Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
I've never been so confused ingame.... yep that is an Iowa and if a Lexi going down middle

Spoiler alert, we lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Lexington just wanted to bust out those sick secondaries yo

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Man are the propulsion/steering/or dot timer upgrades really worth a million spacebucks? seems a bit steep to me. Driving a Cleveland/Minekaze right now, but im considering going up one of the BB trees. Kongo seems like a pretty attainable goal at only tier V, but ive heard the ships before it are urinal cakes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Michi88 posted:

I've never been so confused ingame.... yep that is an Iowa and if a Lexi going down middle

Spoiler alert, we lost.

My buddy and I did this in our Wyomings because we'd just had two insanely boring Two Brothers matches in them and figured it'd be funnier than just quitting out.

We destroyed two Destroyers, made it up the middle, and killed a pair of Cruisers before we went down.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I got the St. Louis and I've yet to survive a battle. I keep getting stuck in and then dying when my allies either run, or die. Every so often though I'm caught in the middle of a bunch of enemy ships since the only thing ships can do is go forward, they have no reverse, and they have to keep moving to survive and so I keep moving forward.

How do I stop dying?

I try go go around the corners to shore up the sides especially since the battleships are going down middle, but sometimes I go the route I'm closest to only to find that no one else on my team had gone that way and then I die horribly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

I got the St. Louis and I've yet to survive a battle. I keep getting stuck in and then dying when my allies either run, or die. Every so often though I'm caught in the middle of a bunch of enemy ships since the only thing ships can do is go forward, they have no reverse, and they have to keep moving to survive and so I keep moving forward.

How do I stop dying?

I try go go around the corners to shore up the sides especially since the battleships are going down middle, but sometimes I go the route I'm closest to only to find that no one else on my team had gone that way and then I die horribly.

Hang back a little and watch where the Pubswarm goes. Stick with them and never be the first one in, the first guy in gets focused on, even if you're the first one in on a flank.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Start off at half-speed to see which way everyone's going, then go full steam once a trend is clear.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Whomever said the Pensacola was bad was wrong. Much better then it use to be. I like it better then the cleveland, the shells are faster and hit hard.

How do we change usernames? Should I add a GOON_ infront of my name so everyhody inows to shootme first, or should I change it to renegade legion or FOG.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Okay, how do I identify who my own teammates are? A guy in the last round I was in asked if I wanted to join him in carrier-hunting, except I had no idea where he was. Do I just check to see what ship he's sailing, then memorize the appearance of every ship and keep an eye out for the class he's steaming away on?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ofaloaf posted:

Okay, how do I identify who my own teammates are? A guy in the last round I was in asked if I wanted to join him in carrier-hunting, except I had no idea where he was. Do I just check to see what ship he's sailing, then memorize the appearance of every ship and keep an eye out for the class he's steaming away on?

Alt key shows the names over their ships, along with everything else.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Hang back a little and watch where the Pubswarm goes. Stick with them and never be the first one in, the first guy in gets focused on, even if you're the first one in on a flank.

Always follow the swarm huh? Ok got it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

Always follow the swarm huh? Ok got it.

It's safer than being alone, even if it's really not ideal due to pubs being pubs.

We had a guy today spend the entire game hiding on a map edge in his BB screaming orders at everyone else. He was a loving Kongo and he did nothing all game.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

OSad posted:

what's the name of the website that lets you see these models again? I know that they're butte and make you pay for anything past tier 7, but it's better than nothing.

That would be http://gamemodels3d.com/

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The idea of introducing submarines into a game where the only ships for them to hunt are warships is just plain dumb. That's not what submarines were for. You may as well wish that they would put armed trawlers in. Yeah you get to gimmick about, but even a destroyer will kill you without noticing because you're poo poo in that environment.

