Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you in the US? If you are I can send you a couple dozen 3d printed minis for you to practice on. I am just absolutely swimming in them. PM if you want! They would be good quality minis, just ones I have extras of.

this was so beyond what i was expecting. this was super kind of you, thank you so much. i will update this thread with what i do!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

i will update this thread with what i do!!!

I started with this mini because I liked his details and personality. I'm real happy with it! i've been learning to control the speed painters paint better. (i intend to get away from speed painters paint)

I still need to give him a little base. I've been experimenting with basing with some mixed success

besides, a snowy environment doesn't really fit him.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

The Lord of Hats posted:

My first mini! I spent way more time on him than remotely makes sense for a basic infantry guy, but it's a learning experience, and dammit he looks cool to me. :toot:

That looks fresh! I like the eyes. Those are very hard for me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

I have this monk figure and I wanna put him on this arm, like he's balancing on a golden Buddha statue. But I wanna make the have clouds like the statue is high on a mountain or something. I'm not sure how to get that across. Definitely biting off more than I can chew.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you have an idea, try sketching it out. It can help you figure out how/where you're going to anchor things.

So, based on your description (golden arm and clouds) this probably doesn't need to actually be super tall. The arm just needs to be a bit above the base. You just need something to prop up the arm, so some spirals of green stuff that are offset towards the area where the arm's been cut off and leaving most of the arm unsupported is probably roughly what you want.

When you go to position / glue down the monk, try dipping his lower half in hot / boiled (but not boiling) water. Get his feet nice and soft, then glue them down and you can bend them a bit to conform to the arm, which might help make them look less flat.

I couldn't find good cloud advice for minis but this is super useful and what I was thinking! I've used hot water to try and get a mini looser to pose.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Eej posted:

Just google "goku cloud figure" and make a ball of green stuff that looks vaguely brain shaped and volumetric shade it so it looks like an anime cloud, ez pz

i should have known goku would be there to help me when warhammer nerds let me down

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
They look like little Zaku from Gundam that's good

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Beffer posted:

Cross post from the oath thread, because I'm happy about this (don't look too closely at the dodgy freehand on the cloak)

I love what you've done, he looks so moody

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Oh I'm in Michigan
How cold is too cold to spray? None of the stores nearby sell paint on primer.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I like the water effects you've done on the base

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm annoyed because I want to buy vellajo paints but their website is broken and my local store doesn't have sets

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm thinking of ordering this vallejo set even though they're small bottles.
https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/sets/cases/basic-starter-case-80260/
and working my way through them. This seems to be a good "bang for buck" at 70 bucks. they are the same as the regular vallejo paints, right?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Eej posted:

You'll use like 12 of them and have 38 bottles of dried paint 4 years from now, probably

Yeah that seems right

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm just saying the best looking blue i've seen from citadel paints is named world eaters blue

That is good advice tho

also my local store stocks them at 4 bucks

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
These orcs don't fit on the bases I have aaa

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Shoehead posted:

OK so these heads for the whole squad. Yay or Nay?

i do not like the head on this body, it looks out of place. it looks like the underwire for the helmet they should be wearing. it's very well done tho.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i finally painted one of my Mymourn Banshees that i got several months ago

i tried dry brushing a gold face under her ghost sheet and I think it came out very good!!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I made a chainrasp horde guy (nine more to go) and banshee and I was so proud I used my fancy camera and lightbox

I got these in December and was too nervous to paint them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Winklebottom posted:

The gold skull is a very neat idea. Might have to steal that at some point.

Death stranding is cool as hell. I covered it with leaves but there's also a big ball and chain weighing him down so he can't go to heaven (I assume, I haven't read any warhammer)

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 28, 2024