Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Flamu is and has always been a toxic rear end in a top hat and should never have been in any sort of community anything, but lmao @ WG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

Whats been working for people in 1v1 Tier8 Brawls?

Last time the meta was Akizuki, Tirpitz, Eugen and Graf Zeppelin, but since secondaries have been significantly nerfed I don't see any reason to play anything other than Akizuki. It loses mainly to high DPM cruisers and a few oddballs like the Atago, but nobody plays those in 1v1.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 8, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

Kinda surprised to see this because I'm sure I've played 50 brawls now and I haven't seen a single one. What is the playstyle as an Aki? Surely Le Fantasque or even Kiev would be better?

Torpedorushing everyone in Terrible/Fantasque is also a viable strat, sure. The issue with Kiev is that it has a tendency to lose to other destroyers, because you'll have to come to them with your pitiful DPM, while also being generally worse against cruisers than Akizuki. Like, Akizuki has essentially the same HE damage output as a Chapayev. Played correctly it very reliably beats every other destroyer including the hydro ones (you can just blindfire them and still win, no problem). Cruisers you're usually best off kiting, but you can also try torpedo fuckery on corners or whatever you like. There are some problematic ones though that are hard to beat (e.g. Atago). Battleships you can just burn down now that secondaries aren't much of an issue anymore. Vs a CV you cap in smoke, and if they come to contest, you torp them.

I don't know why it's not played that much, but it was the same last time - I didn't see any other Akizukis at all IIRC.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 10, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Atlanta's selling point is the DPM, not the radar. You can deny a cap if there's an island to camp right next to it, but winning games in the Atlanta pretty much requires someone else to spot for you, because it's an exceptionally poor open water ship (very short range, slow, small HP pool, bad turret angles and made of paper). You camp islands and spam HE and that's it. If you get radared by an Atlanta it's almost always your own fault, because it has terrible concealment, a very short range radar (only 8.5km) and a very short main battery range that makes it very easy to predict where it'll be positioned even if it's never been spotted. Only you can put yourself into a position where you can get radared by it; the Atlanta has no meaningful way of forcing an engagement with a DD, like e.g. Småland can.

Also, people play it in ranked etc because it's a fun ship when top tier but almost unusably bad when in the usual random battle matchmaking that pits it against T9's all the time. I was very successful with it in a T7 ranked season over a year ago now but it's definitely not easy to play.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 21, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ZombieLenin posted:

I have both a Belfast and an Atlanta, and honestly? Maybe I am not really skilled enough to play an Atlanta super well, but the Belfast with its smoke + radar + hydro + better gun characteristics has been way, way more successful for me both in ranked matches and the tier vii brawling matches.

Well, yeah, the Belfast is objectively a much stronger ship and it's much easier to play. If you have a PhD in camping islands though the Atlanta's extreme DPM does have its advantages. I personally also enjoy it a lot more than the Belfast.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Infidelicious posted:

It's not.

From T4 to T9 It's designed to give you 1 or 2 out of 10 games where you kick puppies and 3 to 4 ok games and 5 games where you're the puppy.

To make you bounce between having a great game and being frustrated to consider paying to convert xp or buy a premium to get more money for your next ship.

Same poo poo CoD does where it'll put you in sweaty games for a streak then dump you into a game with complete scrubs to keep the dopamine coming.

This is a pubbie conspiracy theory. There is no data that supports this.

The +/- 2 tier matchmaking in itself though is definitely intended to encourage progression grinding, no argument there. Some tiers are far more likely to get uptiered than others (e.g. the infamous T7 which sees T9 all the time), but this is mostly because almost nobody actually plays low tiers anymore.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
it is good but since the cv rework I've only taken it out like once or twice because it has literally zero aa and t4 matchmaking is double cv stomping on your face, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

maniacripper posted:

I would trade my pre-nerf Missouri for Smalland :( I'm such a dumbfuck for not cashing in the freexp when I had the chance.

Småland was kinda weirdly slept on in the first few months after release. I think people just took Flamu's word for it when he said it was gimmicky and couldn't do anything but hunt DD's. Ragnar is about as OP though but harder to get.