want in. Add more medium for bigger cracks, add less if you want smaller.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Although it would’ve been pretty funny to have a negative review on a co-branded product.

Not sure what anyone would expect otherwise

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
To actually contribute, I kickstarted 2 sets of the original Artis Opus series S and they’re.. fine?

It’s a premium price, it’s a good product, but I personally prefer Raphael 8404s for having a proper sized belly so you’re not having to load the brush as much, but it’s more personal preference.

Nice handles on the Opus too

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OgreNoah posted:

My Nagash won crowd favorite at the LGS winter painting competition! Got 35$ in store credit too, which is nice!

Owns.

Congratulations!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Al-Saqr posted:

Vortex mixers are the greatest invention known to man.

Remember it’s not complete until you’ve put googly eyes on it

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice for dipping your toes into inks?

Dilution is key- it’s astounding how intense inks are.

Start by diluting about 6 parts medium/thinner to ink and go from there.

In terms of colour, I love the scale inktensity, I have the full set- brown and chestnut are good, I also love their crimson. Super easy way to add a massive saturation hit back into reds you might have accidentally highlighted too far into orange or pink territory.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Forge world kits are still extremely half assed with clean up.

The amount of flashing is just obnoxious, and there’s some pieces that simply need to be rethought for production. At least in the Necromunda space.

I’ll still buy their crap tho. So.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I can highly, highly recommend a wow stick for drilling.

It’s a small pen sized battery operated drill for modelling tasks, spins at only 400rpm which is perfect for hams.

$30 off Ali Express, a bit more on Amazon. Love it for quickly making sub assemblies or pinning models to bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

grassy gnoll posted:

Does the Wow Stick actually use some weird proprietary chuck, or is that just some strangely-edited video when people are doing reviews of the thing?

Nah, it’ll fit whatever.

Lumpy posted:

I'd be more worried about electronics from Ali Express (or Amazon for that matter) exploding and killing me. Then again :tinfoil:

It would at worst give you a small case of the spicy smoke. The battery is teeny tiny.