Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Plastic "for sale" signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

Fine don't play!

It's vinyl flooring roll left over from when we had the kitchen redone recently!

Can I see a pic of the other side?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

No i'm doing another layer of sand/gravel and the PVA is drying, the other side is the other two pictures I posted

I'm wondering what the weird "barn door bracing" is under the gravel.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Should I be thinning vallejo surface primer or can I just go straight into an airbrush with it?

No thinning required

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

If you are at Gencon and don't stop by the Badger booth for 80+ bottles of paint for $100, you are insane. That is all.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Floppychop posted:

So I picked one each of Vallejo's Gloss, Satin, and Matte varnishes with the intent of using them with my airbrush.

Any tips so I don't gently caress up the paint jobs?

Edit: My end goal with the varnish is simply protecting the paint.

Use think coats. Drips of sealant suck.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Using thin coats, how long do I need to give for drying time between coats?

Acrylic paint dries in less than a minute for me, but I don't know how long the varnish will take.

It depends on your varnish, but leave it until you think it's dry, and then wait %50 longer.

The answer is I don't know, but I'd wait longer than necessary rather than gently caress up any of my paint jobs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I...I won a custom battle foam bag for my x wing minis at a regional tournament. I use it. I'm a monster. :ohdear:

(I don't know about any owner drama but I'm sure there's good stories and I'll look him up.)

Just sew a patch over the Battlefoam logo. Nobody is saying don't use a free bag, but you don't need to advertise for them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Ran into with an issue with some spray today, army painter white. Not sure what caused it but the first half of the minis were fine, but when I flipped em over to do their backs the spray went weird and has left a very rough texture, almost like grit or something?

I don't think it's an issue with humidity or whatever as I also sprayed some other stuff black and had no issues with that.

Is my best bet to strip em and try again? Or will it smooth itself out if I just paint it as-is?

Strip and reprime. Skunky spray happens for a variety of reasons, don't sweat it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Kommando posted:

I'm about to paint some Reaper Bones and since theyve been used in unpainted fashion theyre covered in finger oil.
Can i use Acetone on Bones Vinyl or should i use just ethanol?

Just use dish soap.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

spectralent posted:

Weird question, but I'm considering getting a uniform-colour spray to do lots of soviets quickish. I've never done that before, though; will I need to spray-prime everything first, or is a base uniform spray going to do fine enough for that job on it's own?

You can likely skip the primer, but I tend to be a "belt and suspenders" person in this regard, and would apply primer then the base coat, but that might just be me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

For those of you guys who airbrush at home, what's your setup look like? I'm hoping a basic box and newspapers is fine for purely airbrushing water based paints and that I don't need an extractor. I did buy a respirator with OG/AV P100 which might be overkill but whatever it's cheap. Ideally I want something small I can place on my small table in my apartment.

I have a furnace filter that is sandwiched between a big cardboard box that has had the back cut out and a box fan that draws air through the filter. I use that set up in combination with a respirator.

Kind of like this, but less fancy.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18/t/161168.aspx

The benefit of the filter is that all the paint that doesn't go on your model goes into the filter via the fan, and not all over your room coating everything with a fine dust of dry pigment.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Hm, now I'm a little worried because I'm about to prime my guys with Army Painter (white). I have some sprues and crap minis to test on though, so I won't actually gently caress up anything important, but it'd be nice to have a primer that isn't super-fiddly.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Goddam this is harder than I expected mainly because of my inability to move my right wrist so all those little twists of the mini to get easy access to hidden parts is a nightmare.

Anyway have a WIP if my first 45 mins of frustration

Frustrating or not those are solid results, the face already looks great and the base coating is good too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

The Forgeworld Modelling Masterclass books are a good start. Having a look at the various military modelling magazines or even googling "superdetailing AFV model" will get you loads of hits and even scanned articles. You've gotta be flexible with techniques, lots of stuff can be ported across different crafts and hobbies - if you stick to just pure "miniatures" for your inspiration you'll run into difficulties. I've read tutorials on carpentry, jewellery-making, prop-making, doll-making, woodworking and all sorts of other weird stuff. Another good book for modelling is ABAKAN 2288 by Kallamity

For anime/Gundam stuff, most of the websites are in Japanese, and I can't read moonspeak. If you're lucky they post WIP shots and you can figure out what they're doing from there. If there is something they do really well in addition to tentacles, it's making excellent pictorial instructions. Some places I've found useful before:

Sci-Fi Modelling
Maschinen Krieger (Jap): http://www.aurora.dti.ne.jp/~kuruppo/dark/newrugm.html
More Maschinen Krieger (Eng): http://makadi3000.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/SAFS%20SNAKE%20EYE
Gundam (Jap): http://peck2003.web.fc2.com/
Appleseed/GITS: http://homepage1.nifty.com/musuke/kou_menu.html
Scratchbuild Sci-fi planes (Silpheed, Supersylph): http://sparrow.o.oo7.jp/

Miniatures
Great balsa modelling tutorial: http://www.virtualscratchbuilder.com/
The other Germy: http://www.germy.co.uk/
Agis: http://agisn.de/html/miniatures.html
Ultrawerke: http://ultrawerke.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/now-we-are-going-to-complete-rust.html
Matakisihi's Tea House (this guy gets poo poo done, unlike the rest of us, 4 gaming systems a year, jesus!): http://www.matakishi.com/index.htm

Don't use greenstuff. It won't work as the cured greenstuff shreds rather than sand properly. Use Magic Sculpt - I think in the US Apoxie Sculpt might be a similar type of thing? You need something which cures hard and brittle. Greenstuff still has that small amount of elasticity after curing which makes it impossible to sand. These days even when I need to use greenstuff for sculpting I cut it with Magic Sculpt so I can sand the final product.

Behold, the ADTRW tentacle monster on my desk, uncensored.

:nms:

:ohdear: what does he say? He's the guy who always brings up robodongs isn't he.

Nope, I'm the dong identifier.

Also re: ADTRW tentacle monster

Would!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Darren MacLennan posted:

Look at this garbage.

I broke a lengthy hiatus from miniature painting with that miniature, and now I regret everything.

That being said, it's a really hard miniature to paint. The skin is absent any texture, it's covered in bling, and the hair...

How do you paint hair without doing the basecoat/wash/drybrush tango? Because as you can see, it doesn't look good.

The hair goes from blue black to white and I think that might be the issue. Maybe try a very dark grey base, a blue or purple wash with a medium grey highlight and if you feel sassy an even smaller and lighter just the very peaks of the hair highlight? Very few things on a mini should ever be truly white, least of all eyes or edge highlights.

Just my 2 cents.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

dr_ether posted:

So not to offend people, link only to my finished Kingdom Death Wet Nurse https://goo.gl/photos/EfRKykbPjkvbopox8

I was happy with the result as it was also my first mini that I have ever airbrushed (did all the priming and pre-shading using it).

I have the boxed game on the way, and thus lots of minis, with a lot less boobs on display.

Nice body horror monster. An honest criticism; work on getting those mold lines off, and your blending (while still better than mine) could use some subtlety, it is fairly harsh right now and the whole thing would improve if the transition between colours was softer.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hauki posted:

I dug up a trove of various minis from when I was a kid, mostly fantasy GW with a smattering of war zone, reaper, various singles for "specialty games", etc. Most are still unpainted, but for those that were, what's the best way to strip a) metal figures and b) hard plastic, or can I just use the same solution for both?

Also found all of my old paints, and while a few had hardened, most are still liquid after 15-20 years. Someone had given me multiple sets of testors gloss enamel though that I have no loving clue what I'll do with. I assume one of my friends got ahold of them some point, because there are good chunks of Brettonian archers and black orks (neither of which I played) that have been base-coated and based reasonably well, but like, 75% of the base colors used are the usual acrylic and 25% are high gloss enamel. Maybe I'll have some incoming scrunt-alikes for the best of the worst thread.

Edit: this is mostly unrelated, but I remember liking the war zone tabletop game a lot as a kid. Did anyone else play it or remember it? How lovely was the ruleset? I've got a few little piles of Brotherhood, Bauhaus and some of the (relatively) newer tribes of earth or whatever. It's been discontinued obviously, but I found a place that bought the molds or something and still has the rules plus a ton of the original figures for sale, they're not the best sculpts but they're reasonably cheap I think. I'm sorta tempted just out of nostalgia.

You can use one thing for all your stripping needs.

It can be found at Walmart, Amazon, Ace Hardware, and a bunch of auto supply places.

My little documented experiment.

Part 1

Part 2

E: Do use gloves when handling Super Clean, it's just easier.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 28, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

spectralent posted:

I have a feeling this is a bad idea, but: Can you use air compressors for tools and stuff to power airbrushes? i.e. is there a way to limit pressure so you're only using the 10-15 psi or whatever your brush needs rather than whatever an air powered saw or something needs?

I always have. My compressor has the ability to adjust pressure built in it and I put a moisture trap in the line; other than being noisy it works just fine.

This is essentially the compressor I have. and it works great.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

GW's Youtube page is taking suggestions for tutorial videos for December:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfH4aU7P0w
I think it's actually pretty neat, their painting videos are solid.

Would it be too cheeky to ask for tutorials on how to paint Fantasy models?

"Dear GW, how to paint my Pegasus Knight? Please and thank you."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Here's a dumb question I should have asked earlier. I'm assembling a bunch of lead minis - actual factual lead, not white metal - and I'm having to trim and file them to get them to fit together. Should I be wearing a mask when I scrape at this stuff, or is it sufficiently heavy that even lead dust won't float up?

Related question, what's the best way to get all this lead off my files?