People who clamors for submarines have no loving idea what they're asking for. Submarines back in the days were slow as gently caress ambush weapons. You think your 18knt BB is too slow? Enjoy your lovely 9knt submerged coffin that can't get anywhere or do anything unless someone comes at you.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

UberJew posted:

German subs very much did not prefer to use deck guns

Germans had learnt their lesson from WWI. In the first world war, it was common for German to surface, have crews disenbark their ship and then sink it using the deck gun. The fact that a sub had maybe 6 torpedoes total meant that the deck gun was the weapon of choice. When the british started arming their merchant ships, quite a few submarine were lost this way. Eventually, unrestricted submarine warfare became the rule of the day and they stopped doing this, prefering instead to just send ships at the bottom with no warning.

When WWII came around, they knew better than to have their subs surface and sunk. Torpedoes were also a much better weapon, subs could carry more of them so they became the number one weapon. Evetntually, deck guns were completely phased out since they were now useless.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

Dalael posted:

Germans had learnt their lesson from WWI. In the first world war, it was common for German to surface, have crews disenbark their ship and then sink it using the deck gun. The fact that a sub had maybe 6 torpedoes total meant that the deck gun was the weapon of choice. When the british started arming their merchant ships, quite a few submarine were lost this way. Eventually, unrestricted submarine warfare became the rule of the day and they stopped doing this, prefering instead to just send ships at the bottom with no warning.

When WWII came around, they knew better than to have their subs surface and sunk. Torpedoes were also a much better weapon, subs could carry more of them so they became the number one weapon. Evetntually, deck guns were completely phased out since they were now useless.

I don't typically chime in on history conversations, but I will make an exception when people are wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wahoo_(SS-238)

"The next day, Wahoo sighted the freighter Satsuki Maru. She launched two torpedoes; when both exploded prematurely, Wahoo "battle surfaced" to use her deck guns. She closed the target, raked her with 20 mm shells and struck her with almost 90 rounds of four-inch shells. The target caught fire in several places and sank in about one hour.

Wahoo left the following morning to investigate a ship on the horizon. This target proved to be a small diesel-driven freighter. The submarine commenced firing with her 20 mm and four-inch deck guns. The freighter tried to ram her, but Wahoo maneuvered clear, and then continued firing at the target, setting her ablaze from stem to stern, and leaving her dead in the water. The crew took turns looking through the periscope as the freighter sank.

Later that day, Wahoo sighted a 100 long tons (100 t) trawler and again attacked with her deck guns. When all three of her 20 mm guns jammed, the Wahoo went alongside the riddled trawler and the sailors of Wahoo hurled homemade Molotov cocktails (gifts from the U.S. Marines at Midway Atoll) onto the trawler. Wahoo departed, leaving the fishing boat wrecked, spouting flame and smoke. On 28 March, while on the surface astride the Shimonoseki-Formosa shipping route, Wahoo opened fire with two 20 mm guns on two motor sampans. The targets did not sink but they were also left in a wrecked condition."

Other than that, I agree that subs would be an awful addition.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

jownzy posted:

1 of any set of 10?

If so, that's bonk.

Well, I just got a different set of 10. So I'm not sure what gives with the confederate ones. I definitely didn't get confederate in the last 24 hours.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Psychosis 01 posted:

I don't typically chime in on history conversations, but I will make an exception when people are wrong

"The next day, Wahoo sighted the freighter Satsuki Maru. She launched two torpedoes; when both exploded prematurely, Wahoo "battle surfaced" to use her deck guns. She closed the target, raked her with 20 mm shells and struck her with almost 90 rounds of four-inch shells. The target caught fire in several places and sank in about one hour.

Wahoo left the following morning to investigate a ship on the horizon. This target proved to be a small diesel-driven freighter. The submarine commenced firing with her 20 mm and four-inch deck guns. The freighter tried to ram her, but Wahoo maneuvered clear, and then continued firing at the target, setting her ablaze from stem to stern, and leaving her dead in the water. The crew took turns looking through the periscope as the freighter sank.

