Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The one tip I do have though: If you try to get a drop of paint and nothing comes out (or you get very little), don't try to force it. Use a toothpick or pin to clear the nozzle.

If you try to force it there's a good chance you'll blow the top off and spill half your paint.

I had that happen enough as a child doing arts and crafts that I do that exact thing when something is clogged. I was so mad I got glue over my project that I never forget to check if there is tension when gluing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it just me or does anyone else like collecting paint? I look at some tutorials online and they want something specific, I go, oh, I don't have that, I should buy some more. I most likely don't need it, but, if I want to follow along with the tutorial I watched....

I suppose I can just mix but it feels better to simply have the color

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

some WIP

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

How did you get the green crackle so clean? Green first, then crackle paint over it with the pigment already mixed?

Waited for the paint to dry before putting the Mordant Earth on, then just kind of loaded it on there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dienes posted:

No varnish on the green paint beforehand?

It looks so sick, in a good way.

no, I didn't think of that honestly.... maybe next go around

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my first unit (technically this is my "third" unit, but the other two I didn't base yet), how did I do?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Very awesome. Nice edge highlights on the green crystals on the base. The green weapon effect is also cool. Next step to elevate your game would be some sort of shading (a wash for example) and then some highlights on things like blade edges and other sharp or upward facing surfaces that would catch light and/or are something you want to draw the eye to.

Oh I didn't even think of that on the edge, I was just thinking some Blood for the Blood god paint would be good on the staff as if he had smacked someone with it

technically, since I haven't varnished it I can add some more details....

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

edge highlights are hard

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Also don't be afraid to go back over the jagged edge highlights with your original base coat to clean them up. I think that's a pro tip.

That was the plan actually. I'll look into thinner, I might have some, I've just been thinning it on the wet palette.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It can also help if you use the edge of a long-bristled brush rather than the tip. The tip can waver and make little random splotches, but the edge will give you a consistent line because it doesn't move as much.

You can't always get good angles for that, so having paint that's been thinned a bit also helps. You'll probably need multiple layers, but if you do make a mistake somewhere it'll be less visible because your mistakes probably won't be in the same place on each layer.

I found even with my 10/0 there just wasn't good angles/areas on this model for me to do that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Anyone have any resources on how to make reusable stencils for chapter insignias? I've been googling but found nothing.

Not to be snarky but to be snarky, why not print out the icon, then exacto out the shape and make your own stencil?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

to be snarky: try it and see how much bleeding you get

That's fair. I didn't consider that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've seen it in not as drastic examples

https://taleofpainters.com/2021/03/tutorial-how-to-paint-an-inverted-super-hot-plasma-glow/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

"Hey, at least I can piece together from translate and context, that's a good look, how do I-"
"apply Waaaagh Flesh using your airbrush"
"...oh"

One day I'll be somewhere I have the space, money, and mostly the ventilation (though the space is a more immediate blocker, the ventilation was the issue even when I did have space) to have one so 90% of online tutorials are even applicable.

More positive news: the final recovery rate for paints was 97/108 that either survived or couldn't be visually identified as defective, which I think is a pretty good rate. Now I just need the models I can afford to test on to arrive - I did dig out a few old characters I made for once I'm back in the swing of things though...

I'm in a similar situation, I just need to buy a spray booth, but, the spray booth is gonna take up like 50% of my desk at least, which is pretty frustrating. I'm constantly reworking my art space because of it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah gently caress that. You don't need an airbrush. Or hell, you don't even need to spray prime.

They're nice, sure. But you don't need it to paint well.

Naw, I didn't mean to paint well, I meant to save time XD

I mostly want it for better priming and doing some quicker base coating, maybe do some of that zenethal highlights and fake-OSL.

My problem is I'm in a studio, so every inch is accounted for.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is that from the Dark Souls game? Was thinking of getting that but it seemed like it'd be a pain to buy it + expansions

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

+1 for you dude

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

seeing someone use oil paints to do edge highlighting and grabbing a little sponge to feather the highlight out was a real :aaaaa: moment for me

That sounds really hard on a space marine size, maybe on a tank...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was following along with the painting suggestion for space wolves

I primed them all corax white, cause, that's what I have

it tells me base them in the fang, so, I do

it then says to use nuln oil, and then layer with fenrisian grey

Except, the models all over are fenrisian grey with no The Fang to be seen.

So shouldn't the instructions/suggestions be to prime in The Fang and then Fenrisian Grey and then Nuln Oil?

Now it looks like crap and at this point even thin layers are too many layers of paint, arghhh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I mean, it looks "wrong" to me like I hosed up, so I'm putting it aside for now while I work on other ones from the box.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think it looks really good. One suggestion is to thin the paint a bit more (and use another layer if necessary), since it looks like there are a couple of brush strokes visible. That is usually an indicator a slightly too thick paint. As far as the nuln oil goes, the general idea is to paint on top of it in the highest place, like leg/chest/arms etc, but leave it dark in the recesses, like between the fingers, under the knee caps, and so on.

I was having a hard time thinning the Fenrisian Grey adequately, honestly. It was so chunky even after shaking the poo poo out of it with a metal ball in the pot.

I really have to move away from citadel pots I think.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Here is the space wolves from GW. I saved a bunch of these when deciding on what to go with: https://youtu.be/3FAfm01AIVE

Unfortunately I already went throughout the start collecting box and based them all so far with abaddon black and the fang, then went over as light as I could as thin as I could with fenrisian grey :negative:

but yes that looks super easy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I try to make my minis at best as I can so I can take pretty photos of it and learn what works and what doesn't

I haven't touched some of my Etsy minis I've bought and primed because I'm afraid I'll not have enough experience to do them good enough justice. I don't particularly care if I gently caress up my Warhammer or Sigmar Minis because there's so much of them.

I also figure if I put my best foot forward on every unit I can, I'll be slower, but it'll help me learn better as well. That's what I tell myself anyways.

I'm constantly looking at other models and trying to figure out how they did what they did.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

paint the reflections obviously

This is so far past my skill level it must be magic

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Other than the basing, and a bit more work on the fur, I think these are done. What'cha think?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My other hobbies (of which most are probably middling interests...) are photography, guitar/ukulele/harmonica/drums/kalimba/jaw harp, drawing, video games, board game collecting, reading, blogging, writing. I also want to try and learn the bass, singing, harp, woodworking, learn Japanese, do 3D modeling again, and make music, produce, make a game, write a book, etc

I also help take care of ducks.

Anyone have more time in the day to do most of these while also working 50 hours a week and also wanting to exercise? I am way over budgeted on time.

I thought I did a decent job on this and wanted to show it off

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Absolutely beautiful, I'm jealous. I'm looking at the power sword on my first Sororitas and dreading trying something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245Xvr_LmdM

I tried following along with this, but I don't have vallejo inks, I realized after the fact, then put down temple guard blue as the basecoat, instead of thousand suns blue, and then realized I didn't have thousand suns blue and tried to approxmiate

took me like, easily half an hour or more on just the sword, the whole time I'm like "oh god this looks terrible, gently caress I'm trying to wet blend but it keeps drying on the model so fast, ugh it's not wet enough, don't put it on too thick, no that color mixture isn't the right combination, etc"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

The cost of resin printed models will forever make you question buying traditional models ever again. The files for a big theme of models is like $15 tops on Patreon, then you can print the whole batch for like $5

You can print half an army for a $50 bottle of resin on a $200 printer nowadays

If we're talking about armies though, no one seems to do anything in print for major factions tho

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Hey you guys, speaking of paints...

Go and enter this gargantuan GW paint range giveaway

You don't need to be subscribed to Warhammer+ for it.

Email your request to enter to GW at competitions@gwplc.com, with the subject line ‘Warhammer+ Competition’ and including your full name and location (state/region and country) in the main body of your email. No purchase necessary.

If you win, all I ask is that you send me some Martian Ironcrust texture paint because I'm running out.

Sent mine in, would be cool

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

It's a bit rough because I did too many layers trying to get the colors to come out the way I wanted, but now that I've got the first one done the rest should come out nicer.

