Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah I went in big on Badger paint and regret it. Only get it if you're going to airbrush everything, and even then I'd be weary. Maybe lots of terrain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there anything more aggressive for stripping metal models than pure acetone? I have a few models that the last bits of paint just won't budge from.

It really doesn't matter that the paints in there. Unless it's eBay special bad, I don't even bother stripping anymore.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Just load up your car with minis to strip and drive it into an active volcano. No more 10 micron thick primer hiding in a crevice!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

DeadGame posted:

I tried blue and I like the way it looks, but my wife thinks they look like windows and not fusion exhausts.

I think it looks good. They didn't read as windows to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Upside down it's a stylized S. It does have the unfortunate effect of looking more like a sigrune, though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I probably haven't varnished a mini in 6 years, and my main army is 20 year old metals.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Are you flying? Make sure it will fit in your checked bag. I bought a magnetic bulletin board that's and painted/sanded it and it does me pretty well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Star Man posted:

This is the unspiration thread, right?

I'm painting a hive tyrant and carnifex I have as a break from Salamanders. I'm trying to stick to the color scheme that I posted a while ago. This is the work in progress so far:

The model is pinned to the base but isn't glued in yet. Just need some thoughts is all. I'm not affraid of completely redoing it if need be.
I always hate my WIP models until I'm almost done with them, don't give up hope. It looks like you've done a basecoat and wash of all the areas. I'd go through and neaten up with your basecoat color again, leaving the wash in the recesses.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Some WIP of my Wrath of Kings models:

A Gutter Friar

Jelly, Jelly, Jelly...

Oh no! I've got crabs!

The photo isn't great, but I used my airbrush on Crabby and I think I got a good look. In retrospect, I wish I had used a smaller needle and got a tighter pattern, but for tabletop, I'm not going to complain.

Great job on your Reaver. I delayed painting that one for months as it was so intimidating.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I bought this model from Atlantis Game's consignment section at the 2015 Nova. It was badly damaged, poorly assembled with a bunch of missing arms and weapons. I got it because it was cheap and I might be able to use it for a conversion. I don't know why, but this month I just had to paint this model for a dead game I never played.

Not sure why Mary's face looks all hosed up.

I also painted some of my Wrath of Kings Hadross models this month:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I've found that as long as you leave the can inside, you're fine for priming outside. If you let the can get too hot/cold that's when problems happen.

I do live in Florida, though, so I've never had the opportunity to prime when it's below 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vermintide posted:

Most of these paint jobs are several years old at this point, but I repainted all the orange bits last night so they'd match my army color scheme.

I love orange on Skaven. What are you using them for?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Did you wash it with hot water? That will melt the glue.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vermintide posted:

So since my Skaven weapon teams are on 50mm x 50mm bases in Kings of War, I tried to come up with a clever way to switch between KoW and 8th/9th/etc without having to do a bunch of re-basing. Came up with this idea, made and cast some 50mm size bases that I can slide and lock the standard warhammer cavalry sized bases into, then pull 'em apart if I want them back to the normal size. They're a little rough but work pretty well, I think, and they stay nice and secure.

WhiteOutMouse did the same thing for his Flesh Hounds in 40k. They went from cav bases to 50mm rounds. Works great.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Wrath of Kings weapons, the ones that come on sprues, are actually ABS, not restic or HIPS. It's not as detailed a process, so that's why it's usually only for swords and other long straight weapons.

IIRC, the Deepmen don't have any ABS, but the Kaxes and Carcharodon weapons are.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

Painted this beastmen herd army up for KoW over 2 weeks recently. Picked up 2 Beastmen battalion boxes for half price and filled out a few more units with random kits lying around.

It says you took down all the images.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That comes from improperly set primer. Either the can wasn't mixed well, or weather conditions caused it to set frothed up. It isn't holes eaten into the plastic, but bubbles in the primer layer itself. Usually it's rock hard too, and you can't strip it easily.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Too much glare, try diffusing the light a bit more.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Eyes come with time. It will take a while. The best way I've done is to paint the entire eye black, then paint on two white lines in both sides. It helps prevent the tunnel vision effect.

I just painted up some more Empire of Dust for Kings of War. Not as quickly as I hoped, but progress is progress:

Flying Pharoah:

Regiments of Scavengers:

Horde of Chariots:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Pull the gunk out the big end with it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not familiar with that airbrush but the nozzle typically isn't supposed to come apart. You probably should order a new one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think the best way to avoid them looking like aquarium plants is to give them a subtle coat of paint. Even a couple washes on the center of the leaves/stem and light drybrush should be enough.