Later that day, Wahoo sighted a 100 long tons (100 t) trawler and again attacked with her deck guns. When all three of her 20 mm guns jammed, the Wahoo went alongside the riddled trawler and the sailors of Wahoo hurled homemade Molotov cocktails (gifts from the U.S. Marines at Midway Atoll) onto the trawler. Wahoo departed, leaving the fishing boat wrecked, spouting flame and smoke. On 28 March, while on the surface astride the Shimonoseki-Formosa shipping route, Wahoo opened fire with two 20 mm guns on two motor sampans. The targets did not sink but they were also left in a wrecked condition."

They're talking about german subs, not american ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ranger isn't as bad as I thought. The only downside appears to being overly reliant on dive bombers. That wouldn't be that bad, but what's weird is that it's upgraded dive bombers are actually SLOWER than the stock ones in exchange for a pitiful increase in hit points. Other than that, it plays like a beefed up Independence.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

jownzy posted:

Well, I just got a different set of 10. So I'm not sure what gives with the confederate ones. I definitely didn't get confederate in the last 24 hours.

About the flags again, since I feel I haven't made myself totally clear: there are ten different flags in the game. By completing certain in-game achievements, you will, once a day, get ten units of a flag that is designated to that specific achievement.

For example; say that, in my ship (doesn't matter which), I ram another ship to death (also doesn't matter what), and survive said ramming. That awards me the Die-Hard achievement, and at the end of the game, I will receive 10 "Hotel Yankee" flags, which increase ramming damage to enemies while also reducing the effects of said ram on my ship.

Now that I have those ten Hotel Yankee flags, I cannot get them again for the day, even if I happen to get another Die-Hard achievement. I must wait until the daily doubles reset, which is at either 7:00 or 7:30 EST. After that, once I see that the x1.5's are back on my ship thumbnails, I am free to go ram some hapless fool again for another 10 Hotel Yankee flags. NOTE, this doesn't mean I cannot get any more flags for the day, period, it just means I've gotten my Hotel Yankee flags for the day. You can also get multiple sets of flags per game, so I could, for example, kill a destroyer with my battleship, and within ten seconds, ram another ship to death. This would award me both Die-Hard and Double Strike, netting me both ten units of Sierra Mike and ten units of Hotel Yankee.

You can check each individual flag requirement by going to Exterior in your docks, then go to the Signals tab, and hover over the different flags to see what achievement they require. There is one exception to the amount of flags you get in this game, and that is the Zulu flag: you can only get one flag a day as opposed to ten, probably because it's a 20% silver multiplier and wherein lies where the true grind of this game is: the silver credits.

OSad fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 28, 2015

Menelven
Mar 28, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Ranger isn't as bad as I thought. The only downside appears to being overly reliant on dive bombers. That wouldn't be that bad, but what's weird is that it's upgraded dive bombers are actually SLOWER than the stock ones in exchange for a pitiful increase in hit points. Other than that, it plays like a beefed up Independence.

My only complaint with the Ranger is how sub par its loadouts are in comparison to the same tier Japanese carrier. The Japanese one gets a 2/2/2 loadout for example.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

You have to pay them money to view anything tier 7 and higher?

Is there a site like this that doesn't suck?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Psychosis 01 posted:

Please explain how I am wrong?

You're talking about the USS Wahoo, an american sub. I was talking specifically about the Germans.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Wahoo is a pretty jovial name for a submarine. Is there also a USS Yippee and USS Booyah?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's named, much like other US Subs, after a fish.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

TSBX posted:

Goddamnit Wargaming, I've been on the same kill 8 planes in one battle mission for a week because I don't want to be a carrier, and my best AA is on my Phoenix and whoever I try to protect gets attacked 0% of the time from the air. Let me pay silver to make that poo poo go away already.

I kept getting those missions until I bought the Langley.

