Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been spamming the Haida in Bronze ranked and this thing is just loving insane. Extremely low spotting distance, good fire power, good torps, crawling smoke and personal hydro. Unless you're bringing radar ships and know how to play them, you're gonna have trouble dealing with a Haida.

Absolutely love this little Canadian Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm still so torn about dumping a ton of resources into the Kitakami.

Played it during Alpha/Beta and I know it's not great and probably worse with the new reloading mechanic. But nostalgia is one helluva drug...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hammerstein posted:

I'm still so torn about dumping a ton of resources into the Kitakami.

Played it during Alpha/Beta and I know it's not great and probably worse with the new reloading mechanic. But nostalgia is one helluva drug...

I mean, if you've got the resources, why not? You can always get more and at this point coal and research points are almost worthless because they're putting out new stuff for those so slowly, and most of it is extremely meh. It's gonna be a very rare and unique ship and could be a lot of fun in ranked or just for making pubbies so incandescently angry they'll write you a John Galt monologue after the game.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

[...]or just for making pubbies so incandescently angry they'll write you a John Galt monologue after the game.

You convinced me. I'm dumping my resource stash on it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Schlieffen is just goofy in asym.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone hasn't logged in for 30+ days, the code SANTA2023 will get you a Yamato. Permanently.

If you have logged in within the last 30 days, it will get you 5 days of premium and a crate.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Its kinda sad when I think how long it took me to get Yamato (my first T10) to see it dished out for free like that. Back then, with less economic bonuses, not always having premium time, generally not knowing what i was doing, I think it took over 400 battles to get it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's also some gingerbread men in the armoury section with dubs/cash for santa crates, if you click them in the right order you get another free santa crate

There's no forums where people might put instructions anymore, so watch flamu do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMSEy5AlxQ

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good loving lord the Yumihari might be the worst T8 battleship I have played in the game. This thing is complete loving trash.

You have 8 guns, and you're so loving inaccurate you'll be lucky to hit two shells from 5km out. You have low HP, your armour is complete dog poo poo and you have zero utility. The most obvious free XP bait they've put in the game for ages.

E:

gently caress it, life's too short. I free XP'd that poo poo, the Adatara is immedaitely a ton better because you have overmatch.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 10, 2023

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The uh... new TX Defence UK CA is absolutely insane. Des Moines AP angles, 356mm guns, pin-point accuracy, quick reloads, UK DD smokes, hydro, forward firing torps, bonkers firing angles on forward facing guns, good heals, insane HE... a complete monster. Blowing a huge amount of resources for the Kitakami certainly is not worth it but god drat. God drat is the Defence good. Spend half as much and just stop there.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm not sure if I should keep grinding the Adatara for the Bungo. Eight guns is real lovely in the game right now, because due to the crazy amount of various artillery bugs you miss so many loving shots, and when you do hit, you usually just get overpens.

The Izumo doesn't feel much better, but at least the Yamato ought to be worth it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

masterpine posted:

The uh... new TX Defence UK CA is absolutely insane. Des Moines AP angles, 356mm guns, pin-point accuracy, quick reloads, UK DD smokes, hydro, forward firing torps, bonkers firing angles on forward facing guns, good heals, insane HE... a complete monster. Blowing a huge amount of resources for the Kitakami certainly is not worth it but god drat. God drat is the Defence good. Spend half as much and just stop there.

Heh

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hmm, I could get the Defence now if I bought the 12000 gold 360 days of premium and used those days to fill out my resources. Sadly I just bought a steel ship a week ago back when we all thought the Defence was going to be poop from a butt.

~40 euros for a T10 isn't a bad deal, considering.

But I'm also on the Kitakaze on my RB regrind, and there's not really anything I desperately want from the RB ship selection so I guess I'll finish that and use those instead to lessen the premium day hit.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hmm, I could get the Defence now if I bought the 12000 gold 360 days of premium and used those days to fill out my resources. Sadly I just bought a steel ship a week ago back when we all thought the Defence was going to be poop from a butt.

~40 euros for a T10 isn't a bad deal, considering.

