Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Posting because this is literally so good my eyes are bleeding. Another from Dave Soper and most likely the slayer sword 2015 winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Probably my favourite thing on that, aside from the colour pallet, is the repeated use of baking soda to do all sorts of things from rust to algae. If you're interested in how it was made, part one starts here: http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/project-nurgle-part-1-gutrot-spume.html

An excellent series of posts on how you make a golden demon winner. 300 hours went into that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure he spent longer one one single tentacle than I have on any single mini.

He paints in a really interesting way. Almost all of that mini is done with glazes and then final edge highlights. Its a level of skill I just cant fathom.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

It's basically thinking "down" rather than "up" with placement of layers. You're working from a light base and then down, applying thinned paint in select locations. I've been experimenting with it lately on some personal projects and I like how it's coming out for stuff like skin tones and worn, old metal. Clothing, not so much, but with enough practice I think I'll get the hang of it.

I've tried painting like that in the past and I just dont click with it. Recently i've been moving more towards starting from a midtone and working up and then glazing the shadows in and I really like the results there, but when i've tried to do pure glaze style painting its come out rather ragged.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PantsOptional posted:

Painting up a silver portion of a mini and I don't really want the dingy effect you sometimes get with a black ink - I want this to be a little brighter and shinier, like it was newer and more polished. Will inking it with blue instead make it look terrible? My thought is that it might lose some of the depth you get with a black ink, but I could very easily be wrong. (Maybe a mix of purple and blue might be a better idea?)

Wash with black, repaint silver parts avoiding recesses, glaze with blue on the top half, repaint brightest parts silver again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Krushgroove, with your ghetto bathroom fan extraction make sure not to use alcohol based paints as it might cause a bit of a spark.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

signalnoise posted:

What if I want it to look right from any angle?

It wont unless you have the light source directly overhead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mugaaz posted:

What's the trick for blending incredibly contrasting colors very quickly? Like when you see small armor plates going from crimson red to jet black. I can do this using several intermediate colors over a larger plate. I can't get it to look right at all when it's done within a few mm.

Lots of very thin glazes. Builds the colour up gradually.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

grassy gnoll posted:

Here's a dumb question I should have asked earlier. I'm assembling a bunch of lead minis - actual factual lead, not white metal - and I'm having to trim and file them to get them to fit together. Should I be wearing a mask when I scrape at this stuff, or is it sufficiently heavy that even lead dust won't float up?

Related question, what's the best way to get all this lead off my files?

Are you putting the models in your mouth for hours at a time? If the answer is yes, you have a problem. If the answer is no, you have nothing to fear over working with a handful of lead models.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Zark the Damned posted:

You can also employ the wash n wipe strategy of giving the model a thinned wash then wiping off the topmost layer on the panels etc. with a bit of tissue.

Can leave ugly tide marks if not done quick enough.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

The trick there is to paint over the tape with the base colour first, then any spillage underneath is in the base colour, and therefore less detectable and easier to clean up, and none of the stripe colour goes under because the base colour seals it.

I'm sat here wondering why that had never occurred to me before.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Geisladisk posted:

Maybe a strange question - But how do I get good at painting? :downs:

I've been painting off and on (mostly off) for 15 years or so, and although I consistently knock out okay miniatures of a decent tabletop quality, they're just not.. great. I feel like I've plateaued completely for the past few years.

The problem is that I don't really know where to begin if I want to improve. When I want to consciously practice my instrument, for instance, I can always find some technique that I can learn or improve on. With painting, I don't even know what I can do to improve. My results just aren't that good, but I don't know how to fix it.

I started looking at models I really liked the paint jobs on and either tried to directly paint something like that or at least take one of the things on that model I really liked (Very nice blended power weapon/rust effect/nmm) etc and did that on my next model. I went through a phase of trying something new on everything I painted and I think that honestly helped me more than painting lots.

Also the abject refusal to ever scrap anything halfway through and throw it in the paint stripper.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Back to the subject of pinning, I think I realized the solution to my problem of pinning really tiny poo poo: guitar strings. They're easy to get, really narrow (I have as small as 0.009" lying around), and made of spring steel, which should be plenty durable for a short pin. Now I just need to learn to be sufficiently precise with drilling.

I drill one hole, stick a small pin in it that just about peeks out of the hole (enough to grab and take out again), whack some paint on the end and then press the bits together, then drill the other piece where the paint mark is. Works out pretty well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

So I want to display a single miniature I painted. Is there a good sort of miniature display box I could use for this? I know a dice cube works, but they always have that injection part on the top and they look kinda tacky. He's just a dude on a 25mm base but I might want to expand the base a little bit so it can look like more of a display piece when it's not on the table.

Context: I painted a mini for my dad last year and he has it on display in his office by putting it in an upturned jar and I want to show it off with something nicer.

You can get a solar powered jewelry turn table off ebay for about £4.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Anyone know where this model is from?

Its a Kabuki models Corax I think. Doesn't seem to be available anymore.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I haven't so much as touched a brush in 8 months. I think I'll try something this weekend though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

You tempted by Corax? I can't be hosed painting that much black

I have some ideas for how I'd paint him, but i'm just not enthused about it. Perturabo has sat undercoated on a shelf since I got him in May. The last 2 primarchs have just been a bit uninspiring.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just bin it and buy new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm just getting back into painting again and literally all my poo poo is dead after so long in storage. Is there a decent starter Vallejo model color set out there? I've had a brief look and they're all tied to various ww2 camo patterns etc whereas i'm after a more comprehensive range.