Is that you Hugh?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

Either that's a quote I don't get, or you have mistaken me for someone else.

I was mostly saying whatever that is looks kinda Borg-y

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally, I can be done with these

It's not perfect, and there's parts I'm not satisfied with, at least they're 99% done and I can move on to other minis instead of constantly staring at these and not being able to work on anything else. (I know some of them are probably wearing illegal equipment combinations but I don't particularly give a poo poo, since this 8th Ed get started box was a gift, and I didn't buy it, and probably wont ever use them in a tournament or w/e)

These are the...4-17th minis I've ever painted, not in any particular order per se.

The blue was really loving hard for me, and some of the angles for the edge highlights was also very hard.

I think I want to work on Fallout: Wasteland Warfare next...I got the core set for my birthday months ago and never got farther than priming them, and it'd be a welcome change of pace.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 21, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Still need to finish the base, but I think this guy is done otherwise

citadel paints unless specified: caliban green, kantor blue, catachan flesh, bloodreaver flesh, Vallejo flat green, agrax earthshade, nuln oil, karak stone, dawnstone, averland sunset, leadbelcher, temple guard blue, knight-questor flesh, stormhost silver, abaddon black, Vallejo Foul green

I gotta think of a way to get the same effect but maybe do like, 10 paints instead of 15....I could probably cut dawnstone out I guess, and maybe even leadbelcher

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 28, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wrr posted:

So I tried making some mini carrying cases using magnetized bases and magnetic sheets a la the Duncan Rhodes Video on making a case, and the magnetic sheets I got are hot garage. They can stick to a fridge but thats it. I can't even feel them with my magnetic implants.

Anyone tried out making a travel case like this before, or know of decent strong magnetic strips?

I just superglued some galvanized steel to the bottom of a clear plastic shoebox, and glued the magnets to the bottom of the base (easier when the bases are raised like with wargames. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for my D&D minis that have a flat base....

Now that I think of it, I could just buy some basic larger bases from aliexpress, which do have a hollow bottom, and use those for the D&D minis instead. I tend to like larger minis anyways, so that might work.

Oh, 1 neo magnet is fine for these sized minis, but for larger ones (like Space Wolves' Thunderwolves, you'll need two neo magnets, because of their weight.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking into learning more about Weathering and so on, anything you guys suggest?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

how dk i stop MDF bases from being warped by pva glue?

Would priming them beforehand help? I suppose that would invalidate the pva glue, depending on what you were doing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DevCore posted:

Does anyone here know of someone I could commission to paint a Blood Bowl team?

I got the new box set and I'd like to get them painted to look like the official finished pieces.

Would like to spend $150-$200 tops.

The official finished pieces are done by top tier artists that absolutely know their salt, that even popular youtubers who can emulate their work very well have difficulty matching exactly. Furthermore, when I've seen them do so, it takes them several hours for one piece.

Let me put it into math for you, each of those models probably takes 3-5 hours. Minimum Federal Wage in USA is 7.25. That's at least 48-80 hours of work for 16 miniatures, which I assume is the size of a bloodbowl team based on google. That's $350-580 minimum.

Even if we assume someone might charge something more reasonable to a standard of living, say, around $15 an hour, and we assume it only took them 3 hours per model to match the box art, that's STILL $780.

Honestly to get the box art painted for you, a more realistic number worth the artist's time is probably at $20-25 an hour, which is about $1600-2000.

edit: I also want to add, 3-5 hours is a guess. I know some pro artists on youtube have spent upwards of 15-20 hours on a single model, especially when you have to account time spent for planning and whatever else happens.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 7, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's really not that hard, honestly. The "hardest" part is finding the time and not creating a wall of grey for yourself of interesting models you want to paint.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Counterpoint: it's actually really hard, the models are all very VERY small, but you are big in comparison, so it's easy to make mistakes :(

Your mistakes are just weathering! The model was always meant to come out like that.

Model comes out poorly? Clearly you just bought the wrong model and must buy more and try again, with a model that has better juju :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love running a wash all over the model.

Though that's probably because it means all the base coating has been completed which feels like 90% of the time investment.