Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I just had to deal with one of those stupid halloween event matches where you have to be on a team with a slightly buffed carrier ("phantom fortress" or whatever) but your team is also 5 ships outnumbered. Surprise surprise the carrier does not make up for the numbers imbalance and you are guaranteed to lose. Thanks Obama wargaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I did it. I destroyed the Phantom Fortress:

It was nice to be on the team with the guaranteed win

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Fergus posted:

Every monday they dish out prizes for people who won spooky Halloween event matches. It's like 10 of the XP flags, 10 credit flags, and some other flags I can't remember. 10 for each victory against spooky ships.

Oh I thought I didn't get a prize because I called the person piloting the spooky carrier a mouth breathing moron. They're all terrible at the game and there's always spelling mistakes in the chat announcements they make.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Yea just don't get caught on your own in a BB. Always try to be within range of friendly crusiers. If all your support ships are bad and die, then you probably werent going to win anyways.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Victor Surge posted:

People are saying there's an undocumented change to the gun skills in test so it only applies to 130mm or less instead of 155mm.

Those skills are already pretty useless as it is with the low-caliber restriction. Why make it even worse?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Didn't think I'd get the hang of DDs but,

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Aesis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch5BH2fxH2k
Apparently there is a bug with Dogfighting Expert :v:

yea had this happen to me last night in my langley. other carrier's fighters wiped my torpedo bomber squad in one pass. I was in such disbelief I thought the guy must have been cheating.

Also their new chat filter blocks "gay" so I can't do my trademark "im gay" at the start of every match anymore :(

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I think wargaming is trying to one-up gaijin in terms of developer incompetence.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I was having fun with this until they broke it. Broadsiding a cruiser with my BB for a one-hit-kill was not only satisfying but felt like the appropriate response to that much firepower. Doesn't seem like there's much point to playing unless they fix it, since my NM's guns are now pea shooters and my carrier planes just get owned by that dogfighting expert bug.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
if only obsidian would go one step further than their Not-World-of-Tanks modern tanks game. a Not-World-of-Warships game with Nimitz carriers and AEGIS cruisers and poo poo would be neato

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

ArchangeI posted:

"Do you have more SAMs than the other team has anti-ship missiles?" doesn't sound like a very interesting game tbh

your gay

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Definitely feels like AP was fixed a little too well. Played a quick round in my NM and the first salvo I fired dunked a Cleveland for Devastating Strike and First Blood. :getin:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I just got my Colorado and yea this thing is really good--even fully stock. The guns feel way more accurate with a more reliable spread than the NM. They also don't seem to have trouble penning anything which more than makes up for losing 4 guns.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i thought you uninstalled the game :colbert:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
after a bunch of rage-inducing bad luck trying to play destroyers, i hopped into a match today and had this happen:

:stare:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
is the DD hitbox just one big engine zone? i swear to god i get immobilized by every goddamn shot that hits me

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Wade Wilson posted:

Probably the best match I've had in babby's first carrier. Hoping the next tier carrier is better though because holy poo poo it's easy to get clobbered in the Langley if you're ever spotted.

hahahaha well I hope you're ready to be disappointed then because the bogue is hot garbage

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
trying to complete the carrier damage portion of the aircraft carrier mission is sapping my will to live. the bogue does not have enough firepower unless you take the all strike-plane config and then your planes just get shot down

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
yea i don't understand why people would alter their playstyle in the cleveland just for plane kills. the thing just swats planes out of the sky like nothing else so if you just play normally you'll get the splashes eventually

and ive done 100k/300k damage to carriers so i might as well just press on and try to finish it

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
ironically enough the carrier damage mission got a lot easier when i tried using the langley config on the bogue (1 fighter 1 torp), lol

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

:negative:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Humbaba posted:

Any advice on aiming torpedoes? I've watched a few videos, but it still seems like the red battleships turn between my spread most of the time.

If you're not using manual drops, you need to be (press the alt key). Don't place the aiming reticle on the water until your planes are nearing the white-dotted 'point-of-no-return' line---this gives you the most amount of time to account for the ship's maneuvering before the aircraft have to commit to the drop. Try to anticipate any maneuvers the ship is doing---zooming in helps with this. For example, if you see an enemy battleship trying to turn into your bombers, fly them towards his stern and then adjust the angle of the drop so the torpedo fan-reticle will be at a 90-degree angle to where his ship will be in a few seconds. Finally, get a feel for how far your torpedoes have to travel before they arm, and try to have your torps hit the water right at the edge of that range.

Most of all though, getting your torpedoes to actually hit poo poo just involves some practice.