Ever since I got the captains kill for the secondary range I've had so much fun with my Warspite, new record, 2 DD and 1 CR killed by them in a single game.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 28, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wasn't paying attention and I got oneshot by a torpedo while in a destroyer. gently caress. :negative:

Edit: American destroyers are hard to use thanks to the short range on the torpedoes. I'm having a lot of difficulties.... I can't just sit behind an island and wait to ambush someone because sometimes people just don't push.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I just checked my battle statistics, and my average XP with the first three American BBs is 1371, and my best game in the NY was 3089 base xp. :getin:

It's be higher, but my poo poo stats in the Ark Beta are dragging it down, cause I can't get wins in that thing to save my life. :v:

e: in 20 battles my average omaha xp is over 1,500 :psyduck:

e2: 56.56% overall winrate :pusheen:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 28, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I don't know if this has been done anywhere before but I made a gold / sub value calculator. You can optimize your value by deciding how long you want to sub for vs how much money you're willing to pay up front etc. Obvious outcomes are that longer subs and more gold are cheaper. Less obvious is that a direct sub is consistently more expensive than buying an equivalent amount of gold from a similarly sized block and then buying a sub with gold.

Here's the table (all dollar figures in the main table are costs / 30 days of subscription for comparability):

Decide how long you want to sub for (left-most column), start at the column with at least that amount of gold (top-most row of numbers), then move right to the extent you want to or are willing to get more gold. The right-most two columns are there for reference so you can see that buying the sub directly is always more expensive than buying a sub via gold using the minimum block size larger than the gold you need.

For myself, I'm going to buy a 12,000 gold block, reserve 7500 for 3 months of premium (have to buy in 30-day blocks) and use the rest to buy whatever junk tickles my fancy, or possibly more subs if I can't find enough junk to buy.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 28, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ Thanks for this, it'll probably be the tipping point I needed to finally buy the Atlanta. 12,000 plus the 1800 that I have will give me the boat with ~5k left over. :)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Artificer posted:

I wasn't paying attention and I got oneshot by a torpedo while in a destroyer. gently caress. :negative:

Edit: American destroyers are hard to use thanks to the short range on the torpedoes. I'm having a lot of difficulties.... I can't just sit behind an island and wait to ambush someone because sometimes people just don't push.
Which destroyer? Nicholas through upgraded Benson, the guns are the main weapon. Scout for a group of friendlies and play picket ship to gun down enemy destroyers. When your pubswarm starts fighting bigger ships, wait until the enemy is engaged with other friendlies then dance at max range firing every 5 seconds. The enemy will try in vain to shoot you, giving your dumb pubbies a better chance at survival. Plus you will be doing 1-2k damage every 5 seconds.

Torps are weapons of opportunity. Only try to use them if you see an enemy heading toward a chokepoint or if you can get on the other side of a solo battleship without being spotted. If the battleship has its guns turned the other way, pop turbo and sail straight toward it. Wait as long as you can to launch torps so the enemy cannot dodge them.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

OSad posted:

Wahoo is a pretty jovial name for a submarine. Is there also a USS Yippee and USS Booyah?

It's the perfect name for a ship full of drunk rednecks shooting up cargo boats and setting a fish trawler on fire.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

grrarg posted:

Which destroyer? Nicholas through upgraded Benson, the guns are the main weapon. Scout for a group of friendlies and play picket ship to gun down enemy destroyers. When your pubswarm starts fighting bigger ships, wait until the enemy is engaged with other friendlies then dance at max range firing every 5 seconds. The enemy will try in vain to shoot you, giving your dumb pubbies a better chance at survival. Plus you will be doing 1-2k damage every 5 seconds.

Torps are weapons of opportunity. Only try to use them if you see an enemy heading toward a chokepoint or if you can get on the other side of a solo battleship without being spotted. If the battleship has its guns turned the other way, pop turbo and sail straight toward it. Wait as long as you can to launch torps so the enemy cannot dodge them.

I'm on the Wickes at the moment.

I've been trying to use the torpedoes as more or less of a primary but closing distance is difficult even if I do ambush them since the range is so limited. Also I very often end up shooting another destroyer with the torpedoes right as he torpedoes me, and we both die violently.

