Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I sold my Kawachi and bought a Myogi, not grasping that it has the speed of a cruiser and the turn radius of the Great Pyramid.

How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Only last night did I realize that holy crap using those pips for aiming is maybe actually halfway useful :downs:

With said knowledge, I played like three matches in my Wyoming and didn't do shittily in all of them. I even managed to get a good Wakatake game in, and I am 2000% garbage in that thing.

Apparently they key to not being terrible is to shitpost for the first minute of a match and then tag along with whichever group seems like it might be able to not evaporate at first contact.

Also I'd like it to be noted to whoever is saying that citadels are unreliable that I am a bad and can get reliable citadels, please git bad like me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So I had three missions for torpedo hits. It seemed like a good time to drag out my wickes. One obliging team with multiple battleships hanging out near islands later I got 18 torpedo hits in a single match by soloing four different ships.

Sometimes I love pubbies.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

So I had three missions for torpedo hits. It seemed like a good time to drag out my wickes. One obliging team with multiple battleships hanging out near islands later I got 18 torpedo hits in a single match by soloing four different ships.

Sometimes I love pubbies.

Sometimes pubbies just need to catch all of the torps. Those are the best matches. The earlier US DDs with tubes on both sides are great for blazing in to a tight area, and dumping torps all over the place before going out in a blaze of glory, and watching the torp hits roll in. They're a blast to play.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
7-kill game in the Grim Reaper, including two cases of successful chemotherapy. 2,861 base XP (4,292 after modifiers), 527,661 credits, 169,015 total damage, finished the match off with a double strike by fire and flooding.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

I sold my Kawachi and bought a Myogi, not grasping that it has the speed of a cruiser and the turn radius of the Great Pyramid.

How hosed am I?

Free XP to Hull C and about 10k XP into the grind to the Kongo I finally started to suck less with it. At max range it simulates being a carwash for enemy ships.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Why are they allowing the top-down camera mods? It's really dumb when there's an Atlanta sitting behind an island 10km away from you just shooting a constant stream of napalm without any fear of return fire.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dezztroy posted:

Why are they allowing the top-down camera mods? It's really dumb when there's an Atlanta sitting behind an island 10km away from you just shooting a constant stream of napalm without any fear of return fire.

If your guns arc high enough you can shoot back at it. Otherwise I don't think it's that bad a game mechanic, you can always drive away from the island.

You don't need a top down camera to shoot over islands. It's not perfectly consistent, but if you target a ship behind the island and then aim as if the island isn't there you'll usually shoot over it. If you hit the island doing that, it's probably because your guns don't arc high enough.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

My efforts are entirely invested in the US tree but for the life of me i can't play destroyers worh poo poo, any advice on good videos or generic tips on how to play destroyers? when do i deploy smoke, and when do i use my guns or torps? it seems like bar is predictable to alot of players, it would greatly help to know how to shoot them without relying on it.

Also i sucked my way to the Clemson, its actually pretty good with the gun upgrade as a destroyer hunter.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

ChickenWing posted:

Only last night did I realize that holy crap using those pips for aiming is maybe actually halfway useful :downs:

With said knowledge, I played like three matches in my Wyoming and didn't do shittily in all of them. I even managed to get a good Wakatake game in, and I am 2000% garbage in that thing.

Apparently they key to not being terrible is to shitpost for the first minute of a match and then tag along with whichever group seems like it might be able to not evaporate at first contact.

Also I'd like it to be noted to whoever is saying that citadels are unreliable that I am a bad and can get reliable citadels, please git bad like me.

Chicken, how? I mean, not getting HOW to use them makes sense, but wouldn't trial and error get you to something close to what was laid out in that post? :colbert:

Although yes, I agree with shitposting being the way to go in. AS IN LIFE, AS IN SEATONKS.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Finagle posted:

Chicken, how? I mean, not getting HOW to use them makes sense, but wouldn't trial and error get you to something close to what was laid out in that post? :colbert:

Although yes, I agree with shitposting being the way to go in. AS IN LIFE, AS IN SEATONKS.

I just eyeballed distances. I hardly even noticed the pips existed until last night :sun:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ChickenWing posted:

I just eyeballed distances. I hardly even noticed the pips existed until last night :sun:

I've known the pips existed, I just felt as if I need to get to a point where I can just eyeball/'feel' a shot like I did in WoT, since *nothing* helps you there with regards to knowing how far to lead, you just need to get a feel for the gun.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I eye ball my first shot and use the pips to correct from there. For example if my first shot just missed the tip of the bow, I then count how many pips it is from there to the center of the ship and move my aim by that much.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I put their ship

in my pip

and then they die.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The issue of subs came up in chat. Right as I was about to lay out the many very valid reasons subs would be awful in this game (both to play and to fight against), a pubbie asserts that "there were no sub killers until after the war" and that "subs would be invincible". Someone points out ASDIC was developed at the end of WWI and in quite widespread US and British service from the outset of WWII, and I chime in that the RN was sticking it on vessels as small as trawlers. Nope, apparently not, because this guy claims to "know a lot about war". He then backpedals after a while, saying "it was near the end of the war in 1943"; he follows this gem with "1944 was the end". Once I point out that it actually ended in mid-1945, he says "but there was only a little bit".

:psyduck:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
God I love the Murmansk.

I should probably get premium one of these days. Lost out on 750-ish exp because I don't have it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fizzil posted:

My efforts are entirely invested in the US tree but for the life of me i can't play destroyers worh poo poo, any advice on good videos or generic tips on how to play destroyers? when do i deploy smoke, and when do i use my guns or torps? it seems like bar is predictable to alot of players, it would greatly help to know how to shoot them without relying on it.

Also i sucked my way to the Clemson, its actually pretty good with the gun upgrade as a destroyer hunter.

I'm learning them too, but what I've found is to not heavily rely on your torpedoes. By all means use them when the opportunity arrives, but in general practice your gunnery. You have good hitting power and range for your size. US DDs are great for countering Japanese DDs. Dodge his torpedoes and turn him into swiss cheese.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

I'm learning them too, but what I've found is to not heavily rely on your torpedoes. By all means use them when the opportunity arrives, but in general practice your gunnery. You have good hitting power and range for your size. US DDs are great for countering Japanese DDs. Dodge his torpedoes and turn him into swiss cheese.

US DDs can also citadel pen Japanese Cruisers, because Japanese cruisers are built out of 50% cherry blossom and 50% citadel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What I do find annoying about the US DD line is hull upgrades that remove one gun. Sure you get more AA and stuff but losing one turret is 20% of your firepower.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rossmum posted:

The issue of subs came up in chat. Right as I was about to lay out the many very valid reasons subs would be awful in this game (both to play and to fight against), a pubbie asserts that "there were no sub killers until after the war" and that "subs would be invincible". Someone points out ASDIC was developed at the end of WWI and in quite widespread US and British service from the outset of WWII, and I chime in that the RN was sticking it on vessels as small as trawlers. Nope, apparently not, because this guy claims to "know a lot about war". He then backpedals after a while, saying "it was near the end of the war in 1943"; he follows this gem with "1944 was the end". Once I point out that it actually ended in mid-1945, he says "but there was only a little bit".

Fun things you might not have known, the earliest dipping sonar was deployed from flying boats in WWI.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Today I saw a carrier player bitching at the rest of us for not rushing to save him because he sat on his rear end at spawn and never paid attention to all those incoming enemy cruisers.

We won the match just fine without him. :coal:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was playing with a friend who was playing a Carrier and we actually used him as a trap, a pair of St. Louis's lurking near him and killing the three DDs who came after him one at a time before moving on to play the rest of the match. It was kind of a hilarious reversal of the norm.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Open ocean map, they have 2 carriers, we have zero. "Hey guys, we need to rush and be aggressive or those carriers will bleed us dry". Team does the usual hug the edge of map and skirmish poo poo, slowly losses match.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Night10194 posted:

US DDs can also citadel pen Japanese Cruisers, because Japanese cruisers are built out of 50% cherry blossom and 50% citadel.

What really? I never really used AP on destroyers, figured 5" guns aren't going to pack enough punch to get through bigger hulls.

Might need to give it a try!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

What really? I never really used AP on destroyers, figured 5" guns aren't going to pack enough punch to get through bigger hulls.

Might need to give it a try!

A lot of earlier Japanese Cruisers are actually Destroyer Leads like the Tenryu, designed to be a heavier flagship for a small unit of Destroyers. I know I've citadeled Tenryu's with a Wicks.

awesomecopter
Aug 16, 2012

Night10194 posted:

A lot of earlier Japanese Cruisers are actually Destroyer Leads like the Tenryu, designed to be a heavier flagship for a small unit of Destroyers. I know I've citadeled Tenryu's with a Wicks.

Chikuma, Tenryu, Kuma, Phoenix, and Omaha have Citadels that can be penetrated by 5 inch guns when broadside.

It's not uncommon to beat all of the above except Omaha in gunfight with a Gremy, because your guns citadel for 2.5k every shot, and you have no citadel.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sperglord Actual posted:

Today I saw a carrier player bitching at the rest of us for not rushing to save him because he sat on his rear end at spawn and never paid attention to all those incoming enemy cruisers.

We won the match just fine without him. :coal:

Were we in the same game?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How often do people get magazine explosions? I've only had 2, one in my Omaha, and one in my Nicholas. It is nice that the game gives you a break with the 'won't happen again for 10 battles' flags. Both mine happened on having full health, and I can't remember if I dealt a magazine hit to enemy ships (or just hit their citadel when they were under 10,000 health).

Has anyone used that Ramming Flag to good effect? I noticed ramming seems to be a mutually assured destruction event; if both ships are of the same class they both blow up (to hilarious ends; a New York at 90% health rammed my New York which was on fire and at 5% and we BOTH blew up!). Ramming is always fun (was a riot in WoT) but generally ships that are the most susceptible to getting rammed are nimble enough to swerve out of the way. I figure you only have a good chance of ramming them if they get stuck on the rocks and are trying to back up or something.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm really trying not to bitch about Carriers, but its a little silly that the only thing that threatens them is other carriers. They go 35knts, can functionally perfectly fine at full speed on maps that take even faster destroyers 3+ minutes to cross. I don't know what the solution is, but there really is no rock paper scissors action with them - they have no real counter.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I hate to accidentally post something NTRabbit might agree with, but I can't wait until HE fire chance gets nerfed, even as someone who uses it a lot on DDs/cruisers. It's infuriating to be on the receiving end of HE spam from two or three different Omahas and Clevelands at once because your chucklefuck cruisers are too busy firing AP at a nearby battleship to keep them off you while you deal with something your own size. They're easy to citadel at any range, but when there are several of them, 30 second reloads cost too many HP.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You can citadel hit tier 2-4 Japanese cruisers, Chester, Phoenix, Omaha and Langley with the 120 mm guns on low tier Japanese destroyers. You might not be able to citadel hit an Omaha at longer range, I've only tried when I was already close. I've also citadel hit a Myogi with a Wakatake, but I'm not convinced that wasn't just a one off. I don't know about other carriers, usually I shoot HE if it isn't a Langley.

I think the 5"/38 has some more penetration than the 120mm, and the 4" guns have a bit less. I don't think it's enough to change things completely.

rossmum posted:

Submarine obsession is pretty funny because (if I remember right) the US/UK were preparing for ASW against the electric submarines before any of them were actually in service. And that's for one of the rare wunderwaffen that were actually ahead of their counterparts.

Also because the US/UK/Netherlands conducted a submarine campaign to far greater effect than the Nazis ever did, and the submarine proponents never, ever mention it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know get why anybody is complaining about subs not being in. DDs fill the role of subs with the limiting factor on their invisibility being terrain and distance, rather than a top speed of 9 knots

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Submarine obsession is pretty funny because (if I remember right) the US/UK were preparing for ASW against the electric submarines before any of them were actually in service. And that's for one of the rare wunderwaffen that were actually ahead of their counterparts.

Also because the US/UK/Netherlands conducted a submarine campaign to far greater effect than the Nazis ever did, and the submarine proponents never, ever mention it.

Either HMS Selene or Seraph was the first high underwater speed optimized submarine the Allies dealt with because she was ready first.

The Electroboots were cool and all, but they were just following in the footsteps of the Japanese Submarine number 71, which was faster than the type XXIs, and the I-201 and Ha-201s were also not awful high underwater speed subs.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Panfilo posted:

What I do find annoying about the US DD line is hull upgrades that remove one gun. Sure you get more AA and stuff but losing one turret is 20% of your firepower.
Those are a waste of credits. You have to research them anyway to unlock the next destroyer, but screw spending 500k credits to be less effective. If a carrier decides to park a fighter over you, you are screwed until you can slip away while they are distracted controlling bombers. It would take 3-4 minutes to kill a full squadron of fighters even with the additional AA.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

OSad posted:

I put their ship

in my pip

and then they die.

What the heck is pip?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I think i figured it out guys :coal:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I'm not willing to discard submarines as a bad idea completely, but I'd rather they'd be limited to a scouting role of sorts, and have limited armaments in them. Like, two to six torpedoes or something and you're only allowed to shoot at other submarines. You don't have to kill the submarines to win, you just have to kill the ships you can see above ground. And if a submarine wanders under you, maybe make it so you start dumping some sort of depth charge automatically on it?

The submarine players get to play their own little game against themselves, and this would actually help with the abhorrent tier 8 draw rate. A submarine can find fleeing ships and help the team actually finish the game. But who the gently caress am I kidding, submarine players just want to dunk every other type of ship out in the open sea while remaining concealed so it's never gonna happen.

Maybe they'd be fun on a PvE game mode or something?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
How is any of that better than just having a DD in a match?

Carriers already break symmetry and kludge in extra stuff but at least they do things fundamentally different from the other ship classes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The funny thing about Submarines is that they'd be horribly underpowered in this game. Their submerged speed would generally be a fraction of their surface speed.

On the surface, they'd be even more fragile than Destroyers, with far less armament. Submerged, they'd be slow as hell, and relegated to guarding control points.

Destroyers would murder them. With 40+ kt speeds using speed boosts, they'd easily detect and chase down enemy submarines. There are lots of ASW options they could give players- Depth Charges, Hedgehogs, ASW planes, etc.

Historically, submarines have a poor record of engaging in enemy warships. Warships are fast, tend to have escorts looking out for submarines. If you've ever played the Silent Hunter games you know that Warships tend to not be a preferable target since they can fight back and tend to be much much faster than merchant ships.

I'd love submarines to be added (even though they never would) because it would make low-tier carriers very useful. Baby CVs made great anti submarine platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I started playing this tonight and really enjoyed it. So far I played about 8 games in my T1 US Cruiser. I reached account level 2 and have about 150,000 credits but I haven't been able to access other ships. Can someone explain in basics how I get money and best ways to spend it? Is buying upgrades for my crap cruisers a waste? Also why are there 2 currencies?

I want to get into a carrier ASAP and have decided at a cursory glance to go with US, is that a mistake?