Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Playing a battleship can be pretty rough when everyone fucks off to shoot at cruisers or whatever and you get swarmed by 2 or 3 destroyers.

Let me shoot cruisers, I'm really good at that, but please god protect me from the little bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

xthetenth posted:

2 bb and a ca is pretty sweet for that reason. Thick aa that they have to overfly twice to get to the bbs and a good screen against destroyers.

I just had some guy in a cruiser jet ahead and leave me behind to the tender mercies of 2 destroyers, a cruiser and a BB. I survived, barely, and then found him and took my frustration out on him in a crushing point blank broadside.

He got really mad for some reason ???

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Enemy torpedoes, now almost as dangerous and destructive and hazardous to your health as friendly torpedoes.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I got in a fight with a Cleveland and just got torn apart by staggered volleys, it was amazing.

I really want one.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Argas posted:

My friend keeps saying that when playing cruisers or destroyers, HE is the way to go. Is he wrong?
Yes.

HE is good against destroyers/carriers/things that are way way lower or way way higher tier than you.

For fighting against cruisers or BBs (so generally most of what you're shooting at) you want to fire AP.

Destroyers can also use AP to great effect against other destroyers, since their guns aren't so big that they'll overpenetrate.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
7km is pretty close range for a battleship, and you made yourself a pretty easy target.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I unlocked the Kongo holy poo poo it's glorious.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Having really bad rounds in battleships really, really sucks, getting in bad spots and missing all your shots, etc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I wish there were more maps, in general, but oh well.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That's weird, here's my experience with cruisers so far: they own a lot at pretty much everything.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Battleships are really really great for slugging it out with a target but once you introduce more, faster moving, more maneuverable targets, it's pretty easy to cut a BB down, with the long reloads and slow turret traversal.

I mean I'm only in t5 stuff, but hunting battleships in cruisers is a lot of fun, especially if you're mixed in with some battleships of your own, since they'll draw the big guns while you just pump out salvos of fire or flank and get in torpedo range/behind their turrets.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
In my experience, the battleships get wrecked? Battleships are really good, but they're really sluggish and predictable. I got the Kongo and it owns a lot but playing it just isn't really very fun to me, so I've been sticking mostly with cruisers for now, which are very fun.

Like yeah, occasionally a BB will just reach out and smite me and there isn't really poo poo I can do, but on the other hand sometimes I'll get bracketed by torpedo bombers controlled by a good carrier player in my battleship and I'm just as hosed there.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I am having a really terrible night with this game, holy poo poo. I'm playing like poo poo and all my teams are criminally stupid.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The tier X destroyer launches like a billion torpedoes at once so it takes a while to reload.

e: At least that's what I assume it is.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 16, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

The tier 3 IJN cruiser is actually a better destroyer than the tier 3 IJN destroyer, even without the smokescreen. The tier 4 is pretty pants though, same weak guns as a destroyer but unlike the previous one has none of the agility. I'm on the long grind to the tier 6 now.

I liked the Kuma ok, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lord Koth posted:

While there's still plenty of adjustments to be made, both major and minor, one that really sticks out to me in the "I cannot believe anyone thought this change was a decent idea" is the IJN destroyer gun speed. They're basically all sitting at ~45 seconds for the 180 turn, while US ones are turning that distance in 5. That's battleship speed, which is completely unacceptable on a platform maneuvering like a destroyer needs to. While IJN destroyers have better torpedoes, they're not THAT much better - especially at the higher tiers when the US start getting pretty good ones themselves. I just cannot imagine why anyone would play the tier ~9-10 IJN destroyers currently, as at that level both sides have >10 km, 60+kt torpedoes, while the US have such better guns it's not even funny. Excellent torpedoes and guns so poor they might as well not be there vs. very good torpedoes and excellent guns is not exactly a hard choice.

Also there's the big thing of the early US destroyers having essentially a double dose of torpedoes, as they get two launchers on each side of the ship, and with the speed a destroyer turns it's pretty easy to take a quick shot with both sides for a really insane double torpedo salvo. I don't think any of the japanese destroyers get that, they just have launchers down the center.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Vorkosigan posted:

The extra 2-4k torpedo range the Japanese get makes a significant difference, especially if the enemy cruiser or battleship is in open water and you need to kill it. The 5.5k range of the Americans means you really need to get into knife-fighting range to get those 6-12 torps off, while praying their secondaries don't chew you up too badly.

That being said, I had a couple of games where I hit behind an island in my Nicholas, and Kongos sailed around the edge at 1-2k away. :getin:

I was just saying that it's another thing that closes the gap between american and japanese destroyers, torpedo wise, and american ones still have the enormous gun advantage.

e: Also I just got the Cleveland, oh man. I'm gonna miss the torpedoes of the Omaha a bit, but the guns, the guns!

Also the giant swarming cloud of AA fire anytime anything gets close to me.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 16, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Any time any planes fly over my cleveland it's just "enemy plane shot down" over and over again, it's great. I can't even imagine what the really high tier AA is like.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Saint Celestine posted:

You CAN use DP mounts as Flak.

Wait what, how?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Just had two guys in a carrier whine about how nobody protected their flank 8 minutes into a game. The entire team moved to A and B on fault line or whatever and they went and puttered off into the open ocean near C (the east side). Do carrier players not understand that they can move their ships, and in fact being near-ish to the mass of the team is really helpful in terms of travel time, protection from flanking vessels, and any planes having to get through a wall of AA and other targets before they get to the carriers.

Like, yeah, you want to be in back, but you can be in back on the side the team is on instead of off in the open water on the other side of the map like an rear end in a top hat.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Gamesguy posted:

Where they grouped and in rangers? I just had a game with the same thing and they bitched about how they were left behind by the team.

30+ knot carriers being "left behind" by 25 knot battleships, good joke.

It was two grouped langleys, which are slow as gently caress, but either way 8 minutes into the game you can still sit somewhere vaguely behind the friendly team instead of vaguely behind nothing at all.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nordick posted:

My main problem with torpedoes is that I just keep underestimating the amount I need to lead the target.

If you target something, hit x and it'll show a white arc for approximately where you need to aim your torpedoes in order to hit them if they keep travelling at the speed and heading they currently are.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Kill me.

Two of our battleships decided destroyer alley was a good place to go and promptly got crushed by enemy torpedoes as i was frantically trying to protect them.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The Cleveland is just insanely good all around.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah the detection skill seems pretty dumb considering there's giant waves of gunfire coming from enemy ships.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
American destroyers loving murder other destroyers, they're stupidly good at it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

the only good part about my Clemson is the weight of HE it can sling to set things on fire.

You uh, don't really get this game do you.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

The Clemson has poor camo, average agility and poo poo torpedoes, what is there possibly to like about it other than the twin turrets that came with the hull upgrade?

It's funny because you're consistently wrong about pretty much everything, from "don't get shot at" being bad advice (it isn't, it means don't put yourself in a position where you're gonna get shot, let other people do that), you're wrong about battleships being unkillable god monsters that are way super overpowered and the greatest (they're good to very good depending on the ship, but they have definite weaknesses and aren't even close to overpowered), and now you apparently don't get how to play US destroyers.

Hint: They have really good guns, can double down on torpedoes, and are also really fast. The Nicholas (tier 5) can do like 38 knots, and the clemson is about that as well. Hunt down puny weakling japanese destroyers that almost everyone is playing, vomit massive double torp salvos at anything larger, be fast and annoying.

e: Meanwhile, the japanese destroyers can: fire fewer slightly better torpedoes and get absolutely loving wrecked if they have to fight anything with their guns.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

I refer you to the above, where the torpedoes the Clemson carries are bad and cause you to take massive damage just in the act of firing them at a target inside their range.

The only thing the Clemson is good at is shooting gun at destroyers and light cruisers which, shockingly, is the only thing to like about the ship. This is simple reading comprehension.

You know you can like, fire torpedoes at where people are travelling, right? You don't actually have to fire them from within 5.5 km of where they are when you fire. Also, not even battleship secondaries have a enough range to start hitting people more than like 4 -4.5 km away until t7, and by then the american cruisers have better torpedoes!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Saint Celestine posted:

Shooting destroyers in my Cleveland is the funniest thing ever. Fast enough to outmaneuver torps, enough firepower to kill them in two salvos.

The cleveland is basically distilled destroyer death.

Also enemy cruiser death, and battleship death, to be honest. It's so, so good.

e: woops, poo poo, double posting, my bad.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Prav posted:

I don't think that saying that 5,5 km range torpedoes are bad should be a controversial statement.

They are bad, they're just not as bad as people are making them out to be. Are they worse than the IJN destroyer torps? Of course. However, the US destroyers have many, many other benefits and also the ability to launch double salvos up to tier 5 is really really good. Japanese destroyers have better torpedoes, but have half the amount US destroyers do (up to tier 5), while also having terrible guns, slightly less HP, and they're also not as fast.

