Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I got my Montana a month ago. Still have 0 games played on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well I tried Hydroacoustic Search, but turns out it doesn't add to the base 2.5 km detection range regardless of smoke :smith:

ranbo das posted:

I got my Montana a month ago. Still have 0 games played on it.
3 games 2 losses!

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Did they take away the ability for you to be able to focus fire on planes.

I can't seem to be even able to target them anymore?

I thought I used to hold control and click on them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ranked on ocean with one less bb than the other team is pure agony in a cruiser :negative:

jownzy posted:

Did they take away the ability for you to be able to focus fire on planes.

I can't seem to be even able to target them anymore?

I thought I used to hold control and click on them.

That still works, but I've noticed some ships (Arkansas Beta comes to mind) being weird and not doing that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

ranked on ocean with one less bb than the other team is pure agony in a cruiser :negative:

That still works, but I've noticed some ships (Arkansas Beta comes to mind) being weird and not doing that.

Well, the Arkansas beta has zero AA at all, so that might be it?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gwaihir posted:

Well, the Arkansas beta has zero AA at all, so that might be it?

possibly

(I didn't notice that :downs:)

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I'm clearly using a ship with AA. When I hold control I no longer get a mouse cursor. I can't indicate anything on the mini-map nor can I select planes to target...

I reset my controls to default, and still nothing. I'm wondering if I had to actually set something up to do this and now I have no idea what that something was.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

It's not you, it's a very common bug across many people's clients, and I have it as well. No ETR for fix. Current way people resolve it is by reinstalling the game client. The workaround is to press m to bring up the tactical map, then click on the enemy squadron to focus it, then return to ship view. :wargames:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I think Ocean's worse, it's this game's equivalent of Malinovka.

Ocean is by far the worst of any map Wargaming ever put into a game. Ocean is fun for IJN destroyers and carriers, everyone else is going to have a rough time.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Every once in awhile things go right:

And I don't always do that great in the Myoko.

Reading Shattered Sword right now. It's, so far, a very good book. I'm learning lots of stuff.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I really have to pick Shattered Sword up after reading Japanese Destroyer Captain. Its reviews in this thread are always very positive.

I'll make an effortpost about captain skills later, and maybe about choice Aslain's Modpack mods. DemonR6, could you put the upgrade modification guide into the OP?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I'm not hearing people gush about the Mikhail Fiddydollarov. Seems a hefty price to pay for something that only feels like it'd excel at completing 'kill airplanes' missions.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I'm not hearing people gush about the Mikhail Fiddydollarov. Seems a hefty price to pay for something that only feels like it'd excel at completing 'kill airplanes' missions.
The problem with MK is that its concealment is poop while gun range sucks (unless you go AFT). Basically a Mogami can do it better at range. However MK can be good if you can use islands to get close to enemy in fairly open sea then use smoke, but this means someone else will have to spot for you (since you get no planes).

So basically pubbies without AFT are hosed to begin with, and you need a good understanding of the ship itself to make it strong. Smoke and AA make this ship extremely powerful. MK is a strong 'support' ship and not a mid range 'brawler' like Atago or long range 'sniper' like Mogami, and the only time it can brawl is when you can smoke at relatively close range and shoot stuff nonstop with AP/HE.

e: Basically pubbies are bad that they're making a strong ship subpar. I do wish I had more captain points for Concealment tbh.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 21, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phanatic posted:

I think Ocean's worse, it's this game's equivalent of Malinovka.

At least Ocean everyone spawns together, not only does Passage have a godawful design, but it consistently fucks up the split for the spawn too - same day as the Ocean battle I screenshotted I spawned south in my NexMex, accompanied by a stock, first battle Nurnberg, a Furutaka, and an Isokaze and South Carolina who were platooned together. Faced up against us in the south were a Fuso, New York, Aoba, Cleveland, Murmansk, and Minekaze, and it was a loving steamroll.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 21, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
eh, I've been having decent games in my karlsruhe:

Shame my team was poo poo. Have the drat game was filled by some guy bitching up a storm about some new guy in destroyer running away from things instead of laying out torps. The new guy probably didn't even have sit awareness to know when he/she was detected to play those games well.

