Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

EU is closed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I got a Beta invite from some amazingly kind goon and have played about 20 games so far.

First impressions? It's all a bit too simple. OK I have only tier 2 ships at the moment but it really does seem to be set throttle to max, avoid running into islands, and shoot. As long as you know how to lead shots and have map awareness you seem to have all the skills you need.

I won't say it's a bad game but I will say it's not going to be the game that just about everybody wanted and I don't think it's going to be the time filler I was looking forward too. It's not grabbed me by the balls like WoT beta did that's for sure.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Pimpmust posted:

It gets more complex once carriers and battleships really enter the mix (and everyone else get access to AA and torps), there's a couple of different game modes that don't show up early either.

I don't see how it's less complex than WoT gameplay, even if it's not super complex in itself.

Having to play loads of games to get access to more interesting game play? That's a winning strategy right there.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

What do you press to watch your shells fly into a target like that?? [Around the 9.37 mark]

Burt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2015

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Ihmemies posted:

Someone posted this image but no link to mod:

Where could I find the mod?

That's the free gift ship Alpha players got, not modded.

Also the Cleveland is utterly retardedly OP and it's glorious.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So, does anyone think this game has the legs to keep running for a while when it's out of Beta?

I find it simply doesn't have enough complexity to keep me amused. I have ground out a Cleveland and a Kongo and I have no interest in getting anything else as it's a boring grind all said and done, which compared to how much I played WoTs Beta is pretty damning. I really can't put my finger on why I think it's bad, it's a combination of a few things but I can't even be arsed to log in any more and when I do I just get my 1.5 games.

I think it tries to be the game that all the serious ship spergs wanted, but it isn't, but if you point this out you just get dog piled.

Serious discussion.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Vengarr posted:

Supposedly there's a patch dropping tomorrow that adds piasters, premium ships, bug fixes, and some balance changes. Any euros wanna confirm that? It was posted on the EU forums, but apparently the US community manager went on vacation or something without telling anyone.

I looked at the EU forums for this and for that, I will never forgive you.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The Sims is really quite nice, I also got the Russian cruiser, that appears to be considerably less nice but it's early days.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

They are basically all free premium ships. it's actually quite fun, Yamato does massive damage but it's as slow as hell and the ship and guns have a glacial turn rate. all of them can be fitted with 6 upgrades so I hope they keep them in game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Poil posted:

I did a game in the XXX Yamato and it was horrible. The awful "terrain" made it impossible for me to tell if a ship was moving and how fast, where anything was on the map and then I got too motion sick to keep playing so I tried to ram an enemy Yamato just to get out of it. :barf:

We seriously need a :hardenthefuckup: emote.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aoba is quite nice.

Anyone got a link to that aim mod? I am seeing it used more and more and well, gently caress it, I needs it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

https://www.facebook.com/flodbergshipmodels?fref=photo

Guy has made a very impressive model of Yamato

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

First chance I've had to play in 2 weeks, take my Aoba out, Cleveland comes around the corner the other away and permanently destroys B turret with the first salvo. Second salvo permanently destroys A turret. It killed me with citadels before I could turn the hull and Y turret around to aim at it.

Well done wargaming.

This loving turret armour bug sucks, I have had 2 Cleveland games where I lost all my turrets.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Yeah there is nothing like zooming round a corner, firing off a salvo and watching all your shells explode 200m in front of you as they hit the invisible iceberg.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Bought the Atlanta. It's the scourge of destroyers but cannot take a hit. BBs will one shot you. I splurged out and got the tier 4 upgrade to get to top speed faster as if you do a tight turn you bleed off so much speed it's unreal. Makes a wee bit of difference in full on hard turns but it's really noticeable when you straighten up, you get back to flank speed a lot faster.

Forget the torps but my goodness does this thing poo poo out damage with the guns, and they turn 180 in like 5 seconds which makes throwing the thing about an absolute joy.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Don't let the Atlanta get into a half decent range...

