Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Delorence Fickle posted:

For US destroyers, did Wargaming factor in the terribleness of the MK 8 and 14 torpedoes?

Not really, they're resoundingly decent. Can't do long range concealed firing like the Japanese though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
In the World of Warships the USN Bureau of Ordnance was set on fire, shelled, bulldozed and then the rubble was shelled again.

On the one hand we'll never get radar-controlled gunnery but at least the torpedoes will fuse right.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Have they ever stated the arming distance for torpedoes? I can't be bothered to scour the forums and I don't visit but to read the announcements. I swear they arm ten feet after they are launched because I had a DD unload a spread of six at me so close his crew could exchange drinks across ships and my Kongo was obliterated. For reference it was so close I could not fire my main guns at it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Have they ever stated the arming distance for torpedoes? I can't be bothered to scour the forums and I don't visit but to read the announcements. I swear they arm ten feet after they are launched because I had a DD unload a spread of six at me so close his crew could exchange drinks across ships and my Kongo was obliterated. For reference it was so close I could not fire my main guns at it.

It's like 100 meters.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Just a quick note about the CBT. You're free to post ANY content (screenies/ youtube crap like that) from the CBT. you are not however allowed to post stuff from the weekend beta test OR the alpha as that stuff still come under NDA.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

It's like 100 meters.

In a DD, the wedge shape that shows up a bit off your ship in torp view is where your fish are live. So that distance until the start should be the minimum distance.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
NA signups start at 11:00 PST, 2:00 EST according to the website.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

EU is closed :(

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
What's the "portal" the website refers to for the closed beta testing? Is that the front page. Sorry, somewhat old and somewhat computer stupid.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Which nicely segways into my next topic.

Lead times and you:

This is the type of lead I am currently using when firing on an enemy at 14km out using AP. I am moving at full speed in a straight line, I am judging he is not initiating a turn or in a turn and he appeared to be going at or about full speed as well but that conclusion I made after having him in my sights for a few seconds and I cannot show you in this series of images. Note how much lead though I am having to use and I do score a number of hits on each salvo.

First salvo

Second salvo

First salvo was worth 9k in damage, second was over 12k.. he used his repair on the first salvo because I set him on fire and the second salvo he was lit up again and was taking on water so he was done before I had a chance to hit him with a third.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Four hits on the first salvo would have been absolutely legendary accuracy IRL. Ships were considered incredibly accurate if they could straddle on the first salvo, let alone hit.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's true, but ships also didn't have hitpoints and shooting their guns involved a tad more than point and click slightly ahead of the guy so

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One-shot savloed a Fuso yesterday and let me tell you the rage lasted the entire remainder of the match. The person never left after and chose to stay arguing with everyone including his own team. I hit the magazine, pure and simple but he was not buying it. It was fun to watch though, I can't wait for replays so this kind of glorious event can be watched and GIF'ed.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Goddamit NA portal; open up already!

(And yes, I know they posted PST as their "opening," time - I just want it sooner)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So you only need to account for lead time the game automatically figures out drop like in WoT?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

So you only need to account for lead time the game automatically figures out drop like in WoT?

Yeah. And drop gets absolutely massive as you start firing out towards max range and you get shell travel times of >10 seconds. A bunch of ships can actually have two or even more salvos in the air at once.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

BadLlama posted:

That's bogus. Best part of navy field was having to memorize the angles of gun fire needed to ht anything.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Your speed, if you are in a turn, distance and the same for the target all comes into play. There is a lot more to point and click at long range and can be tricky to figure out. Usually my first shot if it is at a large distance is getting a feel for the target and if I am good then I unload the full salvo based on what their activity is and what is going on around me. If I have to initiate a turn due to an obstacle or evasive maneuver then I either unload and pray or hold my shot and do what I have to do.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Goddamit NA portal; open up already!

(And yes, I know they posted PST as their "opening," time - I just want it sooner)

Link the game to Steam so you can stream and have others watch in your contact list and get on TS ffs if you can so we can division.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xthetenth posted:

Literally their worst.

Basically energy fighters were a bit weak in large part because guns were accurate at long range and they got strafed as they tried to pull away. So they decided to make them a bit better. So they made them more able to do boomy zoomy stuff by adding a boost that let them get up to high altitude faster, and heavy fighters got a real long boost so they could get the highest. Then they made them a bunch better by making planes perform like suck outside their preferred altitude band. Then they made planes literally incapable of dealing meaningful damage against targets when they were going slowly or pointing upwards.

This meant that in all, going up against a higher tier plane or a boomier zoomier plane you were dead with no chance of success.

