Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Winklebottom posted:

Painted a dire pigeon to go with the living statues

Needs bird poo poo all over him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have a quick and relatively painless way of how to sculpt a slouch hat onto a head? Want to do it for a conversion idea but no idea how to pull it off due to bad experience with green stuff sculpting.

Not really but Victoria Miniatures just released a slouch hat pack and have heads with slouch hats.

https://victoriaminiatures.com/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage&q=Slouch

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I can vouch for apothecary white, skeleton horde, volopous pink, gyphhound charger, and black templar.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Do not use a tooth pick. The point of a decent size 1 brush will be smaller and can actually hold paint.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Anyone have good examples of blue - purple - pink gradients? I've been trying to do it with drybrushing, but it's not looking how I want.

Has anyone had any trouble with Scale 75's customer service? I was missing a paint in my order and they're denying it. It took them two of my emails to respond, and the second one they said they'd already responded to the first and - oh yeah - I must have thrown out the missing paint. They didn't send the email, and I didn't throw anything out. Now I've got four other paints I just won't use because I'm not giving them money for more when I run out.

I've been messing around with this and getting OK outcomes with glaze medium. Base coat with the lightest colour. With darker colour, Mix it 50/50 with glaze medium and do a poo poo load of thin coat and build the gradient that way.

Not the exact colours in this picture, but I have been messing with purple and green as well as yellow, red and pink. Will post more pictures soon

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEvCBOMBZrk/?igshid=ytapekqi0sk

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Chiwie posted:

Playing with some lamenter schemes at the moment and I think this is a winner. Still have no idea how to do the checks though.

forgo neatness and lean into the grim dark

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ZQPLHlYs8/?igshid=1ore8gidzcda

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

orks don't actually sweat, they have to yell waaaagh to regulate their temperature

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

been painting a fair bit but posting images to dead forums is hard. here's a red period inspired blood Angel

I post dolls on my instagram like this Emperors Children bloke

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF3v5jxlp0c/?igshid=5lmlvfaoajy5

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I let my 4.5 yr old go wild on lovely 3rd Ed dark eldar warrior's and old mangled space marines. she really enjoys helping dry brushing and applying washes to terrain pieces. just let them use whatever paint they want. she probably gets the most enjoyment out of mixing different colours. don't over think letting your kids participate, they will be happy to use whatever you put under their nose.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Eej posted:

A quick google suggests you want to look for something like this

Yeah I use rustoleum 2x it's real good

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

first models for 2021 are my dark oath warbands for Underworlds (forget their name already lol)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJu8hsPHAll/?igshid=xchn24x7js37

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

mccnaol posted:

Finished my Halfling Blood bowl team last night. They where really fun to paint. Can't wait to get a chance to play with them.

please tell me the pastie and sandwiches come with them standard and aren't third party or something

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

How do (lazy) people do yellow on their minis? I have some goblins that I primed grey, and my army painter daemonic yellow looks like total poo poo on test parts, even after two coats. Since I'm doing up to forty of them, I'd prefer to not do 3-5 coats per dude. I should note I am very lazy and 99% of my models just have a single (layer of) basecoats, details, and one wash, no highlights, blending, or dry brushing. I know this doesn't get amazing results, but I find them fine for tabletop quality, and I prefer to have lots of dudes than really nice ones. Is there a yellow paint "strong" enough to make do with one coat, or should I just use a different colour?

edit: I also tried it over some other bits I had primed white, but I found it still didn't look good

prime light flesh colour (kislev flesh equivalent) , then paint on yellow ink. one coat of yellow ink will do the trick. I'm pretty sure Vallejo offer a flesh colour spray paint. no airbrush required. I used to do this trick when I was 14, so it should be approachable.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

bought a 2nd Ed sw army, here's my test blood claws

I post my poo poo on instagram if that's your jam

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKN-xGVHKD6/?igshid=rzkumnwvky54

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

that's a kit bash. imperial guard commissar, possibly skitarii left arm and pistol, empire plastic head (hand gunner or greatsword?)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

I was referring to the hat. :v: Sorry for not making that clear as that's my own kitbash.
But you were 95% correct, the pistol is from the Serberys Raiders

LOL i thought you should have known better than that

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I am 99% convinced that Brent front Goobertown is a Mike Judge character

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

So I decided to give Goobertown another try after reading a few goons mention him earlier in this thread and because a video of his popped up in my suggested

Serious questions: Is the voice and tonality he's using somekind of schtick? If so, then what the hell? If not, then what the hell??

I couldn't watch the entire video without muting it.

The first time I watched him I just couldn't handle it and my ex was visibly disturbed by him but he is a very earnest and good boy and has grown on me immensely. also those terrible paintings of his cats proudly on display is spot on. I'm not even a hug fan of cats.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I've painted like 3 tyranid armies and 2 space hulk sets and they can be very easy to pump out quickly with nice results, even with lots of gants/gaunts/Genestealers.

the textures lend themselves well to washes/contrast paint and dry brushing. they don't have endless cables/pouches/straps and the weapons are painted the same as the fleshy bits and carapace. this also means you don't spend much time going back and painting things you missed.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

making and painting old school banners is a lotta fun.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

How many of you painting goons post things from here on Instaham?

