Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Killer OP krushgroove! I now dont have trawl through bulbasaurs post history to find his rad tutorials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Joining the :bandwagon: and posting some of my favourite figs (mostly Orks plus Oaths from the past year):

Close the thread, we can't top this. Best counts as allied unit ever conceived.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

What red did you use on those Blood Angels? It is the perfect 2nd ed shade.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

that crocodile is tearing poo poo up in the pitt

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Awaken realms has done a cool tutorial on airbrushing the new blood thirster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjhl3R1hq-Q

Pretty good to watch to figure out how to paint things other than tanks iwth your airbrush. Also you can get sick results from drybrushing.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I'm gonna be a gently caress head and go back to rimming and say that pure white or black for rims is bad. They are too stark and distract. Use a really dark grey or a light grey or blue I'd you have to.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

This is heresy. Black rim supremacy.

My dark angels and vostroyans are black rimmed so maybe black rims are heresy. This is a recent opinion I have formed after reading some colour choice articles when stoned

E: boon your army us sick but please reposition your wraithknight so it isn't leaning back

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Medium Style posted:

Thanks - what would be a good handful of oil paints to pick up if I am just starting with the stuff?

Black, raw sienna and burnt umber.

I want to experiment with using other colours on chaos marines to try out a cell shaded look but those are the three you want for doing natural looking shading

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Medium Style posted:

This goes back to my earlier question - those three colors will shade the majority of what I will be working with? I never see anyone using red/purple oil paint to shade red armor or a dark blue oil to shade a blue model like you would with acrylic washes. I'm wondering why that is.

You will be able to paint whatever colours with those 3 oil paints, but you won't get a bright GW fantasy look. It will be grimy and realistic. Oil shading is a scale modelling technique and is generally used to get realistic results. You can expand with more colours later on if you are saving now or want to do super bright and saturated colours.

The end of part two of the videos that slimnoid posted shows a brown and a blue paint being used to shade the entire miniature.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

In my mind hollismasons painting room looks like a crime scene from true detective.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

QuasarInfinity posted:

I don''t know if this is the right place for these, and it's a little late for Easter, but I used my warham paints to make these so...

Painting on eggs is actually pretty fun.

Also, my ingenious painty-egg holding device:

Check this for some Romanian woman painting eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcx5TTtdfY

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Does anyone have any tips about testing color schemes on vehicles without actually painting the vehicle? I'm going to do the Steel Legion that I've had sitting in a box for over a decade, and I want to test out a color scheme for the vehicles. While I like the standard SL scheme of Rotting Flesh/Black striping, I've never thought it fit the aesthetic of the SL Khaki trenchcoats. I think I want to do a color more traditionally associated with Tallarn.

Problem is, I've only got six Chimeras and none to spare in a color test. They aren't small, and I really don't want to use one and try to go back and strip it later (I don't have anything large enough to soak it in.) In addition, I want to do some hairspray chipping, so I'm afraid if I do that and don't like the color, I'll have uneven spots when I overpaint.

What do I do? :ohdear:

Get a cereal box corner, glue some squares of cereal cardboard on it to simulate armour panels and glue some thinly cut rod strips for rivets and then practice.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Straight paintin' bases from the hotel room suckas

Those splatter effects make my hotelier sphincter tighten

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Medium Style posted:

I'm no expert but I see people praising P3 and Reaper in general, Vallejo Air or Vallejo Liquid Gold for metallics, and Citadel for shades/washes.

I started using Vallejo Game Color because 1) they are a better value than Citadel, 2) they come in dropper bottles, and 3) it is easy to find matches for the majority of Citadel paints. The second one is important to me because I have literally knocked over every bottle of paint that I own. The third one is important to me because I am bad at art and I like to use other people's stuff as a guide, and tutorials on the internet tend to speak in terms of Citadel paints.

I have some P3 for skin tones and it seems like good stuff until I knock over the jar. VGC skin tones are too yellow or orange for me. I was also disappointed in the Vallejo line of washes, some dried cloudy and some were not strong enough.

Paint off of a palette so you dont have to worry knocking over your paints, you can use a wet palette if you are worried about wastage. Also I kinda hate dropper bottles because they are always getting clogged so my collection tends to lean to Coat D Arms, P3 and Citadel.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

HardCoil posted:

I think in the old days, moulds for pewter minis were made using both pressure and high temperature, using greenstuff sculpts. You'll probably be fine.
Just test with a small piece?

Yeah it should be fine.

I remember a story about the Perry twins when they were younger and GW was just starting up. They would sculpt models with plasticine in the center and then surround it with kneadatite/greenstuff/putty to save money. When the company went to make moulds of the miniatures the pressure and heat caused them to explode. They lost all of their limbs and that is how they became Peter Jackson's Cyborg sculptors.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

More that one of them blew their hand off with a cannon. Then relearnt to sculpt left handed by doing one of the best fantasy miniatures ever made in the Green Knight.

Yeah, I know that is what happened to cause Michael to lose his hand, but the plasticine sculpts exploding is a separate thing.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Sometimes it is cool to make stuff for novelty sake and they make rules for it because why not? It isn't like they are replacing tactical marines with warlord titans or something.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Hell, GW is even going to start charging people just to look at the models at Warhammer World after it opens up again.