They released the game in this state. Remember the grind a tier ten contest? A bunch of tryhards all platooned and flew nothing but the boomiest zoomiest and spent the whole time getting like 95% win rates.

Thus died WoWP.
They actually rebalanced all the game mechanics to make them pretty awesome.

And then a month later they changed all the flight mechanics for no reason, put the aiming reticule way above where the bullets actually go and basically genocided what was rest of the community.

I actually prefered WoP to WT since battles were fast, fun and there was a semblance of balance between factions. Now it's basically unplayable.

gently caress you Wargaming for ruining WoP and now not letting me play WoWS :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

Four hits on the first salvo would have been absolutely legendary accuracy IRL. Ships were considered incredibly accurate if they could straddle on the first salvo, let alone hit.

Like the Iowa and NJ straddling a destroyer first salvo at 20 mi?

Prav posted:

Yeah. And drop gets absolutely massive as you start firing out towards max range and you get shell travel times of >10 seconds. A bunch of ships can actually have two or even more salvos in the air at once.

Yep. This is why AP penetrates at short range and long range. At long range you're dropping shells on the deck.

Aiming in the game is picking an angle and range to drop your shells at, with some long hang times. You don't need to worry about elevation, it's basically WWI style trying to figure out speed and range.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember in alpha where I could actually fly using the mouse controls and actually hit things.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Like the Iowa and NJ straddling a destroyer first salvo at 20 mi?

Yeah, the Mk. 8 Rangekeeper in the Iowa class was an incredible piece of technology. Couple it with fire control radar and you get results like that.

Here's a comparison between the Mk. 8 and the systems installed on contemporary IJN ships.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-086.htm

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
First battle: Oh god how does everything work, I have no idea what I'm doing! Oh hey there's a guy behind this island, I'm gonna flank hi- oh, match is over.

Second batte: Top score of the team after a slugging match agaainst three or four Katoris, of which I sank one and mangled two others, and survived despite all of them shooting at me. Pubbies seem to be bad at gunnery.

Also, jesus christ is there really no option to invert the mouse Y-axis? This is going to be awkward.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Now that the NDA is down, have a screenshot

I lived.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

For any first-timers, I recommend getting a St. Louis, the tier 3 american cruiser. It's got a shitload of 15 cm guns and is just a good time.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Good I'm in, can't play just now but I wanted to check and make sure. I didn't get any email I just downloaded the game and checked to see if I have access to the forums.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

santanotreal posted:

That's bogus. Best part of navy field was having to memorize the angles of gun fire needed to ht anything.

Yeah, how am I going to translate my skills as one of the best Prince of Wales captains from Navyfield into this game?

Too bad I have no free time any more.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So are the only nations that are in America and Japan?

Has Russia even ever had a strong Navy?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BadLlama posted:

They were once considered a top naval power. Then Tsushima Straits happened and they've been mostly terrible ever since.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Right now yes, and they started the century with a decentish fleet that was hamstrung as usual by the worst naval geography imaginable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BadLlama posted:

Germany and Britain are scheduled to be added later, and the company has expressed interest in adding the Italians.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There's probably enough paper designs to fill out quite a few nations with only a relative handful of ships, like the Netherlands and Germany. There's the Vichy French fleet too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The French are actually one of the best candidates for a nearly full tree of real ships or ships that were seriously intended to be built.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

xthetenth posted:

The French are actually one of the best candidates for a nearly full tree of real ships or ships that were seriously intended to be built.

French, Italians, and Soviets are all good candidates for later nations. The Dutch at a stretch.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The world of warships wiki is still apparently under NDA lock down.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Vengarr posted:

There's probably enough paper designs to fill out quite a few nations with only a relative handful of ships, like the Netherlands and Germany. There's the Vichy French fleet too.

This stuff right here is going to be awesome - you think paper tanks will make 'spergers mouths froth, then paper ships will launch them straight to the moon.

It will be glorious.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

I don't know about mid tiers but it seems like French destroyers should have a full tree of actually built and commissioned ships.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dammit_Carl! posted:

This stuff right here is going to be awesome - you think paper tanks will make 'spergers mouths froth, then paper ships will launch them straight to the moon.

It will be glorious.

Funnily there's usually an average of five or so configurations that got seriously considered for each class of ship, and most are a lot more fleshed out than paper tanks.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ships took so long to build though that most of them were prewar designs anyway, the only big things they changed was AA and radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Cythereal posted:

French, Italians, and Soviets are all good candidates for later nations. The Dutch at a stretch.

All signs indicate that the russians will be the third tree to be implemented. Can't wait for russian hoverships straight from SerB's design bureau.