Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Now that we have a new thread, I may as well post the reminder that Reaper Bones are super easy to mod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Where do you guys buy brass rods, anyway? I've checked both my local Joanns and Michaels craft stores, and I haven't been able to find any there. Hardware store? Online only?

I have a trio of valkyrie figs now, and one of them needs a polearm. Post/avatar combo, etc etc.

:aaa: Space Kraken is not an idea I considered.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I think it's a great idea! iamthespaceinvader came up with it, I'm just trying to translate his concept to the model.

BTW I get my brass rod online, but I have no railroad shop near me.

Train shops. :downs: That would do it! Turns out there is actually one sort of nearby, so I may hit it on the weekend.

Trip report incoming on Train Shopping While Female? :v: (I'm not anticipating problems.)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

:stare:

Still Not Even Close to Most Uncomfortable Gaming Hobby Experience

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Hollismason posted:

Okay so I've found everything I need for my jungle bases except one thing, Monkeys , I cannot find realistic simian 28mm monkey's anywhere they're all cool Monkey with a Gun, Monkey with a Hat, Monkey with a Hat and A gun.

I want some realistic monkey's , I want to add them to some terrain pieces.

So has anyone ever come across any 28mm monkeys or have any suggestions on where to buy them?

Reaper Minis has a handful. They belong to some of the familiar packs, but you can buy the pieces individually.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Hollismason posted:

Yeah their miniature pack has one or two, I picked up a good many familiar packs from them as they've got some cool little animals in there . I'm looking more for like a in motion or dynamic range. I'll recheck them though.

I forget just how large Reaper's catalogue is.

I think they have a walking chimp that originally went with a Tarzan figure. Beyond that, though, I think you get into hats & guns again.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Slimnoid posted:

That was probably when I also sold a bunch of barrels to I think Iris of Ether, so I think I just forgot.

I've sold a bunch of poo poo to goons, it all blends together.

One of my Kickstarters included a bunch of HDF shanty shacks, and a friend gave me a baggie of plaster-cast piping that someone gave him at Gen Con, so I really need to pull all this stuff out and get my slum-modeling on. :D

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, I'd like to share something I figured out for those of you who still have slotta bases - toilet paper/kleenex. Tear off a little bit, apply a glue/water mix around the exposed slot area, and apply tissue. Instant coverage - it's pretty awesome.

Ooh. You're pretty much applying quasi-paper-mache there. That's not a bad idea.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

NTRabbit posted:

I have all of these things, which I just finished putting together this afternoon, basically thanks to this thread, the previous iteration of this thread, the boardgame thread and the 40k thread:

• Back2base-ix modular paint racks, the dropper bottle sized ones hold everything (Army Painter, which are a bit wider, fit in upside down); plus a rank and file magnetic painting rack for hands free production line stuff
  • Ikea Expedit (now replaced by the Kallax series) 4x4 bookshelf, which is awesome for holding boardgames, I have drawer inserts and pullout baskets holding minis and supplies, solid door cabinet inserts holding various, and the top row of glass door units
  • Kvissle letter tray, with cork lined trays that hold all but the largest things, and I can simply pull out and switch between trays on my desk as well as have multiple things on the go
  • Large cork pads meant to hold hot saucepans, instead a place to tape/pin down tall painting projects that don't fit in the Kvissle

This is all semi-temporary - eventually I hope to have an actual work bench rather than pushing my keyboard out of the way, a bench big enough to fit the whole paint rack assembled in a better format leaving room to return my alcohol to the top of the Expedit, and those glass doors will house my glassware, with my minis eventually moved to KR cases and a dedicated display case in another room.

I like this and (assuming we get the larger place we're trying to rent) I will be stealing liberally from this setup.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JackMann posted:

When these zombies are released, that should give even more options for cheap, easy-to-modify zombies.

I have those zombies in hand right now from Bones 2, so even though they're not officially released yet, you might be able to source them from people chopping up and selling their sets....

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JackMann posted:

Greater Demon of Tzeentch. This guy was a pain, but also got some good stuff out of it. Based his coloration partially on the Bearded Vulture, a pretty cool bird. Gave me the idea of orange skin and blue-black feathers.

I like the color scheme and balance on this guy. :)

I just finished painting a huge figure of my own:

Glow-in-the-dark eyes!

Poor Life Choices™

I got it done just in time for my friend's birthday, too, so she'll get the chance to have a horrifying 'friend' from the deep on her shelf now. :3:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Ilor posted:

That Kraken is pretty sweet, not gonna lie.

Bavius posted:

Awesome model, great job sir!

Thanks! (Also, I am a lady. :v: )

Dr. Gargunza posted:

You are a good friend, and that is a good paint job on that Kraken! What were the greys you used on the meaty bits?

Thankie. :3:

The grays are the Reaper Dark Elf Shadow/Skin/Highlight triad. I painted either Shadow or Skin first, then hit it with GW Drakenhof Nightshade wash (a deep blue-purple). After that, I highlighted up to Dark Elf Highlight, then Dark Elf Highlight cut with Linen White.

The carapace was the same Linen White, washed with Secret Weapon's Dark Sepia, highlighted again with Linen White.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JackMann posted:

I love the dark elf triad. It's pretty awesome. I may steal your color scheme when I paint my own Kraken.

By all means!

I swear like 70% of my stuff uses at least one of Dark Elf Triad/Linen White/Seafoam Blue.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I got some more figures finished up this weekend.

The slimes are a coating of Reaper Clear Green + Clear Yellow, followed by highlights of Reaper Alien Goo (and Goo + Golden Blonde), followed by a shitload of clear nail polish. They're still translucent!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

SRM posted:

Didn't Reaper's paints used to all have a tiny pewter skull in them for mixing paint? I don't know if I'm remembering that right but I think that's lovably goofy and I'm surprised GW doesn't do that.

Slimnoid posted:

They did, yes. It proved to be a bit too expensive to do, so they switched it out to something cheaper. Plastic BBs I think.

SRM posted:

Aw shucks. That was always a fun little random thing, but I totally understand why they stopped.

I got a full case of paints as a birthday set back in like '05, '06. When one of you guys posted about the skull beads (a year or three ago), I started spelunking for them whenever a bottle gummed up irreparably.

I think I'm up to like 10-12 skulls now. :3:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Avenging Dentist posted:

In the interests of branching out and trying new paint ranges (I still think entirely in terms of the old GW range), does anyone have any absolute favorite colors, from any range? The specific colors aren't terribly important, since I could use a little of everything. I've seen a fair number of VMC recommendations elsewhere that I want to pick up (Deck Tan gets mentioned a lot), but I'm sure other ranges have stand-out colors too.

In addition to the ones Gareth and JackMann posted for Reaper:
Woodstain Brown
The Dark Elf triad
Seafoam Blue (That triad works well for blue jeans, too.)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Foolster41 posted:

yeah, I don't much care to keep the headless cows. Scissors actually works pretty well too.

Just 9 more to go

This makes me happy. Where did you get the cows?

Edit: You may also find this selection useful for adding some more post-apocalypse fun into the mix:
http://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-items/hell-on-earth-miniatures

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Avenging Dentist posted:

I went to his site, clicked on the "Girls" category, and for a moment thought, "that's not too bad, he just did 4 cheesecake models". But then I realized those were 4 categories. It always makes me wonder why no one really does naked dude minis.

I think Hasslefree has some dong if you look hard enough.

The sculptor has a Facebook page, and it's kind of hilarious to see some of his followers squirm when those greens get posted. :unsmigghh: