Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

sixth and maimed posted:

I didn't log the time I spend painting my Kruleboyz Gutrippaz but judging the by number of evenings it takes me to finish one, I guestimate it at about 8-10 hours to finish one, basing and varnishing not included. I know I'm taking really long but I see it as time spent learning to paint better. I'll get faster eventually and it's something to do on an evening. Really happy with my progress so far, too.

When I was planning out a speed optimized paint job, the most useful thing was minimizing the number of steps in my process. I also chose paints with enough coverage to mostly need only a single coat.

Fix only the really obvious mistakes, and leave all the fixing to the end. It just doesn't matter if one of fifty dudes has a dab of brown on his knee or something.

Years of painting has given me somewhat better brush control compared to my early stuff, so fixing mistakes didn't take long. I got my IG down to about 13 hours for batches of ~20 models, including priming, bases and varnish. I never timed my early work, but my fastest work used to take a minimum of an hour of painting per model (+ basing). The new method is 2-3x faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've been working hard on eliminating my pile of shame the last few years. For my IG, I thought I was almost done. It's was really disheartening feeling when I opened some random bits box and found a small cache of models I'd forgotten all about. :(

I guess they're all something other than basic infantry, so they'll be interesting to paint at least.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Nessus posted:

I ordered a drill but this pin vise is new. I was having success just holding the figure in place for 2m then if necessary moving it to the kitchen with the exhaust fan to cure. I did throw in some double sided tape for securing the minis on scraps of cardboard for priming. I don’t have an official Crafts Space at my place but I am confident I can use some scrap cardboard as a backstop for priming spray

A pin vise is a small handheld manual drill (it holds the drill bit). Just clarifying, since it seemed like you might be talking about the kind of vise that holds objects to a work bench while you work on them.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I would be terrified to gently caress up models with any kind of powered drill, especially while drilling out barrels. For pinning large models I guess it would be quite useful, but I've managed without the few times I've worked on something large and brittle.