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 1, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

PirateBob posted:

Not really. It takes time. Probably 25+ matches for the average player. And you only have 3 days to do it. It's a crappy mission imho.

could be worse. they could be having you use a carrier to damage other carr--oh wait

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
also two of the reward flags are the good ones: the +50% exp flag and the +20% credits flag so it's a better reward than 3,000 free exp for completing an exercise in masochism

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I wish I could take the not-fighter-spec on my american carriers. Unfortunately it's like game theory with other carriers because you WILL get your poo poo shot down when pubbies take fighter spec vs. your 1-1-1 or w/e

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

El Disco posted:

Take some solace in the fact that it's like MAD and they're doing nothing except cancel you out.

yea but thats no fun. honestly i wish the carrier v. carrier mechanics werent simply "more and/or higher tier fighters = win." you should be able to compete with the enemy carrier despite having less fighters.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

blowfish posted:

So a thing happened

1) :stonklol:
2) i thought anime nerds in boats couldn't shut up about kancolle so why didn't they do kancolle

anime belongs in the trash

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Lord Koth posted:

They're using Arpeggio because it has actual ships in it. If you're familiar with the TV show Andromeda then congratulations, you now have a fairly good idea as to what the "cute girls" in the series actually are. If not, the best way to say it is that they are hyper-advanced AIs, using "human" bodies made of nanomaterials, to interact with the world and gain a better understanding of humans, with female avatars initially being chosen due to most of the world referring to ships in the feminine sense. More specifically, when they initially appeared they crushed their opposition through sheer brute force, with tactics being basically unknown, and their leadership realized that if humans had technology of the same level, the Fleet would have lost easily. In the years since, the orders have basically gone down for all ships capable of generating one(heavy cruisers and above, along with at least some subs) to do so, and learn more about humans along with acting as such. Or that's the supposed reason, as there have been more than a few hints that whoever is ultimately in charge may have had other intentions. As at the present time, multiple factions have formed and some have even defected among what was at one time basically a homogenous, single-minded group.

As for the series itself, it is a rather good near-future sci-fi work. The fleet appeared in 2038 and very quickly flattened all of Earth's fleets, before stopping from going further for unknown reasons, and instituting what is effectively a global naval blockade - including aerial transport over said waters. While the world at large has only received brief mentions so far, what has been mentioned generally tracks with what would actually happen if virtually all non-landbound global trade was cut off. More specifically, the US is doing relatively fine, whereas Europe has fallen into another war. Island nations, with both the UK and Japan coming up, have unsurprisingly had the worst of it. Japan as a country has both fragmented into several governments, along with more than a little highly unethical poo poo being done to survive - and even then they're relying on occasional orbital transports from the US carrying relief supplies(The Fleet has demonstrated the ability to shoot stuff out of orbit, but they seem to generally let those through).

tell us more about your favorite anime

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
reading your masochistic posts about playing ranked is how i imagine a psychologist must feel when treating someone with self-harm issues

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I don't understand how the MM can sometimes come up with two teams that are so hilariously unbalanced:

:negative:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is it just me or are the daily multipliers only 1.5x this weekend?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

blowfish posted:

Officially, there is no 2x weekend multiplier. There are only special events with 2x multipliers that happen to occur on almost every weekend.

Oh. That's dumb. Is there at least some reason why the dailies in WoWS are 1.5x instead of 2x like in WoT?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
im real bad and have a 60% so i dont even understand how you could be so actively detrimental to your team so as to garner a 43% wr

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

PerrineClostermann posted:

can poi be japanese?

can poi be poi?
can poi poi poi?
poi poi poi poi?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

demonR6 posted:

Gentlemen.. recently I acquired the bar of soap you see in the image below. True to the label I have been able to achieve naval supremacy and win every battle I have participated in since.

you're gay, lol

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Hazdoc posted:

Both of my earned Close Quarters Experts have been against AFK people. This is sad.

yea i havent gotten a single instance of that badge yet. secondaries are so innaccurate that theyre only really worthwhile on lower tier battleships for plinking at stupid destroyers who get too close. even then its gonna be your main batteries that swat them in the end

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
It seems that Russian DD's benefit more from their GOTTA GO FAST engines and their bitchin deck guns more than they do from stealth.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

jownzy posted:

What should I do now?

you've achieved your life ambition, man. nowhere to go from here. might as well just end it all with a bullet to the brain

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

BIG HEADLINE posted:

but the line itself kind of peaks fun/effort-wise at the St. Louis and Omaha.

this is false. the cleveland is an amazing boat that cucks everything around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i one-shot a battleship today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvqogFUGJSQ