Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
RIP old painting thread. Long live the painting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool I'll be the guy to immediately follow a bunch of amazing models with my own weak sauce

Maelok the Dreadbound:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Skarsnik you have been, and always shall be, my nerdcrush.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Imagedump pic spam, :dwi:

Looks like most of my old 40k pics are mysteriously gone, bummer. Basically this is just an assortment of random stuff I still had copies of.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually really like the GW drybrushes. Overpriced, naturally, but they work well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Been a while since I painted anything new for the Ultramarines and their moderately expendable IG buddies! I was able to trade a friend for one of the old Skullz Techpriests, and I had some Servitors lying around so I painted up the unit of them:

Old school style owns, SRM owns, everything owns

Edit: those shouldn't be lost on the end of a page.

Edit edit: Krylon Matte varnish sucks loving rear end and if you're thinking of using it, kill yourself instead.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 20, 2015

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

drat dude, that's an impressive force painted quick! The short static grass is a really nice touch; I never would have thought to look for it when it really seems like a no-brainer now that you mention it.

Danke mucho broham :respek:

Is Krylon Matte varnish fogging up for you? I've never thought of using it since Testors is so solid.

It's not fogging up, but I've done 4 applications and it hasn't cut the gloss shine at all. I shook it for a solid 5 minutes to be absolutely sure it was mixed, still no effect. Dullcote is getting harder to find locally, so I was hoping to find an alternative.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

:siren: Paging Fyrbrand :siren:

What recipe do you use for the armour and skin? Got a single salamander to paint and not done one before

Oh god it's been so long since painting them. :negative:

GW Snot green for the armor. I don't think I washed it or anything. Snot green + GW golden yellow + P3 Menoth White Highlight for highlights. Mix in more as you go, you know the drill.

I think the skin was just Codex Grey given several heavy washes of Badab Black or Nuln Oil. Highlights with the grey again, and I probably mixed in some Astronomican Grey too.

IIRC Warpstone Glow is a perfect match for old Snot Green.

Hope that helps!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's what you needed input for re: painting a Salamander? You're a monster, Skarsnik.

And by that I mean it looks really, really good.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Warmachine/Hordes painting crossposte

Raluk Moorclaw and his lil' jack marshalled Buccaneer buddy.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Great work on these dudes; the Troll has a shitload of character, and I don't see worn out/rusty 'jacks that often.

Thanks man. It was nice to bring in some old 40k painting techniques. You should track down PV's cygnar models- they are super worn/weathered and look really dope.

Skarsnik posted:

Yup, those are cool. All of your stuff rules

Time for a big group shot me thinks..

Thanks dude. Your fantasy tentacle man was super legit btw.

I'm pretty busy for the immediate future but I would like to do a big group shot. I will keep that in mind for sure.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Cross-post: I (mostly) finished my Captain. This was my second attempt at blending instead of layering, and I learned a lot. Pretty happy with him, although I'm seeing a couple of details I need to go back and clean up.

This shouldn't be getting drowned out by theorypainting posts. Looks dope man, gj on the blends.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SRM you are fighting the good fight.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those are nice looking Eldar fightmans, though I wish the base rims had more solid coverage.

Here's some Trollblood Warders I just finished:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hangar18 minis has a coupon code right now for free shipping on photo backdrops. I have one that I'm very happy with. Nice way to save a few bucks on something that will up your photo game for minimal effort. Code is RCON2015, good through May 2nd.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I stopped in some random out of town LGS and found 3 pots of Charadon Granite :hellyeah:

No Boltgun Metal though. :(

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

drat your eyes.

At least there are good alternatives to Boltgun Metal. There isn't poo poo for Charadon Granite.

What is this good Boltgun replacement you speak of? The new GW metals I've tried have been poo poo. PP stuff is ok but not nearly as legit as Boltgun was. I tried VGC and wasn't impressed either.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hello, here is a mobile sacrificial shrine where voodoo/aztec gatormen sacrifice prisoners to cull their souls and power their infernal magics. It was big and annoying to paint but I am happy with the results.

Thank you for looking at my big dumb model.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

That is some goddamn sexy marble, gaylord.

