Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I needed a goblin break and realized that I had one of the infamous Primaris Lieutenants lying around

the first (and probably only) member of The Unseen chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Beautiful!

Loden Taylor posted:

That color scheme owns

Thanks! It’s embarrassingly close to my goblin scheme, but Incubi Darkness, Kabalite Green and Sybarite Green are probably my favorite paints

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

For traditional use I really don't like citadel metallics. Leadbelcher and retributor armor are fine, I guess. But I really like using the steel colors for drybrushing. IDK why but of all the brands I've tried out, they work the best when drybrushing. Note that this is just the steel colors, their golds like to act really weird when drybrushing. For gold colors I've really liked the p3 and scale75 golds, notably using necro/blighted gold as a base then working up from that using the others. Those two colors base really well and then some light touches of yellow gold or brass just make it pop.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are those the colors you used on that marine? It's an awesome scheme and I'm going to steal that someday

Yeah, those are the ones I used for the marine armor and my goblin robes, they're great. I tend to agree with you on citadel metallics, but I actually quite like Balthasar Gold and Sycorax Bronze (which I also used on the marine).

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

had some fun with the GW mini of the month

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I’m not sure you’ll be able to see this little guy once the face is on, but I’ll know he’s in there, piloting the squig

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

speaking of kids and mini painting, I gave my friend's four year old a Reaper Clubtail and he's not half bad

the "branching" effect he got between the back plates and the legs is quite neat (even if it's entirely by accident)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

*shoots 1000 needles at u*

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A bear. It was nice just trying out different shades of brown

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's subtle sorta but I like that darker gray on the front shoulders there. Nice bear.

Thanks, that was what I was going for after looking up some reference pics

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really need to do some proper basing, how is the GW texture stuff? I don't want to go crazy, just pick a terrain type to put them on.

GW texture is fine, but expensive. If you can get your hands on some of Vallejo's texture stuff, it's a good deal cheaper. The DIY version is spreading some thinned craft glue on the base and dip it in sand, which works just as well (unless you're looking for a crackle effect).

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A model resembling, but legally distinct from, Garnet from FFIX

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 5, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

That's some of the cleanest orange and white I've ever seen.

What's your black hair recipe if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks! I was a dumbass and primed her black so the orange took an incredible amount of layers.

The hair is black base, then a progressively smaller highlight of Dark Reaper -> Thunderhawk Blue -> Russ Grey. Then you use a black wash (I use AP Dark Tone) to tie it all together.

I stole it from Duncan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXQoNzMh74

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I'm taking a run at stripping paints. I feel like a glass cup with iso in it was a less good idea compared to get a small jar with a lid. It was the perfect size though :(

When I'm scrubbing at them should I be trying to do it in the alcohol or is it fine to pull them out and have a go?

You'll at least want something you can close, so the iso doesn't evaporate.

I usually pull them out and scrub under running water, seems to work fine.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Another FFIX character with the serial number filed off, Captain Steiner

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

You're knocking these out of the park, keep it up. Inspiring me to paint my own copies. I've got the entire PC crew plus Kuja and Beatrix.

I wish there was somebody who would do an STL of Bahamut vs Alexander for printing.

Thanks! Does RN Estudio have a Beatrix model? Haven't seen it.

I don't know if it's just the printing company I bought them from, but the sizing is... odd.

Regarding Alexander and Bahamut, just print these two guys and make them kiss (after you throw some wings on the Alexander model)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Issaries posted:

Did you self-print or did they do the printing for you?
3d-prints are easily scaleable and about 150% size Steiner would be right scale with Garnet.

Bought it. Guess I can ask if they can print a bigger version. Maybe after I’ve painted more of the shamepile

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

looks like vallejo metal color Aluminum or Chrome or Duraluminum or one of those really bright metallics

once you try them you'll toss the GW metallics in the trash

I wish they would do some more gold variants though. I know you can mix a warmer gold but I'm lazy, so Retributor Armor it is

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

Threw together a test model for my 30k Emperor's Children from some old junk:

Messier than I like but the main thing was seeing if the purple and gold I picked out work together on a model before I started on a squad of ten tacticals.

love the zebra shoulder

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

played around with some gloss and blood effects. Looks pretty neat in person but doesn't photograph great.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

finished up a pair of eggs

Nebalebadingdong posted:

also, i wrote a short article on miniature photography:
https://scratch-that.org/2023/06/07/the-miniature-photography-of-benjamin-wendt/

probably nothing new if you've been doing this for a while but maybe worth checking out if you're getting started or wondering about set up

Thank you so much for this, made me put a bit more effort in taking photos

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

What game uses these blood eggs?

