Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
AP is typically better in many, many situations. While HE can deal good damage regardless of angle so long as it hits superstructure or something unarmored, it also will fail to damage armored ship sections and almost never citadels except on low tier ships. AP, however, deals higher damage on pens, and can be applied to all sections of a ship to great effect. Citadel hits also blow HE damage out of the water.

In my opinion, HE is fairly balanced at the moment. Sure, fire chance is "random", but so is dispersion, so is torpedo chance of causing flooding, so is dive bombers, so is AA damage, etc. The trick is to ensure you have the best odds of getting a favorable result, and reduce your enemies' odds of the same.

Phanatic posted:

Never saw this before, but I'm new at this.

Sent a torpedo bomber squadron after a cruiser, and did a manual drop at close range. Two out of the 5 torpedoes intercepted the cruiser and disappeared, but there were no hits and it suffered no damage. Is there a minimum range for them?
Yes. Airdropped torpedoes have a minimum arming distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Phanatic posted:

Never saw this before, but I'm new at this.

Sent a torpedo bomber squadron after a cruiser, and did a manual drop at close range. Two out of the 5 torpedoes intercepted the cruiser and disappeared, but there were no hits and it suffered no damage. Is there a minimum range for them?

yes, torpedoes which don't have a little tick mark above them haven't armed and won't do damage. it makes the maneuver from Red October a valid strategy in WoWs

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ship torps have that too, but it's tiny.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
When does the ranked season end, it says '1 day', but is it tomorrow at this time or do we have more like 28 hours? I've got a decent shot of hitting rank (6 now) 1 but it's not possible with my available time if it's not spread over two evenings. Bad time to go on hiatus, it seems like the game is fun again, especially ranked.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
It's incredibly frustrating to be cruising up through ranks pretty reliably (66% win rate) and then get stopped at 10 because I don't have a Tier VII/VIII ship yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Patch tomorrow.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Wow, tomorrow? Can't fuckin wait :getin:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Wargaming patch day is always bittersweet. There are usually cool new things that freshen up the game a bit, but there are usually undocumented changes that have balance-altering effects on the game. And it usually takes them three or four days to even admit it happened. And way longer to correct it if necessary. But hey fingers crossed for a good one!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Oh, by the way, your WG profile can now be set to private or link access only. Soooooooo... if you have good stats, hide em so people don't snipe your stats before a match and decide to focus you.
Or hide your poo poo stats idc

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
calling it now: patch causes every HE shell hit to register as a hit to citadel; game's population evaporates within 48 hours

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

calling it now: patch causes every HE shell hit to register as a hit to citadel; game's population evaporates within 48 hours

what are you talking about that'd be hilarious

I wonder if dive bombs can citadel (probably not)

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Just hope it's not down all day... and I hope I wake up on Patch Day morning with a Kita in my harbor.

In the mean time, I think these are my best back to back games of all time.

Rank 1 is cool, free camos rocketing me through my Nagato grind.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

what are you talking about that'd be hilarious

I wonder if dive bombs can citadel (probably not)

It'd be cool if they did... and this was the little easter egg, how long would it take for carriers to realize it and start playing again. Probably awhile.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

That would actually be a really good idea, but only for manual dive bombs. Make them work for it.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

wdarkk posted:

That would actually be a really good idea, but only for manual dive bombs. Make them work for it.

I really like this idea as well.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

well so much for rank 1 this season. i blame just cause 3.

also did i run into any goons in t5-1? tbh i generally enjoyed the team play at the lower ranks and people were nice.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Hazdoc posted:

Oh, by the way, your WG profile can now be set to private or link access only. Soooooooo... if you have good stats, hide em so people don't snipe your stats before a match and decide to focus you.
Or hide your poo poo stats idc

I've been guilty of looking people up and mocking their win rates. I know stat-shaming makes me an asshat, but some people really loving deserve it.

