Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I started chipping in the grey on the Ghostkeel last night and I'm going to work my way up hopefully getting some more done or finished tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Quick Saturday Morning photodump of the work I managed to get done on the Ghostkeel last night.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I did some more work in the weapons for the Ghostkeel tonight and did a dry fit to see how they will look.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I had a go with OSL ever as I figured that it it did turn out poo poo then the cannons were just grey anyway so I could repaint.

I came out okay I think for a first go, but I think I prefer the more realistic matt grey cannons so will probably overpaint back to how it was but thought I would post some pictures just for peoples interest.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Some more work on the Ghostkeel tonight. corrected the OSL and went back to my more grimy looking roots.

The pictures are not great due to lighting, will try to take some better ones in day light tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I've finished the weapons on both arms and finalised the weathering on the main model.

I only really have the head to add now but I am stuck as to what colours to do it? Anyone here have any ideas how to finish this thing off?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Hi all, I'm looking for some inspiration for a good kit/model/project to paint next.

I've been following this thread since Paintvagrant started it and love it but for my sins I rarely post. I'm the guy currently doing the Tau Ghostkeel in digi cam and I've posted historical vechicles in the past too. (The LRDG truck and Corsair etc.)

Basically I'm bored and have no idea what to do next and you guys are a totally repository of awesome modelling knowledge so please suggest me some fun things that I could try. It can be GW not GW, historical, fantasy, sci-fi, anime or whatever, 15mm, 28mm, bigger, 1:48, 1:35 I really don't care what it is as long as it looks like something I haven't really tried before and will look awesome when done. (Also as long as I like it cost is not an issue.)

To prove I am not without precedent in this, the last time I did this in another forum I got a 1500pt Finnish FoW list as a suggestion.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Two days ago I was cleaning minor mold lines on a resin model using an xacto chisel. It slipped and sliced the tip of my thumb nearly off. Blood squirting everywhere I ran into the kitchen to disinfect, apply pressure, and keep the bleeding to the sink. I broke out in a cold sweat and suddenly I had no idea what was going on because nothing made sense I was cold and alone. I was about to panic when I woke up on my tile floor, room spinning, blood everywhere. Later I learned I'd also given myself a minor concussion and hurt my left elbow.

I've hobbied for over 10 years and I have never hurt myself before.

This is loving hardcore.

I started on the ruined Imperial industrial type base last night. It looks dark at the minute but I'm going to lighten the brown, add some pigments and some silfor tufts once the varnish has gone on.

Only really that and the helmet to do now

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

I hope you don't mind me saying this, as your painting is awesome, but IMHO the base could do with a little tweaking.

I think you need some 'in-between' sized bits of debris to blend the bigger pieces into the base. As it stands the ruins on top don't seem to have any weight and look like they've just been placed there. Its a little late to try the alternative, which would be to spread a little putty over the base and sinking the debris into that.

Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean...the base never came together as I envisioned it. Part of the fun in modelling is fixing things though. Good advice with adding smaller pieces of rubble I'll probably try that tonight. I do think the extra colours of the pigments and tufts will help as well.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I got the head to the Ghostkeel done last night.

I've a little snagging list to do then will do final varnish coats and then I'll try to get some better shots in good lighting.

EDIT: Having just seen the pictures posted above I've just added a dark grey pin wash to the metal round the pupil to help define the metal parts. Looks a bit better.

big_g fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 27, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I finished off the base of the Ghostkeel this afternoon. I added some pigments and tidied up the rim and added some varnishes.

I quite like it now, it matches the ruined gothic factory sector vibe I had in my head when I started.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Bit of a picture dump I'm afraid but fully 100% finished with the Ghostkeel now. Also I enjoyed it so much I picked up these little bad boys on a whim to paint up next.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

hi all, my three year old has developed a large interest in WWII armour so I dug out a load of my old FoW stuff for him to look at. It's the first time I've had it out in years and most of it dates from 2008/2010 so I snapped some pictures for interests sake and thought I would share. this is 15mm scale.

T-34 platoon.

Mechanised SS Panzer Grenadiers (Happy with the pea dot cam on these)

M4 Sherman platoon

M10 Wolverine and M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyers

IS-2 Platoon

ISU-152 Platoon

ISU-122 and various Soviets together

Sorry for picture spamming.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Have you guys got any good advice with regards to painting marble on bases? I can remember someone doing all the Primarchs a while back and the base on Horus and Gulliman looked ace.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've been painting up some of my first 28mm models in 12 or so years and I love the Forgeworld MKIII armour so decided to do some Imperial Fists.

I've been posting in the scale models thread but here's a bit of a painting log to where I am now.

Assembled and primed.

Preshaded with wash

Washed and glazed with yellow

Starting the other colours and the weapon hands.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

:agreed:

Did you paint these yellow at all, or is this just the yellow glaze?

With washes. This is the procedure I took for the yellow.

I primed in Army Painted Skeleton primer out of the rattle can, then preshaded with thinned Agrax Earthsahed, highlighted/lined with Dorn Yellow, washed all over with Casandora Yellow and final glaze again all over with Lamenters Yellow.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Well the problem with TY models and bases is that the models have little round bases themselves, and the bases have little round depressions where the bottom of the models fit in to be flush with the base.

I think I'll need to get finer sand. The grains are pretty large, they worked fine for my 40k models but the smaller scale TY models I gotta use smaller sand. I think that's the problem.

So my question is what is some good sand/material for 15mm bases. What are good paints for said 15mm bases.

