Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Irate Tree posted:

No, i wasn't talking about Palladium. I've never ordered from them, i don't believe. Are they the ones with the power armoured sisters with their boobs out or, is that someone else? Either way, it's bad.

Palladium made the still only half fulfilled Robotech kickstarter, and they've been sending out 1 line every month for 3 years pretending big things are coming soon to cover for the fact that they've already spent all the money. You can find info all over about how much of a shitlord Kevin Siembieda is, including ripping off and bad mouthing freelancers, whose work he shitcans for being not up to scratch, and then prints with his own name on the cover after making minor alterations at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TTerrible posted:

Hahaha Kevin Siembieda.

Wargaming has some absolute shitlords but the RPG world is nightmare mode.

Gaerth. Michael. Skarka.

Anyway, all I was trying to say was that Creature Caster seems like they mostly made the same good faith mistakes most KS project creators make first (and sometimes second) time out, and as far as I'm aware everyone who didn't opt for an earlier refund got what they backed for, so there's no reason to not buy from them beyond the standard judgments on price, quality, and aesthetics you'd make with most other indy mini makers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

glitchkrieg posted:

What was the Waylands stuff? I'm mixed about them as a supplier - my first order was fine, my next order was terrible and a third order was mostly good, with massively improved customer service. And then the last bit of that order took the best part of 3 months to get ahold of, including one delivery where they sent me the wrong products.

Wayland bought the debt from the suppliers, paid the something like 50p for every 1 pound owed, which leaves the suppliers hurt but not bleeding, so that Maelstrom actually owed Wayland the money - and then enacted a 30 day notice period for repayment, or face being wound up. Wayland would have been hoping they got all the moulds and other still valuable stuff after HMRC wound up Maelstrom, but the owner cut and ran, transferring the assets to Mierce for peanuts instead.

Wayland didn't do anything wrong, they were just a third party that kicked the rotten building down.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I haven't had primer problems with bones, but I have had an issue where my matt varnish was going through the future floor polish and several layers of paint to make the mini tacky, like people have had with some rattle cans. Solved it by switching to an artists matt resin as the top layer and not had a problem since.

There's just some particular additives in some varnishes and spraypaints that cause Bonesium to melt.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I did a thing

NTRabbit posted:

:pirate: Oath complete! :pirate:

Claiming the challenge for my custom sscratchbuilt Ogre Army Standard Bearer on Chariot for Kings of War, made from all the different bits in the OP

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JackMann posted:

Another mini done while deployed. I might base him while I'm out here, or I might wait until I'm home. Haven't decided yet.

I think some of the other footmen may have put something in his ale for a gag

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Turns out that using a sepia wash as an undercoat follow by a yellow-orange ink does indeed produce something that is way too orange.

I just quickly brushed it to see how things would work out. I guess I'll try again with a different ink. Thoughts?

You could try secret weapon yellow snow wash and vallejo yellow ink, definitely won't turn out orange

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin' Nathavarr from Reaper's Dragon's Don't Share, and Karrathor, the Tyrant of Halpi from Mantic's Dungeon Saga

NTRabbit posted:

:smaug: OATH COMPLETE! :smaug:

Worth noting that the base was painted in the previous oath season as part of the Dragon's Don't Share tower set.

The white spots on the wings are polymer varnish that hasn't dried, the white spots on the base are clumsy fingers!

Claiming a flying start and double monster may-hem with my pair of dragons because There's more than one!

Gonna touch up that grey base once I figure out an effective way to make it match the moulded cobblestones on the small guys.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin'

NTRabbit posted:

:cheerdoge: OATH COMPLETE :cheerdoge:

Claiming time to shine on the hoses on the drills and iron ancestor that I painted with a new bottle of the magical Vallejo Metal Color, and the green laser tips done with badger ghost tints. The whole things are still glossy really, because the gloss coat is still tacky 30 hours later due to the weather, but those bits will stay shiny once the matt coat goes on the reds and browns.

Seeking further opinions

NTRabbit posted:

Joining the cross postin' craze, my next set of Forge Fathers, do these ones work better than the first lot? Same colour scheme, but I used Army Painter Strong Tone dip instead of the all over nuln oil wash on the previous lot

NTRabbit posted:

Late June I got one of those GW dry brush paints, and went over the previous squad to come up with this, better or worse?

I've got some feedback from Atlas Hugged in the Mantic thread, but more feedback sources is always helpful. Also yes, I know the dry brush got a little loose and I need to touch up some spots on the red.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

professor_curly posted:

Just because I'm paranoid, is this a :justpost: zone for stuff that is painted? Or is there a quality bar I should try to reach first.

Anything that is painted, and after people have stopped foaming at the mouth and screaming THIN YOUR PAINTS and DRILL YOUR BARRELS while literally shaking with rage, they'll be able to give advice to help you reach whatever quality bar you want to reach.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Looks good. Glowing is usually produced with an effect called Object Source Lighting (OSL). So you would start the lantern at a white or light yellow, then slowly blend out in circles to darker yellows to create the light source - then you cast that light onto nearby objects by painting that yellow on them. Looks like this:

An actual good painter will be able to give you a quick tutorial, but until then, thin your paints (your white and blue look a little thick, it's better to do multiple layers of watered down paint than few layers of thick paint)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oathin' cross postin'. Pleased with how my Red Goblin Biggit turned out, feels like I'm getting better. It's a Reaper Bones Goblin Leader, hence the polymer sealer, and the pillar was a way of dealing with the integral base while fitting him in with the Ogre army to which he belongs.

NTRabbit posted:

Oath Complete

Also claiming recipe for success:

Army Painter Red cape
VGA Dwarf Skin, with a coat of VMC Transparent Green for the skin
Reaper MSP HD Pale Saffron eyes
VGC Off White teeth
VMC Natural Steel weapon and armour, edge highlighted with Vallejo Liquid Silver
P3 Hammerfall Khaki for the hood and tunic
VMC Panzer Series Beige Brown for the gloves and dagger hilt
All washed in Citadel Nuln Oil
Sealed with Devlan Matisse Polymer Matt Varnish

The base was carved from standard Milliput
Painted in Vallejo Black Surface Primer, with Reaper MSP HD White edge highlights
Sealed with Pledge Future Shine for a glassy Obsidian finish
Surrounded by a small amount of Vallejo Earth Texture Dark Earth, and Woodland Scenics Light Green Field Grass

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 1, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Philthy posted:

Yeah, he made a transparent/reflection effect of the eyeball.

I don't know what you'd call that. EJE? Eyeball Juice Effect.

gently caress right off is what I'd call it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Last I checked it was still possible to subscribe, get the content, and then unsubscribe before being charged anything, but don't do that.

Patreon is month to month, you don't need to sign up for any minimums.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What light box do you guys like to use when taking pictures of your miniatures?

My super budget version is an Ikea SKUBB Box (available singly in store) with white LED bars placed on top

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stephenls posted:

Their white primer is both white and covers like poo poo unless you shake it really well and use it unthinned.

It also dries so fast it clogs my airbrush mid spray, I don't use it anymore.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oathin and cross postin, also the Reaper thread got archived

I went to see a traveling exhibit on Impressionism from the Musee d'Orsay at the Art Gallery of South Australia, and got inspired.

My Vallejo still water is taking days to dry clear because of the weather, I do plan to put another coat on top, or skip another coat and go straight to the final layer, which is the vallejo water gel to sculpt some ripples on the surface radiating out from where the feet just splashed down

NTRabbit posted:

:smaug: Oath Complete! :smaug:

Tyrea and Culth. Culth didn't have sculpted nipples, so in the interests of equality I painted him some

Cinder

Stormwind le Dragon atterrissant sur un éperon rocheux, surplombant la mer du Nord (2018) (Impressionism is fun :buddy:)

Claiming Guns out for all the exposed human and dragon skin. Also claiming the Daily Double by doing January's Every step you take (below) and March's Life is better down where it's wetter by turning Stormwing's base into a rain soaked one that still isn't dry 4 days after applying the still water, winter is chilly yo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So which one of you moved the 'first ever warhammer vs latest warhammer' thing to instagram? It's all over my feed, can't be a coincidence that it happened later the same day

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chance II posted:

Hmm, I think I'll give it a try with a little thinning. Sounds like it would help make the ghostly parts less flat.

Honestly I'd recommend picking up Secret Weapon green wash instead, it's super cheap and it'll do the job a hell of a lot better

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Furism posted:

Sorry for asking here but I'm on my phone and it's not easy to search The Something Awful Forums on it. Where's the scale modeling thread and also where can I learn about Killteam?

The scale modeling thread is here

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I have this paint rack in plain MDF, and it is good. Have a dropper bottle long straight and 90° inside corner, a citadel 90° outside corner, a Tamiya 90° outside corner, and a Minitaire/P3 90° inside corner and long straight with drawers. Goes together easy, and everything fits where it's supposed to fit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

For anyone who used and liked them, Reaper are discontinuing production of the MSP HD paint series

quote:

Dear Reaper Nation,

Please note that effective immediately that we are ceasing production of our MSP High Density (HD) Paint Line. We will not be mixing, pumping, or bottling any new MSP HD Paints.

The product codes affected by this are:
29801-29854 MSP HD Single Bottles
09961 MSP HD Set #1
09962 MSP HD Set #2
09964 MSP HD Set #3
09965 MSP HD Caddy Set
09972 MSP Essentials Set
00974: MSP High Density (HD) Countertop Rack
00971: MSP Essentials Paint Rack

We will continue to ship all existing MSP HD products in our inventory until the time when stock levels are depleted. After that time, these MSP HD Paint products will be considered Discontinued or Out of Print (OOP).

Just to be clear, this cancellation only affects the MSP HD line (29800 series) of paints; MSP Core Colors and MSP Bones Ultra Coverage paints will remain unchanged.cleardot.gif

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

Do we know why they're discontinuing that line?

I didn't see them give a reason