Here are the full patch notes: Reddit

Don't like the Zao HP nerf, but I rarely play it anymore because peak Warships is the Gremyaschy/Murmansk (surprise!) and they're all I play now. Although I will want to check out the new IX-X maps, particularly the Atlantic Canada one.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Patch is great so far, logged in and got 9.9 million credits.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwbMzKo7RvY
Shooting torpedoes into smoke has had the highest rate of success with regards to actually landing hits of all my torpedo runs. Many a ranked match has started off with my Benson running into a hostile Kiev, forcing him into smoke, and then getting a Devastating Strike on him with a torpedo while he sits in his smoke cloud, shooting away.

This time, I lined it up for a Tirpitz to coincide with the smoke torps. Best case scenario!
Edit: This is an old vid. I didn't just get this. This was the only backburnered clip that I decided to record, as the patch will probably break the rest.

Edit2: Logged in, got 12.9 mil credits. :getin:

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 22, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
HAHAHAHA that was funny! I saw the Tirpitz just said into them but you would think the other shitlord would try to evade when smoking? I mean really the whole point is to get the gently caress out not sit there waiting to possibly get dunked.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

demonR6 posted:

HAHAHAHA that was funny! I saw the Tirpitz just said into them but you would think the other shitlord would try to evade when smoking? I mean really the whole point is to get the gently caress out not sit there waiting to possibly get dunked.

He was almost certainly attempting to use the smoke to conceal himself while he fired at people. A DD (or any ship really) hiding in smoke cannot be detected except by proximity (2km, 3km with the new detection module), but they can still shoot at targets outside of the smoke, as long as somebody has them spotted for the DD. This does, however, force you to sit still, letting people launch torpedoes at you, rush into the smoke and fight you at point blank (bad if you've already launched torps, good if not), or fire at where you think the DD is in the cloud. Its possible to try and pinpoint their location by watching their shells exit the smoke.

Offensively smoking and then concealed firing from it is a common tactic amongst the more advanced DD players, and in my experience, the best counter is torp into the smoke with a tight spread. They'll be stationary, limiting their mobility options, and often broadside to the torps, and the smoke will inhibit their ability to detect the torpedoes early. The Tirpitz only likely saw the torpedoes at the same time the Fletcher did... at near point blank.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Logged in, got free stuff.. played two games, lost both matches by a landslide. Realized everyone is leagues better than me and playing when you are terrible is about as enjoyable as having a root canal and your toenails pulled off with pliers so logged back out and off to play something else. This is not fun anymore which sucks because I used to really like botes. I cannot imagine being poo poo on every game and doing nothing cannot make people stay around to play this unless of course I am the worst player period and everyone else is not having a bad experience.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Logged in, got free stuff.. played two games, lost both matches by a landslide. Realized everyone is leagues better than me and playing when you are terrible is about as enjoyable as having a root canal and your toenails pulled off with pliers so logged back out and off to play something else. This is not fun anymore which sucks because I used to really like botes. I cannot imagine being poo poo on every game and doing nothing cannot make people stay around to play this unless of course I am the worst player period and everyone else is not having a bad experience.

You're probably out of practice is all. Just play a few games with buddies until you get the hang of it.

Good news for DurosKlav: Montana earns 28% more credits from battle. It might be possible to play it and not lose huge amounts of money.

Also, with the Detection System buff, I'm considering putting that on the Roon. Concealment system seems useless for it anyways.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Got almost 9 million spacebucks as a result of the depot change. So I could probably afford to buy both the Yamato and the Zao if im so inclined

Murmansk camo is cool looking and the guns sound awesome now.

Im guessing that first port is from the anime tie-in?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Not sure if fake or real, but hello World of Warships Submarines!