I recently started a public mini painting only account and I'd like to follow you guys.

I only post occasionally in this thread, but here is my insta. slowly working through some 2nd ed space wolves. I also don't know how to link to my profile so here is a single post

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPYruQBK4m/?utm_medium=copy_link

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

paint the reflections obviously

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

There's a local guy painting some Genestealer Cult and doing varied skin tones. He asked me for help on doing the genestealer-tinted skin with an African skin tone. Any tips? Normally my go-to for shading dark skin is already a purple wash so we're having trouble thinking of how to make it apparent they're a normal person but shifted slightly to purple from the genestealer shenanigans.

I would try using purple grey highlights over a base coat of dark brown red with a black wash.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I was watching Vince's video about filling gaps with varnish -- anyone know if it works with a spray can varnish?

I've finished assembling my Cygnar Stormwall colossal and it has really ugly seams going down each of its limbs from where the two halves join. Don't really want to spend a while hand brushing over the whole dang thing :p

you could decant the spray matt varnish and give it a go. don't use any nice brushes for this, you would need to clean them in turps or white spirit or just discard them

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

love your necromunda dudes and dudettes, so moody and suit the setting perfectly

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

need a black tempalr brutally murdering the baby jesus

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

a mate who ordered his got it in 3 days.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Printed and painted up one of Fabelzel's 4th ed styled Chaos Dwarfs. They've absolutely nailed the aesthetic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfvAozAh3vv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 8, 2022

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjud2qjBxzn/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

kitbashed a pit slave or some kind of mechanicus bodyguard

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Decided to call Battle Brother Fireri of the Fire Lords Chapter finished:

One more Deathwatch Heavy Intercessor and I'll have a full 5 man combat squad! :woop:

It's been a real treat watching you piece this army together here and on instagram

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

most of the pommy warhammer painters on YouTube are much more watchable than the seppos. below are my reviews (not exhaustive) - no, I am not a nutjob

Vince - always gas a big titty angel on his pc during his intros. has big sexually repressed catholic vibes and him holding court with his nimrod aos mates for his podcast is painful. like an inverse stoner older brother impressing his younger sibling's friends. Decent tutorials but he comes off as condescending.

Dana howl - had interesting videos doing different things that I would regularly watch but she pivoted to being a Speed Paints shill. paint reactivation is good, don't cha know?

Midwinter minis - one of the most punchable faces on YouTube and is weirdly popular.

Pete the wargamer - love the kitbashing and he is a good boy.

Cult of paint - different painting styles from different painters, no gimmicks and the culture of paint discussions are interesting and good to listen to while painting

miniac- lol what a fuckwit

ninjon - skip the first minute, OK videos that would be better without the skits and click bait titles. All his 'painting journey' talk feels like weight loss ads or a year 9 book report or something.

Marco - superb videos, explains concepts well and my gf always laughs at his accent

Richard Gray - also superb and has some interesting techniques. he gets to be referenced a lot by other painters but doesn't have a massive profile.

Duncan - would like to have a beer with him

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

slap chop isn't really ideal for marines with smooth, flat, uninterrupted surfaces. chaos marines and custodes won't be bad but primaris marines won't look to great.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Test model for my arbites and some of my recently finished Gallowdark terrain

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

First time having this big of an issue just priming. The rattlecan was on its last legs but I’ve used one to the end before without issue. The main thing I changed was having them lined up two deep taped to a cardboard box. Was that too many to prime at once? Was it too hot maybe? Easily in the 90sF (33-36C) here constantly, especially during the driest part of the day when the humidity actually goes down to 60%. Maybe I’m only meant to prime in the winter.

Is this salvageable? Or do I need to strip the worst ones?

Its a crap shoot, but I have had luck with using a stiff bristled toothbrush to take off the fuzz. doesn't work all the time, if it is still furry./bumpy after just strip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been putting some transfers on my Thousand Sons by brushing some Pledge in place of Ardcoat or similar first for adhesion. Got them on okay, but the shoulder is noticeably glossier than the rest of the mini. So a few things:

Will things even out if I spray a matt varnish over the whole thing? I guess Ardcoat or a cheaper alternative from another brand.

If I elect to make the whole thing glossy, which may be no bad thing as it's metallic, can I run Pledge through an airbrush okay? Dunno if I should mask the tabards or maybe just brush it on.

What's a good alternative to GW Ardcoat? And will a matt finish look right on metallics?

I would recommend doing another coat of pledge to even out the edges of the transfer so they appear to sit flush with the model and to make sure it is fully adhered, then spraying with matt varnish. I've had instances where I have applied gloss/pledge, applied then transfer then sprayed matt varnish and the transfer has come partially/fully off the model, or the solvent from the tin of varnish has melted parts of the transfer. Case in point: