Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Al-Saqr posted:

Fellas, is it forbidden to be madly in love with your new painting setup? I wasnt expecting it to be so picturesque! :swoon: :vince:

Rate my setup plz!

For what it's worth that drying rack for brushes can still be used. Put some double sided tape, or a magent strip, on the bottom of it and stick it to something upside down. You can stick your brushes in there pretty firmly and they'll hang from it without dropping. That's I recommend a magnet or Velcro, so you can pull it down and put it in your table as a rack in use then use then hang it back up for drying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

gesso is really thick and will clog details, don't use it.

Any model primer from Vallejo, Scale75, etc is perfect to be brushed on.

Professor Shark posted:

Gesso can be gritty too, it is worse than painting directly on plastic

You can absolutely use it, just needs some working which may make it not worthwhile.

Gesso guide

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Jonny Nox posted:

Note: if you’re going to the art store to buy gesso, you’re probably passing the hardware store which sells spray primer for way cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5edMoq7YjY

Get the stuff in the can on the left.

Fair enough, but this works as both brush on and through an air gun. And price per oz probably gets your more via the gesso format.

I use this homemade bit, but I work for an art and craft company so I have access to some strange stuff.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've decided I don't care about most algorithm bating stuff anymore. Unless you already have an insane sub count you kind of need to do it if you want to get into the space. There's obviously a line, like that ninjon guys thumbnails are so unbelievably obnoxious I can't actually bring myself to watch his videos but as far as engagement titles, big red circles/arrows... whatever. It's personal taste I guess.

My problem with them is when the pendulum swings to full capitalism. I remember ninjon talking about golden paints. I found them at blick for a fraction of the price of Amazon. I get that affiliate links make them money, but when you're deleting comments and just all in on the 'money above all' I'm less inclined to believe a damned thing.

Same with the guys that got in deep with speed paints. They're fine, but then overlooking issues for the sale of the dollar makes their stuff an instant drop for me.

Faust's painting clinic has been great, and I do like him revisiting the same concept multiple times over years because you can approaching glazing in different ways as you learn to mix techniques, and he does a good job of showing the different iterations and uses of techniques as a result. And since there's no face cam, I never have to worry about wierd click bait or skits. Him and Vince and great for learning, even high level techniques.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah but that's the whole thing with any kind of teaching medium like that. You as a smart person don't see Alton Brown using a specific brand's knife and activate the neuron to go buy it on Amazon, right?

That's probably accurate, I can't think of any other hobby I'm involved in off the top of my head that has a place for that kind of branding. Like my coffee and and cooking stuff tends to either be pretty strict about product recommendations and make a point to source the best pricing regardless of brand or source, or they're effectively brand agnostic, though I've deffo seen some people going all in on their own bespoke middle grade junk.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Like we're people commenting on a youtube video that you can buy the paints cheaper off not-amazon and he was deleting those comments? Or something else?

Exactly that, dude was deleting comments directly into people to cheaper alternatives instead of going "hey if you want to support be, I get something if you buy it here, but if money is an issue there's an alternative"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

yeah, I cancelled my amazon prime sub and I'm trying to wean myself off that convenience because you do end up paying more for stuff on amazon as a whole

You would be surprised how, even beyond the shipping, stuff on Amazon typically isn't the cheapest. I dumped prime over a year ago and without it, anything I resort to prime for still arrives within a week. But looking up stuff I had wish listed on prime led me to a number of place that were just outright cheaper. Hell, target gives you a flat 5% if you have their credit card. For crafting stuff, places like blick.com are great to get artist items that aren't price blaoted because it's "specially made for mini painters"

Dropping Amazon just meant I become more critical about whether or not I needed something, and that one extra step added to the compulsive 'buy stuff' way of thinking was enough to break that habit.

Also I had way less cardboard box waste just piling up.]

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Big Willy Style posted:

Marco - superb videos, explains concepts well and my gf always laughs at his accent

What is his accent?

I feel like someone took an Italian and stuck them deep Gaelic Ireland and taught them English. I love the dude but when he speaks I feel like I'm on a aural acid trip.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Re: painting the bits you can't see on mini.

Y'all should really see the wild poo poo gunpla painters get up to. Those dude will paint up the interior skeleton that will be completely covered by armor plates. Sub assembly for non visible bits is the least :eng101: thing people can do.

I mean, you could be painting in the side of a Titan with imperial chants to empower the thing.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The French Army posted:

When assembly was complete I tallied up all my logged hours so far and construction alone took 463 hours.

I also ordered a custom carrying case for it, and even including that in the cost of the model it's still cheaper than Forgeworld by about half.

I mean don't discount the labor you put in there. You're talking just shy of 12 weeks of a day job. You're talking about something like 5 figures in labor hours at a reasonable rate.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

a DIY project cost more in labor and materials than just buying the same thing from a store? Woah wait hold up i've never heard of this happening

Hey, c'mon. I did the flooring in my own house and the labor cost was only double what a pro would have cost me.

This is like... The cost of getting a mold made for a sprue tree.

The French Army posted:

Quite right, if I were to charge myself what I make at my day job I would have to pay myself nearly $13,000 in labor. This is one of the reasons why I plan to use a cutting machine for my next project.

But how much would you pay to learn the lessons you did? See. With all that education you got you should probably still owe someone money.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ez8 posted:

I painted my Imperial Fists like this:

1. Vallejo Red Oxide primer
2. White zenithal
3. Vallejo Transparent Yellow

Optional Steps:
4. Weathering with chips of brown and light yellow
5. Grim filter and mineral spirits

You do the yellow first and then fill in everything else.

Figure 1.1:

That yellow is dope.

Also, 5 stars for a beaky.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

Another FFIX character with the serial number filed off, Captain Steiner

poo poo that so good. Not enough rust tho.

Lumpy posted:

If you are getting artist acrylics, Golden is amazing, and they are 100% employee owned!

Fun fact, I work for a basic craft art company that purports to be founded by one of the Golden family. I mean, I can substantiate that claim as 1: the founder died a year before I started here and 2: it's not like the Golden website talks about the family behind the business.

That be said, the dude's last name was Golden and we do make art and craft stuff among other.... things. To hear his daughter tell the story, her late father left Golden paints, went to Crayola, and created the liquitex brand because the formulas for the paint were in his head.

That being said Golden paints are dope. Use those.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Since people were just talking about wargaming/mini painting YouTubers, apparently Luke from Geek Gaming Scenics etc. announced he's leaving GGS and the world of YT hobby stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9LJqK22aHk

The tl;dr is that he's basically burned out and has decided to (in his own words) go out "into the real world and get a normal job".

I wouldn't be surprised ro see more of that happening in general. Plenty of people in mainstream media dip out and work normie jobs, especially as they develop families. The commitment that YT and social media requires to keep money coming in must be exhausting, doubly so since a change in the algorithm can leave content makers fighting to make money.

Patreon seems to have offered an avenue out for many but, much like any job, sometime you need to leave the industry entirely and just do something that doesn't demand so much.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gameenvy sells replacements also nobleknight

well, they're not *exactly* the same so you just kind of have to deal with that but it's all precut so it's fine

Game envy's pallet is pretty dope in it's own right.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wangsucker 69 posted:

I bought a couple sets of these brushes from Amazon and they are loving great beater brushes, super pointy and snappy and I love painting with them.

https://a.co/d/jcsx230

Hope someone else gives them a try and likes them as much as I do

I knew before I opened it they'd be the transon brushes.

It's ridiculous how good those things are.

They have a watercolor set with multiple brush types that's also clutch if you need some square, filbert, or fan brushes .

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Toebone posted:

Anyone have one of those ~$100 airbrush booths off Amazon? I'm rearranging my office and thinking of picking one up, I'd use my airbrush a lot more if it wasn't down in my workshop.

I think Barbartos Rex on YouTube reviews it. Dude has seems pretty thorough with his reviews and such.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

You're about to get suggestions on vortex mixers of a couple varieties from online stores like Amazon, to eBay to Ali Express.

There's also a cyclonic mixer like the one available from Green Stuff World which is alright.

Then some goon is going to arrive suggesting some kind of crazy lifehack shaker they've come up with and everyone will be like :stare:

Strapping the paint bottle to an oscillating saw isn't stupid!

It's only unsafe.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

That's heckin rad. I have a kill team of those dudes just because they look rad and you're killing it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I dunno guy. It's got meth right in the name.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ominous Jazz posted:

It could be both!

I don't wanna be to mean to these bolds because my friend gave me these to paint

Being relatively new to minis, and not having actually painted in like 2 years, I feel like you should see how much you're working uphill here.

This is a mini I got from Reaper, thrown in as a random grab bag with an order I made. It is probably the lowest quality thing I have, like his face appears to be melting.

And I'm using Reaper paints, which aren't amazing but aren't terrible but they're better than trying to use craft acrylics.

A better mini, I forget where from but I'm pretty sure it's metal. But this is using craft paints. Like dollar store craft trash paint. The image is potato because it's a crop and I don't have this thing anymore, but you can see how craft paints have no coverage.

