Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
My stats are awful after 30 games, but I'm learning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Back to boats after a long hiatus and have a few questions as somewho who...missed the boat on the Marblehead and the other fun you all have been having.

I had a Phoenix which I actually love playing, I can reliably get 40k damage even on a loss, including one game where I was citadeled for 90% of my health early in the game and proceeded to pick away at the enemy and fend off DDs for about 35k damage before succumbing, and I've obviously heard good things about the Omaha and Cleveland. Similarly, I enjoyed running a Wickes using the strategy of guns first, torps when the opportunity arises someone suggested to me with enough success to plow through the grind in 3 matches so I now have a Clemson.

Still only have the tier III Japanese CA and DD, and a Wyoming which I haven't really played yet.

Question for you all is, what's the best line(s) to commit to first to get a good footing. Is the Japanese cruiser line worth it? For that matter, should I even bother with the Japanese DDs?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Tried out my Wyoming after a long hiatus and found myself so terribly slow and outraged that I was killed by a single battleship before I could get a second salvo off, even though he was broadside and I was zig-sagging into range. I didn't recall being this terribly outraged.

Then I checked the patch notes. They nerfed the hell of of the Wyoming didn't they?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Got mine just now in NA. Invite codes aren't of use to me so....

Invite Code: TWWRZ-US4MH-GGSUW-H6CKN / TWWRW-SE39C-RDEY3-89GB8

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Good job, matchmaker, looks right to me!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

You'll notice there's a weirdly named ship on your team. That's the Salem Witch, a Boss Ship that is actually a T10 Des Moines with its top speed drastically reduced. The MM is skewed because that boat is very likely to steamroll through a bunch of people.

Congrats on seeing a boss ship, though, I've only seen two this event, in the same match (against each other).

Well, let's just say he did not live up to Boss ship abilities....

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

Skill is not a prerequisite to having the boss ship, unfortunately. Or fortunately for those who go up against them.

I should elaborate, it was a map with 3 cap areas and he hung back and didn't risk himself, being the only one standing when the enemy team won.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Is SEAMN still full? I can't seem to join it in WoWS because I'm in PANSY on WoT for some reason....

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Hey fellas, so I've been playing solo with no guidance and being a stingy gently caress at low tiers (no equipment or ship mods, opting not to select skills except sixth sense since I'm not sure what works for each line, and I was wondering if I could get an invite into our clan. I tried once before a long time ago and had issues because I'm in PANSY on WoT and for some reason it acted like that prevented me from being in SEAMN. Anyone willing to lend a hand?

Edit: AbnormalReflex on NA server.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 22, 2016

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

With the actual WG made scaling zoom crosshair and the OTM thing that shows when someone changes throttle input, I can easily calculate exactly where and when to shoot and when to hold my shots.

Okay, I'm a dumb player, what are these?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So, coming back to this game, are CVs fun to play/useful to drive? If so, US or IJN line?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I haven't played warships in a while so for shits and giggles I logged in and played a game in my Clemson...got my first Kraken unleashed on the first game.

I exited the game knowing it was all downhill from there.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I present the Dunkerque, cool and good

So cool that the captain she arrived with is an academy award nominee :swoon:

Is it really worth the 25 bucks? I could use a good mid-priced credit grinder.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

Please don't tempt me to buy another premium. Eurobeat's skin is hilarious. "Visit France 1940."

I'm not a good player. I've played 4 games in tier 6 ships, ever.

I got a Dunkerque. First two games, 70-85k damage, 400k credits each, citadel city on cruisers, fires for everyone else.

Point bow at enemy, know you can reverse if needbe, and you will hold choke points.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Remind me, this is what turtleback armor is supposed to look like...

...the Dunkerque has (less effective) turtleback armor??

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Fail spawning last night. When the timer went to zero it immediately warned my intrepid friends about team damage.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So uh, the Farragut with AFT and the range upgrade feels broken. I just got top XP on 50k damage entirely with guns, setting two scharns on fire 5 times and then finishing off an NM. The floaty shells can be walked to the target and it's just...a thing of beauty when you see your damage dealt ticking up again and again.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

They were fine for the commerce raiding role in 1935. They still did well in 1939; however, their 28kts maximum speed was just good enough in the mid-1930s.

Really they needed 32kts. Especially by 1940.

I recall reading that their saving grace was that by being diesel-driven rather than oil-fired boilers or turbines they had the best acceleration of any ship of that size, so while their top speed was low, they could accelerate to full speed or change direction quickly enough to partly offset its lack of battlecruiser-like speeds.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I'm not sure how you would balance the Deutschland in warships. It has Omaha armor and goes only 26 knots with poor secondaries and basically zero AA (but it's easy enough to make up a new hull with un-Nazi-ship-like good AA). And apparently [url="https:///Weapons/WNGER_11-52_skc28.php"]the guns[/url] are barely more powerful than the Nassau's, which has two more guns to a side and better turret positions.

I think it can be done. Give it decent dispersion and modest range (better dispersion than a battleship but not as good as a cruiser) with good shell velocity, and give it really good acceleration and rudder shift/turning circle. The secondaries can be longer ranged even if they aren't as numerous as say a Cleveland, and the armor I would imagine isn't like an Omaha as it can be kind of troll. Put that at tier 5 or 6 and it could work, I think.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Question for you fellas: what's the best choice of crates to go for?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Dumb question but: can you retrain captains for ships that are unlocked, but not purchased? I can't see how to do it like in World of Tanks.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Is there any good reason not to get the Belfast? I love destroyer gameplay and if my 50k+ damage games in the Caledon are an indication, British cruisers click with me.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Question: what mods should I equip on my Belfast?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Just saw a top tier Bismarck get 9 kills out of 10 for his team. Mostly from setting everything within 8km of him on fire. My poor stock New Mexico could barely do 4k salvos to his flat broadside at 6km.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

El Disco posted:

Sounds like your shells were either bouncing off his waterline belt armor or they were going too high and hitting superstructure. If they're doing jack poo poo to his belt aim a tiny bit higher, above the belt but still below the deck. Check out the Bismark in the armor viewer and you'll see.

No I know the spot, just dispersion is a bitch. I think the B hull improves the shells too, but I'm 100% stock.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

El Disco posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the dispersion on the Bismark is worse. :shobon:

He can (and did) overmatch my bown though. Womp womp.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Dunkerque is best baguette. Crazy game, and ended it by ramming a New Mexico to death when he was on 12k hp just to secure the win. Gave him a kraken unleashed for his trouble, but his team of bads couldn't handle the baguette.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Sperglord Actual posted:

Got my third or fourth supercontainer.

...It was 250 +15% chance of flooding flags. :suicide:

I have had premium paint jobs twice in the two supercontainers I've received. Woo?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Question for you fellas; I unlocked the Mutsuki a while back, and never played it suspecting I should reconsider the current DD line.

Should I buy it and respect my captain to it so I get two destroyers/captains for the price of one?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

More grist for the Myogi chat:

First game, stock hull, 0% captain:

Kited a Kaiser, a Wyoming, an enemy Myogi, and a St. Louis the entire game, keeping them just out of range and pecking away with the rear guns. Didn't even need to use heals or repairs.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Is the Sims worth getting? It has abysmal torps but it seems to be a decent gunboat with stupid speed.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

wdarkk posted:

That's true of every T6 battleship, maybe T7 too (I know Colorado and Nagato can overmatch each others' bows). Warspite can do it too.

Only the Warspite and Bayern can overmatch. I have infuriated New Mexicos at point blank range in the Dunk. 15 inches and up does overmatch though

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

It's not especially fast iirc, the gun turrets are extremely fast, but the torps are SOOO BAAAD. I have one but it's not really a boat I ever have good games in. Even top tiered when you can bully the poo poo out of T5 DDs, it just has too many blah aspects.

Got it, nice little gunboat I'd say. You have the choice of short range fast torps or long range 49kt torps: which is better to equip? Keep in mind most of my damage I do is blazing it in my DDs.

Any advice on modules for the Sims? Obviously main armaments/aiming but what about the 3 and 4 slots?

One last thing with US DDs has been on my mind too: do I want to have Demolition expert, or the extra HP on the higher tier DDs?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So remember Myogi chat?

The Myogi is now officially the best BB I play, stats-wise :psyduck:. I suppose the matchmaking at tier 4 helps a ton to make it feel competitive.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sweet got a super container. Sweet more det flags. 500+ det flags bitches :getin:

Edit: The Derzki is the greatest suicide boat ever.

I know, right? My first game I did 80k damage before being teamkilled just before making an attack run to get a Kraken....

...god damned pubbies.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The Myogi is great, unironically. But pubbies are terrible.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Honest opinion: The ishizuchi is a better t4 ijn BB than the myogi.

I have weird ship stats.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Where is your ishizuchi. I bet you would perform even better with it over the myogi.

One of the biggest things I abuse the Myogi is I can kite/outrange other BBs at my tier (plus, as I learned today 14 inchers can citadel a Wyoming frontally). The Ishizuchi only has a 10km range and smaller caliber guns, no?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I keep getting offered the Lo Yang for 6k doubloons. They must notice how much I play destroyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

They also notice how much gold you're hoarding.

Nope! The most I have ever had is 1150 gold. They want me to impulse buy a ton of gold to buy the ship.