Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Looks like it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Need to check if my instincts are correct. I'm painting up a goaty-looking demon lord and I want to make it look disgusting, bloated, and generally gross. I'm thinking a green undercoat with layers of brown/green mixed (with more brown added with each layer), possibly with a brown ink. Will this look horrible in the "oh god that's NASTY" sense, or will it look horrible in the "don't look at my shame" sense?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

moths posted:

As long as the base green is darker than the brown/green mixture you're highlighting with it should look fine.

You might want to try something like a deep forest green base blended into khaki / light green mix and then highlight with tan or even ivory.

That's pretty much exactly my game plan, so it's good to know. The green I was considering for the base coat is some of the old Orkhide Shade, so it would be hard to find a darker green. Hadn't considered the ivory, though...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If I want to highlight bronze, would mixing bronze and gold be my best bet for the highlight color, or just gold, or something else? I am bad at figuring out metals.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Pretty sure that's a pen case for a moderately high-end pen (probably a fountain pen).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

For the grip itself you could probably use a piece of guitar wire by snipping the ends, pulling out the core, and inserting a brass rod.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Just make sure you have the right tools for this (needle-nose pliers, wire cutters). You also want to take out the core of the guitar wire very slowly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I wonder how well one of those furniture repair markers would do in a case like this?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Literally shaking right now from undrilled barrels

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Ive been trying to paint a model that I just primed and its been acting really weirdly. When I paint some areas of it, the paint doesn't seem to want to apply and instead just forms droplets on the surface.

Any idea whats happened and how to fix it?

What kind of model?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Does anyone have any good advice for creating a sort of worn road line effect? I'm looking at making a landing pad terrain piece and I'd like the surface of it to look like when the yellow lines on a road have seen some wear and tear but are still clearly visible. If anyone knows how to get just that shade of yellow too I'd be grateful.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hmm. Interesting options, both of them. I have a spare piece of material I can test both on and see which one I like. Thanks! As for the color, Rustoleum gives traffic line paintcolor as RGB 243:188:062 (hex F3BC3E), which will give me something to do today as 90% of my workload seems to be overseeing automated processes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Any advice for making lovely phone pics of a game in progress come out less lovely? I know how to do the basic lightbox and white balancing stuff at home, but I don't bring a lightbox and an actual camera with me to the store when playing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Kain Swiftblade, Reaper figure.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Moola posted:

There is a dog in the house

Should I still steal it????

It'll make a great Knight or Titan depending on its size

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I had a can of recently purchased Rusto grey primer that worked amazingly on the first batch of models and fuzzed up on the second batch. I have no idea what's going on there, but if I have to buy a new can at least it's cheap.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SRM posted:

I don't think it can be emphasized enough how much cool stuff you can do with modern plastics:

What head did you use for this?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm no science-type dude, but if you squeeze too much moisture out of the sponge before sealing up the wet palette, wouldn't the sponge then absorb the moisture from the paint? Sort of like how if you toss a slice of bread in with cookies, the cookies will stay moist and the bread will dry out.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Painting up a silver portion of a mini and I don't really want the dingy effect you sometimes get with a black ink - I want this to be a little brighter and shinier, like it was newer and more polished. Will inking it with blue instead make it look terrible? My thought is that it might lose some of the depth you get with a black ink, but I could very easily be wrong. (Maybe a mix of purple and blue might be a better idea?)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, I'm going to be ordering a bunch of random stuff for painting experiments soon. Including the not-Doctor Who stuff as a gift for my god-daughter.

I just started painting their "not a TARDIS for copyright purposes" and let me tell you, do not be a total sperg like me and try to find the exact match for the official Pantone shade of blue. It doesn't exist in any model or craft paints as far as I can tell. Besides, it's been like nine different shades of blue over the course of its history, pick something that's good enough.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Quick practice at painting Alpha Legion in that funky metallic style. Can't exactly follow the Forge World style due to lack of airbrush, but working up layers of Guilliman Blue seemed to work out. Might look a little better on a less visually busy model.

What's the undercoat beneath the Guilliman glazes?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Wash with thined Thraka Green (or whatever the dark green wash is called now) to give it that more teal colour.

Perfect, this was the step I had been missing. Thank you.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Originally posted in the 40K thread, but it got drowned out and might be more applicable here:

quote:

Pulled the trigger on ordering some Space Wolves for a friend to use in Kill Team. He's always been really interested in 40K and loves werewolves, crazy bearded barbarians, and dwarves, so this seemed a natural fit. However, I'm a little worried that the Thunderwolves will have a gap in the middle due to the big seam. Am I best off using liquid green stuff to patch this up, or will the normal stuff do?

Also, if anyone has any other super hot tips on modeling/painting Space Wolves*, I'd appreciate them. Right now I'm pretty much just working from Duncan's guide that he posted on YouTube.

*no sheaths allowed

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Normal GS should work for patching up seams. Liquid GS is more for smoothing out surfaces, really, as it does a poor job of gap-filling. It's not a bad idea to go over your patch with LGS if you want it to blend in a little with the surrounding area, though.

Model-wise, grab some chaos marauder bits to help spice up the rank-and-file. Namely, the various axes and capes work very well with Space Wolves, though be sure to shave off any chaos iconography beforehand. Paint-wise, if you're going to be a stickler for stock color scheme, spray down the shoulder pads with yellow primer beforehand--yellow is a right proper bitch to do, and you can do half an army's worth of pads in one go.

Oh, poo poo, good call on the Marauders, I hadn't thought of that. When I get around to doing the Grey Hunters I'll definitely toss in some of those. I don't think I'm going to get a whole can of yellow spray primer for like nine dudes' shoulder pads but if he goes all in on the game after this I'll definitely make that investment. Thanks.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know if this is related to why the price is so low, but there's a 3-4 month delay on delivery.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mine is prime shipped, 2 days as usual.

I went with Standard, but it still only says 4-5 days for actual shipping. It shows the product itself as being delayed until March.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That crunching sound you hear is me smashing my Stormtalon to dust in a fit of jealous rage.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Picked up some Chaos Cultists and I'm looking to make them seem kind of unhealthy and generally off in some way, but not diseased. I'm definitely doing the flesh in a paler color than I normally do, since these guys are property of the Night Lords and barely ever see the light of day. I was thinking of doing the recesses with a red ink but I don't know if that will achieve the sort of effect that I'm looking for precisely. Any advice?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

For me, it's always been about the humidity more than the temperature. If it's above freezing I'm not out there long enough for it to matter, but if it's humid outside the priming will get hosed up.

FAKE EDIT: From the OP:

krushgroove posted:

PRIMING
2. Don't spray when there is high humidity or moisture in the air. Too much of either can really skunk up a spray session.
3. If it's cold out, paint won't stick as well (the temperature needs to be 70 degrees F or 21 degrees C), you can keep your models inside in a box ready to spray them, and take them outside for the half a minute or so it will take to spray them. Then take them back inside. The paint and the models will still be warm enough for the paint to stick properly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

jadebullet posted:

The only real way to get really good looking metal is to dip all of your figures in the molten remains of a Sisters of Battle army. It's a much better technique than TMM or NMM.

That only really works for Grey Knights, though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Tea and Hobnobs?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Casual Racism.

And complain about the weather.

I thought that was New England.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

These 3rd Street Saints Marines aren't gonna go around in blue, after all.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I picked up some Orks for a side project, and I was hoping to get a quick opinion poll going: is it better to use a black, brown, or green ink on Ork flesh? They'll be Deathskulls if that helps.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

GW Athonian Camoshade IMO, it's sort of a brownish-green rather than some of the brighter greens.

gently caress me, I had no idea this existed. Will definitely give it a shot.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

Spagetti! Puzzles!
I really wish there was a portly reaper skeleton.

My kids are really into Undertale and I would love to do up one of these. What's the miniature itself (or, more likely, the conversion bits)?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Question about metal primers: I know that leaving black primer visible on a model is lovely and obvious but is it the same for metal primers? Got a dickload of Iron Warriors I gotta paint and I'd rather prime in metallic unless it looks lovely.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, my plan was to do washes, highlighting, seal, and do the brown oil wash and white spirits trick. Getting the spray will probably save me enough aggravation to be worth it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If I'm looking to do a spray primer of a gunmetal color like Leadbelcher but I'm not into paying $20 for a can of the GW stuff, is the Army Painter Gun Metal spray my best option or is there a Rustoleum equivalent? I saw that Rusto has a "Dark Steel" but I can't tell how close it is to Leadbelcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If I use the Umber Paint + White Spirits technique on my Iron Warriors, what do I seal them with afterward?