But I'm also on the Kitakaze on my RB regrind, and there's not really anything I desperately want from the RB ship selection so I guess I'll finish that and use those instead to lessen the premium day hit.

I would not go out of your way for Defence. It's really not that crazy. I has very good guns, a very mediocre hull, and no AA. It has low carry potential in any game where you need to start trading HP to make plays. It's fun but not essential. Don't break your whole bank on it is my advice.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

toadee posted:

I would not go out of your way for Defence. It's really not that crazy. I has very good guns, a very mediocre hull, and no AA. It has low carry potential in any game where you need to start trading HP to make plays. It's fun but not essential. Don't break your whole bank on it is my advice.

Yeah that's probably also accurate. Honestly the steel is the only one of my resources I really care about, because I have the coal boats I want, and none of the RB boats I don't have feel that interesting or in danger of leaving the selection.

But yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out on how the perception of the bote changes, there's time until the start of February anyway.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Lmao.

Won a tier VII ship container from a WG event...

...got 12,750,000 credits because apparently I have every tier 7 ship and it won't even give you a lower tier or higher tier ship (of which I don't have all of).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These proposed carrier and submarine changes sound like a convoluted loving mess which is just going to make the game a turbo shitshow for a year.

Just leaving these here:

quote:

OUR NEW PROTOTYPE
The core aspect of our prototype is that aircraft carrier planes will have two different modes: travel mode and attack mode. The differences between the two modes are outlined below.

TRAVEL MODE
We don't want aircraft carrier planes to spot enemy ships while traveling—only when they’re attacking. This will reduce the majority of random spotting that aircraft carriers provide while scouting for targets to strike.
Planes will be able to travel at maximum speed in this mode.
While traveling, the aircraft carrier will only have the information provided by the spotting of allied ships.
Surface ships will be able to spot enemy aircraft carriers’ planes during this period if in range, but their AA guns will not be able to engage them.
However, the Defensive AA Fire and Fighter consumables can be used against planes in the traveling phase.
Additionally, we are working on adding a new consumable for aircraft carriers which will work in a similar way as Hydrophone, but with limitations. The consumable will only provide brief information on enemy ship positioning, without the ability to track targets over a period of time.

WHILE ATTACKING
When launching an attack, the planes will be able to spot enemy ships.
At the same time, the AA from surface ships will be able to fire at the planes.
In case the aircraft carrier keeps attacking the same ship repeatedly, the ship’s AA strength will get significantly stronger for a period of time–making it counterproductive for aircraft carriers to keep focusing on the same target.
We also want to provide a new counter-play mechanic for surface ships that amounts to "blinding the carrier"–surface ships will be able to restrict the spotting ability of an aircraft carrier for a period of time, resulting in the inability to see and strike ships effectively that would otherwise not be spotted by allies. This mechanic will, however, not be effective against proxy-spotting.
Additionally, this prototype allows us to experiment with the concept of adding another layer of depth in gameplay and control for aircraft carrier players–taking manual control of some their guns, similar to Main Battery guns on surface ships, when not controlling a squadron. These will be the largest-caliber secondary guns available on the carrier. This should provide a new way to deal with close-range targets.

quote:

As another step in solving the "shotgunning" problem, we will test torpedoes with a gradual speed and damage increase over range. If this solution is effective enough and is a good fit for our game, some more submarines torpedoes may be rebalanced to be less dangerous in close proximity, but more powerful at longer range.
Dynamic torpedo speed: The torpedoes will be very slow when first launched until a certain range (for example, the first 3km), and then their speed will gradually increase. This should give surface ships more opportunities to evade "shotgun" attacks.
Dynamic torpedo damage: Similarly, the damage from the torpedoes will be very low within close proximity, and after traveling some distance, their potential damage will increase.
Some submarine upgrades will also be updated.
We’re planning to update submarine Commander skills, most likely in the first half of the year. Quite some time has passed since their introduction, which has allowed us to gather enough data and feedback to revamp them. There is quite a wide scope of changes, and we can't share an exact date yet as a result, but we will keep you updated.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/upcoming-changes-to-aircraft-carriers-and-submarines/

