Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I once had to clean out my nozzle with a toothpick in order to get dried paint out.

With the nozzle off, and needle out , you should be able to see through it from end to end. Can you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I took the nozzle and gently rorated it on the end of a toothpick. It was the only way i could get the gunk out of it. This was my .18mm nozzle, and i just couldnt get the paint out otherwise.

Edit: MSP's suggestion would work too, but start at gentle. Don't be banging it against a table.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jadebullet posted:

Got my brand new Sotar 2020 up and running. It works great, and I really wish I would have started airbrushing sooner.

The only issue that I am having is that the brush sprays paint as soon as I push down on the button. It's dual action, so it should just be spraying air until I pull back on the lever. It is a brand new airbrush, so I might not have something set up properly. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Loosen the collet (the nut that applies pressure to hold the needle). Make sure the needle is slid all the way forward while the trigger is at rest. Then retighten the collet.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I bought my detail needle/nozzle for my Patriot at Michael's with the 40% off coupon from their website. It was like 6 bucks.

If you dont live in the US, there might be similar bigger craft and hobby shops that stock Badger.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I ran out of floor cleaner, and used my Purple Power. It didnt smell as nice as Mr. Clean, but it worked!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

First chance to paint in five months! Got 6 dudes basecoated, and got the pilot base coated. I already had the armored suit that far.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhhhh! Thanks for the nice words! Coming from my miniature painting goonbros it means a lot.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I got another 2.5 hours in! I love painting!

I need to rust the hell out of the smoke stack on the robot, work on the bases, and learn how to paint women's faces.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Give them time for the solvent to evaporate (a day or two), then varnish as normal.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So I'm trying to make an ink wash to match this video, but it's in german and I don't know what the gently caress. When it says Ink + White Spirits, is that basically Future, or do I need to buy more stupid art supplies that I'll use once a year?

Video is linked to the proper time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo3M1U0Nwl0&t=166s

Edit: Also, is airbrush advice now basically the same as in the OP? Painting this tank made me want to kill myself, and now I want an airbrush.

That looks like an oil wash and not ink. I think Lukas Studio black is an oil paint, and white spirits is the same as odorless mineral spirits in the US.

Oil washes are awesome and cheap as gently caress. You should do them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Last year, i replaced my 12 year old bottle of Future Floor Finish. It served me well.

Edit: vvvvvv premixed and ready to go for 10 dollars a QUART. It is a good deal for miniature painters already.

Editedit: 27oz is not quite a quart.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 14, 2016

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I have seen a real product like this that attaches to a Sawzall.

I will buy one if i ever buy a Sawzall.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

signalnoise posted:

http://mixkwik.com/

I have this it is fantastic

Oh my god, they made an attachment for shaking Vallejo sized bottles?!

<rev up my sawzall at 1130pm to shake some paint waking up 2 kids under the age of 4 and one enraged wife>

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I like my Rafael 8404s, and Masters brush soap.

I also used Turpenoid Natural to save one of my brushes that i set aside, forgot about... and dried rock hard.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

berzerkmonkey posted:

It worked for acrylic paints?

It did. It didn't appear to damage the brush. I still use that brush all the time.

As for sizes, i have a 00, 0, 2x 1 and 2x 2. The points are so good that i rarely use the 00 or the 0. I only use them for the smallest of details.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 5, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Part of the Berserk storyline is just Guts murdering tons of normal humans! A small part...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I use a rechargeable screwdriver with an adaptor i found on amazon for my pinning. It spins at like 300rpm, which is fast enough, but not so fast that i drill a hole thru my thumbnail...

... which i did with a dremel. It hurt so much i dry heaved.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
SRM just evolved to his next level!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think US PLASTICS is also a good source.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Your ships make me want to play Xwang.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Welp. 'Tom of Finland' is now in my google dossier.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am making good progress on my Dropfleet PHR:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Below is a list of the best-loved paints from any range. This list is compiled from posts both here and on other forums (mainly CMON), plus a few recommendations from various painting videos. I broke it up by fairly-arbitrarily putting each one into a basic color, and within each color, they're sorted roughly from light to dark. A :h: indicates paints that lots of people love. If there are paints people think I missed, let me know (in the thread or via PM) and I'll add them.

Whites/Greys/Blacks
P3 Morrow White (93073): Pure white; very good coverage
:h: VMC Ivory (70.918): Non-chalky almost-white
:h: VMC Deck Tan (70.986): Good for highlights and mixing
Reaper Linen White (9061)
Reaper Ghost White (9063)
Reaper Snow Shadow (9021)
VMC Neutral Grey (70.992)
VMC German Grey (70.995): Near-black
Reaper Noir Black (9289): Near-black
P3 Thamar Black (93072): Pure black

Browns
VMC Pale Sand (70.837): Useful for skin highlights, eyes, teeth
VMC Iraqui [sic] Sand (70.819)
P3 Rucksack Tan (93062)
VMC Brown Sand (70.876)
VMA Armor Brown (71.041)
P3 Bloodstone (93029)
Reaper Woodstain Brown (9160)
Reaper Walnut Brown (9136)
:h: VMC German Camo Black-Brown (70.822): Very dark neutral brown, good for shading
VMC Hull Red (70.985)
Reaper Brown Liner (9064)

Reds
VMC Carmine Red (70.908): Bright, warm red
VMC Red #33 (70.926): Fairly bright, cool red (just a bit darker than VMC Carmine Red)
VMA Ferrari Red (71.085)
Reaper Old West Rose (9283): Good mixer for shading skin
VGA Bloody Red (72.710)
Reaper Bloodstain Red (9133)
VMC Black Red (70.859)

Oranges
Reaper Amber Gold (9032)
P3 Ember Orange (93023): Good for shading sand

Yellows
Reaper Golden Blonde (9033)
P3 Cygnus Yellow (93025): Non-chalky bright yellow

Greens
VGC Scurvy Green (72.027)

Cyans
Reaper Marine Teal (9077)
Reaper Surf Aqua (9078)
Reaper Seafoam Blue (9195)
:h: P3 Coal Black (93046)
Citadel Incubi Darkness

Blues
VMC Dark Prussian Blue (70.899)

Purples
Reaper Violet Red (9026)
Reaper Pale Violet (9027)
VMC Violet Red (70.812)
VMC Blue Violet (70.811)

Flesh Tones
Reaper Tanned Skin Triad (9043-5)
Reaper Dark Elf Triad (9163-5)

Metallics
:h: VMA Silvers (71.062-5)
Reaper True Silver (9207)
Reaper Aged Pewter (9196)
P3 Pig Iron (93074)
Vallejo Metal Color (77.xxx): Water-based metallics generally considered among the best Vallejo metallics
:h: Scale75 Metal & Alchemy (SSE-009, SSE-010, SSE-021): Much finer mica flakes (the shiny stuff) than other brands

Washes/Transparent
:h: Tamiya Clear Red (X-27): Great for blood effects
Citadel Drankenhof Nightshade: Good for shading bluish whites
Citadel Agrax Earthshade: Good dark-brown wash
Scale75 Inktense Chestnut: A less glossy version of GW's old Chestnut ink
Army Painter Strong Tone Ink: Good dark-brown wash (very close to Agrax Earthshade)
Army Painter Dark Tone Ink: Good black wash
:h: VMC Smoke (70.939)
:h: P3 Armor Wash (93012): Bluish-black wash

Thanks for this post. Does anyone have some favorite greens? ... I might have ordered a Age of Sigmar Sylvaneth army (Treemen! :black101:)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I bought a VMC Ivory and I find it impossible to use. Maybe I need to shake the poo poo out of it? It's so thin and useless.

It could be old as poo poo/frozen/ruined. Try to get a replacement?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

This is what i have been painting over the last 2 nights!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just have your painting queue stored in KR cases enclosed within a closet.

This afternoon, I am going to try and finish my Guild Ball Engineers, and work on the beetle.

Always be painting!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Age of Sigmar Painting Post!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Never forget the holy words of Jocephus the Younger: "Thin your loving paints."

Also, build a wet palette.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I struggled with thinning paints, and i didnt mix many paints until I got a wet palette.

It should cost you like 3 dollars (cost of baking parchment from grocery store). I really think they are very helpful in keeping the consistency of your paints from fluctuating as you paint.

Edit: if you don't end up liking it, you can use the parchment to produced baked goods... it is a win/win.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 13, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hoppe's 9 Solvent is amazing for cleaning your nozzle. Next Level Painting showed this, and it really works.

I just did it and i was amazed how much gunk was stuck up in my junk.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Super Glue: Loctite Ultragel Control Super Glue
Plastic Cement: Revell Contacta Pro or Tamiya

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Throw it away in three months. Old super glue is also a problem.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good iridescent or color shifting airbrush paints?

I just got Alarielle for my birthday, and I want to paint the beetle in a way where it is black, but has a purple or blue shine to it, similar to real life beetles.

I would paint it with a faintly metallic paint, then follow Lord Duncan's youtube video.

Edit: Whatever you do, test the approach on some plastic spoons. That is not a model you want to experiment on.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 23, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Pop the nozzle off and submerge it in a solvent. Try something like simple green first. Then step up to stronger if needed.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
High Roller Trigger is awesome. Thanks for the heads up, Badger Airbrush Goons.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

GW loving got me to buy their smack after 15 years of being clean.

Sylvaneth just look so awesome.

Edit: Hat tip to Next Level Painting, home of John Cena gifs and vaping, for inspiration on the colors.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 1, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Vallejo Surface Primer, Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. They work great. I just found out about the thinner recently. It really helps, and no it isn't just water.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
http://www.models-workshop.com/2016/light-arch-part-1/

Be part of the one true lighting solution, The Light Arch!

Here is mine:

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Didnt someone do an awesome Alpha Legion with metallics and transparent blue green?

I will try and find it when i get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have a basement full of 20 year old CSM. I think its time to strip some minis!