Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Hazdoc will gladly tattoo POI! on your rear end if you ask nicely. He once mentioned that he was the best artist in cell block D and won 1st place 'Penitentiary Tattoo Artist' two years straight in San Quentin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Went from rank 10 to rank 6 3 stars with like a 90% win rate, then dropped 5 straight. Highlights include a Shokaku who decided to try to alpha strike their Lex with his one flight of torp bombers, an AFK Lex, a teamkill and a Full health NC who decided to pull right beside an enemy tirpitz who hit an island.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
people who carrier in ranked deserve a special place in matchmaking hell
or a namechange to force the [FOG] prefix HEH

anyways, the secret santa thing is interesting, you pay a buck to "send" a present to somebody else randomly, and get one in return. So you're basically buying yourself a present. Buy one, and you get a special flag at the end of the event. All presents seem to have a base value of at least 250 doubloons (if you buy for WoWS), which is equivalent to the best purchase rate from the doubloon store (100 bucks for 25k doubloons). And you have a random chance of getting a gift that gives you more than the average, up to even getting yourself a premium boat, though if you already have the premium you get the equivalent price in doubloons, which is still a big windfall.

So if you were interested in buying some doubloons, this is a pretty good deal, I think, though there is the chance the doubloons get tied up in holiday camo instead (but that poo poo is still pretty good).

Also, I got another 1k doubloons, 4 days premium, and 30 zulu and confederate flags because apparently wargaming hosed up with the tirpitz competition I had no idea I entered, and included people who played premium boats to get scores, which was against their rules. I love earning poo poo for no reason whatsoever.

Distracted
Jun 9, 2010

ranbo das posted:

Went from rank 10 to rank 6 3 stars with like a 90% win rate, then dropped 5 straight. Highlights include a Shokaku who decided to try to alpha strike their Lex with his one flight of torp bombers, an AFK Lex, a teamkill and a Full health NC who decided to pull right beside an enemy tirpitz who hit an island.

I've managed a 63% winrate for this season despite all of the AFK BB's that you get trying to leech rank because they're too lazy or bad to actually play.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Yeah I was but my teams have just been going full retard. Final straw was an enemy Kiev winning 4v1 against two of our cruisers, a destroyer and a BB. I just cant carry hard enough.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Part of the problem with people trying to kill Kievs and other super-high speed RUS DDs is that aiming does interesting things when you break 40 knots.

I could break this down into greater detail, but I've mostly nailed down how the sights work. The numbers on the sights indicate time to impact (TTI), and you aim according to where your TTI says you need to. This works almost perfectly... if the target is moving at 30 knots. Faster, and you need to lead more. Slower, and you need to lead less. At ~20 knots, you have to cut your lead in half. At ~40 knots, you need to double your lead. With the Kiev, you need to go over double the lead, which often leads to aiming so far ahead that you can't even see the Kiev if you're max zoomed. So yeah.

The Benson was much more dominant in early ranked because people actually knew about this caveat to aiming, and Kievs couldn't just engine boost and sail broadside and be immune to getting shot, they'd get plastered by the good Mogamis from virtually every range, and lose duels to Bensons at 6km and closer. But now that there's a lot more... less good players in Ranked, I imagine the Kiev's pubstomping powers are in full effect.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

The numbers on the sights indicate time to impact (TTI), and you aim according to where your TTI says you need to.
Wait, WHAT?

Edit: Oh my god, they really do. I've been playing this whole time just eyeballing the lead. Wow.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 18, 2015

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

cheese posted:

Wait, WHAT?

Edit: Oh my god, they really do. I've been playing this whole time just eyeballing the lead. Wow.

HAHAHAHAHA so have I.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Trick is figuring out the speed of your target..

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Yeah... the problem is, unless I now where my target will be after x seconds of travel time, what difference does it make?

This is where the mod came in, I assume.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the lines are marked based on the assumption that the other ship is moving at 30kts, perpendicular to you.. If they are, just look at the time to hit, move over that many notches and you'll get a hit.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ya it worked well when I was lining up volleys against cruisers going around 30knts, but I definitely way over/under shot some volleys in my Ibuki because I was trusting the numbers too much.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is usually something like this. If my shell travel time says 10 seconds, and im aiming at a slow USN Battleship or a Fuso moving laterally across my screen, I'll move the crosshair about 8 ahead on account of the sluggish speed. If its a speedy cruiser, ill move to more like 17.

Battleships are just ridiculous right now. I feel like I had a mediocre game in the Amagi because I only had two citadels, then I check the score and I did 110k

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

What I do is usually something like this. If my shell travel time says 10 seconds, and im aiming at a slow USN Battleship or a Fuso moving laterally across my screen, I'll move the crosshair about 8 ahead on account of the sluggish speed. If its a speedy cruiser, ill move to more like 17.

Battleships are just ridiculous right now. I feel like I had a mediocre game in the Amagi because I only had two citadels, then I check the score and I did 110k
I feel like the HE damage reduction from cruisers has really made it a BB's paradise. DD's are still a problem at tier 8+, but few CV's and less 'death by Mogami spam' has really improved things.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Hazdoc posted:

Also, I got another 1k doubloons, 4 days premium, and 30 zulu and confederate flags because apparently wargaming hosed up with the tirpitz competition I had no idea I entered, and included people who played premium boats to get scores, which was against their rules. I love earning poo poo for no reason whatsoever.

If I had known this I would have played my Murmansk a lot more during the contest period. Just today I had a win with a base xp of 3173 (my highest in that ship is still 3605 though).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Huh, I got that Polish DD from a Santa gift pack.

EDIT: It seems a lot like a Russian DD, fast as balls but nearly impossible to stealth-torp with.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 18, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

wdarkk posted:

Huh, I got that Polish DD from a Santa gift pack.

EDIT: It seems a lot like a Russian DD, fast as balls but nearly impossible to stealth-torp with.

Noooooooooooooooo

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Can someone explain to me how to play the russian DD's? I am really awful with those, I just don't get how they work.
Obviously they're gun boats considering teh poo poo range on their torpedoes and the god awful concealment on them...
I grind my way until tier 4 and skipped tier 5. I'm playing with the Ognevoi and I just get blasted out of games after just a few minutes. I try and stay further than 9km so I don't get spotted too easily but as soon as I shoot once, its like people never lose sight of me.

Save me Hazdoc Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 18, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This Secret Santa thing is a pretty smart way to gauge just how much their player base really cares about each game, in a way that allows them to profit directly instead of just sending out a survey that rewards 500g and a day of premium. They should honestly have 'leaked' that this event ~just might~ get you a Type 59 in WoT. They'd be able to buy a medium-sized country with the profits.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dalael posted:

Obviously they're gun boats considering teh poo poo range on their torpedoes and the god awful concealment on them...

You play 'em as gunboats, but you keep an eye out for ambush opportunities. I've had 3+ kills in a match using the 3km torpedoes, it's sheer luck but sometimes (1/12 games or so) it comes up. The insanely low reload time helps with this. Until that chance comes, you have a lovely little gunboat for the tier. Worst case, it's cheap to repair.

I just had my second match (ever) with two "It's just a flesh wound" badges. Amazing enough, it was in a Koenigsberg and they were both torpedo kills.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

Can someone explain to me how to play the russian DD's? I am really awful with those, I just don't get how they work.
I grind my way until tier 4 and skipped tier 5. I'm playing with the Ognevoi and I just get blasted out of games after just a few minutes. I try and stay further than 9km so I don't get spotted too easily but as soon as I shoot once, its like people never lose sight of me.

Save me Hazdoc Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Well, you're right about fighting at longer ranges, as your guns have good ballistics which make the long range shots easier. However, you shouldn't be picking fights with cruisers that aren't weak or distracted. You can harass BBs fairly well, and your main prey is other DDs, of course. Show yourself, focus on hitting a priority target, then hide once people take notice of you. Not taking damage is a bit more important than actually doing it, as long as your team is still alive. Your job is to draw fire onto yourself, while simultaneously avoiding it and inflicting some damage back.

Its not terribly easy, but DDs never have been. You just gotta keep at it till you get the hang of it.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

TSBX posted:

I just played with Hazdoc and he didn't sign my bote.

Oh hey I was in that game. Hazdoc said 'who the gently caress is TSBX' in Teamspeak when you piped up so senpai totally noticed you.

Hazdoc posted:

Well, you're right about fighting at longer ranges, as your guns have good ballistics which make the long range shots easier. However, you shouldn't be picking fights with cruisers that aren't weak or distracted. You can harass BBs fairly well, and your main prey is other DDs, of course. Show yourself, focus on hitting a priority target, then hide once people take notice of you. Not taking damage is a bit more important than actually doing it, as long as your team is still alive. Your job is to draw fire onto yourself, while simultaneously avoiding it and inflicting some damage back.

Its not terribly easy, but DDs never have been. You just gotta keep at it till you get the hang of it.