Glove would be a good idea when filing lead. A mask wouldn't hurt, but unless you are really filing up a storm ID say you can give it a miss. To clean your files you need a file brush.

http://www.amazon.com/Osborn-International-75116SP-Steel-Length/dp/B00J06IPQG/ref=pd_sim_328_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JHT5RJY6X3XK2Y6SSTV

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 23, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hauki posted:

how does this twitch channel have 65000 viewers at 1am on a weekday

edit: its currently the most viewed channel on twitch by like twofold

I wouldn't be shocked to find it is people using his soothing voice to fall asleep. Several thousand people gently sleeping to Bob's gentle and reaffirming words.

That or a gently caress ton of people in Europe and Australia are learning how to paint.

E:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 30, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

$54 Badger Air-Brush Co 105 Patriot Fine Gravity Airbrush on Amazon

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

So I took a day off work, ostensibly because the gas man was coming, really because my airbrush was coming. Just spent the day loving about with it, learning how to disassemble and clear clogs etc.

I just painted a crashed aquila lander to acceptable tabletop quality, with washes, in about... 30 minutes.

where has this thing been my whole life.

It was waiting for you with open arms.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Also Bulba's comment makes me want to get one and try body-painting my wife with it. Spicey!

Same tools, same techniques, different paint.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

I think I liked Craptank more, but Hi-Mock has some good results there.

Also GW started putting out their advent calendar of painting tutorials with how to paint white power armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsFy0n8H-4
It's not bad, I personally don't know if doing that sort of pin wash thing takes longer than just washing the whole model and bringing it back up to light grey, but it's a tutorial that gets good results.

That white power armor is light grey. I like your white results better.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

I use the exact same colors aside from a blue wash sometimes :shrug:

The blue wash helps, and why do your look white while theirs still looks grey?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Does anyone know a good method of painting ginger hair? I'm working on my Guild Ball Brewers and they're all varying shades of redhead.

Medium red-brown base and 3-4 orange highlights of various tones. Using orange as the base always looks cartoony.

(Personally I'd use a lighter orange rather than that yellow as the final stage)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

So dust keeps getting into the paint on my models. More than usual. What's a good way to prevent this (besides dusting the precariously balanced stuff in my room)? Would one of those ion air filtration things help?

Do you mean they get dusty on the shelf? If so, get a cabinet with glass doors, it's about the only way to slow that process.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Nah, dust falls into the paint as I'm painting them. Strands of it grab onto brushes and either make the paint apply oddly or force me to repeatedly pull them off so I get paint on my fingers and have to go wash my hands. Just a continual rain of dust. :sigh:

Then some kind of air filter is in order. Any guess why your work space so dusty?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

Do you have to thin it at all? Second coat? How well does it cover larger, smooth surfaces?

No. No. Very well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

It is incredible.

I moved to it a few years back. It gets even better when you shoot it through an airbrush.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

I think i had a bottle of this... and it went on great... but on metal models it found it had a tendency to come off in a layer when rubbed to hard... was i doing something wrong? I had no problems on plastic models although it did not seem to get as good coverage.

I didn't have that issue with metal models, but you can probably make it better if you attach your minis to something that allows you to hold it without touching the actual mini.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

My issue was that even after i had finished painting the models and varnished them, occasionally sections of paint would just peel off...

That sounds like you need to degrease your minis prior to to priming. Other than that I have no idea. I have (luckily) never had that issue.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Wierre posted:

So this Goblin Blood Bowl team has been with me for 8-10 years, and finally had time, energy and willingness to sit down and start painting them.
First batch of 7 complete.

Really happy with how they turned out.

You should be happy, they look great.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

Does anybody have experience stripping Mage Knight or Hero Clix figures? What's safe and effective to use on that weird plastic?

I primed over then used paint normally. No real issues. Don't bother trying to strip them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

selnaric posted:

So I started painting Infinity minis. There is a ton of detail in those models.

Nice work. Painting tartan on those tiny guys is really hard and yours looks great.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Until 1:40pm today (Dec 17th), Amazon's got a Gold Box deal for the Badger Minitaire set at $130. I'm not sure if this is a great deal or not, but that's at least $30 off of normal Amazon pricing.

According to CamelCamelCamel that is a historic low price. I got a set at gencon for $100 and while the paint quality is a little variable and some goons have expressed that they hate it, for that price I'd say it's a good deal if you have an airbrush already.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

No, reverse it.

Fill gap with talcum powder. Then drop thin superglue into it. The talcum powder helps give body to the glue.

Alternatively mix thick/medium superglue wth talcum powder into paste and use that like putty. Dries faster and sturdier than any of the other paste-like fillers. The Japanese actually make a commercial product which is similar - tiny glass beads mixed with superglue.

Haven't done it myself, but I have heard/seen good things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yY17r-hOlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Frobbe posted:

More orks

and a question: painting on varnish, do i need to thin it like regular paint or just straight out the pot?

Most require no thinning. Which brand are you using?