Yeah that marble is somehow my fav part of that model. Great job overall of course.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In preparation for selling them, I took a bunch of pics of my orks. So here's some image spam for some of the army.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

That rules skarsnik

Robot Gullyman owns, Skarsnik owns, everything owns.

Those salamander dudes are pretty sweet too especially Vulkan. It almost makes me want to paint some salamander stuff I still have sitting around. Almost.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I'm not part of the black rims crew, but I'm gonna say it's the best color for those bases. White or grey make it look too much like you just left the primer on.

Why do you say things that hurt me, SRM

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I pour out a bit of wash each time I paint in memory of my old pot of Charadon Granite, my favorite paint. It was a curious mutant greenbrowngray that seemed to just work well with anything.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-replacement-for-charadon-granite.html

This is my favorite paint ever. Found a retail pack of six on eBay a couple years ago that I keep sealed and protected like rare jewels or some poo poo. Such a great paint. That and Asurmen Blue wash are the two discontinued paints essential for my trolls. I can probably replace the blue wash but Charadon is irreplaceable.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

You're probably thinking Thornwood Green. It's a close enough match.

Not really the same. It's really more a dark grey-black than anything else.

Yeah, Thornwood is the closest match, especially if I mix in Codex Grey or something similar. Luckily I won't have to bother with that anymore for a very long time now. :hellyeah:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here are some Trollblood Highwaymen I just finished. They are cool models but pretty annoyingly detailed. I also painted Braylen Wanderheart, who is a solo highwayman model that makes them even better if she's nearby.

Thanks for looking, k bye

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Not enough love for these guys. The one with the cowboy hat and the pair of pistols is my favorite of the bunch, even moreso than the character in the duster.

Thanks man. Trollbloods remind me of 40k orks in a way- not in terms of playstyle or anything, but in the sense that they often have fun, characterful sculpts. I always say you can tell when a sculptor is really into their subject, and that definitely applies to most Trollblood models.

edit: I mean look at these things

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Post more cool Salamander mans since I no longer paint them, thx in advance.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted some Cephalyx Warmachine mandollies. It's a new army for me, so I'm still figuring them out. The Agitator (yellow solo dude) looks so much better in person. I suck at the pictures.

Edit: the blue Trollblood monstrosity is a conversion using leftover parts from my main army. Here's the original studio version:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted some Northkin Fire Eaters recently. I took a stab at some OSL since these models basically demand it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted a Cephalyx Mind Benders unit. They are probably the best thing in Cephalyx as they blow up the world (by having drudges blow up to fuel crazy mind magics). :getin:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Those things are loving baller and I want to see more pictures of them.

Thanks man. That was about the only decent shot of them I got, unfortunately.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Those things are loving baller and I want to see more pictures of them.

Can I interest you in a Warden monstrosity???

I'm really happy with the super pale skin. Wish I could get a good pic that shows the highlighting and stuff, I'm pretty happy with how it looks irl.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SRM your stuff is the only thing that makes me miss my deffskulls.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Skip all the hosed up chemicals and just use the tip of a hobby knife to scrape out the crevices if it's that important.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted Doomshaper3 and his scroll-carrying lil' bro. He's a super cool and good warlock for Trollbloods. He takes the usual Trollblood durability and turns it up to 11. Also he has apparently been juicing, as he's like twice the size as his previous incarnations. I'm pretty happy with him, as well as with my improvement over time.

These are all three versions, in the order I painted them It's helpful sometimes to go back and see how much you've improved:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Enjoy it while you can. It's almost time for richyp to go disappear in his cocoon for another year or two. :(

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was just messing with you richy, definitely didn't need to explain your absence from posting on these dumb mandolly threads! Nonetheless good to see you back.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If anyone here would like to win a full card case from KR Multicase, I'm raffling off a new one for charity. Details here!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Took some pics of old stuff I need to unload, but figured I'd spam them here too. Because I can, dammit.

Salamanders <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've found that as long as you leave the can inside, you're fine for priming outside. If you let the can get too hot/cold that's when problems happen.

I do live in Florida, though, so I've never had the opportunity to prime when it's below 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

This. I've primed white in 20F degree weather with no problems. Humidity is the real problem in my experience.