Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

After wanting to get into this for a while, I finally broke down and got some ork boyz. First 3 are painted. I messed up and got agrax earthshade GLOSS wash for the middle one so now he looks perpetually wet.
The wife and kids think I've lost my mind, but I'm really enjoying it. Still trying to convince her to pick up a necron army, unsuccessfully so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That's good to know. I liked the color of agrax more than the nuln oil the other 2 have but I was worried about the shininess. I'll find some matte varnish to hit them with after I finish the rest. There are a few colors I'm still missing and need to pick up anyway.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

yum posted:

Finished the squad of grots and deff dread. Still gotta finish the base of the dread and I’ll probably come back and redo the eye lens but it’s more or less finished. Next up: 10 more ork boyz and a warboss

These look fantastic. I just finished painting my first ork boy squad.
Not done the basing yet and I still need to put a matte clear coat on but that will have to wait because I bought the 'start collecting!' box and I'm having to much fun building the deff dread. Stupid question- are ammo runts the same size as regular grots? One came with the set and haven't seen the grots in person yet.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Do you have any leftover bits you could use as a big Texas sized belt buckle? Maybe the embossing on a shield that could be cut out to a more appropriate size.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I've also been doing orks with an orange theme. I'm using wraithbone as the base and doing lots of thin layers of trollslayer orange. Its tedious but it does end up looking very construction worker orange.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

It is weird. Orange seems like it should be a perfectly orky color.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

As someone new to this hobby I've got to say Snikrot and his kommandos have been a pain to clean up. Such terrible spots for the sprus to connect, pieces that don't line up, and tiny little bubbles in the surface.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Speaking of kids painting miniatures I got a bunch of random cheap goblins and skeletons from reaper to let my youngest paint while I do my orks. Something like 4bucks for 3 figures. She just uses regular craft paints and has a blast.
Lots of really nice looking stuff the last few pages, so allow my 7 year old to bring the bar a little bit lower.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I agree, the lighter grey of the cloak looks good against the rest of the colors. I think similar clothes/armor but a lighter skintone on the goblin is the way to go.
The muzzle flash illuminated guys look fantastic, that's a super cool effect.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

So it all started when the wife wanted to paint one of the boyz

She was unhappy with using leadbelcher as a silver and went rummaging around in the craft drawers and found some enamel paint. Now I have a very shiny random deathskull in my army.
Then the older kid(15) wanted to paint some.

She kept with my orange theme but also dipped into the enamels a bit.
Then the younger(7) kid wanted to paint one of my guys, since everyone else was. I had previously kept her to painting other minis of her own.

Perfection! If this pandemic ever clears up and I actually get to play this army, I'm stealing this guy back.
And that is how I got all my boyz finished painting.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

First paint of the year, Primaris Captain from the indomitus box. Kind of playing around trying to settle on a color scheme/ chapter. I got the set mainly for the necrons so I didn't really have a plan for the marines. He was supposed to be an experiment with zenithal highlight and contrast paint but I think I didn't do enough white and the color of the contrast paint didn't show up on the black so I started over. Then I set him down to fix the kid a drink and when I came back the cat had pushed him off the desk and his little pointy bit on the top broke off.

Also I just bought an airbrush, supposed to come later this week. So I have that to look forward to.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Contrast paints