That is some loving bullshit if true. Unless there are actual Space Marines pouring you beer.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah that is mega dumb. Lets charge people to experience a really great promotional tool.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

My boss for my kow 10km orcs using pendraken miniatures. A mate is doing a kislev army and are gonna play on an ikea coffee table.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I understand people are annoyed that they have to pay now to see the exhibition halls but they are larger, they have a permanent team to make displays specifically for WHW and they'll be making new display boards on a regular basis. The big display took 10 months to make and all the displays will be updated with new models, like the Space Wolves/Tyranids battle scene. For me, I play at WHW a couple times a year and I would pay to go into the exhibition once a year to see what's new.

So is the exhibition thing seperate of the gaming hall? Can you play for free?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Moola, makeup brushes are really good for drybrushing actually and you will be fine to use it.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Painting goons what am I doing wrong here. I put a wash on this X-wing ship and its dirtying up the overall ship well enough but nothing is really collecting in the nooks and corners. Am i just watering it down too much? Im using about a 50:50 water/wash ratio. How do i get it to bring out the details more without making it too grey in the other areas any more? Sorry the pic sucks but my phone really hates focusing on anything close up

It looks like you've watered it to the point where the pigment has separated from the acrylic medium. You want to either use matte medium or pledge floor varnish to thin the paint (you will need to matte varnish after if you use pledge)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

IIRC Cote d'arms still make Goblin Green. Not sure if it's an exact match to the GW one of old though.

It should be a match to the original citadel paints.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Coat d arms is the answer for metallic blue. They do all the old coloured metallics that gw uses to do.

It's the answer for everything on this page in fact.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

The cheapest place I have found isopropyl is in Filipino grocers.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

The green is dope

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Driver: *phone dialing* hello, is this Mrs Patrokov? Yes this is about your son, your first born. No, no, his soul hasn't been eaten by the ruinous powers haha, he just when a little silly on the lho sticks. Yes, he was doing gravity bongs. I am looking after him fine Mrs Patrokov don't worry. Say hello to Mr Patrokov for me please. The Emperor protects!

dishwasherlove posted:

Can it be 10mm time now?

This rules. I am working on 10mm orcs and if you are in Sydney we should play.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

This is all the Warmaster I have painted, and I'm in Melbourne sadly. Which models are you using for your Orcs?

Still trying to workout how to translate the living marble/obsidian thing GW use for all their Tomb Kings to 10mm.

I'm using pendraken but intend to mix some other companies models in. A friend is using hussars and mongols to make a kislev force from pendraken as well.

http://imgur.com/a/MzzJA

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

That rules skarsnik

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Brownstuff is for hard edges and weapons and shut like that. Greenstuff is better for more organic shapes. Haven't dealt with the other stuffs

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

You can be a cripple hero like that Perry twin whose hand was blasted off. I think the green knight was his first sculpt after the badness

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Silhouette posted:

It looks like he's wearing camo cargo shorts, ready to jump in the pit at a Sepultura show.

kroots bloody kroots

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Dremel with a buffing tool

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

JackMann posted:

I need some diorama advice.

My Christmas project this year is a recreation of the last ghostly scene of A Christmas Carol, with a techpriest taking the role of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, and an Elminster-looking wizard as Ebenezer. I intend to have them staring at a grave, but I thought it might be good to have it open. That is, a small pit in the diorama. I'm not sure how to do that, though. I normally just use a bit of greenstuff, sand, or flocking on my bases. I'm not sure how to have it deep enough to have an actual hole in it. Seems like that would be a lot of greenstuff. I was thinking I might take two large bases, suspend one over the other with some small wooden supports, and make a cardboard mistakearound it. Then cut a hole in the top one down to the bottom one. Any thoughts on that?

Do it with a dreadnought instead of a grave

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

A small piece of tissue or toilet paper put in between the contact points also works in a pinch

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

DeadGame posted:

How do you get a citadel glaze to apply evenly over a flat surface?

Make sure you only have a little bit of glaze on your brush and ensure you aren't flooding the area like you would with a wash. If you see ride marks in the glaze use a wet brush to feather it out while the paint is still wet

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Painted this beastmen herd army up for KoW over 2 weeks recently. Picked up 2 Beastmen battalion boxes for half price and filled out a few more units with random kits lying around.

(Spirit walkers)

(Tribal long horns)

(Tribal hunters and tribal spears)

(Shaman, totem bearer and chieftain)

(chieften on chariot)

(Stampede)

(Gargoyles and beast pack)

(Brutox)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I used to live in the tropics and never had an issue with high humidity or priming when it is raining. Test on some sprue then go wild. Obviously don't stand in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

dr_ether posted:

Finished the Kingdom Death Dragon King.

The Dragon King and Phoenix

The Dragon King looms over his sacrifice and a band of survivors.

A Visionary confronts the Dragon King

Kingdom Death, having run out of cheesecake ideas, turns to goatse for inspiration.