Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Posted about this the the 40k thread, but I've recently gotten back into mini painting after about a decade (I wasn't good before either), and I found some thousand sons already primed and figured I'd try and paint them:

Since then I've got some primer and found a couple of Tzeench demons to paint:

You'll have to excuse the chipped paint, I dropped these boys literally moments before taking this picture and all their arms broke off :shepicide: Not that they didn't already have missing limbs from being stuffed in a box for years, but they're demons who can even tell :v:

The fire effect looks much better in the photos than in person for some reason. I didn't figure out how to do teeth and claws until the flamers, and horrors came out kinda... boring. Maybe it's a product of my failed attempts at mixing paints making everything too monochrome, including my attempts at gradients on the flamers where you can hardly see any colour change. Turns out my art teacher lied to me and mixing red and blue absolutely does not create purple :argh:

And now I'm off to assemble a whole bunch of lizard lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
So I painted some lizards (sorry for the terrible pics again):

Came out better than I expected! Was inspired by R0ckfish's lizards on Goonhammer and thought I'd try something similar but I ran into a bunch of problems.

Originally I wanted to do a red stripe down the back with smaller yellow border stripes, but this quickly turned into a sort of failed blending. It looks really muddy and I don't really understand how I should highlight and shade these scales. I tried both a vallejo red and a flesh wash and neither did anything noticeable. How should I approach this? I think next time I'm just going to do a single red stripe instead, unless anyone has any better ideas for how to make this look good. I also couldn't figure out the leather and straps, so I just slapped some brown on and covered it in washed and called it a day, probably something I need to work on too :v:

I also had the idea to paint the bastiladon like an african bush viper

...but I have absolutely no idea how I would even approach doing something like this without an airbrush.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like flames. The hotter parts are going to be white/yellow, and the colder parts more red/orange. I'd say the difference is going to be using purple in place of black where you'd see the sooty parts of a fire.

This implies I have any idea how to do flames :v: but thanks, another thing I need to look into.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Lizard update: I've been putting off doing the bastiladon from before while I work up the nerve, and in the meantime I've tried my hand at a terradon. Except I've now come up against all sorts of new and innovative problems!

This is what I managed, hopefully you can see what I was going for here but it was a real painful process. I tried to glaze purple into the shadows instead of washing the model, and it kinda worked, except it looks fairly muddy and patchy. Presumably it's the purple colour and I just need something else. The underside looks "wrong" to me for some reason, like it's too red, but I can't figure out what it needs to make it look better...

The attempt at freehanding speaks for itself :v: not that I'm very surprised, but it was a real chore just getting paint off the brush at all. Is this a job for flow-improver? is it bad brushes (shedding straight out of the back ftw) or is it bad technique? The yellow stripes went as badly as the last time and I really don't get how I would make them look good, but also the bone part of the markings looks very thin and chalky too for some reason, no matter how many layers I put down. I might just swap them out for more traditional purple markings next time.

And finally, the head looks very... plastic? which I think is from drybrushing and washing too hard. When I do the other 2 I'll probably start with black and work it back up to grey instead.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Lizard update: I've been putting off doing the bastiladon from before while I work up the nerve, and in the meantime I've tried my hand at a terradon. Except I've now come up against all sorts of new and innovative problems!

This is what I managed, hopefully you can see what I was going for here but it was a real painful process. I tried to glaze purple into the shadows instead of washing the model, and it kinda worked, except it looks fairly muddy and patchy. Presumably it's the purple colour and I just need something else. The underside looks "wrong" to me for some reason, like it's too red, but I can't figure out what it needs to make it look better...

The attempt at freehanding speaks for itself :v: not that I'm very surprised, but it was a real chore just getting paint off the brush at all. Is this a job for flow-improver? is it bad brushes (shedding straight out of the back ftw) or is it bad technique? The yellow stripes went as badly as the last time and I really don't get how I would make them look good, but also the bone part of the markings looks very thin and chalky too for some reason, no matter how many layers I put down. I might just swap them out for more traditional purple markings next time.

And finally, the head looks very... plastic? which I think is from drybrushing and washing too hard. When I do the other 2 I'll probably start with black and work it back up to grey instead.

Okay so apparently vallejo bronze fleshtone is actually light yellow-orange and not the light brown I thought it was??? It has great coverage so this solves all my problems.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

im just painting rats

I love these, every time I look at one it tricks my brain into thinking it's a painting.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Glad I went back and rethought the terradons. I think these ones turned out much better!