This is the same figure, but with real paints, mostly Vallejo.

I'm not amazing, but holy poo poo does having a decent model and paint just do so much to smooth out the process. I'd have given up this whole thing day 1 if I was suffering through those kobolds.

To compare, these are the last things I did about 18 months and it was just primed and slapped with speed paints. Minimal work.

Please, for all that is good, do yourself a favor and get decent stuff if you want to do this. That you can even identify the the subject is a miracle, you'll have a blast on the other models you have, just stop running the race backwards and blind folded.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 8, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Bo-Pepper posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure this hobby could bankrupt a person if they’re not careful.

This is just Kickstarter.

This doesn't include the pledge manager afterwards or all the poo poo I found on eBay/Amazon. Or even paints or brushes.

If I had to do napkin math it's probably 2500+ dollars.

I haven't painted anything in 2 years.

I bought 100 bucks worth of minis from Etsy printers like a month ago.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I went on a tear at miniature market during some clearance and bought as much as I could for discontinued games.

Others: seven Deadly sins and.... Wrath of kings?

I'm pretty sure I spent 50 bucks on an eBay set of 2 boxes and 1 pre order figure just because I wanted the pre order figure.

I have problems. Don't be me.

Once I get done doing work on my house I'm going to renovate the attic into a dedicated hobby den.

Then I'll be able to paint all these loving werewolves.

:suicide101:

To be fair they're sick werewolves even if CMON gave the girl wolves boobies.

http://wrathofkings.com/ks/factions/house-of-goritsi/

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I love the comparison of.more expensive minis.

Pro racing bikes, working musicians, high end eateries and so own.

Meanwhile I'm 2-3k in and I'm in a poorly lit room hunched over a 1 inch plastic dude using the rear end hairs of a Russian ferret to run colored acrylic on it. As opposed eating a dope meal, riding a horse, going to a sports event, playing a gig or racing a bike?

The price isn't as wild as other hobbies but it's also a different scale of engagement.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

No we're talking. Lemme just bust out my wet pallet on the sound team's mixer while my band gets the sound check going.

Imma use the bass from the speakers to mix my paints up real good.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Y'all. Gesso mixed with acrylic medium.

Goes on sloppy and dries like shrink wrap.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I started painting in 2018 or so?

But it works so god damned well. People sleep on artist tools and resources for bespoke mini specific stuff. A lot of it is just conveniences but I'm pretty sure most brush on primer is just an in house blend of gesso.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

SiKboy posted:

As for the transparent magic effects; If you want to take advantage of the transparency you need to make sure you dont put opaque paint on those bits. Mask them with poster tack or similar before doing your undercoat on the rest of the figure. You might be able to get away without undercoating the clear parts at all, failing that use a clear varnish as an undercoat. Then use a transparent paint/ink/wash (dealers choice depending what you have/want). If you want you could start by pushing a thinned down white paint into the recesses, then when you glaze transluscent paint over the whole thing the internal parts of the flames (where the white is) will be brighter than the parts further away from the centre (which is how real life heat sources work, but this is magic so it doesnt need to be realistic!). Cant really go wrong with colours for magic flames, but I'm personally passing fond of cold ghostly blues, verdigris-type turquoise or a neon yellow or green. Light drybrush with a white/light grey if you want the flames to look ghostly at the edges or a black if you want them to look smokey, or dont bother if you dont want either.

Agree with all this, Ink or a wash or really thinned paint is really the way to go. And doing very thin layers is key..it's far too easy to get impatient and putting too much on.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

gesso is just a kind of primer, and the distinction is more in the application than the composition. it's hard, thin, generally white, and can be sanded smooth. "

I actually forget that I often use black gesso for prime. Means I can prime then zenithal with ink without having to base cost after or anything.

The nice thing about the white gesso is that you can dump a bunch of ink into it to tint it for undercoating and primer in one shot.

I know some companies make color primer but the white plus ink plus medium means you can take a very small quantity if it and tint the hell out it. I have gone more than a few shades into one color, but that's one of the first things I want to mess with when I get back into it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

1. these would be so much easier to base with an airbrush :( wish i had space for one

Makeup airbrush.

If all you need it for is base coating they'll work great. They're small, have a little electric pump. Issue is you don't really get to mess with PSI controls on most of them.

I grabbed this one a while back for when I get back into things. It has low med and high power settings to psi control, which is more than most.