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

What is so complicated? Planes at travel altitudes can't spot anything, can only get his by fighters and DFAA. Planes at attack altitude are slower, can get hit by everything, but now also can spot. Planes that loiter around a single target face increasing AA damage. All of this adds welcome depth and actual counterplay to the CV/Surface skip experience and eliminates 'accidental spotting'

For subs, more stuff gets better asw, sub torps get worse at hitting things close range, subs get a better rudder to compensate.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

As someone who recently came back and has basically given up on DD's because of constant plane and sub focus, I think the changes sound great. The devil will be in the details of course, but admitting the problem is normally a difficult first step for WoWS.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m testing a cv and even as a player who touches CVs once a year and is not remotely competent it’s loving obvious how miserable the plane spotting and harassment can be, and there’s zero effective counter play to either punish me or make it cost something. This change can’t come soon enough.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I will mention that one evening years ago I played zero damage Enterprise. I took all the fighter skills, and did nothing but hound the enemy CVs planes and spot for my.team. I div'd with two clan mates and we ended the evening 10-2. I did literally zero damage all twelve games. CV impact is insane right now and has been for years.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Hi, I started playing this cursed game again and quick question—one of my ships has been in battle for ages now, and it was right before a presumed upgrade on the ship tree. Are they testing my patience so that I’ll spend some global xp or whatever? Bug? Feature I don’t understand?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I feel like I'm going against the grain, but I don't think these proposed changes will make the game significantly better.

The last two major changes to the game were the CV rework and addition of subs, and both of those made the game worse. From my perspective, not significantly worse to the extent I felt like quitting, but still both a step backwards.

I mean it feels to me like players of BBs, cruisers and DDs all complain fairly equally about CVs and subs, well this change feels like it will massively benefit DDs only. BB and cruiser players lives might get worse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

toadee posted:

What is so complicated? Planes at travel altitudes can't spot anything, can only get his by fighters and DFAA. Planes at attack altitude are slower, can get hit by everything, but now also can spot. Planes that loiter around a single target face increasing AA damage. All of this adds welcome depth and actual counterplay to the CV/Surface skip experience and eliminates 'accidental spotting'

Well, there's also the "we're adding a hydrophone like consumable to planes so they can kinda see where enemies are when flying fast but not really", and the "surface ships have a consumable they can use to blind the CV", which brings back some of the old RTS CV feel of your whole team being turbo hosed if the enemy has a competent CV and you don't, and the "surface ships' AA gets stronger if the CV attacks them repeatedly", and the "to compensate for all this the CV player can now manually shoot their secondaries".

I am all for adding depth and counterplay to the CV/surface ship relationship, because the lack of it has always been the problem. But this feels like it will just make 95% of CV players just ignore spotting and scouting completely because "they no longer can do it", and the "repeated attacks against ships buffs their AA" is a massive nerf to every CV, except of course Soviet CVs.

I mean we'll see how it all shakes out in the end, but right now it just feels like a bit of a mess.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Hi, I started playing this cursed game again and quick question—one of my ships has been in battle for ages now, and it was right before a presumed upgrade on the ship tree. Are they testing my patience so that I’ll spend some global xp or whatever? Bug? Feature I don’t understand?

I don't get it. They changed it so that even if your ship is in battle, you can still just play with it, so if the game is saying your ship is in battle and you can't play it, that feels like you've found a pretty big bug.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 17, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The changes don't mention whether planes at cruise altitude will still know when THEY'VE been spotted, do they? Cause that's how CVs find destroyers a lot of the time I feel (this feeling is not backed up by evidence or experience, just vibes)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well, that's the Yamato grind done. Wasn't too bad with Asymmetric Battles.

Now I need to decided if I want the legendary upgrade or not. Basically do I want to trade 12% reload speed for 7% accuracy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's one of the best in the game, and yamato is one of the few BBs where the turret traverse penalty on the reload mod is actually keenly loving felt.

That said, it's fine both ways.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gwaihir posted:

It's one of the best in the game, and yamato is one of the few BBs where the turret traverse penalty on the reload mod is actually keenly loving felt.

That said, it's fine both ways.

