Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I hope they do something with Carriers; I kind of enjoy playing them when things go right but getting 3 or 4 sorties per game at best is pretty dreadful. Literally posting right now while waiting for all my planes to fly back to me.

At higher (6+) tiers it feels like they could add more planes per squadron, because AA gets really serious up there - guaranteed to lose attacking planes in pretty much any run makes the few attacks you do get markedly less effective (if they don't get panicked on top). Just losing one or two torpedo planes makes it *much* easier to dodge the following torpedo spread (and all ships at tier 6 and up are also fast and agile compared to earlier ships).

But that doesn't solve the "3-4 sorties per game" issue. Faster turn-around time? Higher speed on the planes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Hey man, my dive bombers have a maximum damage of 2400 per bomb *attacks target, only gets 1 hit, does 300 damage*

They cannot patch that poo poo soon enough.

Alternatively give you like 12 dive bombers in a squadron that drop a shitload of bombs that make everything go CRITICAL HIT and ON FIRE if you want them to be slightly different than just vertical torpedoes. Still, damage needs to go up to be a good chunk of what a torpedo attack is capable (less to not be totally unfair to cruisers/destroyers - not that landing a full dive bomber attack on them is going to happen).

The "force a repair" has never worked for me with dive bombers unless you send them in *way* before torpedo bombers (i.e they can't see the torp bombers coming) but by the time the torp bombers are in position they are probably a good way to regenerating their repair ability :shrug:

I do wonder if they'll be on some sort of weekly patch schedule every... thursday? or what, there isn't much point in plowing 200 games into this right now.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Max Manus posted:

All I can do now is imagining people :spergin: over how to min-max crews for optimal performance :allears:

Then getting killed quickly anyways because all they do is dick around with their crews :v:

Having an exact ingame breakdown of crew losses as you get hit / lit on fire / try to manage damage control would be pretty drat amazing though.

"The entire engine crew has died from noxious fumes? Uh... quick! Send the cabin boysgunnery officers to man the engines!"

And a little minigame where your medical station tries to patch people up as quickly as possible... hell just make it like Faster than Light :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Poil posted:

I'm sure the average botes player could manage that just fine. Or... do you intend to go with the full 1300 crew experience? Either way the lag might be an issue. :v:

I was thinking more that the number of crew would act as HP and efficiency modifiers for individual "crew" representation (and all crew can serve in some form of damage control capacity, even if the dedicated DC crew is better). Lose 50% of a "Gunners" crew (HP) and efficiency drops off - with your medical station (and medical crew!) trying to patch things up (from a pool of wounded). You can speed things up by just sending a full crew counter over to the medical station, at the cost of not being able to use that crew for awhile (so either that Gun station goes offline/greatly reduced efficieny or you plug it with some other crew counter).

Fires and above the citadel hits would get a lot more scary if they are taking chunks out of your fighting efficiency and damage control ability.

(All this just so we can have a casualties tracker for individual ships and each side of a battle display at the end of a match)

Not that Wargaming will do anything like that, 95% of players would run their battleships aground trying to manage crew while exchanging fire and dodging torpedo bombers :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 6, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nah, there's only so much you can do right now as a CV driver in the higher tiers. Those AA fields start getting ridiculous and it's not like you can do much to negate them short of bum rushing and hoping your aim is true/no one decides to turn.

Not really sure how to get around that without giving CV drivers more tools to affect their air groups approach (speed boost? Larger air groups?) when everyone and their uncle can pop planes no matter what you do.

Wouldn't be so bad if you weren't restricted to maybe 2-4 "attacks" per game.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 6, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Sims is a 5x5", 2x4 torp, 35 knot destroyer.

Greymaschiy is 4x130mm, 3x2 torp, 40 knot destroyer. Looks like soviet destroyers are going to all be fast.

Kinda expecting Soviet ships to be the wacky racing equivalent of ships for WoWs.

I'll probably hold off on pre-ordering anything to see if they add anything non-destroyerish, the low-tier japanese cruiser doesn't seem that worthwile considering that anything pre tier V goes by pretty quickly (premium/beta boost or not) - on the other hand, having an actually capable AA platform at tier IV could be... good?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Drone posted:

Have they mentioned anything about what the eventual "final" ship/country selection is going to look like? It's all but a given that they'll eventually add British ships and maybe German. Have they said anything in about adding other nation's ships, maybe as a subset of one of the larger nations? Like put some Regia Marina ships into the German tech tree, like how War Thunder has Italian planes under Germany. Or Dutch ships under the British tree.

Russian fleet is next, followed by Germans and then the Brits, unless they changed up the order again. Def Russians next though.

That will probably take them like 2-3 years to implement so who knows about how they'll handle france/italy etc.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think the "idea" behind dive bombers is to have a faster and tougher bomber squadron that can counter cruisers and possibly destroyers with their greater accuracy.

In practice they can barely land hits on a target the size of a BB, and because they are supposed to be able to hit lighter targets they aren't allowed to do much damage either. Considering the time it takes for these guys to get around they should at least be able to land a decent "cruiser salvo++" worth of damage once they do arrive - but maybe short of outright sinking a full health destroyer unless they get some criticals/citadel hits?

I remember them being quite terrifying in Navyfield for unarmored targets...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I remember in navyfields them being extremely accurate and damaging. Was looking forward to using them here until I was in the receiving end of them in a BB.

If they weren't great at dealing total damage but great at like, knocking out turrets and stuff, they could have a use. Of course, sinking a ship is preferable to disabling a ship, so when you have to pick between a dive bomber squadron and a TB squadron...

Maybe if they had more planes in the squadron, so more bombs that can hit and do terrible things ...?

Or just up their toughness/speed/turn-around time so they can be out and dropping bombs like twice as often as TBs. Maybe give them an option to load more smaller bombs (easier to score hits against smaller ships + easier to score crits/fires/disables against bigger ships) OR big 500 kg/1000 pound AP bombs that dosh out decent damage at low accuracy (or speed penalty to the planes), so they have more flexibility than the torpedo bombers?

The key is to make them less good at killing the BBs but better for dealing with smaller ships, like intended, but it's tricky with how the damage model and HP stuff works between ship classes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

But, you're giving Americans useless dive-bombers? Yes! But they will no longer be useless! Dive-bombers get a buff regarding damage output! They will now have a maximum damage of 15k, with realistically doing around ~4k damage per bomb hit.

Finally.

A wee bit concerned about the Japanese squadrons having less planes (and probably worse HP per plane). Gonna get wrecked at higher tiers.
That and the whole "american carriers focus on air superiority, which will make both sides carriers mostly useless!"

The changes to armor, penetration and shell mechanics are interesting, but let's see how they actually turn out.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Magni posted it earlier on this page.

11th may seems to be the end of the test of the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hope they fix fighter balance, or leveling a japanese carrier is gonna be a real pain in the rear end with all the high level american carriers around *and* kitted out for fighter supremacy.