Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

I decided to get back into 40k after a very, very long hiatus amd I had a question regarding primer sprays that I can't find a definitive answer on. If I have a primer spray from Army Painter in the "base" color for my army (if I want to do a black-and-gold motif with black being the main color, for example), would I need to paint over the primer with a basecoat of the same color, or would the primer be fine on its own once sealed?

I'm not planning on using the primer spray as my base color, but I got curious about if you needed to paint over primer while I was ordering my paints from my FLGS, but couldn't find an answer in relation to miniatures (if I wanted to paint my house on the other hand...).

Most people do paint over it, because the extra layers add depth, not to mention most people are probably doing a shade, highlight or dry brushing etc.

However, using colored primer is a legit speed painting technique. If you want to get a horde Army on the table fast, then there's no reason you can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I've been working on a Fortune Hunters force for DeepWars. When I saw the submarine I fell instantly in love, and just had to break out the brass and work out how to get that proper steampunk patina. 19th century diving suits are such lovely material, and the bases!

Pity about the frosting on the submarine's canopy, but otherwise I'm really proud of these guys and I learned a lot painting them.

These are great! Thanks for posting them, I hadn't heard of this game.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

I was doing an airbrush priming marathon last night with my Badger Patriot and at some point the primer started bubbling out around the threads of the needle cap. I stripped the airbrush down and gave the front end a soak in Simple Green to get the primer off and have just given the needle a good once over to rid it of a little bit of dried primer so I think I've managed to get everything back to where it should be (once I reoil the needle at least) but I'm not sure what caused the problem in the first place. I did tighten the needle cap at one point last night because it was a little loose and seemed to be having a negative impact on the spray but now I'm not so sure. It's probably a really simple and common thing but I just don't have enough experience to know and while it's low stakes right now while I'm laying down black primer, as soon as I start trying to build a zenithal or base coat, that potential spattering is just not going to work.

I've had this problem too, and would love to know if there are any solutions for it. Best I've been able to do is as you have, strip the thing down clean it and start over again.