Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
New thread! drat, I need to paint more models...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Did somebody say Kill Team?

I'm looking forward to finishing these legionnaires up; once I wash up the metals and hit all the details I'll honestly be perfectly happy with them.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So if any of y'all were curious weather Skitarii hands fit on Space Marines...

They do! The left arms need some trimming and pinning and twisting to look right, but hey.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Hi goons. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for weathering dark armor. Most of the weathering advice I've found / followed in the past assumes armor colors that will show all the steps of sponge chipping, for reference, this duder:

Now that I'm painting dark, old-school Alpha Legion, the only real strong colors on my models that will allow the contrast necessary are the extreme highlights. For reference:

So, the standard easy-day method of weathering my dudes probably won't work, and I'm kind of stuck/paralyzed on the next step. I don't want to cover them in rust or totally ruin the nice bright highlighting I have going. Weathering powders are on my agenda to play around with at some point, but there are so many options ya know?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

ijyt posted:

Do any of the other paint manufacturers have an equivalent colour to the new FW Lupercal Green and Sons of Horus green?

I'd order the FW one if it wasn't for the bloody shipping.

They aren't quite 1:1 equivalents, but the paints I picked up awhile ago for SoH are vallejo panzer aces USMC tank crew (319) and model color green sky (70.974). Tamiya also has a spray of their field green color, but it smells like Mortarion's fart when being sprayed. Looks nice though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So I'm about halfway through painting some smashfuckers, and I'm coming to an issue with my color scheme. I'm perfectly happy with the Legionnaires themselves (though I think I'll repaint the shields in blue), but I'm not feeling the mounts. I'm thinking of redoing them a very very dark red, like in this guy. I feel like I've already lost the opportunity to paint them in their Legion's colors, since I don't want to strip and start over. Thoughts?

(Actually now that I look at the pictures, the dark bronze is growing on me. Maybe painting the shields blue really is the answer.)

Also, I painting this dude up for a coworker's secret santa present. At the time I wasn't satisfied, especially with his head, but now that there's a week between painting and looking, I'm pretty pleased. I definitely wouldn't have been able to put together anything like this a year ago.