Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Let's keep this train rolling, I finally picked up my drat brushes again after a few months off and cranked out some guild ball models (Wrecker, Veteran Harmony, and Granite from the Masons).

e: bases not final, still need a drybrush and turf, just didn't have my grass with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Pure luck, I assure you.

e: on a less snarky note, process is the same as you hear everywhere, basecoat the face, black out the eyeballs, paint a bit of off-white (VMC Ivory in this case) leaving a little bit of black around the rims if you can, dot pupils. Just need a sharp brush, I did that using a Raphael 8404 #0, which is the brush I use for most super fine detail stuff. Other than that, it's a matter of steady hands and having the chill to not immediately panic when you gently caress up, because (as in the case of Harmony up there), sometimes it turns out that your mistake looks better than what you were trying to do.

stabbington fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

That's the one people recommend, and definitely the one formerly known as Future, but I have no personal experience with it and can't tell you whether it's a good idea or not. I will say that most of the references I've seen tend to assume that you're airbrushing it on, I have no idea how it behaves just being slopped on with a brush.

E: I'm bad at reading, you are airbrushing. If that's the case, you prooobably don't need to wait on the weather unless your workspace is extremely humid.

stabbington fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 18, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Working on a Kanren for Infinity as a color scheme test, still need to do the NMM (gold on the belt/neck ornament/coat border/sword hilt/decorations, some steel on the gun) and clean stuff up. Not sure how happy I am with the red right now, I think I'm going to have to shade it more into the purple range to really tie everything together. Shading everywhere else needs some work too, I think, the contrast isn't quite where I want it to be.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Finished that Kanren, pretty happy with it overall. Definitely kind of messy as a result of being a color test, the glowy bits went through like four different colors before I just gave up and made them bright gently caress-off green. The NMM is also kind of janky because I've had basically no practice at it, but such is life, forcing myself to do it on a bunch of models is the best way to get better at it. Very happy with the way the face turned out, it's slightly less orange than the pictures portray, squarely in the "moderately realistic southeast asian skintone" box. I went in wanting the turquoise to be slightly more green and the red with slightly more blue to it, but I can't say I'm unhappy with where I landed. Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing with the more heavily armored models in the faction.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Another WIP for my ISS stuff, this time a Crane Rank. After I took this picture, I went back and took care of the mold line on the hair thingy, don't worry. Getting the hang of NMM gold, just using VMC Japanese Uniform, black, and white seems to be working pretty well. Still working out a lot of stuff, the turquoise and red still need a fair amount of work, I think. Smooth blends take work, and getting highlights in the right place is a real pain in the rear end on the complicated surfaces on this thing. Need to add a flashlight to my toolkit so I can do some real harsh point lighting for reference.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

I've been on a big kick painting my Yu Jing Imperial Service for a local Infinity league, and finished up the promo version of the Crane Rank a few days ago. Really happy with how this guy turned out, I'm getting a lot better at non-metallic gold.

Sorry about the crap pictures, there's only so much you can do with fluorescent lighting, a cell phone, and a sheet of paper. Once I finish more of the army I'll take the time to reshoot it with my good setup.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Crossposting my Infinity Yu Jing project from the game's thread, I've been slowly working out how I want to paint these for a couple months now, teaching myself how to do non-metallic metal in the process. Very happy with my progress so far.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

lokipunk posted:

First attempt at non-metalic metal. This is by no means the finished product but I've mostly been a "basecoat, dip, highlight" guy so this is way out of my comfort zone. Any tips/help? I feel like it is turning out chalky, which is not a problem I've had with valejo paints.

You're certainly headed in the right direction. In terms of materials problems, you've got a little bit of chalkiness happening, but the majority of the problem that I see is actually paint tearing, especially on the legs. That happens when you try to paint over a layer that's set up but isn't completely dry yet, so you should either be working faster and wet-blending, or slow it down and stick to the layered approach you're using now. The poster that recommended a handle of some sort to mount your model on is also dead on, that'll help you reduce the paint that rubs off as you handle the thing, and give you better control of how you hold it in general. If you use a pill bottle for a handle, I recommend filling it halfway with some sort of weight (coins, sand, whatever dense thing you happen to have lying around) to keep it bottom-heavy and less likely to tip over at the drop of a hat.

In terms of the actual execution of the NMM, the biggest issue that I'm seeing is that your bright highlights are a little too big, and your shadows aren't dark enough to make the highlights really pop. I really like this Ben Komets video on non-metallic gold as a pretty easy to understand visual reference for what I'm talking about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE

As I said, though, you're off to a good start, and some more work put into it will absolutely yield a pleasing result.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

The really nice thing about better brushes like the Series 7s and Raphael 8404s of the world is that the bigger brushes (1s and 2s) will hold a point that's fine enough for everything up to and possibly including eyeballs depending on the steadiness of your hand. This means you get to use a brush with a larger capacity for paint, which in turns means that it tends to keep flowing off the brush well for a much longer period of time. I do the overwhelming majority of my work with a #2 Series 7, and only rarely do I reach for the #1 or #0.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Sharp/mechanical pencil, draw an X, drill at the cross. Just a matter of finding something that’ll show up on the plastic.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

a block of wood or a wine cork with some double sided tape on it is your cheapest solution.

A good solution that doesn't require much building is the GW one

https://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Outi...20529223&sr=8-1

If you take medication, a pill bottle (2/3rds full of fishing weights or quarters or whatever just to give it some weight to protect from accidental jostling) and some poster tac can also work quite nicely, and if you happen to accumulate a bunch the same size, the interchangeable caps can make it easy to assembly line stuff.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Your best bet would probably be a transparent iridescent pigment, color shift paint, or interference paint of some sort over a very smooth gloss black surface. Very thin layers of pearlizing medium through an airbrush is how I've seen it done in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I’m painting old school greenskins and fighting the urge to paint goblin green base rims.

Pray for me, brothers

just do it. feels good, imo