Really this is the goal of DDs in general. You're a priority target if you get seen, and you can't take many hits, so not taking damage is rule zero of playing destroyers. Don't shoot unless you've got an escape route planned, and don't shoot at enemy cruisers/BBs unless they're already engaged with something else or they'll just turn and plaster you, especially at close range. Torpedoes take a bit of planning to use well but they're mostly an attack of opportunity, and in Russian DDs you can poo poo them out faster than most battleships can fire their guns so as long as you're not going to hit an ally feel free to just dump them anywhere that seems promising. But by and large, dropping smoke, screening against other destroyers, popping up in unexpected places and otherwise just taking the pressure off your allies is an incredibly valuable thing, because even the dumbest pubbie can sometimes accomplish things when they're not being shot at. Just don't rely on them to save your rear end when push comes to shove.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Lakedaimon posted:

You have to take shell velocity into account as well. You'll notice a huge difference between shooting from US DDs (high arc, slow) and Soviet DDs (low arc, fast).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
With how the shell velocity works, when you're at the edges of your range, your shell is traveling very slowly. While a change in distance from 5 to 6 km may only add a second or two to your TTI, when your TTI is already 12 seconds and you're adding another 500 meters, that may add 3+ seconds to the TTI. Hence, why dramatic changes in aiming may be needed with that sort of shell.

This remains true for all ships, not just the US ones, though the US ones tend to get these high TTIs fairly easily since their shells arc more.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In other words you need to have Hazdoc as your firing officer so set up a webcam over your shoulder so he can watch the stream and advise you accordingly. Actually that might be interesting to have someone else firing your guns while you are busy dodging poo poo coming at you from all angles and trying to get into a good firing position.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
i just had a match where I was accused of "running away all match"
with 3 kills
ON A SIMS
AND IM IN THE ZONE WHILE THE IDIOT IS ON THE SOUTH BLUE LINE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonR6 posted:

In other words you need to have Hazdoc as your firing officer so set up a webcam over your shoulder so he can watch the stream and advise you accordingly. Actually that might be interesting to have someone else firing your guns while you are busy dodging poo poo coming at you from all angles and trying to get into a good firing position.

I think a team mode would be really fun, one person driving, the other aiming.

It'd also be kinda boring at times too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

i just had a match where I was accused of "running away all match"
with 3 kills
ON A SIMS
AND IM IN THE ZONE WHILE THE IDIOT IS ON THE SOUTH BLUE LINE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

gently caress that guy. BTW Hazdoc will you be on tonight? I want to sail my unspellable Polish destroyer while you yell at me for sucking.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

On a BB it might be really meh but on a destroyer where you are driving like hell, firing off volleys of torpedoes and guns, popping smokescreens and all that craziness.. Even with cruiser it might be fun.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

gently caress that guy. BTW Hazdoc will you be on tonight? I want to sail my unspellable Polish destroyer while you yell at me for sucking.

yeah, my work for the year is basically through, so I'm basically just on call for people who decide they really don't want a job in january

that means lots of boats and no money :smith:

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hazdoc posted:

yeah, my work for the year is basically through, so I'm basically just on call for people who decide they really don't want a job in january

We'll pass around a hat if you upload some more videos

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

Have you considered streaming live if you don't already? I've seen you play a few times, and I would probably subscribe to your channel just for the boats. I'm sure plenty of people would and that's a bit of income for something you already do as a hobby anyways.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So tired of firing at boats all game, bracketing them and occasionally getting one overpen and then dying. How do I not do this?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

So tired of firing at boats all game, bracketing them and occasionally getting one overpen and then dying. How do I not do this?

Stop playing the Myogi/Kawachi/South Carolina?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

aim lower
that way either all your overshoots now hit the boat, or you spash them in the water in front of the boat and miss low. And it reduces the chances that you gently caress up your aim high and only get overpens.
Its also really easy to tell when you're not aiming high enough, as you can clearly see the shells splash in front, while hits high often look good, but are just overpens nicking superstructure.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That was one of the reasons I just don't play anymore. Seems like every ship I fire, manage a 1k hit every third volley then some random gently caress obliterates me vomiting a steady stream of fire that does not seem to miss or I get torpedoed to poo poo.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Given there appears to be 6-7 SEAMN channels, which one am I heading into if I wish to bote with other people of a naval persuasion

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

WW2 Online had a couple of redeeming qualities. One of them was the ability to multi crew tanks. That was always fun to do.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HapiMerchant posted:

Given there appears to be 6-7 SEAMN channels, which one am I heading into if I wish to bote with other people of a naval persuasion

No one knows anymore because we seem to have a number of people who keep creating channels even though it is painfully evident there multiples. I think I will log in just for the hell of it and create yet another.. why not right?

Best bet is get on TS even if you are not going to use voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

demonR6 posted:

No one knows anymore because we seem to have a number of people who keep creating channels even though it is painfully evident there multiples. I think I will log in just for the hell of it and create yet another.. why not right?

Best bet is get on TS even if you are not going to use voice.

From last page - TS works but in case you cant get on for whatever reason, there's a single chat room we've been idling in, in between matches. It's FloatDownHere, password lljk . (could you update the OP, demon?)

note that you can't chat in it while in a match from what ive gathered, which is annoying as heck and makes TS better, but its there for use if peeps are idling at port.