Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I've been getting more practice in with gloss coating, oil washes and then matte coating models with pretty great results so far. I love the vallejo liquid gold, silver, etc. line of paints, but don't know the timing on when to put it on the model. I assume gloss and matte varnishes mess with the luster, but how can I uniformly apply a wash and protect the metallic paint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Cross-posting from the model thread since I used some of the awesome techniques I learned here on it

quote:

It's amazing what you can do with an old, cheap model kit, some patience and creativity :toot: I was originally planning on just putting together the AT-AT as a quick build, but once I saw the little snowspeeder that came with it, I knew what needed to be done. This also gave me an excuse to further practice using homemade oil washes. I'm shocked at how well this all came together.

Pre-painted and seeing if the wire would work on this

The final result

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Does anyone have any tips on painting a captured vehicle? I'm thinking of getting a T-34 for my Finnish army in Bolt Action and would like to give it the look of a hasty battlefield paint job. Something like you can still see hints of the Soviet markings underneath.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

My base crew for Malifaux all painted up and based, along with some traps for another character.

Latigo Posse!

Close up on the rusted blade for the dude in the back

Added a makeshift cross to the leader of the crew's base at the end of the day out of some coffee stir sticks and a brown wash.

On to the traps! First I played around with some rust effects and was overall pretty happy with how it turned out.

Then I played around with GW's Blood for the Blood God paint because their technical paints are pretty spiffy, even if their pot design stinks.

Then the madness started taking over.

Then I remembered I had some googly eyes handy...

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this objective marker turned out for Bolt Action :toot:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

richyp posted:

Awesome, please tell me he's called Flashheart?

You're goddamn right he is :britain:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

I've been working the overnight shift at home this week. So during the lulls I've been knocking off a bunch of projects that were hovering at 80% done for ages.

Finally finished up some Blood Ravens and their bases with 100% legitimately donated relics from other chapters/races

Finished up smaller Alpharius being stabbed by Alpharius

Battle Brother Doctor Drillstab

And, the one I'm happiest to finally have finished

:black101: SETTRA :black101:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Cross posting from the 40k thread

Commissar Canuck posted:

Still working on the other two, but I finished the first of the three bikers from the Indomitus box. These bikes have always belonged to the Blood Ravens, what are you on about?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Quite pleased with how this bust turned out, I can see myself doing these for a bunch of different chapters for some fun practice with different colours.

The dude who made the stl files for this bust goes by jg_3d_printing on instagram. I messaged him and he graciously sent the files to print (I guess he had it on thingiverse for a while but it's since been removed.

Also forgot to crosspost this from the 40k thread:

quote:

Trying to free up some painting space so I've been working on projects that are mostly done and just need to be finished up. Last night was this handsome fellow:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Painted my first Sister of Battle :toot:

Also finally got around to painting some cool orks from Artel W and Hardcore Miniatures

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I especially like this one. Is the shovel part of the kit, or did you make that / find it elsewhere?

Thanks! I made it out of some left over milliput and a toothpick hit with a wash.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Been working on finishing some mostly done projects this week. Got my Blood Ravens bikers done complete with their totally not "liberated" bikes

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks everyone! It was fun to do and much faster than my five man squad plus dreadnought based with a bunch of "clearly not Blood Ravens bits" stuff

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

I've never had great success with white primer out of an airbrush for whatever reason. But (somewhat related) using a white ink over a black or grey primed model as a zenithal highlight is buttery smooth. Inks like Daler-Rowney FW that you can get at Michael's, to be clear. No issues with white splotches after that

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Painted my first bust tonight. I think it turned out okay!

Sup fellow Alexei Konev patreon subscriber :respek:

Here's the Dorn bust I did a month or so ago. Probably going to do Horus next once I finish up some smaller projects that have been hovering at "almost done" for too long.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

That looks awesome! I have the following printed out that I still need to paint: Horus, Leman Russ, Ferrus Manus, Vulkan, Perturabo, Sanguinius, Lion El'jonson, Magnus, Guilliman, Rogal Dorn, Mortarion, Lorgar

:negative:

I might do Rogal Dorn next, the paint scheme looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks! It's the only one I have painted, the rest are printed staring at me from the shelf. I can't wait to see how he does Jaghatai Khan, which should be the next one as he's going by the order they were found.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Got my Primaris Captain finished up from the Indomitus box last night. The Blood Ravens are honoured to have the "donated" skeleton of Sigismund to protect their favourite shield :toot:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

this is incredible. i love how you had the lightest highlighting with the lightsaber, looks sick.

Thanks! I took a class on blending recently and decided to use the sword as practice.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

My buddy printed off some stuff for me recently and threw these two mini busts in as a surprise bonus. Fun little couple hour project

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Finished this (free!) 3D print of Gabriel Angelos by Artel W. I decided to have my buddy make him a smidge bigger than normal because he's the Chapter Master (and a cool dude). Also threw a fun little wink to the Very Not Heretical™ rumours about the Blood Ravens history on the base

Also had a second print done at 54ish mm as a display piece, but that one's only been base coated at this point.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Desfore posted:

Oh wow, do you have a link to that? I've been eyeing the FW Gabriel for a while, but I kinda hate his face. Or, I guess more accurately, his whole head. his hairline makes his head look weirdly elongated, from the pictures.

Yeah, I painted the FW one awhile ago and his head/face is weirdly janky. This was the link I used:

https://spikeybits.com/2020/01/artel-w-miniatures-rolls-out-oop-sculpts-for-free-download.html

Angelos is, appropriately, named Chapter Master in that bundle

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Finished up this Sister of Battle last night. Tried experimenting with taking some bits of a cotton swab, soaking it in watered down white glue, and hanging it out to dry which gives you a decent smoking barrel effect. Not sure how well it shows up in the picture, but I also hit the smoke with a tiny amount of grey via airbrush to try and give it some depth.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Crossposting from the 40k thread

quote:

Finished up these violent Rockeeter cosplayers last night. I hated how they looked on the normal flying stands but found a company called Deadly Print Studio that does a bunch of effects you can add to the minis. Very pleased with the results :black101:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Decided to take a break from painting one collectivized farm's worth of soviets and paint this handsome devil. Pretty pleased with how it all turned out. The bust was a stl file from a guy who goes by doses3d on various platforms.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Finally finished this guy. The decals were a pain in the rear end but they were definitely worth it

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Might try cleaning up the lettering a bit on the scrolls, but otherwise my Ancient Rylanor inspired dreadnought is done. Quite pleased with how the hot coals/ashes base turned out!

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Tried my hand at speed painting as a way of shutting off my brain and just going with the flow. Pretty happy with how Raph turned out for two hours work.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

This looks great!

How'd you go about it? Airbrush?

Thanks! Mostly airbrush, except for the bandana,eyes, and stitches then used micron pens to make the recesses/cuts pop a bit

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Finished up this kitbash of Ancient Rylanor, the most patient man in the Imperium. Quite pleased with how it all came together, especially the "listen here you little poo poo" point.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

I went HAM on Marvel United, which means I have a ton of plastic. To help motivate me to get through this backlog, I'm only going to play with painted characters. Here's the first batch of speed paints I did over the weekend. Just need to varnish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Cross posting as well

quote:

Finally dialed in the formula for my loyalist Emperor's Children and their fancy, fancy metallic purple colour scheme I'm giving them