I will try to play as a skirmisher as you suggest. I guess the high damage of the torpedoes on the American destroyers have a bit of false allure.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
This game can be so loving retarded sometimes.

I'm playing my newly acquired Bogue. I set my planes to be in a holding pattern somewhere in the middle of the sea while trying to figure out who to attack. I start getting notifications that my planes are being shot down, despite the fact that there is no ships or planes within sight.

A bit later in the same game, I send my planes to do a manual drop near a BB and cruiser. They never made it close and all got shot down within a few seconds. They never even made it anywhere near the ships, so it can't really be AA. Unless tier 5 AA now have a 5+ km range, i really have no idea what happened to those planes.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, a bunch of torpedo bombers circling my pre-AA battleship and doing the war dance of the torpedo planes until I'm committed to a turn and they can hit my side is really annoying.

Once you have some okay AA or cruisers backing you up that becomes way less of a thing, though, as all the bullets interrupt the elegant dance.

Picking this up again because I think this is an other problem with CVs, simply sending the bombers close to me forces me to act, until he commits. I feel communication with the bombers shouldn't be like this, there needs to be some sort of point at which his planes are committed to an attack and I can react to it. Still wont solve the problem at high tiers where I can't evade all 3 squads but at least I don't have to solely focus on a loving torpedo bomber squad for 2 minutes in my tier5 battleship.

vvvv He forces me to expose myself so he makes me a better target meanwhile I can't use my guns because I can't bring them into position, so yes he does achieve something, he takes me out of the game while keeping every chance to kill me.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 28, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Picking this up again because I think this is an other problem with CVs, simply sending the bombers close to me forces me to act, until he commits. I feel communication with the bombers shouldn't be like this, there needs to be some sort of point at which his planes are committed to an attack and I can react to it. Still wont solve the problem at high tiers where I can't evade all 3 squads but at least I don't have to solely focus on a loving torpedo bomber squad for 2 minutes in my tier5 battleship.

Remember that while his planes are circling, he's not getting anything done either. And his planes have to travel back after he does commit.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Dalael posted:

This game can be so loving retarded sometimes.

I'm playing my newly acquired Bogue. I set my planes to be in a holding pattern somewhere in the middle of the sea while trying to figure out who to attack. I start getting notifications that my planes are being shot down, despite the fact that there is no ships or planes within sight.

A bit later in the same game, I send my planes to do a manual drop near a BB and cruiser. They never made it close and all got shot down within a few seconds. They never even made it anywhere near the ships, so it can't really be AA. Unless tier 5 AA now have a 5+ km range, i really have no idea what happened to those planes.

Japanese battlehips have 5km AA from tier 4, not sure about US. Longer than that with the captain skill.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dalael posted:

Remember that while his planes are circling, he's not getting anything done either. And his planes have to travel back after he does commit.

The problem is that usually there are other ships also shooting at you while you're busy doing donuts, so basically you're taking damage without being able to effectively fight back while the carrier itself is safe and sound, making him effectively the winner in such a stalemate. Not to mention that anybody else close by will also have to start evasive maneuvers or get nuked immediately, so that may well be several ships being rendered ineffective.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo I just cannot get the Wickes to work. I need to get better at dodging because dancing at max range is just getting me riddled with holes. Maybe I need to make sure there are allies that are closer in range to the target? That way they get shot first, but if my allies nearby are cruisers that outrange me....

It doesn't help that I apparently also have poo poo aim with torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Perestroika posted:

The problem is that usually there are other ships also shooting at you while you're busy doing donuts, so basically you're taking damage without being able to effectively fight back while the carrier itself is safe and sound, making him effectively the winner in such a stalemate. Not to mention that anybody else close by will also have to start evasive maneuvers or get nuked immediately, so that may well be several ships being rendered ineffective.

As a carrier player myself, I'm gonna say tough luck. :colbert: