Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

lilljonas posted:

Last thread was longer than my list of unpainted minis. Long live the new thread!

Pretty sure the old thread started when I still used to work from home, that's going back a ways... back when working from home meant "slip in a cheeky bit of basecoating / drybrushing / etc." whilst waiting for stuff at the office to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Not sure if this has been posted or not, I haven't seen it skimming through the thread but my ageing eyes may be failing me yet. The chaps over at WAMP are running a kickstarter to fund production of their own lines of kolinsky sable brushes.

Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wamp/wamp-select-series-paintbrushes

Called the 'Select Series', the basic entry level pledge is £20 (disregarding the obligatory £1 to open up add-ons) and you get 4 brushes as their 'starter set' - another £7 gets you brush soap and the choice of a bamboo roll or a brush case. They're UK based too which I was surprised at, I always thought the WAMP lot had set up in the US but apparently I'm completely wrong. Free postage is in there somewhere too.

Thought you guys may be interested. I certainly am, my W&N Series 7 brushes are beginning to look a little worse for wear and could do with replacing with something new and shiny :toot:

This post was not sponsored by WAMP, honest guv :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PVA / Elmers, not watered down at all... ok maybe just a touch. But not by much. Once all my base bits and glued on, I'll go back over with a thinned out PVA / Elmers & future floor polish mix to seal it all down.

This is before I undercoat, the base is always the first thing to get painted because I'm a messy drybrusher :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I'm still rocking my old GW drybrush brushes from the mid-90s, they're that good - before they went poo poo and replaced them all with the synthetic poo poo that preceded the current brush range. If I remember, the bristles are some kind of ox hair, I dunno.. they're still going strong though.

Other than that, for larger areas I use some vallejo flat brushes (scroll down here: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-paints/brushes/3) - they've been fairly solid too but beginning to curl up at the edges (unsurprisingly, given the abuse they've received)

I've decided to pony up some cash for that WAMP kickstarter I linked yesterday, they're offering some backer achievements now too and they're only 10 backers away from the first which is a 5% discount code to use in their store for anyone pledging £20 or more. I forget the exact numbers but X number of backers will get that up to a 10% discount and so on.. so handy if you want to splurge some cash on painting supplies in the near future and whatnot.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Use a bigger brush.

No, seriously. A bigger brush, say size 2 holds more paint and dries slower than a size 00 one. You just have to find some that have good points. With 00s I had one attempt before I had to clean the brush/take more paint. Nowadays I just say "gently caress it I'm too lazy to grab the detail brush" and do eyes with my default one.

This! I spent last night painting fur trim on a model with a size 4 brush :3:

Those 0 00 and 000 style brushes do my head in, I don't think I've ever gotten on with them. The 1 is my usual 'go to' brush but I'm loving using my much bigger brushes at the moment purely for how much paint they hold.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Does anyone know of a good match for the old citadel foundation khemri brown? I'm looking for something with a similarly thick consistency too as they feel better for drybrushing that way (which is primarily what I want it for)

I know GW have baneblade brown listed as their own replacement for it, but I'm not keen on the newer range of GW paints (the few I've used have been quite thin)

Ok, quick bit of googling says Vallejo 'heavy brown' in the 'extra opaque' game colour range is a good match, can anyone give me a comparison or say a word or two for that particular paint? :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

VGC Earth is supposedly the replacement for Graveyard Earth but it looks a lot more like Khemri to me.

Ah yea graveyard earth is a pretty good match, I used to use that to paint my base rims.. might have some knocking around somewhere still :o: thanks :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

lilljonas posted:

MDF is still available at the DIY shops around here. My supply problem is that it's impossible to find XPS sheets that are thinner than 4 inches where I live.

I bought a bunch from http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/ - had that same problem before, could only seem to find it in sheets that were ridiculously thick but I wanted thin sheets of the stuff to work with. They do a range of widths from 5.5mm and up. Not sure on shipping to Sweden though? (if I'm remembering whereabouts you're from correctly!)

An alternative to use for hills, if you can find them in your local DIY place is polystyrene ceiling tiles, they're not as dense as the blue and pink foam but they do the job perfectly for hills.

Why aren't we having this discussion in the terrain megathread? :psyduck:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Because I am a dope and didn't realize there was a terrain megathread....I will fix that in a bit!