I didn't actually do all that much damage but it just eats destroyers, the reload is so fast that by the time you have fired a rolling salvo you are reloaded and firing again.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Atal Vataman posted:

are people still playing this game? i think my favorite aspect of it is the huge invisible islands on the ice map. its really good

I actually find it pretty relaxing to play, which is a first for a game for me. You can log on, get in your Fuso and sit at the edge of the map shelling fools whilst getting called a n00b camper by the idiots on your team. Pretty much win-win.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Neither of you are my Dad. t:mad:

Also I can't decide if the Atlanta is the best or the worst ship in the game. When it's bad it's very, very bad but when it's good it's just utterly amazing

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So is the aiming mod no more then? I can't hit a loving thing now I have been using it!!!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

It still works.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Just had a Cleveland game where I shot down 33 planes. I bet that carrier driver was really not happy with me, especially when I went and sunk him. I even shot down a scout :haw:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So I bought the Warspite, because, gently caress you ROYAL NAVY, and the thing has glacially slow turning guns but, my word, it turns like a cruiser, the thing 180's in not much more than a couple of ship lengths it's really weird. Trouble is you then wait 72 seconds for your guns to turn around. I think this is one ship you fit the slower reload for faster turning guns mod on. I am also not sure if they already fixed the armour but it seems fine?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Other than getting to the Tier 10 why do I need to get US cruisers passed the Peniscola?

The New Orleans is just garbage compared to it. Same guns, bit more range, same ROF, tiny bit more health, sees way more tier 10 games.

Not liking this one bit. I suppose tiers 8 and 9 are going to be my speed bump to Des Moines goodness :(

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Also is the game start going utterly bonkers for anyone else? Been waiting for 2 minutes to get in a game and it keeps looking like it's trying to load me in then starts looking again.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I just had a massive Wiki session reading up on the battle of Leyte Gulf and was rather amused to learn that numerous torpedoes were blown up or diverted before they could hit their targets by both strafing from planes and 5" shell volleys.

I need my Atlanta to be able to shoot torpedoes please.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Michaellaneous posted:

I enjoy playing skycancer. I'm awful with torpedos so I just get as many fighters up as possible.

Real sad I can't rename my ships.

This will bite you in the balls that one game you get where you are the only carrier on both teams and all you have is fighters and a single dive bomber squadron.

Also, as JuffoWup stated earlier, if they don't do anything to the Warspite, Sims and Atlanta I will happily play those 3 ships for ever more. All have their pros and cons but I think WG has got the balancing just about perfect on these 3.

See an Atlanta in a DD? Run the gently caress away.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

So should I be using the stock guns or the researched guns on the Cleveland? An extra 1.5rpm from the 'better' guns seems like not enough of a boost in exchange for turrets that turn nearly as slowly as the ones on my Kongo

The Cleveland's gimmick is throwing the maximum amount of shells out as possible, I'd take the reload over turn rate anytime.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

At extreme range where you're hitting with 2-3 shells out of a 12 shot volley, HE sometimes gives me better results than AP when shooting at other cruisers or BBs. More fire, module damage, and generally less random damage. AP alternates between like 80 and 1100ish, with the occasional 3k citadel crit. HE is 380-400ish every hit, and tends to wreck up things in a hurry. Plus if you set them on fire pubbies will blow the damage control party every single time, which mean when the next shot fucks the rudder up, you light the bitch up for focus fire and they die like a scrub when everyone jumps on the easy kill.

You are obviously playing a different game than us, where does this amazing pubbie coop play happen?

Every time I see someone ping a ship for focus fire it's from some retard in a battleship who has decided to go one side all on his own and then it's "our" fault he gets slaughtered for not supporting them.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

How do you check the range of your secondaries?

Also the Kitakami. About 3/4 of the games you play you will die terribly, but oh boy, goes that last 1/4 make up for it. Just watching ships go into panic mode as 20 torps suddenly appear all over the map is amazing.

Especially if you then get chance to haul a 180 and unload all the other side...

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is it just my imagination or is it really difficult to hit ships on the blue line?

I ask as I was happily plugging away at BB the other day in my cruiser but as soon as he got stuck on the blue line I couldn't hit him, I was firing over him all the time and no matter how I corrected it continued to happen.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Kraftwerk posted:

Should I get a kitakami?

Easy answer is no. If you want to get a premium cruiser get the Atlanta. Played right the Kitakami is a monster but thise games are really rare.

I just had a game where I killed 2 that were in a division in my Atlanta. Took me like 3 minutes to get them both and I got 21 hits on them and 18 of those shots were citadel hits.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Kore_Fero posted:

I just got a Cleveland and I'm working my way up the US cruiser line. Are there any dud ships further up that I should avoid upgrading?

The US cruiser line is probably one of the best, most forgiving, and just plain fun lines there is. I found it hard dropping the Cleveland for the Pensacola, it is a way different play style, but once I actually learnt how to play the Penis, I sold my Cleveland. This happened every time I upgraded, on paper the stats seem about the same but each one is very different.

You can also use the Atlanta as a trainer and I cannot stress enough just how fun and how much money that ship makes.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Thronde posted:

Does the mod have a better UI like some of the tanks mods? I hate how they have the crossbars so inaccurate. It feels like "Hey guys, let's throw some compass and elevation marks onto the sight for effect! SO naval!"

Edit: Also, how do I reliably Warspite? Got it, but haven't mucked with it much. I know I'm supposed to dive into the middle of a brawl and let it's secondaries rip, but it seems any time I try to do that in a BB I get primaried hard.

I don't think it can do that reliably, I tend to use it as a mid range heavy hitter, get in a group with some BCs or another BB and give them some heavy support. The guns turn and reload way to slow to be solo anywhere but it can happily out turn most torp attacks so makes a great support ship.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Krogort posted:

Field report from the Atlanta: there seem to be little this ship can do that a Cleveland can't do better, and for free and 1 tier lower.
Paper turret, terrible range, average dps, cardboard armor, cosmetic torpedoes, turn like a brick.
It seems to be only good at shooting DDs but if there are none on the ennemy team or you end up on the open ocean map you will suffer. Might become good enough once you can fire at torpedoes.

You shut your whore mouth!

t:mad:

The pro Atlanta player learns how to shower everyone in HE when they can't pen.

:supaburn: Enemy on fire,enemy on fire, enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire,enemy on fire, :supaburn:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The main way that the aim mod is broken is giving you an aim point for ships sailing behind islands that will come into view. I have used it and not used it and it's no big difference in my view on open encounters. Actually thinking about it, with the lovely maps we get with all the islands and iceburgs it may be a big deal.

Meh, it's pretty dickish to have a salvo drop on a ship just as he pops round an island but gently caress it, it makes me giggle every time so AIMBOTS ARE GO!!!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I know the MM is going a bit crazy but I got into 2 games last night where we had no less than 4 more ships than the other side. I don't care how good or bad the players are, that's some poo poo and yes we won both games quite handily.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The arc of some of the US BBs is really odd, the South Carolina is almost flat.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

BLerchg posted:

So far i really like the changes with the latest patch. Looks like the average game time is going up, which means that you dont have matches consisting of 85% travel, 15% fighting but instead of 50% travel, 50% fighting.

Mine seem to be 20% travelling, 20% travelling back the way I just came, 40% desperately trying to stop 4 BBs going for a cap in my cruiser, then 20% me bitching like gently caress as all our BBs hug the blue line miles away as we get capped out.

This is happening so much it's getting beyond funny.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Also capping on that new map where you spawn on two different sides? Why the gently caress do pubbies think it's a great idea to go and try and cap when the other team has lost no ships? It is just making your self a fish in a barrel, it is beyond retarded.

I also just saw someone called out as being a "loving noob HE shooter" and "noob HE hax".

I shoot nothing but HE nowadays, it's utterly amazing :haw:

Burt fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I think I like this game simply because solo, you really can't carry that well. Yes, yes, I know we all have those amazing games with 6 kills now and then but for the vast amount of the time you are utterly dependent on your pubbies not being retards and we know how that works.

As soon as I accepted this I got a zen like calm and I just happily play away and I'm normally in the top third of exp at the very least and it's like "this is what a game should be, fun, enjoyable and relaxing".

I really have no idea what I'm trying to get across here except it ain't WoT and we will never see the levels of unicum that exists there.

Forget all this if playing in divisions.