I didn't realize I had two double strikes though till the results screen came up. I know where I got one of them, but didn't know the other. One I know is when a destroyer tried to be coy and ambush me after I passed an island except the karlsruhe still has side mounted guns and also a pair of torps. The guy ate a volley and my torps hit at the same time giving me a devastating strike. the St Louis I was chasing burned down right at that which happened to be my fire right after for the double strike. The only other kill was another dd and an iwaki alpha that got stuck with its side facing me so ate the triple citadels listed there. That is obviously the other double strike, but I didn't think it was that close together.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pacra posted:

I really have to pick Shattered Sword up after reading Japanese Destroyer Captain. Its reviews in this thread are always very positive.

I'll make an effortpost about captain skills later, and maybe about choice Aslain's Modpack mods. DemonR6, could you put the upgrade modification guide into the OP?

I have Japanese Destroyer Captain on my "to read" list as well. Shattered Sword is great because it looks at Midway from the Japanese perspective and, so far, has established the planning deficiencies in the Midway operation. It debunks a lot of the assumptions that have been made over the years about the battle and the Japanese mindset going into it.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Pacra posted:

It's not you, it's a very common bug across many people's clients, and I have it as well. No ETR for fix. Current way people resolve it is by reinstalling the game client. The workaround is to press m to bring up the tactical map, then click on the enemy squadron to focus it, then return to ship view. :wargames:

I did a complete reinstall last night, and it corrected the issue.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

eh, I've been having decent games in my karlsruhe:

Shame my team was poo poo. Have the drat game was filled by some guy bitching up a storm about some new guy in destroyer running away from things instead of laying out torps. The new guy probably didn't even have sit awareness to know when he/she was detected to play those games well.

I didn't realize I had two double strikes though till the results screen came up. I know where I got one of them, but didn't know the other. One I know is when a destroyer tried to be coy and ambush me after I passed an island except the karlsruhe still has side mounted guns and also a pair of torps. The guy ate a volley and my torps hit at the same time giving me a devastating strike. the St Louis I was chasing burned down right at that which happened to be my fire right after for the double strike. The only other kill was another dd and an iwaki alpha that got stuck with its side facing me so ate the triple citadels listed there. That is obviously the other double strike, but I didn't think it was that close together.

You only have one Double Strike and one Devastating Strike. The x2 is part of the Double Strike icon.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

El Disco posted:

You only have one Double Strike and one Devastating Strike. The x2 is part of the Double Strike icon.

ah, that works better then. Still was a fun game.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Pacra posted:

Do, it's a solid read. My one gripe is that the illustrations in the Kindle version are all really small.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Remember that project r thing? Well, wargaming decided to get more people into it.

"We’re incredibly pleased to see such an overwhelming interest in Project R. Due to this enthusiasm, we’ve made adjustments to the event. We’ll still be randomly awarding the highly coveted Kamikaze R to 1,000 lucky participants and, in addition, we’ll be rewarding the Kamikaze R to players who collect 260 Pearls. "

So... yeah. Go get cracking I guess. Also, I don't know how I did it today, I started with something like 17 pearls. And then I played a bunch of games and suddenly I'm at 60. So this might be easy to at least 150. 260 might be iffy and not obtainable for me though.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
If you did everything this week then 135 (55 from weekly) is possible. I'm sitting at 100 because I am too lazy for Classes/Frags missions. I'm guessing that each week will give 55 or so, which means you'll need to do weekly for 4 weeks straight + do some other missions for 260.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/project-r-new-treasure-grand-prize-requirements/

Good news, collect 260 pearls and the Kamikaze R is guaranteed. Wargaming actually listening to feedback? What next, Kitakami released, XP based Ranked, CV overhaul, and the british tech tree released?
Haha yeah right enjoy your chinese boats nerds (i'm probably going to buy one)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aesis posted:

If you did everything this week then 135 (55 from weekly) is possible. I'm sitting at 100 because I am too lazy for Classes/Frags missions. I'm guessing that each week will give 55 or so, which means you'll need to do weekly for 4 weeks straight + do some other missions for 260.