Also, I've only run into someone who has the secondary skills and modules only once or twice, and even then you can afford to take a couple thousand points of damage or even half your health if it means you can destroy an equal tier or better battleship in your destroyer. Running through the secondary gun gauntlet for a few seconds isn't going to kill you unless you're really really extremely unlucky, and even then that will only happen very rarely.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hagop posted:

How do you DD drivers even get hit by secondaries, my secondaries gunners are hard put to land 1 out of every 6 shots on a heavy cruiser. I feel like my secondaries would never manage to kill a DD unless he drove up to 2 km came to a dead stop and waited 5 minuets.

Yeah 99% of the time you take a smattering of fire and might lose one or two thousand hit points at worst, in exchange for righteously murdering some fat battleship with like 12 torpedoes. Like my secondaries will kill destroyers if they try to like run up along side me and stay there or something dumb but anyone who darts in and peels off usually comes out on top of that exchange.

e: Also most secondaries are broadside guns, if you come in from angles you can avoid like 80% of the secondary fire completely because they can't angle to shoot you.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 17, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

I've seen a DD explode in three seconday salvos from a Kongo,

"I watched a destroyer drive up to a battleship's broadside and try and fight him there for like 15 seconds and he got owned by secondaries, therefore they are really good and destroyers suck!"

Instead of just going "no they're wrong american destroyers are garbage!" maybe try listening to all the people talking about how good and fun they are and figure out what the rest of us are doing that you aren't.

Same thing with Cruisers, really. Cruisers are really, really loving good all around ships. The only one I've played that I didn't really like a lot was the Kuma, and I'm up to tier 6 in both trees with them.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

No, reading comprehension, try again. I watched a destroyer come out of smoke from behind an island, approach a Kongo from the front quarter at full speed, and in the process of of reaching a favourable torp angle, turning, aiming and firing, the destroyer - a tier 3 - took 3 secondary salvos and died shortly after firing the torpedoes.

3 Secondary salvos is like 10+ seconds of time.
And even IF he had been there for one second and been oneshot by a secondary gun, strange poo poo happens sometimes. I've caught a stray battleship shell from across the map and been blown up in one hit while I was moving full speed after making a turn, does that mean battleships are broken and whatever I was driving is worthless? No, it doesn't, that would be really stupid.

You basically watched a pubby do something dumb and get owned, therefore destroyers suck and battleships are overpowered.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Prav posted:

Are you sure that none of those were from a primary? Because at that range primaries absolutely annihilate DDs and are pretty easy to hit with since the shell travel time is basically instant.

I did this to someone and my primary shell impacted at the same time as my secondaries and he was like "ONE SHOT BY SECONDARIES WTF". Actually, I wonder if that was NTrabbit.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Seriously, bad RNG happens, that's how things go. That doesn't mean poo poo about how good or bad the ships involved are.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
American destroyers are seriously fun and effective, way more so than the japanese ones in my experience. I drive for wherever the enemy destroyers are, commence murdering them, and then stab a bunch of fat ships in the guts with point blank torps or go hunt the enemy carriers if the path is open.

OhsH posted:

This should be fun. According to you thread goers which type of ship is the most op??

The Kongo battleship at tier 5 and the Cleveland cruiser at Tier 6 are probably the two best ships in the game for their tier right now

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

OhsH posted:

Clemson owns when you dont drive like a retard. Mayhaps pop around the corner on 2 bbs not payn attn. Which btw is how you should be driving your destroyer. All focused on getting close. Or making them drive to you.

As you can probably see by the last few pages and his posts in this thread in general, arguing with him is completely pointless.

NTRabbit posted:

Clearly you've not read a single thing

This is positively unbelievably ironic.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

BadLlama posted:

Torpedeos on the American destroyers including the clemesen are secondary weapons to be used when the opportunity presents itself don't try to force a torpedo run in those ships.

Last night I did drove my BB right between two enemy BB's and all our secondaries and primaries were firing at each other and it was cool as gently caress fyi. I took heavy damage but while they focused on me my team melted them.

I did this earlier in my Fuso against 3 enemy fusos and two destroyers. I died but not before killing both destroyers, one of the BBs and heavily wounding one of the others while my teammates focused down the third. Sometimes this game feels really great when people play well together.

NTRabbit posted:

Some people apparently incapable of grasping the simple fact...

You posting about other people not grasping simple stuff is pretty hilarious, actually

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

Not until they give us a piaster stipend, only alpha testers got a small amount of them to spend

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19255-a-word-on-piasters/

They're working on it, I guess.