For inspiration, find a Buffalo Chicken post and click the question mark.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

A helping hand?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

How bad is the paint? Stripping is generally overrated.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

As someone who just picked up some second hand minis that were "primed" black over a previous paint job thick enough to lose considerable detail, :what:

Generally. Most competent paint jobs can be painted over without issue. Something like that obviously yeah they need to be stripped.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, I've got another synthetic that got the tip curl after maybe an hour. Getting good brushes is not about being an amazing painter but making my hack jobs be less of a frustrating experience.

Are you washing your brushes with hot water? That'll melt the glue that holds the bristles in place and ruin a brush after one use.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I use Duplicolor Sandable Primer, so I'd guess that would work the same way. They should never feel gritty.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You'll probably be fine if they're transported safely and you used a good primer as a base. Plastics are hardy.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Stencils would be difficult to use well unless you can print on a sticky vinyl of some sort with a laser. The roundedness of the shoulder pad means standard stencils don't work well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Does the scout sprue come with a shotgun without a hand on the pistol grip, or did you convert the one grenadey is holding? You also made the plastic jungle terrain look good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

ineptmule posted:

I'm painting my Deathwatch mans following the guide on Warhammer TV and he suggests painting over the black primer with another black so that you can use the non-spray black to clean up mistakes without a different finish on the layer. I didn't do this and now I'm not liking my small patches of shinier black where I've had to tidy up.

My question is, if I hit the finished mini with a gloss and then matt varnish will it even out these different patches of black or am I SOL for this mini?

It will help. If that doesn't work you can try doing a thined Null Oil filter over eveything, which will give it all a satiny finish.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

To sculpt a tail, I would first put in a pin where I want the tail to go, shaped to be a a little smaller than the eventual tail you'd want. Then, I'd sculpt a very rough core of the tail. There's no detail here, just the bulk volume you want for the tail. Let this harden. Then, cover this with greenstuff again and sculpt the fur onto the core.

Without a solid core, you'd start deforming the shape of the tail as you're adding detail.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's super fine grain sand, or maybe even sawdust, mixed into paint. It's a pretty rare way to base your models.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ayn Marx posted:

My first Grey Hunter. There's a lot of areas I could neaten up but I need a break from this guy, I already spent hours on him.

This genuinely got me to wonder if I understand how to use the Citadel layer paints - getting a somewhat smooth and even coat of Russ Grey over a base of The Fang was miserable.

He looks great. The bones are especially good, and that's something I struggle with even after nearly a decade in the hobby.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I got the same hose, and was surprised as well. but luckily I needed a second water trap.

The worst thing about doing power weapons. Anyone have any cool other ideas for power weapons? It looks good on the claws but I think it's getting a little outdated for the swords anyway. It takes forever too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the red you're using there?

All with airbrush:
Basecoat VMC Hull Red
GW Mephiston Red (cover almost everything but deepest recesses)
GW Evil Suns Scarlet (Zenithal, about 45 degrees)
GW Wild Rider Red (barely anything)

Pin wash Nuln Oil

Edge highlight Wild Rider Red

I think that the terminator might not have gotten the zenithal wild rider red, he's a tad darker. I haven't washed the mk3 dude yet though, so that might darken it up.

Neurolimal posted:

How about an iron sword with neon green blood? Would compliment both the dusty orange and ice blue claws well IMO.

What do you mean by neon green blood? Sounds interesting.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I often use a base of Vallejo Game Color Escorpena Green with a highlight of Fluo Yellow and a really thin glaze of Waywatcher Green. (Be careful of the Fluo Yellow, though; I've had multiple bottles that just don't have good coverage, get clumpy in the bottle, etc. I think there's an equivalent to it in the Vallejo Game Air line, but I don't have access to the latest paint comparisons charts....)

Speaking of paint comparisons: Does anyone know of a good equivalent for the old Mechrite Red (with a faint purplish undertone, I believe discontinued at this point)? That was my base coat for my Space Hulk termies back when I first got started airbrushing, and I miss it.

Do you have any pictures?

Khorne Red is fairly close to Mechrite Red.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You actually will help prevent the paint from drying out by storing them upside down, the liquid creates a vapor barrier and air can't seep in. It's really important to store the Vallejo alcohol metals like this.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The bigger package makes more sense than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

What do people put on top of Martian Ironcrust/Ironearth?