One of the main protagonist ships in Arpeggio of Blue Steel is an IJN "I-400" class submarine... with 2 literal sister ships (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400-class_submarine) These subs were prime examples of the IJN "make it huge, hard to maneuver and barely usable in the intended role and it carries airplanes too!" :wtf: :wtc: school of engineering:

Wikipedia posted:

The I-400-class subs were unwieldy and relatively difficult to maneuver while surfaced owing to their small rudders. The large superstructure also caused the sub to veer off course during any strong wind. The maximum safe diving depth of the I-400-class submarine was only 82% of its overall length, (ship length 400 ft., max dive depth 330 ft.) which presented problems if the submarine was dived at too steep an angle in an emergency. Because of their large aircraft hangars and conning tower, all I-400-class boats had significant visual and radar signatures on the surface, and could be detected by aircraft relatively easily. Dive time was 56 seconds, nearly double that of U.S. fleet subs, which made the boats easier to destroy from the air when caught on the surface.

When submerged and traveling at a slow speed of two knots, the offset superstructure forced the helmsman to steer seven degrees starboard in order to steer a straight course. When conducting a torpedo attack the captain had to take into account his larger turning circle to starboard than to port, again because of the offset design. Like other Japanese submarines, crew members in Japanese subs had no air conditioning to control temperatures in tropic waters and no flush toilets. Lack of cold storage and inadequate sleeping quarters greatly limited the crew's diet and forced some of the crew to sleep on the decks or in passageways.

2 examples of this sub surrendered at the end of WW 2, and were later intentionally sunk off Hawaii by the USN so they could not be examined by the Russian navy, as stipulated in an agreement with them. They were the largest submarines of World War II and remained the largest ever built until the construction of nuclear ballistic missile submarines in the 1960s.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, I've already seen that little bit of datamined stuff, its 99% legit. It'd be pretty interesting if they actually considered it, though it IS a big player in the Arpeggio anime, which gives WG some impetus to actually investigate solutions to introducing subs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It'd be hilarious if you had to actually aim 7 degrees off center to go straight while submerged.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
wow, there's some pretty significant sound changes, my Kagero sounds vastly different than before.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I like them a lot, and the Nicholas is fun.

We also had a dude in a Wyoming who was pink for TKing shout "I AM AWAITED IN VALHALLA, WITNESS ME!" and slammed his Wyoming into an enemy Kongo on our cap in a 2 cap match, while there was noone around to help. I think he got all the commendations for resetting our cap and saving our game which we went on to win handily.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I like them a lot, and the Nicholas is fun.

We also had a dude in a Wyoming who was pink for TKing shout "I AM AWAITED IN VALHALLA, WITNESS ME!" and slammed his Wyoming into an enemy Kongo on our cap in a 2 cap match, while there was noone around to help. I think he got all the commendations for resetting our cap and saving our game which we went on to win handily.

I will forever tell people that this is how you get rid of pink. Commendable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

Yeah it gave us a hell of a morale boost and everyone played perfectly after that, it was great. We had the favour of Immortan Joe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, I've already seen that little bit of datamined stuff, its 99% legit. It'd be pretty interesting if they actually considered it, though it IS a big player in the Arpeggio anime, which gives WG some impetus to actually investigate solutions to introducing subs.

Well, also, there's another game like off to the right in China that has subs and they're super fun to both dunk on and get dunked on by. So they could just try to steal them from Steel Ocean and then gently caress it up because WG.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

:perfect:

Stealing subs from Steal Ocean is only fair play.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The HP nerf on the Zao seems weird and I'm a little bummed because I was grinding for it; now just waiting for the download to finish.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

The HP nerf on the Zao seems weird and I'm a little bummed because I was grinding for it; now just waiting for the download to finish.

It's possible that the changes to Damage Control Party will counteract that. I'll have to take mine out sometime.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
You have to be aware, the torpedo buffs don't benefit just the IJN DDs... :getin:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
New sounds are great, guns are really excellent sounding.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The patch notes stated that they inverted the pattern for IJN CV torps, does that mean now the torps will funnel into a point instead of fanning out into a pattern where you're lucky to get one hit?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
What in the christ is Anime mode?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got a Koenigsberg. Seems pretty righteous so far.