Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cease to Hope posted:

in this analogy, GW is the AMPTP.

Yeah, I know. The argument isn't that recasting is bad for GW it's that it's bad for artists and, potentially, the consumer in the end. The AMPTP is terrible but they represent the people who get film and TV made, those companies are a necessary evil but they are not obligated to be lovely and exploitative about it. Same goes for GW. Ultimately the problem is capitalism and the late stage capitalist drive for endless growth at the expense of everything else, but we're not going to solve that problem here, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve only recently started painting minis and I’ve been priming with a matte white Krylon rattle can because that’s what I had. Is there some rule of thumb about when you want to prime with black vs white vs gray? I’ve only been painting age of sail ships and I’ve been liking the way the colors are coming out with the white undercoat, is there something about painting little dudes that makes a darker primer more desirable?

Black primer hides the parts of the model that you miss or just can't quite reach.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've had good luck with oranges under golds as well in the past and I've heard of people using green under brass to give it a different sort of tone.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I was doing an airbrush priming marathon last night with my Badger Patriot and at some point the primer started bubbling out around the threads of the needle cap. I stripped the airbrush down and gave the front end a soak in Simple Green to get the primer off and have just given the needle a good once over to rid it of a little bit of dried primer so I think I've managed to get everything back to where it should be (once I reoil the needle at least) but I'm not sure what caused the problem in the first place. I did tighten the needle cap at one point last night because it was a little loose and seemed to be having a negative impact on the spray but now I'm not so sure. It's probably a really simple and common thing but I just don't have enough experience to know and while it's low stakes right now while I'm laying down black primer, as soon as I start trying to build a zenithal or base coat, that potential spattering is just not going to work.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well I tried putting some teflon tape on the threads of my needle and something went completely wrong with it and now I can't get any airflow out of the needle. Everything looks clear but the water I was testing it with just bubbles into the cup now and I'm at a complete loss. I might have to just send it in to Badger and have them look at it, I just don't know what's wrong at this point.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

In my experience this tends to happen because the nozzle is clogged. The air has to go somewhere, and it’s next closest outlet is typically up through the hopper.

Not sure what the nozzle situation on your airbrush is, but on my iwata I can remove the nozzle specifically. I then soak it in airbrush cleaner and use a tiny airbrush nozzle cleaning needle to get whatever clumped up or dried paint is clogging the nozzle (always go in from behind). Then I pop the nozzle back in and reassemble the airbrush.

That's what I was thinking but as near as I can tell the drat thing is clean, it soaked in Simple Green for a few hours last night before getting a scrub with a toothbrush and I can stick a toothpick through the opening fine. I do have a big-rear end bottle of the Badger spray through airbrush cleaner that I can soak it in, if that's the kind of cleaner you're talking about.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Silhouette posted:

why would you put tef tape on the needle? You tape up the air intake's threads and lubricate the needle

I didn't put tape on the needle itself, that was stupid phrasing on my part, I put the tape on the threads at the front of the body where the needle cap screws on.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't know that it's the bearing, though I suppose it certainly could be, but I think that site might have lead me to what my issue is. Looking at their review for the Patriot, and Spray Gunner's part's diagram show a tip (labeled B on the Spray Gunner chart) and I just... don't have that part. At all. The review shows it coming in a separate plastic tube which I definitely do not have. Have Badger, like, changed the design or did I somehow get an airbrush without that (presumably) important part?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't think it's stuck in the head cap or spray regulator, having been loving with them as part of trying to solve this problem but it's certainly possible that at some point I had one and it fell without my noticing. Probably the most likely scenario if I'm being honest. Easy enough to replace, at least.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Babby's first zenithal highlighting is nearly complete:

Still need to add the white step (and prime the Boy that I missed entirely) and decide whether or not to give the Deffkoptas a zenithal too and then I'll be ready to hand them off to my friend. And then actually finish priming and start basecoating my army.

I've never airbrushed ink before, is there any trick to using it? I'm using the Liquitex White if there's anything particular about that brand.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

All the priming I've been doing has left some black primer stuck to the upper part of my airbrush cup, which I've had a hard time getting off, I let it soak for a little while in Simple Green and then gave it a scrub with a toothbrush but it's just really on there. Is that something I'm going to need to sit down and take care of or is it not really much of a deal?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I recall reading someone say that they met the family behind Huge Minis at a con and that they seemed really friendly and pleasant, which isn't conclusive or anything, but is not nothing at the very least.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Is a KN95 adequate for airbrushing acrylics? I have a full on respirator but it gets really uncomfortable, especially in comparison to my 95s.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Asciana posted:

Also, while looking close up at my newly assembled minis I realised my up close sight isnt what it used to be. Is it ok to use a pair of reading glasses when painting or am I going to cause trouble down the line?

I have a magnifier headband thing that I wear throughout the building and painting processes and it's been a real game changer. Wish I had done that years ago.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

I have superglued my thumb to my bottle of superglue accelerant.

I had to wash my hands repeatedly the other night because I had so many spots of superglue on my fingers that I was actually pulling parts off of models I was working on. It was incredibly annoying and hilarious.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I just give any really bad spots a quick swipe of nail polish remover and that generally does the trick, or at least does enough for soap and water to finish.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Are there any good colored airbrush primers out there? I see that Badger makes some, and I haven't experienced any problems with their black and grey Spinalrazor at least, but I'm looking for a dark green rather than the olive they have.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

For people who use the various styles of collapsible airbrush booths, how well do they actually break down and store?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Apothecary White definitely separates pretty badly but it also reintegrates well. It takes some vigorous shaking but probably less than a minute's worth and you don't have to do it all in one go. I haven't noticed anything as dramatic in any of the other ones I have, maybe a tiny bit of settling here and there but nothing that doesn't mix back in almost immediately.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Looks like a Goon from Popeye.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The mould line remover is completely inessential and also I will never not have one because it's so goddamn useful, at least the first gen one is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Eej posted:

Makeup container with a lid.

A tool box or tackle box would also serve.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Yup. Its role can be filled by the hobby knife you needed for other stuff anyway. But it's better at it and you can't do yourself nearly as much damage as a knife can.

The curved part of it is so goddamn useful for getting sprue connection points off of space marine legs and cylindrical poo poo like that too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Is there any reason not to put a drop or two of paint into colored primer in order to change the color a little? I've got some Pro Acryl Dark Camo Green to use as a primer and shading for my Blood Angels and it's a really cool color but not quite as green as I'd like so a drop or two of a dark green paint should get me closer to the color I want but I also don't want to gently caress up the actual primer part of it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Whoever designed the trigger assembly on the Badger Patriot should be forced to publicly apologize to the entire airbrushing community and also be forced to reassemble the loving thing for every owner each time it comes apart.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Speaking of that airbrush hood, how often ought one change the filter on that and, also, where does one acquire more filters?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can pick up cheap rolls of aquarium filter material online, and they work perfectly in a spray booth. Just cut to size.

Oh excellent, thanks!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Why would that be lazy?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I use white ink personally, I have the Badger white primer but I've heard so many horror stories about it that I've never even opened it (bought it as a three pack with grey and black.) Liquitex white ink works really well even for someone who is still pretty bad at airbrushing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The lack of orange on the helmet also makes the model look like it's missing the actual helmet to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

How much better is Pro Acryl than Vallejo? I keep seeing the former recommended but it's easier for me to find the later. Right now this is mostly for airbrush primer, although I might like to get Pri Acryls Titanium white as after 25 years citadel still seem to be unable to make a good white

I can't speak to Vallejo's airbrush primer but I have some of the Pro Acryl Dark Camo (I think that's the name) primer and I was really happy with the performance.