Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
CA glue or white glue for gluing flock to bases? If white, should it be watered down?

I used watered down Elmer's for the sand and rocks on the base, and then another layer of thinned Elmer's to seal it but I want to add some flock to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I'm painting some figures from the World of Warcraft board game to practice on figures I don't care about. I've watched a bunch of the Painting Clinic videos and I'm essentially following Faust's skin layering tutorial on some ogres. It's painful because there really isn't a lot of detail on these minis. But I'm going to do a few like his tutorial so I can practice layering (have only painted a handful of minis so far, ever).

Once I burn out... is there a fast(er) way to paint low detail board game minis? I'm guessing base color, wash, touchup with base color, highlight color.

Does a wash work on something like an ogre's belly that is rounded and doesn't have definition (muscles)?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Put something in your paint pot as an agitator.

Yeah seconding this. I bought some glass beads at Michael's (I think 8mm?) to use as agitators for my GW and Vallejo paints. They were in the bead jewelry aisle, and came like 18 in a strand for a couple bucks.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I found some trays at Michaels that are meant to hold markers upright but can hold Vallejo/Reaper paints if they're upside-down. Will I have any problems if I store these upside-down?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Can someone explain alternating brush strokes? Some Googling for a tutorial or explanation hasn't brought up anything.

Does it mean stroking left-right-left-right for example when laying down a base coat?

Or something like a perpendicular change: side-to-side for first coat, up-down for second coat?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Brushes question - what type of brush is your workhorse? I have rounds, which I thought was the recommended type to start with. However the Winsor Series 7 (especially my size 2) are less pointed when loaded with paint and more bulbous? Kind of like an onion; there’s a point but it quickly swells before tapering again.

Should I have picked up an S7 pointed? I think I’ve seen a couple vids of people using angled flat brushes too.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I’m moving from Michigan to Japan for a 3 year work contract. Anyone have any experience with moving your hobby stuff across the ocean? My thoughts are to put my paint in ziplocks and throw some desiccant packets in there in case sea air leaks through (my stuff is being shipped by boat).

Also, anyone have any recommendations on hobby stores in Yokohama? Or Tokyo?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I also am not confident in my ability to thin properly, so I picked up a few Vallejo Air paints so I could play with them and learn their consistency.

Assume my brush is DRY (or I guess slightly wet) - would straight Vallejo Air paint be good for layering? Or is it good for basecoats and still needs a tad thinned for layers?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Felime posted:

VMA steel is amazing for example. Most of the vma metallics I've tried have been.

But I haven't tried the scale75 paints.

I like all of the VMA metallics that aren’t coppery/brassy. All of my bottles have always had the pigments/flakes collect into a huge wad at the bottom. No amount of shaking, stirring, or gentle warming in water can fix it. I can still get some limited use; it’ll be very thin and require multiple coats but eventually I’ll get something covered.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I started playing with Les Bursley washes over the weekend. Previously I had only ever used Citadel. Les’s are definitely different; I imagine the Les recipe is more like a glaze? They definitely tint the areas around, but certainly concentrate pigment in recesses as well. I haven’t done much glaze work yet, so I don’t know what those feel like.

For anyone that has used both: am I accurate? Is the Les recipe more like a glaze than Citadel washes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

The One-Two Punch posted:

Against my better judgement I have agreed to paint some Reaper Bones orcs. Anyone have suggestions? I’ve read horror stories about the way it sheds primer and paint.

I use stynylrez primers on Bones without any issue.