It only runs for 3 weeks, so 260 pearls is likely to be close to all available.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Welp I guess I won't get 260 pearls then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only true premiums are *bought* premiums, so you can hold them over people's heads. :v:

Wallet Warrior 4Evah.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

It only runs for 3 weeks, so 260 pearls is likely to be close to all available.

If it's only 3 weeks then 260 isn't possible if the weekly missions stay the same.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I like the grindy content I just wish it wasn't all at one time or they counted challenges in all forms of PVP. Can't set poo poo on fire in random while I'm playing ranked. Nor do I want to go play a bunch of games under tier six where poo poo doesn't count to get pearls.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jownzy posted:

I like the grindy content I just wish it wasn't all at one time or they counted challenges in all forms of PVP. Can't set poo poo on fire in random while I'm playing ranked. Nor do I want to go play a bunch of games under tier six where poo poo doesn't count to get pearls.

There is a specific mission for tier 2, 3, 4, and 5 ships. I'm almost done with the tier 4 one, but haven't dones 2 or 3. Tier 2 is doable because of the emden, while 5 can be done in the murmansk (or the gnevy as I'm almost done with the izzy). However, I'm ponder what to do for tier 3. I'm guessing I'll just buy the st louis again and go murder the enemy to finish that one.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I'm almost done with all the pearl missions except CVs (not doin it) and DDs (super easy).
Cycling between Emden and St Louis and then Kuma and Kongo is a hilarious steak of nonstop wins.

Also I'm so close to my second four point skill for my St Louis.
I don't just like to seal club, I like to seal club as the #1 St Louis globally (by way of WTR for St Louis's with over 100 games, except for one person who has a lower win rate and average damage but a higher WTR for some reason :( ).

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, you have a few weeks. Just do those missions in whatever ship(s) you want. I'm using them as an excuse to work my way up the Russian DD line.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, you have a few weeks. Just do those missions in whatever ship(s) you want. I'm using them as an excuse to work my way up the Russian DD line.

Yup, pretty much what I'm doing as well.

Also, that previous talk about the montana versus yamato?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nevcyobcpBc

Listen at the end, guy talks quite a bit about what was exactly said here. The iowa 16" guns were very similar to the yamato's 18"s due to the higher velocity attained from the barrel length difference.

Edit: the talk is around the 8 minute mark

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 22, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Using the Emden and Albany to get the tier 2 kills is pretty easy, but the Emden is better. Trying to get the tier 4 kills with only the Arkansas Beta may prove challenging.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Pretty much how the game is these days. Dumb pubbies so you try to carry and succeed or fail :argh: Also that Umikaze got more xp :stare:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Using the Emden and Albany to get the tier 2 kills is pretty easy, but the Emden is better. Trying to get the tier 4 kills with only the Arkansas Beta may prove challenging.

You could also use the Yubari or the IJN T4 battleship if you have it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

You could also use the Yubari or the IJN T4 battleship if you have it.

Oh right, Yubari I have, Ishizuchi I do not.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Tier 4 kills via Karl. :unsmigghh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yubari also has the enhanced AA ability, 35kt top speed and 63kt! torps (only problem with them is they have such a narrow angle they're pretty much a broadside only weapon)

Too bad the Yubari is a floating tinderbox and an all around piece of poo poo when it comes to actually shooting at things.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Why would the arkansas beta be hard to get kills in? I have like a 68% win rate and 1.68 kills per game in the thing, it's a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ranbo das posted:

Why would the arkansas beta be hard to get kills in? I have like a 68% win rate and 1.68 kills per game in the thing, it's a beast.

More tedious than hard, though it's no picnic driving a stock Wyoming in tier 5/6 battles