Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I'm about to man up and get a Sparmax TC-620X or similar compressor. I'm going from the OP. Have a couple questions:

-The ones on Amazon are about $300, is this a good place to get one or is there a way to get one cheaper?
-If I'm willing to spend that kind of money is this one of the better ones I can get?

Pertinent details are that I have a Patriot 105 and an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS that I run at 50mm and 35m, respectively. A big pro on this is it looks like I can have them both connected at the same time.

Is this a good way to go?

Also here's a screamer killer I just finished - there's some messy bits but overall I'm pretty happy with it, sorry for lovely tablet pics:

Any C&C is welcome

vaginite fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Hi guys

I'm really smart and stuff and went to spray rattle-can matte varnish on some models I spent quite a few hours painting. They started to turn white and I thought the humidity or temperature was off or whatever so I tried in my garage and they got frosted looking too. Turns out the can of matte varnish I was holding was actually skull white base coat.

The maybe good news is that I was spraying my "matte varnish" onto them over a pretty thick gloss varnish. I did this like a month ago but it just donned on me that maybe I can get just the skull white off because of the gloss varnish coat. What is a good way to do that?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

You could try mineral spirit

I’ll buy some and give that a shot - I’ll let you know if it works :)

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

You dumb bastard.

If you read my original post I pretty clearly state I'm smart and stuff.

Anyway here's a pic:

He's next to one I didn't gently caress up for reference but I have 8 of these that got some degree of white on them. I'm kind of hoping that because this paint is sitting on top of a hard gloss varnish I can chew off the paint but not through the varnish and salvage it.

I'll see if I can find some mineral spirits locally tomorrow, if not I'll order it online. Either way once I get it I'll post the results just in case someone does this exact same really stupid, really specific thing in the future.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm not really sure from reading the can about whether it's enamel or not. I don't think it is because it's rust-oleum and every rust-oleum thing I see that's enamel has "ENAMEL!!" plastered all over it and this can doesn't.

The gloss varnish is Rust-oleum universal advanced formula - clear durable topcoat (any surface any angle!) - gloss. It also provides UV protection. Here's a link to the exact can:

https://www.michaels.com/rust-oleum-universal-gloss-spray-paint/M10517331.html?dwvar_M10517331_color=Clear

The spray over it is just Citadel Skull White. Pretty sure from reading other stuff it isn't a primer think it's just acrylic in a spray can.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

General Olloth posted:

A q-tip might be the best way to carefully rub the areas you want gently with it, just adjust the tip with some clippers.

Edit: keep water and another q-tip on hand in case you need to get the spirit off quickly too.

You mean just like use sprue cutters to make a q-tip into a point? I always doomed myself to the lovely round profile of Q-Tips out of a box. That's so drat simple and useful for tons of stuff and I never thought of it - I love this thread :3:

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I made a fake youtube account to make a stupid joke painting video for the guys at the shop.

It has a long wind up to try and set it up like it's gonna be serious but if you just want to skip to to the punchline then start at like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLrD_kxkI3c

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks guys glad you liked the vid :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

BaronVanAwesome posted:

But actually take [joke] out of the title it ruins the surprise!

Done I was on the fence