Vallejo white pumice is very useful for 15mm bases, you can glue your infantry on and then paint it around. It's used a lot in Flames of War.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've made some more progress on the Imperial Fists the past few nights.

Just two heavy bolters to do, finish the bases and matt varnish then that's job done.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Another update on the Imperial Fists. Just really the bases to do now.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

CommissarRed posted:

These own so hard. How large of a force are you planning on doing?

Thanks! I'm just doing these five so far as a one off fun little side project. I do like some of the Heresy era terminators thought so I might pick some of them up soon.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Here's a badly lit quick snap of the finished Fists. Happy with how they came out and I love the Heresy era aesthetic.

I'll try to get some better shots in daylight when I can.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Last pictures I'll post but here are some shots in daylight of the yellow marines.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I started the White Dwarf freebie model last night. Following the colours from the guide. It's the first time I've picked up a brush since the Imperial Fists I posted a while back. Quite happy with the red armour.

Hopefully starting the flesh tonight.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Attestant posted:

That is so good. How do you do the armor bits?

Thanks, it's just what the White Dwarf recommended: Khorne Red washed with Nuln Oil then Evil Sunz Scarlet and edged with Fire dragon bright.

A little bit of wet blending and extra wash added to the very darkest points.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Cross posting...

Have a dark crappy picture from last night where I finished my White Dwarf freebie.

Will try to get some better pics at some point.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

melonfish posted:

Well for a while now Big_G has been mythering me to get my Stealer Cult up on SA, so here goes!
Starting with the decent shots rather than all the WIP's i'll post more wip shots as I go, Atm i have a finished acolyte both the princelings and the 4 abberrents (they were fun!) on the table are 5 more acolytes i'll post wip as i go.

First the Princelings, excuse the mix of shots, only recently got a light box but this gives you an idea of the colour scheme for my hive.

then the tester Acolyte:

and the Abberrents:

and the money shot of the group fully based.

Have to say, when DW:O was announced I was over the moon, I've really missed stealer cults, easily one of the best bits of fluff geedubs has, now there's a codex coming out? can't wait!

Looking really good, especially like the gloss on the carapaces.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

lilljonas posted:

I'm looking for some basing help. I'm far enough into my 28mm napoleonics project that it's time to settle on how to base them. These are going to be from the French invasion of Russia, so I'm thinking late summer/autumn/early winter, but before the snow. And I want to make the bases a little more grassy than the common "stony ground with a few tufts of grass" that you see on so many miniatures.

Basically representing something like this kind of grass, but maybe with some tufts for added effect:

I've been googling around, and the closest I find are these pictures, though the blog is old and had no info on how he made them.

I'm trying to make some kind of plan for how to get such an effect, and all I can come up with is to start with a brownish static grass, and then add browish tufts. Am I missing something? Anyone has any great tips on which materials to go for?

Static grass plus some light coloured tufts plus something like this to add random variation to different bases would probably look good.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've been working on some of the new Genestealer cult models and thought I would share some WiP.

This is where I am up to as of last night not too much left to do now mainly details, tidying up, weapons and bases.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I'm very nearly the Stealer Cultists now. Just the banner to finish and then the bases to do.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I just finished these bad boys. Hope you don't mind a dump of a few pics.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Cross post from the scale model thread but I thought it involves painting so someone might like it here.

There is a nice guy who's just started his own photography firm working from the same village I'm in so I popped over today to see what some proper shots of my models would look like.

I think they are nice shots and I've given him some Gamesworkshop mans and some other 1:35 tanks to have a go with. See what you think.

If any one is really interested I can link to the original 6016x4016 HQ images.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

ijyt posted:

:swoon:

Can you share your secrets for the weathering, especially the mud on the tank!

Thanks very much, as I can remember the mud effect was made up of layers of dried MIG pigments, then the same mixed with white plaster of paris and water into a goo which was then loaded onto an old tooth brush and then at the back sprayed with the air pressure from an empty airbrush to "splatter" onto the muddier areas.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I have some more new pictures of old models if no-one minds me sharing.

1:35 Tamiya Sherman - This was the first ever model I used an airbrush on. Must be about 6 years old now.

1:35 Dragon Tiger - I always liked the rear deck

EDIT:

And this one:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Cross posting from the 40K thread.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

That's a Panther, my man. And a real good looking one.

I love those spent shell casings that look like they were tossed out the turret hatch. Did they come with the kit or did you make them?

Yeh I know! Must have been tired last night to make that error.

The shell casings are a bought after market brass add on. Can't remember where exactly I got them from but probably hannants or the like.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Please excuse me while I spam this thread with pictures of military scale aricraft. (1:48 scale)

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Does any one have a recommendation for good glue to use with resin, specifically GW finecast.

All advice just says superglue but when I've used Locite on resin in the past it takes a loving age to dry and hold, and yes all release agent has been cleaned off. Thanks.

big_g fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 13, 2017

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Gorilla glue always works well for me

But really any superglue, maybe your loctite was just old and bad?

Thanks I'll try that! The locite was fine I presume as works fine on other materials.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've started working on the canoness veridyan model, I've been trying to stay true to the Blanchesque colours and style which is quite new to me.

What do you think?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

It's been far to long since I had time to pick up a brush but managed to touch up and make some small progress on the canoness tonight. Looking forward to getting her finished and based. I think I am going to re-do the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I just finished the Canoness and was quite happy how she came out, basic base and all. What do you think.