No game (as far as I know anyway), they're the Crimson Behelit from Berserk

https://i.imgur.com/x8JbBwW.mp4

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Kweh!

oh god why did I prime it black

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

:allears: because you are a masterful madperson.

That's a good birb right there.

Chill la Chill posted:

Beautiful bird. Gives me hope for my neon green skin primed over black too.

Thanks! As long as you're patient and put down a few base layers, you'll get there in the end

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

They said kweh in FFIX and since that's the best one that's what I'm going with :colbert:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Hey I just wanted to thank everyone who posts in this thread, I’m pretty new to miniature painting and so far I’ve had a blast researching and buying all the gear I could get my hands on, but was having issues starting painting because I have no artistic background, can’t draw or paint for poo poo and had a lot of the resin minis I printed just sitting in a pile because I was worried about having no knowledge of color schemes etc. You guys inspired me to just start throwing some paint on these loving things and seeing where it goes and I’ve had much more fun the past month or so actually finishing some stuff. I’ll post some of the things I’ve finished up so I can get advice on improving, but yeah, this thread is great and just thanks for the inspiration.

Good for you, realizing you can do whatever you want is the most freeing thing you can do when painting minis. If you don't like a particular result, gently caress it, paint it over or strip it and try again, or just move on to the next. You'll improve either way :v:

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 10, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it’s getting there. Also where did you get the chocobo? I’ve been enjoying painting cavalry recently and I’m probably going to put together all this cavalry into a bretonnian army whenever they get rereleased

It's a "Chuco-strider" by RN Estudio. You can get it from various 3D printing sites or print your own. I got mine from Forgelord 3D (EU shop) and the print file is on MyMiniFactory.

They have a whole FF/JRPG series but they can be somewhat tricky to search for since they all have non-copyrighted names.

Ah yes, my favorite FF7 characters, Dhiva and Claude

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks a lot! I'm a big fan of Garett myself

Surely you mean William Barr :shepface:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Yeah, you don't want to go straight for a bright paint, they usually cover quite poorly. For red, I mostly use Khorne Red or Mephiston Red as a base, they usually cover black in 1-2 layers.

For cold white, Celestra Grey is a magic basecoat. Haven't found any white or grey that covers quite as nice as that one. For a warm white, I'd start with a sandy/beige color, something like Zandri Dust or Vallejo German Camouflage Beige WWII.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

"HELLO."

"SQUEAK."

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 16, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I painted a mammoth to go with some real mammoth stuff

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

It's the world's second-favorite monkey-tailed protagonist, Zidane!

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 16, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

That is an insanely smooth Zidane with the most psychotic eyes ever.

He turned out a bit more Chucky-like than I anticipated :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a gila monster-y skink

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

does anyone have any experience painting sandy/desert weathered schemes?

I did a corroded necron that I was never really happy with, but I did desert weather it a bit.

It was basically just lightly dusting the lower parts with AK North Africa Dust

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a lizard

feat. small toad

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love them both and want all the best things in life for the toad.

Beffer posted:

Quoting this because i really like these skin tones and i want to nick this colour scheme one day. Thanks, goon!

Also, cool frog.

Thanks! It's black -> Dark Reaper -> Thunderhawk Blue -> Russ Grey and then when you're finished and think "Man, this looks pretty bad" you give it 2x coats of Dark Tone/Nuln Oil and suddenly it all ties together.

also I painted these like four months apart and forgot all the paints I was using for the one with the shield. Looking at it I may need to go back and give the blowpipe one stronger highlights :v:

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 27, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Still a WIP but jesus christ I want to throw Warboss Green in the garbage.

lovely coverage, inconsistent, somewhat transparent, you pretty much have to layer it, took hours just to get here

Is Warboss Green your first basecoat on the mini? It's a layer paint, so it's meant to go on top of a base paint. Using something like Waaagh! Flesh or another base paint first would save you a lot of headache.

As an aside, I tried looking up the Citadel paint colors to find the right name and holy poo poo the new shop site is so bad. I had to look a third party site to find a paint overview.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 29, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I might actually get to play my copy of Frosthaven, so I've begun painting the starting classes

The Drifter was first up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

I made a chainrasp horde guy (nine more to go) and banshee and I was so proud I used my fancy camera and lightbox

I got these in December and was too nervous to paint them

The gold skull is a very neat idea. Might have to steal that at some point.