Yeah that's a good point: the DPM mod also has the turret traverse penalty. And it's not like you're machine gunning in a Yamato anyway.

E: Good lord, the UU is 19200 RP.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 18, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lol, I took another look at the Defence purchase, because last time I left it with the impression that I could get it with just a few more points. And sure enough, if I pump my stuff in the converter, the bar is very close to the Defence!

But then I looked down to see what the actual progress in stages was: 25/40.

That's just loving misleading UI design, and knowing WG, 100% intentionally. In any case I took myself out of the running by buying the Yamato legendary mod and zeroing out my RP.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think I and a lot of long-time players can justify going as far as the Defense pretty easily (Kitakami is another story). Its steep but there's 3 ships total (and I think the Italian cruiser is supposed to be good as well) and as someone who has every T10 coal ship except Salem and every RB ship except Siegfried and the trash Van Spejk, I don't have a lot left to do with the resources. I wouldn't have minded starting to pick up some leg mods, but they are pretty expensive.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Yammy legendary mod is one of the few mods that you can argue are worth spending RP on, with so many TX ships with better hulls and overmatch in the game you really need to amp up the accuracy to make Yamato stand out. Des Moines and Moskva close behind IMHO, then maybe Gearing? Petro?

Unless you're poopsocking and have FXP/RP in infinite amounts the costs are just too drat high for so little, which is a shame because they were nice as fun little bonuses for ships you already liked playing before the change.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

I think I and a lot of long-time players can justify going as far as the Defense pretty easily (Kitakami is another story).

Yeah absolutely, I'm not shaming anyone for getting it. If I hadn't just used a lot of my steel before this event kicked off, I would've gotten it too because it seems a lot more interesting than any of the coal and steel ships I didn't have yet. I just realized that my coal reserves + the remains of steel and RB I had left weren't enough to get me anywhere CLOSE to the Defence after all, and I'm not gonna drop 15 months' worth of premium time to get it. And also I'm not going to be able to get ~10 levels' worth of RB and steel in a month and a half, unless I just poopsock all night every night.

I'll wait until it comes around for steel in a year and get it then if people haven't discovered the one weird trick to making it blow up. And if it doesn't come back, well... I already have the Marseille and can probably make do.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 19, 2023

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

masterpine posted:

Yammy legendary mod is one of the few mods that you can argue are worth spending RP on, with so many TX ships with better hulls and overmatch in the game you really need to amp up the accuracy to make Yamato stand out. Des Moines and Moskva close behind IMHO, then maybe Gearing? Petro?

Unless you're poopsocking and have FXP/RP in infinite amounts the costs are just too drat high for so little, which is a shame because they were nice as fun little bonuses for ships you already liked playing before the change.

HIV and Khaba leg mods are very good. Khaba is nearly required to make the ship usable IMO. Leg mod Lighthouse HIV gets sub-9sec reload on those guns.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Changes for cvs and subs feel like a graft by the devs to their own bosses, so it looks like they are being innovative but its just dogshit solutions that will lead to more engine fuckery.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
jesus it took them how many years to realize that having CVs that have unparalleled spotting ability and good damage application in a risk free package was probably not a great idea

wake me up if they actually do something and not just talk about it

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
1/1/1 Bogue for lyfe

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the comical part is that the russian server's recent CV change was to make attack aircraft only spot on the minimap for other players, and fighter consumables only spot things within 2km and again only on the minimap

anyway I'm sure this enormous rube goldberg revamp will totally work better than that

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I say buff all CV's. Double damage, permanent spotting on detected vessels, 100% fire/flooding chance on strikes and make them spawn off-map so they cant be shot.

Buff all subs too. 200knt torps, can all call in airstrikes and give them constant health recovery.

Oh and also gently caress both classes off into their own little leper colony game mode so I never have to see those loving things ever again. I have played very very few Random game all year, almost exclusively play ranked or other game modes that don't have either of those loving things. Zero interest in playing WoWs with that poo poo.

Burns
May 10, 2008

200kn torpedoes would probably break the engine in new and incredible ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Burns posted:

200kn torpedoes would probably break the engine in new and incredible ways.

They already did 200kn torps in an event years ago, it was a blast.