For a spray booth you can make a pretty solid one with a cardboard box, box fan, and HVAC filter if you don't want to shell out for those portable ones. otherwise those portable ones seems to work pretty well.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

this post has a soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMO9azmKNU

thanks for listenin' ya'll

I say this with all the love in my heart; gently caress you.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

The texture palette thing is a complete waste of time and material. Use some particle board or a random piece of balsa wood that I found in a scrap pile.

Do you know what hobby you're in?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Hey man you should probably thin you-

God drat it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oh hey this is by the guy on YouTube that paints outside and gives little gouache lessons. He's very adorable.

I love looking at channels like these for inane stats.

500k subs.
328 videos.
Most recent video was a few weeks ago.
Oldest video was 14 years ago.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Radiation Cow posted:

Lol, thanks. The secret is to be on multiple painting discords with people better than you and feel like a complete failure 90% of the time.

High-level display painting is wild, there are people doing some truly insane stuff. It's really taken off as an art form in the past decade or so.

You gotta do the opposite too. Go into eBay and Etsy and see the painted works people are successfully selling and realize, hey, you're in the right side of the bell curve and that's really all you should aspire to.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

grassy gnoll posted:

You spent a lot of time writing that post about how you've convinced yourself not to paint that you could have used to paint.

:hmmyes:

The supplies can be thrown into a milk crate or something and taken to the shed. Nothing says you can't stand at a table and paint. It's probably better for you to stand for an hour or so. Or sit anyway and work at chest instead of waist level?

The paint work can be split in and out. Go outside to prime and do airbrush stuff, take the one figure back inside for detail and brush work.

And if painting small fiddly bit is something that a problem...

Paint a bust?

There's a million reasons not to paint. No one actually has to do it though. I like watching people do wood work and craft projects, I'm never gonna do any of that, but that's ok?

Watching YouTubers make cool poo poo is the modern day version of my dad watching Bob Vila restore a dumbwaiter on a Victorian house built before man invneted the power drill. He will never make one but it's still cool to watch. So you can accept that you like seeing it but don't actually like doing it. That's ok.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

I don't think the language we all use """"ironically""" like 'pile of shame' is all that helpful really, either.

Pile of potential.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah... :smith:

I did have the thought to just sell everything off because of how I've ignored it, but I feel like I'd regret doing that even more.

The Bob Vila comparison is pretty fitting. I like seeing the process of something get painted, or when someone does a kitbash and makes a custom model. Problem is that it does prompt me into wanting to try and make something similar.A couple of weeks ago, I found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXQBtFwSTos), and it prompted me to start browsing Green Stuff World's texture rolling pins.

I dunno if I brought it up in the post that I linked, but I still really haven't used the airbrush that much, but one of my big reasons for buying it was to make priming a lot easier (in that I can get away from rattle-can primers), and try out things like color-shift paints and inks. I also learned about the slap-chop method as well, and thought about trying that.

I at the very least want to try and make a genuine effort with something before I make a decision on giving up on painting. Right now I mainly want to work on the Chaos Space Marines, so I'll look into getting some of the Limonene plastic glue.

Have you considered entering into something with external expectations? Would a competition push you to actually make something because there's a deadline or would that pressure blow your stress out the window?

Cause I don't wanna see another post until you sell that poo poo off and do the meme of "eats Cheetos while being disappointed that parallel bars hosed up the landing and only scored a 7" or you've got paint on something to share with the class.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

It seems like it's fine if you're not a contributing author.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Anything taking a contrast paint probably benefits from a zenithal of some kind anyway.

So black or grey with white ink after is your best bet.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

It's short for acrylic so... Ay krull is the superior choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumpy posted:

I'd be more worried about electronics from Ali Express (or Amazon for that matter) exploding and killing me. Then again :tinfoil:

As opposed to what?

I never understood this, all this poo poo comes out of the same place. If it's not the same factory, it's the same spec sheet their working from. I've pulled a wide range of Chinese made consumer goods from shelves to compare and half the poo poo my place makes is poo poo they pull off the shelf, send to China who then "reverse engineers" for us as their "exclusive" client.

No no, please ignore the samples we sent you that have another company's branding on it, so strange.

Especially when it comes to the consumer goods this hobby uses. The air brushes, tanks, files, drills, brushes, handles, wet pallets, dry pallets, cutting mats, ultrasonic cleaners, all of that stuff is effectively the same. I once had a small electric product that was a mirror image of a competitor. Not as a way to avoid or differentiate, but because the cellphone photo snapped of the diagram was reversed so the copycat was made that way.

The only concern is the really cheap poo poo or the really expensive stuff. The cheap stuff because it's probably poisonous. The expensive stuff because its also poisonous. Don't like artist paints. Don't like exposed wiring terminals.