:D

Come on over - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570772

enri
Dec 16, 2003

DJ Dizzy posted:

On a completely unrelated note, where do I get GWs shining gold these days?

http://www.coatdarms.com/online_shop/index.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=40

Scroll down, product no. 107 - Bright Gold

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

the space-Harry-Potter-anime-magical-school faction.

....ok so I wasn't interested in Relic Knights before now, but some local guys bought into the KS, now I'm interested.. :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Harkano posted:

What is the best colour match for Old School 'Bolter shell' pot Chaos Black?

My whole Trollbloods army has the base rims painted in it, and adding new models years later my Vallejo 72051 Black is a bit too glossy and different.

Vallejo game color black comes out quite matte for me

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I dragged the wife there during our mini honeymoon in 2011, glad to have seen the Mike Mcvey dioramas I drooled over as a youth and glad I didn't have to pay for the privilege :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Is she still your wife after that?

She drew the line at having her picture taken by the space marine statue outside... it would have been a short marriage if I insisted on that one.

moths posted:

This means a small honeymoon, not a miniatures-themed one... right?
:ohdear:

Ha, sadly yes :)

lilljonas posted:

Enri is married to a Jain Zar mini, you see. He was there to meet the in-laws.

Please, Jain Zar gets around a bit, I'm more a callidus assassin kinda guy.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, I am having some trouble getting a smooth, even, right red on my Khador jacks. I've only ever painted a dark red on cloaks and robes and such, but the jacks have large, wide, flat areas. I feel like no matter how many coats its just looks splotchy and streaky. Short of getting an airbrush, anyone have any tips? This is over a grey primer. I'm currently using thinned scab red > unthinned mechrite red > thinned skarsnik red.

I'd normally say start your basecoat with a mid to dark brown, you'll have much more fun that way.. but you're priming in grey so I'm not really sure how I'd go about it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fyrbrand posted:

...but Charadon is irreplaceable.

there's a P3 paint that isn't 100% perfectly identical, but it's about as close a match as you're going to get out of the pot. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of it. It might be bastion grey, I'd go look at my paints to find out but they're out in the shed and I'm inside and it's late.

I did a comparison pic on a piece of old sprue for someone ages back, either in this thread or another around here:

Like I said, it's not perfect but when the pots are sat side by side, they look pretty drat close.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

You're probably thinking Thornwood Green. It's a close enough match.

That's the one! :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

UK goons, has anyone had any experience stripping the privateer press plastics in fairy power spray? I've stripped plenty a metal model in it, but never hard plastic or whatever the hell PP call their soft plastic.

I'm picking up a second hand cygnar starter set and as much as I appreciate it being painted, want to strip them all, re-base and re-paint the lot.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

to be fair, mechrite red does have a pit of a purple / pinkish tingle to it, it's not as brilliant a red as some other colours.. but yea.. moaning about the coverage? that stuff goes on like inch thick make up on a teenager.

I've always liked P3 skorne red as a base for building up to a brighter red, it's quite dark and covers black fairly well. If you want a darker red, you can't go far wrong with VMC burnt cadmium red, that's a good one for coverage over black too.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Well, knowing how it's done and actually doing it are entirely different things. Glazes are tricky, and I'm finding it just easier to water the paint down on a wet pallet instead of using a glazing medium and treating it not unlike water colors, using thin layers so it doesn't pool.

This a hundred times over, most of my best blends have come from simply thinning my paints down and applying them in very thin layers.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

This is a pretty awesome setup :D

Which starts me thinking, my birthday is approaching and I'm as of yet undecided as to what to spend my precious birthday pennies on, always on the list but always overlooked, is an airbrush. Do we have a goon-written guide to buying airbrush gear? I'm not a total stranger to airbrushing, I know the difference between single action / dual action, gravity fed / bottle fed airbrushes... it's just been several several years since I last used one. Even then, that wasn't for miniatures, it was for art class at school.

What's the bare minimum £££ to get a semi-decent airbrush set up going?

....although this potentially leads me down the dark path of buying more paints, which is never a good thing.

:ohdear:

...and can I even justify having one? I barely do much painting as it is, an airbrush would be an extravagance... but but but... hrm.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I would say...if know someone with an airbrush setup that you can borrow, see if you can borrow it. You'll at least learn how not to do things at first and the more you try it you'll learn the right way to do things too.