Thanks, that's kind of what I was guessing happened but it was first time messing with contrast paint so I messed up the prework. I'll give it another go after I get the air brush running.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I accidentally bought agrax earth shade gloss when I first bought my paints and didn't notice until I painted several guys and they were all super shiny. They all looked super wet. I used a matte clear acrylic medium to get them normal looking again.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I got an army painter brush because the handle was a little bit thicker but after about 2 weeks of moderate use the ferrule got loose where it connects to the wood. It would wobble about 10° off to either side. I recently ordered some broken toad bushes that just came in today. I do wish I could find a nice brush with a beefier handle as holding most brushes cramps my hands pretty quickly.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I finished a Tech-Priest Manipulus, pretty happy with how it turned out. It was my first admech guy. A lot more spindly bits than the orks.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with the monument hobby pro-acryl paints? They have a build your own paint set type deal but I don't know how the paint holds up.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I also get the black bands using my phone. I've tried diffusing the light through a few layers of tracing paper and it helped a little but they are still pretty noticeable. Are there any other tricks I could try to eliminate them while still using a phone camera? I'm pretty poo poo with photos so I don't really want to go down an expensive camera rabbit hole, but I'd like to at least get a little better.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Buying something new is an endorphin rush. Paints are tiny and relatively cheap, perfect fodder. Also having a shelf with a set of uniform paints is really satisfying visually. All the cool youtubers have them so it seems like the thing to do. But realistically it doesn't make sense, especially for a beginner.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That is a pretty cool competition. Looks really good given your rather garish color palette.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Agreed, those look great. I'm so close to finishing mine up but I keep getting derailed.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I use metal toothpicks and some clay carving tools. For the gw pots give them a quick knock upside down one the table before you open it and you'll get plenty in the lid for easy extraction. As for alternatives, I'm liking the texture paste from monument hobbies.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

As for the pro acryl paints from monument hobbies they have a thing where you get a little discount if you buy I think 8 or more paints at a time. So you can create your own set with colors that you know you want. So far I've been pretty happy with the ones that I've used.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Gnoll posted:

Did my first attempt at painting a miniature today. Not great but it's a start.

A fine looking boy indeed.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That looks great. The oils really made it pop.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Well sorry about your kids and all, but that guy looks amazing. Great work.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Leadbelcher in my experience is also pretty chunky, but for metallics 'Vallejo model air metallic' worked really well for me and I'm an airbrush idiot.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I've been thinking about this too. I also have a laptop at my paint desk and think I've decided on a longer narrow table. I'd like to have the laptop and the 3d printer on the table as well as a vertical rack mounted to the wall for paint storage. Ideally these would all be in a row so I could just scoot over to access the different areas. I'd like it to be mostly open underneath so I could use stacking storage boxes for various things I don't need out all the time.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

The only thing I don't like about the tertial light is the switch location, it's on the cord. I found one on Amazon that was basically the same thing but had the switch on the back of the lamp. I do have mine mounted at the front of the desk though and it works fine. I find it's better than mounting it at the back of your desk is doubling as a computer desk, it's less in the way. I actually drilled a hole in the desk and stuck the peg directly in rather than deal with the clamp.

^^yes that's the one I have. 3rd reason it's better is the switch.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Well they look fantastic, eyes on not.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

They look great, looking forward to seeing the photo shoot.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That's fantastic

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Well I think they are great.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Well my years tally was 8 chaos cultists of the abyss, the chaos legionnaires kill team, aeldari Corsair kill team, tau pathfinder kill team, kroot farstalker kill team, a necron compendium kill team, 1 Kellermorph, 1 old metal rogue trader ork, 1 3d printed kenku, 1 3d printed goblin, and 1 elven Archer. That's 53 total, not bad considering I took several long breaks throughout the year. I also have the navis kill team, hunter clade kill team, a skaven warcry warband, and a few other random 1offs half done sitting on my desk taunting me.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I might also have been bit by the kill team bug. At this point I have more painted teams than games played. But I enjoy the variety of painting one squad of guys and then moving on to the next.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Your weird little guys are quite fantastic, please continue sharing them.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Those walls look super nice. I keep putting mine off, not wanting to commit.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Love the folks dancing on the beam in the foreground light

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Those necrons are great. Fantastic colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

The metal wire is actually hollow, in theory the glue comes out if you squeeze it but it is a rather terrible design.

As for paint kits I've found I just don't end up using all the colors in preselected packs. However, If you buy online from monument hobbies you do get a discount for buying 8 or more paints. So you can build your own starter kit with only paints you actually want.