I even figured out the markings (eventually)!

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Painted fire for the first time and finished off the terradon riders!

Came out pretty okay I think, although the camera hides a lot of the blotchyness :sweatdrop: I still don't know how to do desert bases I'm happy with, so I'm holding off on them. Might finally be time to tackle that bastilladon...

Here's everything I've managed so far:

For anyone who has experience with GW flight stands like this, how do you deal with them? They don't fit tight into the hole in the base, and the little orb at the top doesn't fit into the socket on the model either. I'd have to glue both of them in place otherwise they'd fall off if you so much as breathed on them, but it seems like they'd be a nightmare to transport if I did. Not that it's an immediate concern, I'm just predicting either the stand breaks, the rider breaks, or both break.

Winklebottom posted:

Ghosts N' Roses

Also these are some sick ghosts

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
After realising I didn't have any magenta paint and my order getting lost for 2 weeks, I've finally finished my lizards!

Didn't quite get the blending on the bastiladon down like I wanted it, and the yellow is just ugh :barf: but overall it came out pretty good imo :toot:

Now to figure out what to do next...

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
you're both wrong, I didn't use green anywhere!!!

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Thread, I have a question about basing. I want to do a sandy desert sort of look but I don't have any texture paint. I've vaguely heard somewhere that wall filler or tile grout mixed with paint make ok substitutes but is this actually true? Has anyone itt used them before to do this and what did it look like?

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
After many weeks I've finally finished painting my sphiranx

I really wanted to push myself to the limit with this one and I'm happy I did because imho this is the best I've painted so far. The fur texture was a lot easier than I thought it'd be (not that my terrible lighting and photography does it any favours), and ironically I had to push myself even further and not use any washes because my Vallejo ones are just awful, all glossy and sticky. Also tried to use s75 paints for the first time and boy, when they say matt, they mean matt huh. You can really see the difference on the face compared with everything else. The only part I thought didn't work are the orange gems. I assumed that since orange is so transparent I could just paint grey and white under them and glaze on orange but that didn't really work out. Might go back and change them to blue at some point.

Now to slap some grout on that base (thanks for the advice) and call it a day!

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

They actually are more saturated, according to vallejo.

The other kit I was going to suggest was

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acylicos-V...07710680&sr=8-5

but the pink in the picture looks really separated so I was unsure whether to suggest it.

I have this and from experience most of the colours were fine, but several of them, especially the browns, were completely separated straight out of the bottle and basically unusable. The fact that the red looks like pink in that picture seems to suggest it's a widespread problem :v:

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Cross posting!

quote:

After weeks of procrastination and accidentally dropping the model I've finally finished my sphiranx.

First ever attempt at doing a textured base came out pretty good, I think :D

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
After 8 months and a crippling back injury, I've finally finished a bunch of lizards and a fox thing:

I'm pretty happy with the former but the latter was just really difficult and didn't turn out well imo. I don't like the way the white turned out, and the model is just so big and fiddly with weird hard-to-reach bits that it's impossible to hold and paint comfortably, even with sub assemblies, so I kinda phoned in a lot of the details. Still not very good at mini photography either but I think I'm improving at least.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

GSW wet palette

What causes this? My redgrass palette doesn't have this problem...

From experience, this is caused by too much water on the sponge seeping through into the paint if the paper is too thin or porous. You might need to pour off excess water after you wet the palette.

Also, sometimes the paper will form little droplets of water on the surface that eventually run into paint and dilute it. You could try dabbing them up with a paper towel to see if that helps.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Only took about 2 years and a severe back injury, but since the new Seraphon stuff just came out I figured I should finally finish these two:

Still can't manage to take good pictures with my phone but I'm fairly proud of how they both came out. Can't be bothered to do the rims atm

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

This was my first set and to be honest, it was not very good! I don't recommend it.

I don't have any alternatives just don't get this one imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Ever since I got a vortex mixer my teeth have become whiter, my skin more moisturized and my hair thicker and lusher. and a girl actually smiled at me!

thanks, vortex mixer!

Speaking of vortex mixers, what's a good cheap vortex mixer to get in the UK? the ones on Amazon are anything from 30 to 100. Is this a case of them all coming from the same factory in China and just being priced randomly by resellers?