If you're not lucky enough to know someone with all that stuff, I think it's pretty tough to either A) put your trust in a no-name crap clone airbrush that may work, may not and could be a paperweight or B) splash out 5x the cash to get a good airbrush (the Badger Patriot) that you know will work just fine. It is a tough call for some, but if you have the money I always say 'buy nice or buy twice'. You'll still have to get a mask (or a fan with an open window but we're at that stage of the year that the open window plan is starting to go out the window...pardon the pun), AND an compressor.

As for a 'goon-written guide to buying airbrush gear', check out the airbrush post of the OP :) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594539 It's not exhaustive but you're welcome to ask questions of course!

Ah, thanks! Having now given that a read, I think maybe an airbrush may be an extravagance right now, I definitely subscribe to the buy nice or buy twice philosophy and I don't think I could justify that kind of cash for something that isn't going to get much use if I'm brutally honest with myself. I'll go back to eyeballing power tools that I don't really need want instead... :)

Thank you for the advice though, shall bear it in mind when I'm a bit more flush with cash and decide to give the old airbrush a go! :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Are those Babylon 5 minis?

battlestar galactica you heathen! :argh:

I should re-watch BSG one day...

...and that is one awesome knight :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Can anyone recommend a close match for the old citadel foundation adeptus battlegrey? My pot is finally running low and it's a colour I use on literally everything, closest I can see is P3 greatcoat grey but I'm pretty sure it's got a bit of a blue tinge to it.

I've checked out the usual comparison charts, which list vallejos equivalents... and they are practically green (VGC heavy grey and VMC russian uniform) so I'm not touching those with a barge pole.

Failing that, I'll just have to work out the ratio of white to black and mix up my own batch (and remember to write down the ratios)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JackMann posted:

Reaper HD Armor Grey might be close to what you want. You might also look at their Military Grey (not Military Green as suggested by the equivalency charts).

Good call, thanks, I'll check it out :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Greatcoat does have a very slight blueish tinge, but Ironhull Grey seems closer to Adeptus.

I actually remembered a short while back that I have a pot of greatcoat grey and had a quick peak at it, and yea, that blue tinge is what's put me off using it in the past. Thanks for the heads up on ironhull grey though, I'll check that out too whilst I'm at it :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

For UK goons, a similar (very loving nasty) product that will strip everything off of metal models, look no further than nitromors.

Pro tip: it has a very very very low boiling point (42c), so don't go rinsing models covered in the stuff under the hot tap. It will melt your face off, give you cancer of the eyeballs and most likely burn away whatever facial hair you may or may not have.

This is the voice of experience. Do not run it under hot water.

(and it probably goes without saying that it's not suitable for anything but metal models)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I've discovered that I really just need to paint my miniatures one at a time :smith:

I've been working on 9 Bloodtrackers for like 3 months. I decide to take a break and paint up my Razorwing Griffin, and I'm like 90% done in 2 days. I'm guessing it's because I can spend 5 hours painting a unit and be done with like their spears, where as I can spend 5 hours painting up most of a single model and just feel much more accomplished :suicide:

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm the same. Assembly line painting feels like homework or drudgery, no matter how much I like the models. I don't feel like I am painting.

I've found a great way to combat assembly line drudgery, it's basically have multiple projects on the go at the same time, even multiple assembly lines. Tell yourself once you've done X, Y or Z on assembly line 1, you'll spend a bit of time on that centrepiece model, when you're waiting for something to dry on that, then pick up the next thing in the queue. I get so much more painting done when I've got more to paint. If I've got one project on the go then it takes ages to get anywhere with it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I've been using the old citadel foundation adeptus battlegrey to re-paint my TIEs for x-wing; undercoat black, basecoat the whole thing in the grey, army painter strong tone wash, drybrush back with the grey (and then a very light drybrush with vallejo GC cold grey for final highlights) - then paint the inner panels black and paint the cockpit glass whatever funky colour suits.

But.. adeptus battlegrey is waaaay OOP but it's a good look if you can find a replacement paint that matches.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Adeptus battlegrey is the same as the modern Mechanicus Standard Grey and the Vallejo Heavy Grey.

I posted a few weeks back for alternatives, the vallejo match is dreadful:

'grey'... quite

I didn't even think about GW's equivalent because my experience with their new paints is somewhere between 'terrible' and 'jesus loving christ what is this poo poo?' - prefer to stick to vallejo / P3 / AP wherever I can but I might give that one a whirl as well as the other alternatives we found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Let me try that again: